Tree House Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by bring, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhull

mhull Crusader (415) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Mr. Morrell made a motion to deny the current application for Tree House Brewery based on public good; public safety, the traffic, noise, and the size of the operation potentially. Dr. Smith seconded. Mr. Morrell voted – aye, Mr. Harrison voted – nay, Dr. Smith voted – aye, and it was so VOTED.

Mr. Brassard noted Tree House Brewery has the right to appeal the decision with the A.B.C.C.

NickT1133 likes this.
  2. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Is this dong for real?
    "Mr. Morrell asked how long it takes before you can start to call a chestnut tree a tree".

NickT1133 likes this.
  3. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

Not afraid to admit being wrong about Monson production going to Charlton. I hope someday, Monson can re-open to the public but that didn't sound promising.

Anyway, back to what I originally came to post. I'm pretty surprised that Fleeting Moment has been available for an entire month at 4pp. It was released on May 1st. The milk stout fatigue must be setting in because they used to bring in big lines.

NickT1133 likes this.
  4. NickT1133

NickT1133 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2014 New Hampshire

It really does haha! Here's one from the initial hearing earlier this year...

"Mr. Veneto stated he has five-fold objections with multiple sub-points, and noted he heard Ms. Golinski use a lot of open-ended words that could allow individuals to receive a license and then operate in a way that is completely contradictory to what they said during this hearing."

Maybe they can just keep all parking at Charlton and just get some fancy new clean, quiet buses to haul 100 people/day who have tickets for the Monson Show. I'd be down... get a pour at Charlton first, then get on the bus and head to Monson for another 2.

5. NickT1133

NickT1133 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2014 New Hampshire

I'm with you... I'd be very okay with fewer milk stouts.

And if I understood the minutes right, it sounded like Nate and co. can still have all the single-day permits they want (granted they're approved) in Monson even though the year-long draft pour license got shot down. Next year they'll reapply as long as things go well with whatever events they hold in 2019.

6. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

5/21 batch of Julius was delicious but the latest batch of Super Sap was absolute fire. Love that beer.

Jonathan-Dixon and Schuee like this.
  7. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Savant (1,169) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

That and I am guessing costs as well? I am drinking a Vanilla Bean single shot right now and I would rather have two of these and save a few bucks than shell out 13 of double shot vanilla bean, even though DS VB is one of my favorites. I can easily say that I would rather get two moments of clarity than one bottle of Impermanence- same is true for Nervous Energy vs Fleeting Moment. I do appreciate the fact that they lowered the regular double shot to 10 bucks a bottle, but it is still two bucks too rich for me. I wish Tree House would follow Aslin and just can their imperial stouts.

8. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

Agree but mostly because the bottled version of the canned stouts are not a big enough "improvement" or change to warrant the price (other than Miles to go which I thought was a great step up from HOTS).

IWNBA tasted pretty much exactly like "All That Is" and yet costs double (slightly more).

9. yoto33

yoto33 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2018 Massachusetts

Also from the minutes regarding brewing in Monson:

"Mr. Harrison asked if they are brewing. Mr. Lanier responded, 100%. They take some of it back to Charlton, but most of it is being used as a wood barrel aging facility, and these beers have not yet been released. The beer is brewed, fermented, and then transferred from stainless steel casks into oak barrels where it sits and ages. Mr. Lanier said there won’t be a lot commercial traffic. Mr. Lanier explained at the height of brewing in Monson he was brewing ninety hours a week Monday through Saturday, thirteen batches a week. Right now, they might brew one or two."

10. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts

Brewing in Monson, would different stamps be on the different canning line?

Apology accepted.

Back to C69. Trillium did not even release Perm 69 in order and all the masses did the same exact thing that happened here. Trillium eventually laid down a hint and told people, perm are numbered by brew date, not release date. Then I wanna say in between 73-74, 69 came out and was that partial barrel aged blended stout.

Has Curiosity every been anything but an IPA? What if Nate is Barrel aging some imperial "thats what she said" for all of you up in arms. Relax, its Friday, go enjoy a beer.

11. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

I still contend the original hot take; they are not brewing Julius in Monson and trucking it over to Charlton :slight_smile:.

Good point on the 69er...I do believe that everything in the C series has been of the pale ale variety. The craziest they get there are the couple they added fruit to. I’m guessing Nate was pissed about all the vulgar cans and descriptions on facebook and said screw you guys we will skip it. I don’t really blame him, some of that stuff was creepy.

WTCrane likes this.
  12. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Skipping 69 is just another way for them to keep folks talking/paying attention to the brand.

Smart move imo. And if it eliminates some vulgar online crap for a bit, bonus

jomobono and likeadabeer like this.
  13. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Oh that would be great- The label just better say that it should be enjoyed with friends and loved ones!

WTCrane likes this.
  14. 7irondave

7irondave Pooh-Bah (1,844) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Do you also wish Tree House would charge $8/can?

15. Sheppard

Sheppard Grand Pooh-Bah (3,282) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Did a blind side by side between Hurricane and Super Typhoon. Super Typhoon is good, but I thought Hurricane was the real star of the two. I do regret not getting Tornado to have a little three way action.

thatche2 and jomobono like this.
  16. thedaveofbeer

Trader

For double shot vanilla bean? yes! Impermance, yes! Miles to go- Yes! Aslins 8 dollar canned beers are all big beers- I am certainly not suggesting that single shot should be 8 bucks. Cheers!

Mikecap, 7irondave and likeadabeer like this.
  17. thedaveofbeer

Trader

My wife and I did a blind tasting of the two, and we both agreed that Super Typhoon was better, but not enough to justify the mark up in price. FWISW- that was also my experience with the Bright and BBBright series.

18. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

Yeah, definitely. Would be much cheaper than the bottle version. Also I am pretty sure these Aslin stouts are all 15% ish, at least from what I have had.

7irondave likes this.
  19. yoto33

yoto33 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2018 Massachusetts

My favorite part was the neighbor who heard that they'd limit the events to 100 people and thought that meant 600 people would show up.

jmerizio and spersichilli like this.
  20. Shyla987

Shyla987 Zealot (575) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

I read through the entire thing. This below I absolutely believe. Nate wants an intimate experience.

"Mr. Lanier said for an example of what they might have in mind to do on East Hill Road for any given day is sell one hundred tickets, and he might be there for the day. He might give the one hundred customers who show up, by the pour, they might pull some nails on the barrels and drink beer right out of the barrel, and they might get a behind the scenes look at things they have never really done in the past. Mr. Lanier said he would really like to get to connect with his customers as that’s something he doesn’t get to do very much. Customers would be invited to stay for awhile and even tour the facilities and enjoy what they have.

Mr. Lanier said the intent is to have a single wave without the second session on a single day, and for that to be it. Monson’s not going to be a huge money-making venture that they need in order to survive, that’s what they have Charlton for. Monson is to give the guests an intimate experience and a look at where they came from."

This is all slightly heartbreaking. Not really, of course, it's difficult to feel badly for a guy who has so many riches and gets to do what he wants regularly, opening a cidery in CT, for example. But I can definitely picture Nate of Brimfield sometimes looking at Charlton and going: "What have we wrought?"

spersichilli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.