Tree House Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by bring, Jan 4, 2019.

1. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Initiate (196) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

Just visualized the line when they drop a BA stout on Friday or next Wednesday

Sabtos likes this.
  2. schinebd

schinebd Disciple (350) Feb 11, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

They had enough Very Gggreennn to cover about 960 people today and sold out around 4 PM. So essentially they had 1,000 people come though in four hours. I thought I had a good understanding of how crazy this place can get, but that blew my mind

9percenthurdle likes this.
  3. Djulius

Djulius Initiate (23) Apr 25, 2019 Massachusetts

Starting to regret never getting a driver's license. Ubering back and forth from Boston is a steep price to pay for what may just be 10 cans of beer tomorrow, but we do strange things when we're in love.

ColdOne and cp45 like this.
  4. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (553) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

For me, it begins and ends with the fact TH sells Moment of Clarity cans for less than half their bottled stouts. All their bottled offerings seems like a relative gouge after that.

I also remember getting 750ml growlers of Double Shot for $10/fill back before the canning days. Tough to then pay $12 for 500ml.

But I fully admit my perspective is almost tainted because of my history. If I was going to some OTHER hyped brewery I'd never drank before, their stout prices probably wouldn't seem as bad.

Beardaxe, 9percenthurdle and Sabtos like this.
  5. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,283) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

wat

followerofmen, ransom22 and Sheppard like this.
  6. Djulius

Are you familiar with Autism Spectrum Disorder and its manifestation of what are colloquially referred to as "special interests"?

7. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry Initiate (91) Feb 9, 2017 Florida
    Trader

If your history is $10 fills for a 750, I get it. But to me their bottle prices are very reasonable. In Florida a 22oz MZ is going to cost me $18, AC bottles range from $22-35, Cycle $25-35. We have great stouts down here but they are very proud of them. I actually really like the 500ml bottles that TH is offering. That is something I can actually drink by myself. CCB started doing these on some releases but the last 500ml I bought from them was $20.

8. dele

dele Initiate (44) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

I definitely think the prices have something to do with how long the stouts last. I know lots of people spend tons of $$ at TH, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who walks in there with a budget. As I'm filling out my card and starting to run up against my spending limit, I typically ask myself, "would I rather have one double shot, or three extra cans of Green?" And the answer is always the Green, or whatever core IPA they have that day.

9. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (86) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I will say that not long ago i would be ditching work early and driving in horrible rush hour traffic to make it out to tree house if they released a double shot or some other bottled stout. I'm still very much interested in the stouts, but i guess i've lost the fomo and i realized my bank account cant handle spending $100+ on a couple of bottles, especially when they release them this often. It's just nice to know that when i do decide to go next there will most likely be stouts available.

Schuee, Sheppard and likeadabeer like this.
  10. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (163) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think the bottled stouts sitting is related to them completely flooding the market with them this year. 2018 saw a drought of Double Shot from Christmas 2017 until October, when suddenly they started coming fast and loose. For a while there it felt like we were getting a new stout offering every week, and there's only so many varying adjuncts tossed into in what I'm sure is largely the same base stout you can take before people just lose interest.

Good Friday last year when they dropped Impermanence was close to a full parking lot wrap and nearly a 3 hour line. Now it sits for weeks along with the other bottles. High price + high supply and high limits means hype/demand takes a nose dive.

11. Sabtos

Society Trader

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Chuckdiesel24, eaglephile and MTKATL like this.
  12. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Trader

You all make very good points. I still find it hard to accept the "high price" being a factor, but perhaps I am just looking at it wrong. Perhaps Florida stout makers are asking too much for their beer.

nesarebad likes this.
  13. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (183) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

are those prices for non barrel aged stouts???? Yikes

14. Sabtos

Society Trader

It's too much and it's not enough. People line up and buy it within hours of release at some of those FL breweries. It's slowed down a bit for most of Cycle's releases, and Cigar City always has plenty of inventory for most of theirs, but for the most part, the market will bear it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Trader

Those ranges covered both BA and non-ba stouts.

Sabtos likes this.
  16. mlm61

mlm61 Initiate (100) Jun 16, 2016 Connecticut
    Trader

Good read here:
    Tree House fastest growing Mass.

and this quote shows how a miss step (cutting pay ect...) can have HUGE effect .

"Outside of Central Mass., regional brewers didn't see much, if any, increases. Canton-based Trillium Brewing Co., typically ranked alongside Tree House as the highest-rate beer in Massachusetts, reported a 6% decline in 2018 despite opening a satellite brewery in Boston. "

17. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (183) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I wonder how much, if any, of that 6% is from people making the trip to Tree House instead of Canton? I know that I personally have done a lot more purchasing from TH since their beer has become essentially limitless like Trillium. I am in Canton at least once a month for family stuff and I only go to Charlton for Tree House. Lest I be slayed on a cross of my anecdotal example, I am not saying that is the reason, just curious how many others are doing the same.

18. Djulius

Never had an issue with driver's ed, but cars fundamentally give me anxiety and I don't like the idea of driving them. If that somehow makes me a child in your eyes then that is fine, if a little strange. Not sure what kind position you're taking. Should I wait until I'm 50 before having taste buds? Is this going anywhere meaningful?

9percenthurdle likes this.
  19. mlm61

Trader

I still believe this my have had an effect IMHO:

All About the Green — Trillium Faces Backlash After Cutting Pay Rates

20. Sabtos

Society Trader

Certainly is: crippling debt.

21. TreeHouse_Erection

Hoping the rain will dissuade some people from coming back a second time today. Really want some KJJJ around 6pm :slight_frown:

mlm61 likes this.
  22. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (553) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

To be fair I really wouldn't pay those rates for the FL stouts either. But my argument is more that from the same brewery a somewhat comparable beer is made available for $5 or so per 16 oz can as opposed to 0.9 more ounces at more than double the price. In a vacuum vs all other breweries, sure the price isn't out of line. For me, I will still enjoy these beers from time to time but it is an occasional purchase; if others feel the same, that's your explanation for why the bottle stouts stick around.

To put my conspiracy hat on, I think TH heard a lot of criticisms in the past year about how there were long stretches of no dark beers available. So there is a conscious price point established and the bottle format chosen to ensure stouts are there if you want them, but that not every patron will pull the trigger. Nate has said on this site that the adjunct stouts are some of the more difficult brew days, so I bet their inclination is to use limits and pricing to keep the stouts around longer, rather than killing themselves on the production side.

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry and Sabtos like this.
  23. TreeHouse_Erection

Parking lot already has 3 full rows of cars over an hour before open.

24. TreeHouse_Erection

New stout?

[​IMG]

Sabtos likes this.
  25. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (1,791) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

At least they put it in cans-- $6! Zoinks!

26. Sabtos

Society Trader

27. TreeHouse_Erection

Nice catch, didn't see the 2013 reference in their post. They condone aging this one which means the lactose/diabetes haters will be crawling over themselves to get it. I'll probably grab a few and age one of them.

It is funny that it's half the price of TS with higher availability.

Sabtos likes this.
  28. purephase

purephase Initiate (135) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Space and Time was the Brimfield beer I regretted missing out on the most. Pleasantly surprised it's been brought back in some form after all these years.

TreeHouse_Erection likes this.
  29. TreeHouse_Erection

lmao these crazies are lined up in the rain all the way at the corner an hour before open

likeadabeer likes this.
  30. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (79) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

They are the reason we can’t have nice things like chill vibes and an open bar.

TreeHouse_Erection likes this.
  31. likeadabeer

I wonder if space and time was brewed in Brimfield? /s

Sheppard, parg0 and redbill like this.
  32. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,966) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

11%

We're living in different times, folks.

likeadabeer likes this.
  33. likeadabeer

tzieser likes this.
  34. mlm61

Trader

Please define " is fairly creepy" , lol, Cheers

35. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,966) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I am so happy I got 8 cans of Doubleganger yesterday. This definitely has to be their most underappreciated beer, and I'm glad it is otherwise I wouldn't be able to get 8 cans of it.

They day it gets up to a case PP is the day I finally succumb to my alcoholism and drink myself to death.

36. Dukies222001

Dukies222001 Initiate (105) Oct 21, 2016 New Hampshire

I'm really hoping it's still 8 come Saturday

37. Djulius

Line is long but moving like crazy. Seen some folks from early in line leaving with just the 2 KJJJ lol

38. TreeHouse_Erection

Would you be able to ask an employee if KJJJ will last the day? Sometimes they tell you

They should really let us know if there's a good supply

39. likeadabeer

I would hope you are good. No case count on the site has meant good supply as of recently. But def get the stress some clarity on this one would be great...