Tree House Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by bring, Jan 4, 2019.

1. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (339) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Didn't click the link and read?

Doesn't give the style, but considering they were built on hoppy beers, that would be my guess.

2. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Aspirant (206) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

3. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (81) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

TreeHouse_Erection likes this.
  4. parg0

parg0 Initiate (49) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

The link literally says nothing about the beer?

5. Schuee

Schuee Initiate (93) May 26, 2017 Connecticut

the days of those events may be the time to visit Charlton instead.

6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,433) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I'm not certain, but I don't think this will fit in the "Notes" section on BA, or UT...:laughing:

Seven short years.

In Seven short years Tree House has grown from a ten gallon brew pot, a dream, and a barn to a beautiful destination brewery on seventy acres equipped with state of the art equipment and a beautiful environment.

In Seven short years we have hosted nearly two and half million people at four different breweries in three different locations.

In Seven short years we have brewed over 3,500 batches on four different brewhouses in four different locations.

In Seven short years we have gone from zero employees to eighty three employees, all of whom pull a tremendous weight to continue a march toward the future.

In Seven short years we have packaged around 100,000 BBLS of beer, and behind every single drop is a striving crew that is questioning every inch of the process. The same people responsible for our beer in the red barn continue to be responsible for our beer today, and it will continue to be this way for as long as physically possible. We have the leanest, meanest production crew on the planet.

In Seven short years we have created dozens and dozens of beers and established a singular flavor profile and style that is unique to our brewery.

In Seven short years our beer has been enjoyed on seven continents.

In Seven short years we have been inspired by our peers, particularly brewer-owned breweries, that strive to maintain the highest level of quality with uncompromising ideals and unfailing visions.

In Seven short years we have experienced immense joy and immense sorrow, many times within minutes of each other. We have struggled mightily to live up to expectations that have been set for us, continuously humbled by the outpouring of support we have received for our efforts.

The next several weeks will see us revisiting our past, previewing our future, and reveling in the environment we have created both for ourselves, and to share with you. It will also see us profiling the people behind the brewery, and who have made it happen with us.

Tree House is entering a period of immense creative opportunity, with several projects under way that will allow us to take chances and make beers we have dreamed about making since we began in earnest seven years ago.

Woodstock will be home to a tart beers of mixed fermentation, fruited estate grown beers, wine, cider, mead, and clean low alcohol lagers and pale ales.

Monson is home to a mass of barrels conditioning high gravity beers for as long as they need to for optimal taste and maturity.

And future plans are eminent.

To quote the immortal John Connor, The future's not set. There's no fate but what we make for ourselves."

We are extremely proud of what we have done, but restless for the road ahead. We are just a baby, and we are planning to be around for a very long time. We are energized, emboldened, and brimming with excitement for what is to come. We look forward to sharing our work with you as long as we possibly can. Thank you for supporting us, and continuing to give us the opportunity to pursue our craft with vigor, responsibility, and focus.

-thbc

7. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (151) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

Yeah I was wondering if its actually a beer. Its also not listed on the On Tap page.

8. TreeHouse_Erection

9. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,994) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Melon soda?

Lol

10. Sabtos

Society Trader

Insane notes are sketchy. Always got to keep an eye out for them insane notes.

11. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (555) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

"...pink bubblicious." Out.

Mkozaka likes this.
  12. yoto33

yoto33 Initiate (18) Jul 31, 2018 Massachusetts

You don't think they honestly taste any of that shit in their beers do you?

It's more likely that they have one of those big raffle ticket drums filled with pieces of paper with different exotic fruit names and when they brew a new beer, they give it a spin and pull four or five out.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  13. TreeHouse_Erection

For years people claim to taste bubble gum with TH beers. I know my palette is pretty bad when it comes to picking out flavors, but I've had a lot of TH beers and have never tasted anything resembling gum of any kind. Still delicious, though.

14. forum8417

forum8417 Initiate (161) Feb 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

guess im making a slight detour on my visit to cape cod tomorrow, wife is gonna be super happy with that.........

7irondave and TreeHouse_Erection like this.
  15. redbill

redbill Initiate (20) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

hard pass. call me when they taste Grape Hubba-Bubba

Newport_beerguy, jmerizio and Sabtos like this.
  16. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (1,797) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Just curious, what do you taste when you drink their beers?

7irondave and Sabtos like this.
  17. TreeHouse_Erection

My wife would say "It just tastes like beer". She hates beer but is excited about their new cider/sour projects in the works. Apparently wine as well which is also good

18. Sabtos

Society Trader

I wouldn't spend so much more money on craft beer if that's all I tasted.

19. yoto33

Well, subtlely different things depending on which one I'm drinking (within the IPA category). But generally, I taste a pleasant hop flavor that has a hint of citrus, the right amount of bitterness for my taste, and a sort of smooth body that feels nice in my mouth. You know, a Treehouse beer. It tastes good, and I'd choose it over most other beer.

Would I pretend that it tastes like literal orange juice? Of course not. It tastes like beer. Would I pretend to be able to taste not just which variety of fruit but also the state of ripeness? Come on.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  20. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (142) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Maybe they collabbed with ICP and threw some Faygo in the kettle?

killamonjaro likes this.
  21. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (37) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

The after taste in the 5/21 batch of Julius is what I believe people are referring to when they talk about bubble gum. I'm not sure if that's what I taste, but I'm not sure what an alternative description would be. It's not the hops or the malt, but something different coming from the yeast. They describe it as juicy fruit gm and melon overtones in the super treat description.

22. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (1,797) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I mean, you only listed one flavor and that's generic "citrus", which could range from lemon to mandarin orange, both of which have very different flavors. So which is it?

Oh, you also mentioned hops. Ah yes, hop flavor. May as well say it tastes like "beer".

What I'm getting at is they're not wrong to attempt to describe the flavors of a beer. I know this is crazy talk, but different beers do have different flavors. Ugh, I feel like I need to take a trip to the loony bin to electrotherapy all that craziness away.

Perhaps fruits and bubblegum aren't the best way to describe flavors in a beer, but TH's flavors more closely resemble those things than any other defined flavor, so what's so wrong about that? How else are you supposed to describe something other than making references to stuff that already exists? Maybe one day when somebody comes up with a word for "hop flavor with a hint of citrus", we can start using that to describe beers.

23. Sabtos

Society Trader

Wait, that's not what "honeydew melon" means? *opens hardbound dictionary*

24. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (220) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

At this point I'd like to think Nate is well aware of the ridiculousness of these tasting notes and plays into it. To that I say, keep em coming!

25. yoto33

I went down a similar rabbit hole when I got into hi-fi years ago. I'd listen to different speakers, different headphones, etc. and try to come up with smart-sounding ways of describing the subtleties of the sound.

Eventually I realized that it was a lot more fun to just listen to music on a kick-ass system. Similarly, I have more fun drinking a great beer if I just enjoy the taste for whatever it is rather than trying to find elaborate ways of describing it.

Other people enjoy things differently, and that's fine too.

26. purephase

purephase Initiate (136) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Regarding flavor descriptions, I thought Dan Suarez had a really good post when some of his received similar criticism a couple of months ago:

TheOneTC, inkman15, oldbean and 8 others like this.
  27. parg0

parg0 Initiate (49) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

This hits in the nail on the head IMO. It's more so about reference points than tasting a perfect reproduction of any given flavor. The "grassy" analogy works well.

Sabtos likes this.
  28. Sabtos

Society Trader

But why don't we eat fistfuls of grass though? Everything else does!

29. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,088) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

It looks like, when I pick up home brewing again, I'm gonna brew a pilsner with a calcium carbonate water adjustment.

30. Sabtos

Society Trader

Always season with salt and pepper when cooking.

Actually really, adding salinity back into their water after stripping it of other impurities is something some of my more preferred breweries do.

likeadabeer likes this.
  31. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (555) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

I really taste the bubble gum in some of their beers and it's not a great note for me personally. Treat is just not a beer I can finish for instance. So if they call it out in the description, hoo boy I can tell that's a pass.

32. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (155) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

Dont detour too much, traffic was already bad getting on the Cape last weekend around 3:30. Your detour could cost you.

33. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (81) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

I know it’s somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison, but they are serving people beer later into the evening at these 4 beer garden events in Boston than they do at their own brewery (9pm vs 7:30pm at the brewery).

I find their brewery hours somewhat perplexing...last call for draft on a Saturday at 6:30pm? what am I missing? Let’s get to 11am-9pm everyday. Seems like something simple that would help spread the flow of traffic and the demand is clearly there.

34. brewme

brewme Crusader (734) Mar 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sort of looked, but didn't see anything in this thread about the TH Boston beer garden?

35. TreeHouse_Erection

They seem to be sticking with their “small craft brewery” hours even though they’ve expanded far past that. Fox Farm is really bad with this. They close at 7 on Friday and 5pm(!!!) on Saturdays.

I’m still pushing this idea that the expansion will solve a lot of the issues. Once the second bar is open I expect pours at all opening hours and hopefully extended hours at least on Friday and Saturday. I don’t think 9pm is too crazy to hope for. Maybe extended hours for summer when people can relax outside and it’s still daylight until almost 9pm anyway.

At this point the whales draw smaller crowds and with 2 bars, there’s no reason to halt pours due to the can line with the exception of Good Morning which can be solved by releasing it twice in a month and the hype would be dead (ie JM and Kj last month).

likeadabeer likes this.
  36. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (107) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

parg0 likes this.
  37. robo55

robo55 Initiate (59) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

38. brewme

brewme Crusader (734) Mar 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Fail, back to 57:

By definition, a beer garden (taken from the German “biergarten”) is an open-air space where beer and food are served. The concept actually originated as Bavarian breweries planted gardens above cellars to keep their lagers cool enough to ferment underground. Many clever breweries turned these spaces into outdoor spaces with communal seating that serve beer and traditional food.

lic217 likes this.
  39. Glider

Glider Zealot (545) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Yeah, but in Germany beer gardens generally have big tables, hot food, and mugs full of beer from the tap. Not the roped off area where one is allowed to drink a can of beer or something in a plastic cup that passes for a beer garden around here.

lic217 likes this.
  40. kuntmissioner

kuntmissioner Initiate (37) Jan 29, 2016 Massachusetts

Idea balls, and manatees imo.

just_another__lurker likes this.