Tree House Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by bring, Jan 4, 2019.

1. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (461) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Any good hikes within 10-15 miles of TH?

2. parg0

parg0 Initiate (49) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've yet to go and it's a little further (~20-25 miles) but I've heard great things about Peaked Mountain. Pretty sure Nate has tweeted about it a couple times as well. It's closer to Monson.

bellowthecat and jlordi12 like this.
  3. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (183) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Oh you are far from the worst poster in the HF thread. The bait and switch guy has that crown and no erection is massive enough to usurp it.

4. msiegel04

msiegel04 Initiate (47) Oct 5, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

I think that’s the first time I’ve heard erection and usurp in the same sentence and it’s brilliant.

5. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Initiate (199) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

I know, right? Personally I like to use “slurp”

thedaveofbeer likes this.
  6. mhull

mhull Initiate (104) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

I liked Wells State Park. There's a trail where you can get a nice view from elevation there. Nothing too challenging but I did it with 2 kids and a dog.

bellowthecat and jlordi12 like this.
  7. Schuee

Schuee Initiate (93) May 26, 2017 Connecticut

Ahhh yes! MOC makes its triumphant return today.

TreeHouse_Erection likes this.
  8. AirBob

AirBob Defender (660) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

If you're a fan of the style, then it's well worth the purchase. Toes the line between the aggressively roasty and hoppy cascadian dark ales, like Beezlebub, and the bright citrus-forward black IPAs, like Wookey and Sublimely Self Rightous.

Surprisingly balancedand true to style though not my favorite - I loved the chocolate-covered orange thing that I picked up from Sublimely Self-Rightous. Raven has more of a bright citrus/pine thing going on.

I'm typically not a huge fan of Tree Houses darker beer, but I was also pleasantlyurprised by Nomad. On par with Notch's Cerne Pivo.

sulldaddy and wasatchback like this.
  9. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Am I the only one who is disappointed by this batch of GGG?

Trull and tigg924 like this.
  10. Surverns

Surverns Initiate (18) Sep 3, 2019
    Trader

I have had two at this point and both tasted pretty different. First one was great, second one was fine but just not the same. Don't know how that's really possible though

11. thedaveofbeer

Trader

and now I am drinking Eureka with Galaxy which is dope. Best recent galaxy centered beer.

12. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (79) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

Maybe it will taste better off that gigantic new bar they built that apparently is only used to pour people beer while they stand in the required can lines.

13. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (5,158) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts

I agree. The first several times I had it I thought it was one of their best beers. This batch seems off. On the flip side, the Super Typhoon from this past week I think is exceptional.

14. Trull

Trull Initiate (187) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

You’re not the only one. It was fine but not nearly as good as I remember.....on the other hand, Doubleganger is tasting fantastic!

tigg924 likes this.
  15. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (461) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

What is Ggg?

16. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (335) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Gggreennn

jlordi12 likes this.
  17. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,077) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I only got one can and it was bbbaddd.

18. TreeHouse_Erection

Drinking Double Galaxy right now and it’s almost identical to Punch

19. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,966) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

This is just....I hate you.

20. ScaryEd

It was great on day of canning but for some reason it tasted radically different after a few days. No idea what could have caused it. All the other TH beers I had from that trip tasted the same so it wasn't just palate fatigue.

21. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (132) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

BoC finally dropped off a bit. Had my last can today and lost a bit of its pop.

Thought about swinging by again today cuz I want to try Raven, but line watch was quoting an hour. On a dreary Sunday.

Agreed on the doubleganger take. Also would have got more super typhoon today. That might be their best beer.

22. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (132) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

Bit of a stretch, but I also only had it at the source from the side pull taps. But Nomad is quite good.

23. TreeHouse_Erection

I don’t get it. Have you had either of them?? They’re both single hopped Galaxy NEIPAs from world class New England breweries, how different could they really be? I’ll lay you 3:1 on $1k that you couldn’t tell them apart blind.

Honestly, you’re being an idiot

24. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (79) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

If you really can’t tell those two beers apart then I don’t know what any of this means anymore.

25. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (328) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

I’d take that bet a hundred times over, just by smelling them from a foot away when you crack the can. Wouldn’t even need to take a sip.

Schuee, Jmr85 and Capt_Quint like this.
  26. rozzom

rozzom Champion (838) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

A bunch of us met at Other Half and did a blind ACE vs Double Citra, and Space Diamonds vs Double Galaxy taste test. Was probably the easiest blind taste test known to man. I’d have to imagine it would be the same here.

Sheppard likes this.
  27. ScaryEd

Lol I've had both. Punch is a solid Galaxy hopped IPA. Double Galaxy is one of the best beers on the planet.

If I mixed Punch and Tango, I'm not getting S&S4.

What HF does with individual hops is completely unmatched.

28. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (328) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Not to mention the Treehouse yeast esters that overpower almost all the individual hop character. Hill Farmstead is always a very pure expression of the hop varieties. Even with the three hop blends. You can still pick out identifying attributes of each hop.

HoppyJesus and Sheppard like this.
  29. mhull

Uhh in addition to what everyone else has already said...isn't Punch loaded with oats?

30. dropkick1977

dropkick1977 Initiate (59) Jan 4, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

To recap:

You asked a lot of questions about your first visit to Hill. People gave you helpful answers. You seemed genuinely excited for your first trip up. People in there shared your excitement.

Then the time for your trip comes and you "sarcastically" expressed disappointment in the sparse can availability at the same brewery you could get (mostly) unlimited growlers, unlimited regular bottle offerings, a new bourbon barrel aged coffee porter (which for some reason you didn't max out on).

I guess I'm not sure where you found those people being mean to you. People in the Hill forum love Hill beer and yes, will likely defend it when folks take shots at it (like comparing their IPAs to Tree House. I like both, but they're in different categories)

Hope you enjoyed your beers from there, though.

31. ScaryEd

I believe HF uses oats.

32. mhull

https://hillfarmstead.com/beer/double-galaxy/

Other beers like Legitimacy mention the use of oats on their site...could be an omission but I don't get any oats from DG personally.

33. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (968) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

"When I asked Hill the secret, he was evasive. He’s sick of other brewers copying his beers. He allowed that he puts some oats in every beer he makes ('I like oatmeal')"

https://newengland.com/yankee-magazine/living/profiles/shaun-hill-and-the-price-of-perfection/

34. thedaveofbeer

Trader

My hopes and dreams are that Tree House will start producing wild beers and barrel aged stouts that favorable compare to HF. Tree House certainly makes NEIPA as good, if not better, but can't touch the barrel game of HF. Tree house has made several beers that I wish would be barrel aged: For example: Impermanence, Vanilla Double Shot, fleeting moment. There have been way too many times I have google mapped myself to HF and tried to convince myself the 7 hour round trip is feasible. Thankfully I still have a case of bottles from my last trip to HF. I just wish they were all Flora- that beer is divine- like literally nectar of the gods. Also, Double Galaxy taste like Autumn from Tree House, but I would take DDH Space Diamonds over either of them. Very Green is still the best Galaxy forward NEIPA for my money.

Trull and just_another__lurker like this.
  35. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Crusader (740) Oct 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

Check out Purgatory Chasm. Quite beautiful with some solid trails over rocky ground and through the chasm itself.

36. just_another__lurker

just_another__lurker Initiate (35) Mar 21, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Purgatory is great, especially if you have kids with you/want an easier hike. It has multiple trails so it's still fun if you want a medium difficulty hike too..

And after you're done, you are close to Armsby Abby and greater good too!

jlordi12 likes this.
  37. just_another__lurker

just_another__lurker Initiate (35) Mar 21, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Space diamonds is fantastic, along with most of the other space variants from OH (space hallucinations!!)

38. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (362) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Juice Machine drop today?

39. kingsuect

kingsuect Initiate (35) Oct 6, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

yeah, 2pp

brutalfarce likes this.
  40. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (362) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader