Tree House Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by bring, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (190) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Some reseller most likely

2. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (279) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

*whispers* There's no reason to put a limit on a beer that you have 1000 cases of other than to encourage people to buy more of it.

Ok, maybe there's one reason.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  3. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (100) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Yea how they come up with and adjust limits is a interesting study.

For example this batch of Snow has been on for weeks now, why still limit beers like this?

4. OldLady

OldLady Devotee (483) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Premium Trader

There are a freakin’ lot of DS bottles remaining.

OnlyTheFinest likes this.
  5. Trull

Trull Initiate (141) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Arrived at 4:10pm today with my wife, we were meeting friends who were already in line. Waited an hour in line, and boy was it cold! Still, got the max stouts and a plethora of their other beers, while the wife bought draft tickets and found seating.

Waited longer than I’d hoped, but still had a nice time and enjoyed some excellent draft beer, and came away with a fantastic selection of treehouse brews. We’ll come back for sure, but probably not until the weather warms up a bit. All in all though it was my wife’s first Treehouse experience and I think she enjoyed it despite the cold.

DrinkingThe413 likes this.
  6. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Initiate (97) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

Damn, they’re brewing huge batches of stouts now. So much for the Monson stout conspiracy

7. parg0

parg0 Initiate (35) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts

:rolling_eyes: Because the 600 cases of NE that clearly say they were brewed in Monson don't count?

8. TreeHouse_Erection

You clearly missed the discussion. It was argued that ALL stouts are brewed in Monson

9. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (302) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

I made my first trip to Tree House on Friday evening, and damn is that place impressive. Huge variety of cans, even bigger variety of taps, and I was through the line in 10 minutes tops. I also had basically stopped drinking TH the last couple of years because I truly didn’t think it was anywhere near as good as it was a few years ago, but I have been really impressed with every single one of these beers I’ve opened. Really happy to have Tree House back in my fridge.

10. DrinkingThe413

DrinkingThe413 Initiate (34) Jan 29, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Drinking a Green from 1/9/19 and noticed this can has a UPC / barcode on it. They've never had UPCs on cans that I've ever noticed. Also I have a bunch of other non-regular TH IPAs (6 of them) in the fridge and non of them have UPCs.

Sign of future distribution not being far off? Just a thought.

plliw, Larueminati and pbrian like this.
  11. Mikecap

Mikecap Crusader (784) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Seriously? When I talked to him at FoFA this summer he was planning to open his own place.

Assumed it was a brewery, not a dentistry. Damn.

12. TreeHouse_Erection

Any comparison of this Treat vs. the first release?

13. Glider

Glider Initiate (197) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Which color can? Lol

msiegel04 and Pudgemaster like this.
  14. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,714) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Will report tomorrow. I'm only going for the stouts but I'll pick up a couple cans.

15. ScaryEd

I'm loving Bear w/Coffee.

It's a very well-balanced beer. Regular Bear is good but doesn't quite stand out as a brown ale. IMO the coffee makes it stand out. It's more roasted, yet the sweeter notes come out more as well. It's like how chocolate pretzels are so delicious.

I'll get a couple more cans tomorrow if there's any left.

sulldaddy and DrinkingThe413 like this.
  16. Trull

Trull Initiate (141) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

This release of Treat is excellent! Very juicy tropical DIPA. Glad they used their house yeast, as it stands head and shoulders above its predecessor.

TreeHouse_Erection likes this.
  17. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (85) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Trader

I know it varies from week to week due to the releases, but, what are Saturdays like right at opening? I'm going to be in Hartford for a week thing for several days and I want to sneak in for cans to keep in the hotel and jet back to CT before 2pm.

18. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (190) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Saturdays almost always have around a 45-60 min long line at open.

Kraz likes this.
  19. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (85) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Trader

Thanks, I'll show up around 10 then and hope for the best

20. brewme

brewme Zealot (521) Mar 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I pulled in to the new upper lot around 10:30 a month ago (Sat., 1/12), was out the door by 11:15. Was pleasantly surprised, but I would consider that a best-case-scenario.

Kraz likes this.
  21. ScaryEd

Yep, this batch of Treat is great.

likeadabeer likes this.
  22. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (48) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

I am ever so slightly still annoyed at how bad that first batch was. I bought a case and it was the only regretable purchase I have ever had at TH. Glad they seem to have given the recipe an overhaul.

23. cambabeer

cambabeer Meyvn (1,062) Dec 29, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

Went up for the first time a few weeks ago, had a two case max from my wife (I'm the only one drinking it... I guess it makes sense... someone has to be the responsible one) Anyway, one of my few regrets is that in those two cases I allotted ONE can for Bear w/ Coffee. What a shame. I've enjoyed really everything I got, but I really should have gotten a couple more of that one. Always next time.

ScaryEd likes this.
  24. ScaryEd

Snow is great and I hope we get it year-round. Both batches I've had have been excellent.

25. Hazentinus

Hazentinus Initiate (17) Jan 4, 2018 Massachusetts

Price of stouts.
    Nervous energy- $5.30 for 16oz can. 8%abv
    Double shot- $12 for 16.9oz bottle. 8.9%abv

What am I missing? Is there a reason some stouts are in bottles and some in cans? Why are the cans half the price?

26. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (234) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't know anything about their pricing models or either beer, but for reasons that have never made sense to me, consumers will pay more for a slightly larger format (500 ml, 22 oz, 750 ml) bottle vs. cans on a price per ounce basis, and often dramatically so. Breweries tend to take advantage of this.

27. agreenman19

agreenman19 Meyvn (1,336) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut

There's no reason as far as I can tell other than people will pay more than double for glass. It doesn't really have much to do with the special beans either because OG Double Shot (back in Monson) debuted at $8-10 per bottle, more than doubling the growler price at the time.

I can see a combo of the unique beans, tweaking the process to be more bean-forward, and bottle conditioning maybe bumping the price up $2-3 to where we're at now, but it doesn't explain the jump from $5 to $10.

It kinda makes the return of Double Shot bittersweet because it's such a beloved beer and now the price per oz has nearly tripled just because it's in bottles. Oh well.

CTHopman likes this.
  28. TreeHouse_Erection

It makes it tough to buy a nice mix of bottles and cans because to buy 6 bottles is going to cost me what 3/4 of a case of cans would cost.

If Nate supposedly reads this thread it would be nice to hear an explanation of the drastic price increase when beer touches the inside of glass

29. agreenman19

I actually think they've commented on this before when DS was first released in bottles (and everybody threw a fit over the price) and it basically boils down to the "market rate" for bottles. This is what other breweries sell bottles at, so that's what we'll do. 16.9oz+ format bottles have been expensive since the dawn of time.

I think it's such a shock to us because I've not seen elsewhere a beer being offered at a certain price point for years and then suddenly shifted to a drastically different price point pretty much overnight. Seems like a lot of breweries either sell stuff in bottles OR growlers, but not both so they can justify the bottle premium with minimal whining from the peanut gallery. I think TH may be trying to justify the price bump these days by pivoting DS into a different beer that focuses more on a unique bean experience while still capitalizing on the hype DS name that has accrued over the years, but that's just rampant speculation.

I would love to see OG DS (7.6% DS, not the fake original DS released a few weeks ago) released in cans at a reasonable price point. Or even 12oz bottles in six packs if they absolutely have to be in bottles. *Cue* nostalgia back to the days where you could walk home with liters of DS for the same price as their other beers.

30. Justin42

Trader

You're right, I don't think there are any examples of a brewery moving from a cheaper format to a more expensive one. There are tons of examples of price dropping when moving from 750 ml to cans, e.g. Congress St. going from ~40 cents per ounce in bottles to ~26 cents in cans. But not the other way around.

31. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (48) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

CASH GRAB.

32. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (30) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

That’s why I always buy a minimum of 2 cans, just in case I really enjoy it at least I have a second can to savor.

Edit: and I’m really enjoying bear w/coffee as well. This is what I always hope the diabetes stouts will drink like but instead you get a syrupy lactose mess.

cambabeer likes this.
  33. agreenman19

I mean, that is kinda the point of the lactose stouts tho

34. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (40) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts

part of the idiotic Goose Island sellout changes included no more 12oz bottles for BCBS. Lagunitas Willetized also moved to bombers. Both beers went up in price per ounce, of course. I stopped buying both.

35. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (156) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Hitting up Tree House for the first time tomorrow (Friday) on my way up to Vermont. Probably just getting cans and going. Are there still lines? I would probably be getting there around 1-2.

36. TreeHouse_Erection

Yes, it's Friday

37. Justin42

Trader

You're right, I forgot about BCBS, perfect example. Same beer, but instead of what, $25 for a four pack (~52 cents / ounce), it went to ~$12/13 for a 500 ml, which is 70-80 cents / ounce.

38. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (156) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Wow, that's crazy. I thought line life everywhere was over outside of very limited or special releases. So early afternoon should I expect to be waiting an hour+?

39. agreenman19

It's actually not that bad. You're supposed to be able to get BCBS for $9.99, which is $0.59/oz, not much of an increase at all.

The biggest problem with single large-format bottles is the "rarity" aspect and subsequent gouging over MSRP.

40. Justin42

Trader

True. I think I paid $10.99 when I got a few bottles at Whole Foods in New York. But in Boston it's been closer to $13/14 for the 500 ml. But still, not the doubling of double shot.