Tree House Brewing Co. (February 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by Dsteyer27, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeB51982

JoeB51982 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2008 Rhode Island

Fair enough... I wonder if one of those hops give the onion note in Alter Ego. I've never gotten anything like that in Green though. Usually just some tropical and grassy notes for me.

2. Mikeypnh

Mikeypnh Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 New Hampshire

I had one can of Julius that had an onion flavor a couple days ago. Then had the same batch the next day and it was fine. They were the most recent batch. It was very strange. All the other cans were on point. Not sure if I ate something weird and it totally backfired and screwed up my palate.

3. lic217

lic217 Champion (874) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

These neghibors bought the land knowing some of the land around it was Comercial property. It's one of the reasons we decided not to by a house across from a YMCA. We did not mind the YMCA, but we knew something else might eventually replace it. I did not want to live across from a Walmart. Treehouse is doing nothing illegal. I do feel bad for them, but it's just one of those things. Now they should just sell to a big treehouse fan and make a ton of money and move somewhere else where it is quiet.

4. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Sell a house because people who like beer don't know how to behave. Sounds reasonable.

sjverla and SunDevilBeer like this.
  5. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (397) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

You do realize that's been a quiet street for at least 25 years, right? And yes, there has been commercial zoning the entire time, and yes, I'm sure people who bought houses on that street knew that when they did. Up until Treehouse, those businesses were farms and an ice cream stand with a petting zoo...more or less exactly what you'd expect in fucking Monson, MA. Yes, Treehouse has done nothing illegal, but it's called being a good corporate citizen, or at the very least, a decent neighbor. No good comes from being an unwelcome party. And the worst part is is that Treehouse themselves are totally fine. It's the fucks that think driving 50 mph, littering and turning around on people's lawns are totally acceptable that are the real problem.

JKV96 likes this.
  6. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (182) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

It's not quite that simple. When you get a permit to operate a commercial use in or near a residential neighborhood it is usually a Special Permit process. As part of that process, the approving authority actually has to make a finding that, in their opinion based on the information provided by the applicant, the use will not be more injurious or detrimental to the neighborhood. If any of the information provided, such as expected traffic trips, is found to be false or is consistently exceeded, than the Building Official can issue a violation, or worse, threaten to rescind the Special Permit.

Not saying this is the situation but it could be and sometimes has to be considered.

pja786 and sjverla like this.
  7. Mikeypnh

Mikeypnh Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 New Hampshire

I felt so bad the Thursday Julius was released and they were at capacity for parking at 4. They couldn't do anything except tell us to go for a ride and check back later for parking. Obviously everyone is just going to keep turning around and hoping they get a spot. And the traffic guys were getting annoyed. They were waving people by and the people in the cars were acting like they should get a spot because they see a car with its brakes lights on or something. Like someone said above, I'm sure people were turning around in other people's driveways, close to the brewery trying to go by as many times for a spot. After about three spins I headed to Brimsfield House of Pizza for some dinner, and more importantly to go to the bathroom. Hung for a bit and hoped some spots would open up. Karma got me on the way back and I got a spot right off the bat. Not sure if the guy recognized that I hadn't driven by for a while but he was very amendment about me getting the spot. The weather was horrible that day, those poor guys were getting crushed with wind. Definitely a "worse" scenario for neighbors than the Alchemist was, I have to assume. Let's hope nothing bad happens. Bad timing for snow and huge amounts of traffic.

8. lic217

Trader

Thanks for the information. This is a good point.

9. lic217

Trader

Agree about the real problem. People are so fucking nuts.

10. randytrevor

randytrevor Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2014 Massachusetts

Wasn't Tree house forced to leave Brimfield, MA? From what I understand there was confusion about the zoning in that situation, but the residents didn't want a business there. If it keeps up won't the residents do what they can to get them out of that area too? I know if bought a house in that area I wouldn't want the added traffic, crazy driving, and people pulling into my driveway..etc.

Unfortunately the brewery can do nothing about the people going to get beer, driving at high speeds, littering, and making it generally unsafe. The best compromise it is to keep the brewery there, and then have distro at other places so as not to piss off the locals.

11. frekky

frekky Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2015 Massachusetts

Was in the 2nd car they informed had no parking. Hopped out & got in line, parking attendant had a nice chat wirh my driver and let her wait behind his own car until a space opened. She was only 15 or so spots behind me in line. We thanked him on our way out and he told us he genuinely appreciated us not acting like entitled assholes.... a little kindness goes a long way!

Mikeypnh likes this.
  12. Ianrem7

Ianrem7 Initiate (18) Feb 14, 2016 Connecticut

I'm sure this has been asked but when scrolling through the forum I didn't really see too many people talk about arrival time on Saturdays. I'll be heading up in a few weeks and was hoping some Saturday regulars could weigh in on the best time to arrive. I know it depends on the release but say it's a semi normal release with 1 extra can added how early would I need to arrive to get out quickly? Is an hour safe to get in the top 20ish? And if I was top 50ish would I be out in 30-45 minutes or so?

Thanks for your help!

13. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (595) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

It sucks for neighbors, but at the same time in the grand scheme of things they are officially open a grand total of 19 hours/week. And the early arrivers actually help to balance the traffic flow. Also agreed that while TH likes to directly serve their customers, some form of distro may be the long term answer as stated above if they desire to stay in Monson.

The good part about an expansion is it would entail review by the Town and therefore surely entail a huge parking lot to keep E Hill Rd traffic moving a little smoother. I think what Monson signed up for during the original approval of the brewery was "oh nice, a cute little brewery that will entail a little more traffic on Saturdays, like Koran Farm." I have a feeling Town Boards/personnel hadn't been in tune with the craft beer scene and the exponential growth of the top handful of breweries.

14. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

I heard a similar thing except for the part about the new location being across the street. I heard it would be in a different town. I guess we'll hear an official word soon enough.

15. VincentChase

VincentChase Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Who did you hear this from?

16. SipofZombie

SipofZombie Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

Would like to know about Saturday arrival times also as I plan on stopping in several weeks. Thanks for any info!

17. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

Cans have not been added on a saturday for months. Saturdays are rarely release days, you are pretty much getting leftovers from the beginning of the week. Sometimes they release a small batch beer for fills on saturdays. So I wouldn't count a new release. Your best chance of getting a decent amount of cans on a Saturday is if they did 4 canning runs that week and have cans left over from friday, like this most recent saturday. People still line up early on saturdays, for example, this saturday treehouse had double shot, drivetrain, alterego, bright (and green which was unlisted) for fills and bright at 6 cans pp. So no big releases really but a nicer list than alot of recent Saturdays, first 20 in line were there by roughly 9:15, first person was there around 8. If you show up at ten i would guess you would be somwhere around ticket number 50 maybe a little higher, and you would be on the road easily before noon. Later in the day it calms down alot, but they have been running out of most beer by the end of the day saturdays, especially cans, this saturday was kind of an exception because most of the fills lasted all day. If you want to be out of there early, the best time to arrive IMO is about 1.5 hours before the listed opening time on any given day for growler fills, getting there earlier than 1.5 hours can sometimes increase you're wait time. Hoped this helped, good luck! Just know alot can change depending on what is available.

18. ajcuster89

ajcuster89 Initiate (180) Apr 14, 2014 Indiana

Goddamn TH going into distro would suck. Sure, we have to stand in line for an hour, but at least we all get around 12-16 cans. If they went into package stores? Running around to every store, hoping that the "secret handshake" is not needed, scraping together a 4-pack. Pray to whatever deity you believe in that TH doesn't hit distro for a longggggg time.

Horbar likes this.
  19. Evmo31

Is self distro allowed in mass? Or would it be possible for treehouse to exclusively sell beer to a limited amount of stores? If that is possible, i don't see that being such a bad option. I know in CT laws prevent breweries from doing that, there was even a lawsuit awhile ago regarding small stores not getting gandhi-bot, and large stores getting multiple cases. After that almost all stores were just getting one case, which i think is a big factor of the "secret handshake" we see in CT for every limited beer.

20. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (237) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yes they can self distro in MA. I'd assume if Tree House ever went this direction you could still always buy direct from the brewery, at least they've always said so.

21. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

Self Distro is allowed in MA. Nightshift does it. From my very limited knowledge(just what I read here) I don't believe Tree House makes enough beer on any given week to have distro be but a half formed glimmer on the distant horizon.

22. barleyandnops

barleyandnops Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2015 New York

Had my first trip to Tree House this Saturday. Got there around 10:20, got card 71 and was done by 1130. Growlers took awhile, and I can only imagine how long all the folks behind me had to wait for theirs. In the future, I'm definitely going to try to go on a Wednesday or just pick up cans. Loving the beer (cans of Bright, 750 of Double Shot, 2L of Alter Ego)

23. Evmo31

My thinking is: If they distro cans, and still do growlers fills at the brewery it would hopefully reduce the swarms of people driving up east hill rd. I doubt this is something treehouse wants to do, just thinking out loud. I guess the amount of beer needed to start distributing would depend on how many stores they would sell to, treehouse can roughly produce the same amount of cans as alchemist makes of heady weekly. VT and MA are very different so I guess it would be hard to compare the two.

24. Tylerhurlburt

Tylerhurlburt Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 Connecticut

They should go the Trillium route and open a retail location with the option for adding more brewing capacity. Open the new location in an industrial park type area that can handle the traffic and keep the Monson location for brewing only.

HuskyHawk and jimmyfausto like this.
  25. Ianrem7

Thanks for providing such thorough feedback! Yeah the I have checked the tap list and noticed Saturdays have been a poor day to go. Unfortunately, I'll already be headed up to Mass but only on Saturday-Sunday so Saturday would be my only option to visit. I was just hoping to get a little lucky on the availability and check the Tap list before heading up there. I may go regardless but waiting for an hour and a half to come away with just 2 cans and a growler does seem like a tough pill to swallow.

edward_boumil likes this.
  26. Evmo31

Well, most likely 3-4 growlers. If you have a little extra time it is worth it. Later in the day there is almost no wait for growlers, but there may only be 1-2 options.

Ianrem7 likes this.
  27. Ianrem7

Yeah there's no reason why I shouldn't have time. I was really impressed with Trillium when I went a few weeks ago and have always wanted to stop by Treehouse. Thanks for all the help!

28. edward_boumil

edward_boumil Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2015 New York

Better than what happened on my birthday (Sat. 1/23). Drove down there, got caught in a massive snow storm, finally arrived at the brewery to learn they ran out of beer 5 minutes before I got there. I'll be honest I almost cried (like an hour and a half normally just to drive there)
    It's gotta be all those damn tourists from Jersey and New York.:wink:

29. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Should we just rename this thread "Run Tree House's business for them (February 2016)"?

Silent releases, loud releases, disto, no disto, it's really not going to matter. The demand is high and the supply is low and it's creating a difficult situation. They're handling it about as well as we could possibly expect well given the circumstances. No one is going to solve this problem with a few tweaks to how they run their Twitter feed. If the line is too long... I dunno, drink Trillium I guess. I don't think there's really anything else to be said about it.

30. skleice

skleice Aspirant (275) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

For tomorrow:
    Sap - 8 cans per plus another can planned.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe likes this.
  31. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Never had Sap. May have to make the drive this week.

MarkJC1018 likes this.
  32. edallolie

edallolie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2015 Connecticut

I think its the best regular/semi-regular offering

33. skleice

Haha...and it's my least favorite. I just can't get down with simcoe hops.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  34. edallolie

edallolie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2015 Connecticut

Lol thats how I feel about Citra hops. But I think I'm in a lonesome boat on that one.

35. Tylerhurlburt

Tylerhurlburt Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 Connecticut

Can't get down with Citra hops? :astonished:

Sap is also my least favorite of the semi regular options. Not a big piney IPA fan. To each his own though, that's what makes craft beer so great. So many choices.

HeyHayward likes this.
  36. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Connecticut

Sap is one of my favorites. When I'm trying to guess whet they'll brew next I often forget to include it because it is semi-regular. I'm wish it was in the rotation more often.

37. skleice

It's awfully quiet out there. Close to open and still no announcement...curious

Tylerhurlburt and MarkJC1018 like this.
  38. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018 Aspirant (270) Dec 27, 2009 Massachusetts

For Wednesday 2/24
    Cans Only 12-6PM
    - Julius, 6pp, plenty for today
    - Sap, 8pp, plenty for today
    Two more canning runs after today.

For more info: http://treehousebrew.com/on-tap/

jomobono likes this.
  39. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (132) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Cans only on Wednesdays. Repost this tomorrow.

40. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut

Pretty sure it's Chinook.

Mikecap likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.