Tree House Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by bring, Jan 4, 2019.

1. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (350) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I just buy my beer at the packie and it's great.

2. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Aspirant (205) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

No one believes that. Not even you.

9percenthurdle likes this.
  3. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (133) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

what the heck kind of straw man is this? The lines suck, which is why I don't go. But they don't suck because customers act like customers. They're slow because demand is insanely high and TH can't or won't develop a system / hire the manpower required to run it efficiently. Not because patrons are careful in their choices.

I certainly agree it's great when people have their choices ready. And I'm sure most do. But your N=1 sample extrapolated to the thousands which get served is just lol, nor is it worth getting worked up about. "These people! That's why I waited an hour. Not the double ticket system and insane bottleneck of 3 or 4 bartenders for 100+ customers."

4. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (332) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

I was going to basically say exactly this. It seems silly to blame customers for the lines just for doing what they do just as often at every other brewery. Customers always ask stupid questions. Not all breweries have these ridiculous pour lines.

rozzom and William_Navidson like this.
  5. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (524) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I can't wait for them to open the new bar area so we can resume complaints of why aren't they filling growlers yet? They have a whole second bar they should be using for growlers and only growlers.

Then the newer and bigger bar starts getting lines then we're back to why don't they open up the second bar for pours? Nobody is getting growlers. I could run their brewery better than them
    :rolling_eyes:

Does that sound accurate? Where am I off?

6. TreeHouse_Erection

The customers aren't the only reason for the slowness. No one ever said that. What I did say is that it's a huge factor among other things. One or two customers taking a while to ask questions would never hurt anything, but when possibly hundreds do it on a busy day, those extra minutes per customer add up to potentially hours of extra wait time that is not needed.

Straw man that. It's simple math, something most people don't want to put effort into understanding.

7. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (133) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

if you open a bar and base its efficiency on everyone being ready with beer orders the second they reach the head of the line, you're a moron.

8. oldbean

There's a slight exaggeration there, I do circulate through a variety of beer retailers, some of which are fancier than "the packie". But it is my genuine and considered opinion, as a Tree House fan, that Tree House is not currently worth the hassle.

9. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,085) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

If I do decide that I want to spend my time waiting in line for pours next time I go to Tree House, I will definitely ask about growlers and ask about the variety of options on draft. Purely with the hopes that @TreeHouse_Erection is behind me in line.

10. lic217

lic217 Champion (858) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

I have not been to treehouse's new brewery location yet, but I have to say that the greatest thing that Treehouse has done for us is inspiring this thread. It is classic and it never dissapoints. Thank you treehouse for this gift. I am eternally grateful.

tzieser, pbrian, rozzom and 2 others like this.
  11. Tonkansson

Tonkansson Initiate (26) Aug 28, 2019 Sweden
    Trader

Greetings, fellow hop lovers! Next Friday, me and three thirsty friends will be arriving in Boston, coming all the way from Sweden to experience the best IPAs the world has to offer. And due to jetlag, we will (probably) wake up super early on Saturday. So, we thought that would be a perfect opportunity for us to visit– yes, you guessed it – Tree House!

And now for the great dilemma!

Should we rent a car or put our trust in Uber (or similar)? Renting a car seems like the rational choice in most aspects. But, and this is a massive but, we certainly want to try out some beer on location. And for some reason, I figure that's not an option if you're to drive a car for 55 miles afterwards.

To summarize (sorry for a lot of words before getting here): would you risk getting stranded in Charlton just to try what's on tap?

Cheers!

12. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (163) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Honestly I might recommend taking the MBTA commuter rail from Boston to Worcester and then catching an Uber from Worcester to Charlton - it will almost certainly be less expensive than taking Uber the whole way but will still allow you to drink without driving.

On the other hand, Tree House does limit customers to 2 pours per person, which, depending on the abv and your body size, I believe in almost all cases will keep you under the legal abv limit of 0.08% BAC. I'm pretty foggy on the laws elsewhere but I believe most European countries have a much lower legal threshold for DUI and harsher penalties, but you -should- likely be all set here in the US.

In short - renting a car is totally an option for you guys if you only plan to drive to Tree House then back to Boston due to the 2 beer limit at Tree House.

jaysker95 likes this.
  13. redbill

redbill Initiate (20) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

rent a car. unless you're slamming cans in the parking lot you can't get drunk enough to not drive on 2 beers in an hour+ long line.

if it were me, and getting up early, I'd probably rent a car hit up Vermont or Maine on Saturday AM/day, and then hit Tree House on the way back when the lines are shorter in evening.

14. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (106) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

What he^ said. If possible, avoid Saturday morning at TH and go later in the day. And, if it's this weekend, it's a holiday in the U.S on Monday so this Saturday may be busier than usual. Be prepared to wait if you go early on Saturday.

Enjoy your visit!

15. rozzom

rozzom Champion (852) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

More importantly we should probably coach you through the pour ordering process. Need to drill you until you're reliably hitting sub 20 seconds. Swedish + four people + (presumably) first timers = very high risk people to have in line.

meefmoff, tzieser, ColdOne and 2 others like this.
  16. TreeHouse_Erection

Especially on a Saturday. It's a long flight, practice your ordering method on the way over here so you'll be ready.

I do offer coaching at €25/hour

Shaymus likes this.
  17. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

I’m sorry but 32oz of an 8% DIPA should put most people over the limit. That is absurd

Yeah if you’re having a couple pints of Eureka, maybe you’re ok but I know I absolutely don’t want to be in or near a car with anybody who’s had two pints of Haze and decided to get back behind the wheel

18. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,432) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

This thread is not most people.

19. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (142) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Not when it will take more than an hour to get your second beer. By the time you sip your second brew, your first will have metabolized. *This assumes you don't get two pours at the same time*

LukieBL likes this.
  20. oldbean

I hate to break it to everyone but a DIPA is two beers at the same time.

Aaron58, tzieser, lic217 and 9 others like this.
  21. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (257) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Please make sure to bring your Passports

22. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (163) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is correct - I thought the DIPAs were 12 oz pours but checking the website it appears abv isn't the main factor in 12 oz vs. 16oz pours for some reason

23. Nestor87

Nestor87 Initiate (71) Jun 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

The average american man weighs 200 pounds. 32 ounces of 8 percent beer would put such a person JUST below the legal limit. Typical metabolism rate is .015/hr, so after an hour Joe Average would be around .06. Legal, but still higher than I'd want to be while I drove down the turnpike. Also -- if endangering the lives of thousands of strangers isn't a good enough reason -- there are so many variables involved (food consumption, your actual weight and metabolic rate, etc) that I wouldn't feel super confident taking that breathalyzer after one hour.

Drink slow. Play some cornhole. Hit the food truck. It's worth it.

https://www.craftbeer.com/blood-alcohol-content-calculator

24. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (1,796) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

The math works out to 2.5 Bud Lights (or 2.13 Bud Heavies) in 12oz cans.

tzieser and Sabtos like this.
  25. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (214) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

not one comment on the $16 coffee? whats going on here

26. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (1,796) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Holy shit. The next Double Shot is going to be $30/bottle.

Sabtos likes this.
  27. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (186) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Welcome to Massachusetts! Here is a suggestion- rent the car, ask the driver to only have a beer at tree house- have them drive to Armsby abbey in Worcester (on the way back to boston) Armsby has one of the best draft lists in the state (always has Hill Farmstead) and then the driver can enjoy another beer and someone else can drive back to Boston. That way, everyone gets to enjoy a pint or two.

ColdOne likes this.
  28. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (157) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm assuming that's $16.50 for a 12oz bag of coffee beans, not a 12oz cup of coffee. Which isn't too absurd for a local "craft" roasted coffee

29. TreeHouse_Erection

I'm actually glad that TH has a 2 pour limit because just because you feel fine doesn't mean you aren't over the limit. A lot of times you can see two parents drinking 2 pours each with their infant on the picnic table and then driving home. For me, I feel pretty good after just one of those heavy hitters and I try not to drive after having 2 unless i'm up there for 3 hours let alone if I had kids and were driving with them home.

Getting a DUI especially as someone not from this country is a risk not worth taking.

tzieser and TheOneTC like this.
  30. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (330) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Agreed, pretty standard. Coffee I have a subscription for is less for more $$.

31. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (81) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

Limiting coffee to one bag per person is fantastically hilarious. Only Tree House .

32. Schuee

Schuee Initiate (93) May 26, 2017 Connecticut

Dont forget most coffee beans at that price point and quality is sold by the pound not 12 ounces so the price per ounce is up there.

33. Schuee

12 ounce bag?

34. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,432) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Because you know most people visiting are going to buy it just because why not? And it will probably sit in their pantry for 5 years before 2025 spring cleaning comes around and they toss it with all the other unnecessary purchases they've accumulated in that time.

35. bring

bring Initiate (85) Aug 17, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not true. Most higher end coffee beans (intelligentsia, George Howell, Counter culture, Stumptown, insert your local roaster, etc.) are sold in 12 oz bags. Some of the even higher end, small lot beans can come in smaller bags (8 oz or less).

36. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (82) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

mycoffeecollectibles.com

tzieser, Rysk22 and Sabtos like this.
  37. Schuee

Well based upon your knowledge I guess I missed the coffee bean bus then. Kinda glad I did as I can only handle one expensive fix at a time.

bring likes this.
  38. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (366) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

didn't they have beans last week too?

39. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,992) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I bought a bag of coffee beans. This batch doesn't taste as good as the previous batch.

adschal1, Trull and SABERG like this.
  40. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (330) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

250g

It’s only good if it’s in metric bro

Schuee likes this.