Tree House Brewing Co. (February 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by Dsteyer27, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

I was way off. On tap page updated. 20 cases of very hazy left and small amount remains for fills.

2. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (155) Oct 23, 2015 New York

First time at Tree House yesterday. I was number 70 and showed up around 3:20. Had a nice chat with a few people in line and enjoyed myself. The efficiency of the place is amazing and I was actually gone by 5:00. Got to go home with 5 different beers (Very Hazy, Green, Alter Ego, Echelon, Double Shot). Worth taking the half day and 5 hours of total driving time!

Koges, tjohn2401 and Mikeypnh like this.
  3. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

My post was in regards to you saying: "how else do you think regular beers like Alter Ego (my fave after Julius) will sell out?"

4. Abbbp

Abbbp Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 Texas

I guess we'll have to wait until there is a week of no "brand new beer" and see if the other beers sell out or not.

5. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Has there been a week since they started canning that cans havent sold out?

I dont think we will ever see cans last more than a week.

6. NEB_beer

NEB_beer Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2016 Massachusetts

I think back in December there was a week where Alter Ego made it to the following Wed but I think it was only like 6 cases or something like that...

7. Horbar

Horbar Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

They ran out last week, and had no "brand new beers"

8. AdrenalinJunkee

AdrenalinJunkee Initiate (0) May 18, 2015 Connecticut

since at least last june, i havent seen cans make it past a saturday any week. whoever thinks they wont sell out is underestimating the amount of people who go to TH.

on a related note, I think the silent release is the wrong way to go about it. As noted last night, all its doing is pushing the line back later. People were still coming through the brewery for cans who were already in line all the way til 830 at least. i left at 840 after my growlers got filled *had one of the last tickets* previously for big releases that were announced, the can line would be just about dead by the time 8pm rolled around, and growlers would go til about the same time, and they would fill more then 400 tickets. I get the idea behind the silent release, but in this day and age, word gets out instantly, and then its a mad dash to treehouse whenever you can, instead of getting to somewhat plan your day around it because you know by noon that "very whacky beer" will be canned and on tap today.

just my personal feelings, ive never seen them so slammed on a weekday as they were last night.. i had to park in a field about 1/4 mile down the road lol

9. Abbbp

Abbbp Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 Texas

TWSS has doubled over to the following week I wanna say a couple weeks ago.
    Didnt triple shot come back on last week?

10. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Yes, but that wasn't canned. Growler beer frequently rolls over to the next week in limited amounts.

Horbar likes this.
  11. Tylerhurlburt

Tylerhurlburt Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 Connecticut

They should update Twitter and the website everyday at the same time. Maybe 4PM or at open. That way all the releases are silent.

12. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (1,934) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Seriously. When announced ahead of time, people get to plan and choose if they're gonna make the trip. This factors in timing and also if the person actually wants the beer. Sometimes "big" beers are released, but they've been done before. Lots of people want to try new things, but if I see KJ is released again, I would be okay with missing out because I've already had it. The end result is me not going and one less person in line.

However, with a silent release, you know a big beer is coming, but you don't know exactly what it is, so you get tons of the "just in case" crowd who line up to make sure they don't miss out just in case it's something new and exciting. This means I line up and get the KJ when I would have been okay with skipping it. I'm sure many other people feel the same way.

I would say this increases the lines and makes it even more of a shitshow, especially later in the night like AdrenalinJunkee mentioned.

It's kind of a disservice to Tree House's fanbase too. I don't have the time to stand around in line every day in the hopes of a new exciting beer being released. I would much rather know what I'm getting right out of the gates. I mean, surprise beers are fun, but if you're going to be predictable, it's not a surprise and ends up making everybody anxious. Of course, this could take a nasty turn where regular staples are released silently, and then the point I made at the beginning of this paragraph becomes even more important. Not a good direction.

Sure, you can argue that silent releases reward the regular customers, but all that accomplishes is perpetuating the limited releases inside a small circle of regulars. Dean once told me that Good Morning was limited to one 750 per person so that "as many people as possible could try it". Given the points above, silent releases are rather counter-intuitive to that thinking, don't you think?

Communication is paramount in ALL cases, especially for such a massive operation like the one Tree House is running. Radio silence benefits nobody and just creates confusion and frustration.

colby600 likes this.
  13. Horbar

Horbar Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

IMO, a planned release date would be so much worse. The crowd at opening would be a nightmare and this plan would greatly benefit the profiteers because they could line up their mules easier.

14. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (155) Oct 23, 2015 New York

What's people's opinions of Bright? Looks like I should have taken my half day today, not yesterday...

15. agreenman19

Society Trader

Not asking for super advance notice, but the day of has been working great for them so far.

16. epoole3

epoole3 Initiate (196) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts

A set time each day to announce availability would be the most sane thing to do.

17. Hos

Hos Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2015 Massachusetts

I think the way they are going about is as good as can be expected. Don't think they'll ever make it a set time because you just do not know what might come up until the beer is packaged and ready. They seem to have a pretty regular schedule already in announcing it and always keep the public informed (except silent releases). It's their call on the specials and having a silent release. I'm sure they listen to their customers and decide what they think will work best for them as a business and their customers but right now it's a given there's going to be 150+ waiting at the door every day they are open just about.

Can't wait to drink a Treehouse beer now tonight!

Cheers!

18. HopQuest

HopQuest Initiate (45) Feb 2, 2015 Connecticut

I'm not sure why they would do anything differently. They sell out of almost all their beer weekly and get nothing but positive buzz. No dealing with distro or other hassles. Sounds like they are doing everything about right.

19. AdrenalinJunkee

it trending towards thursday being silent release day aka everybody get in your cars and stack up at treehouse at all hours day. if im a business owner, I prefer the rush at opening, not towards closing. I agree with greenmans points on being able to plan your day around it better, as well as the "just in case" crowd becoming crazy. I personally skipped KJ the second time it came out because I had it and I like regular julius better. So exactly, one less person taking cans they might not have totally wanted. But with the silent release id have went up the 70 miles *for me* drive each way JUST IN CASE they released something new to me, or good morning or whatever.

dont get me wrong, im totally fine with same day announcement as release, but this silent release business is gonna turn into the mad dash at the end of the day when social media finally learns what is on tap and in cans for that day.

20. MattJ12

MattJ12 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2015 Arkansas

How long will a 750 of DS still be great if not opened?

21. Tylerhurlburt

I think they should not label any beers and not announce anything. Dark releases, dark website, dark everything. Maybe even no lights on inside the brewery just candles or flashlights. Random growler fills (L Dog's choice). Like any of their beers are bad. Just be grateful for their existence and getting to drink literally some of the best beer in the world. The complaining is making me want to complain.

22. Tylerhurlburt

I have sat on DS for 6+ months and I know others have for longer. I don't think DS ages all that well as I fell like the coffee drops off a bit as it ages but the carb and the beer itself last a long time. Especially in the flip top 750's.

23. AdrenalinJunkee

ive sat on them for 6+ months before as well and felt they held perfect. no issues with mine.

tjohn2401 likes this.
  24. MattJ12

MattJ12 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2015 Arkansas

Thanks guys. I won't be sitting on it that long but I am getting a shipment and I am loaded up on brews at the moment so probably won't get to it for a month or 2

25. AdrenalinJunkee

ya youre totally fine. treehouse knows how to fill the growlers properly. havent had any issues with them turning

26. JJGittes

JJGittes Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2015 Connecticut

Have not been to TH since KJ release in January, in which I was in and out in 3 minutes with KJ/Green/Haze cans on a Thursday night (yes, I brought my wife and got 16 cans). At that time I thought perhaps the holiday frenzy had died down a little to manageable conditions, and a sales equilibrium had been achieved that might have made TH a more customary retail experience, akin to a grocery store. Select, pay, leave. Judging from various social media platforms, Very Hazy and Bright brought the frenzy back last night and tonight. I'm surprised. I did not expect people to stand in line for hours in pursuit of Very Hazy, which I have had in the past and doesn't seem so much better than Haze itself (or better at all), to support spending 3 hours in a parking lot. But clearly, rare (or new) TH beers still inspire emotional behavior that might eventually settle down, but clearly has not. Good for TH, although challenging for the consumer, especially the consumer with limited time. I'll shoot for Wednesdays in the future, regardless of what's available. All the TH beers are great. Happy for their continued success.

BigStein88 and Evmo31 like this.
  27. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 New York

Yeah, since November's GM release things really haven't calmed down at all. I just can't bring myself to go for growler fills anymore.

Thankfully we still have Wednesdays...

Evmo31 likes this.
  28. edward_boumil

edward_boumil Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2015 New York

Its different man. I personally love it but it is not the fruit juice bomb some of the other (D)IPAs are. Very clean, citrusy and fragrant. But not as sweet.

29. BostonBrewins

BostonBrewins Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2009 Massachusetts

Curious, all this talk about silent releases. Has anyone from the brewery mentioned it as a possibility or is it purely speculation among Tree House lovers?

30. edward_boumil

edward_boumil Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2015 New York

So while at TH last night my fiancee and I overheard one of the brewers talking to a friend about future plans. I guess they are planning an expansion across the street, moving all of their brewing to a new facility while turning the current facility into retail or something like that.
    No idea on a time table for this, and not sure how much of it was just pipe dreams or shooting the shit, but thought that was really interesting. Increased capacity and outflow of beer to help meet the demand for their awesome beers, I think that is a great venture. Glad to hear these guys are doing so well and getting the recognition they deserve.

31. agreenman19

Society Trader

[​IMG]

32. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

The unexpected growlers of Green this morning was a wonderful surprise!

Evmo31 and Mikeypnh like this.
  33. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

today was perfect for me: got to Tree House around 3ish. No Line. Double shot, drivetrain. Perfect.

Newport_beerguy and Mikeypnh like this.
  34. agreenman19

Society Trader

Man I miss that about the Tree House before this winter. Saturday afternoons were the perfect time to get growlers. Looks like they're working to bring it back, thankfully. I just hope they figure something out to get more beers available then.

I know they must hate letting beers sit until the next week, but it seems like kegged beers keep longer so maybe it's not a big deal.

35. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

It looks like they had a new 60bbl fermenter delivered this month, so the output should be increasing a bit soon.

Evmo31 likes this.
  36. edallolie

edallolie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2015 Connecticut

I have to imagine a fierce fight from neighbors if that becomes the plan. The cops have already been notified because of traffic. And expansion means more customers, and MAYBE one day trucks for local distro. They would also have to build a pretty large building and parking lot in a current open space. People live in that area for the isolation. They don't want a commercial operation right down the street. At least that's how I would feel, even as much as I love TH.

hopley and SunDevilBeer like this.
  37. mrl491

mrl491 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2015 New Hampshire

I really don't think Nate hates to see beer sit until the following week.

38. runpmc007

runpmc007 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Massachusetts

Anyone else get very slight onion notes in Green and Alter? I find them in most super-hoppy IPAs fwiw, not just these two beers or this brewery.

39. JoeB51982

JoeB51982 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2008 Rhode Island

I felt like there was some onion/garlic notes to Alter Ego for sure... I know there are some hops with a higher alpha acid content which can lead to these smells/tastes. I know Julius is the base beer for Alter Ego, but I wonder if they add one of these particular hops to it. I like how some breweries list all the malts/hops in their beers. It's not a big knock on TH, but I wouldn't mind if they did the same. I can definitely pick out some certain hop aromas/tastes, but I am no hops expert.

40. chewy527

chewy527 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Connecticut

A beer brewed in the spirit of experimentation and the celebration of our 3rd anniversary… ! What we did here is we took a whole bunch of Mosaic and Amarillo hops, a classic punch of citrus purveying goodness, and added them to the Julius dry hop. The base beer is exactly the same, but the dry hop is altered tremendously. The result is a beer with all the deliciousness of the base beer with a layer of added citrusy complexity. Like devil Julius or something. A real treat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.