Tree House Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by bring, Jan 4, 2019.

1. dele

dele Initiate (46) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

The 16oz to 12oz transition in coffee is pretty recent, and very regrettable for a household like mine, which goes through about a pound a week. As coffee prices have risen, the producers have decided to cut package size instead of raise prices. Where you used to get 16 oz. for $15, now you get 12 oz. for that same price.

To me this is annoying, because my local grocery store carries the good beans from a local roaster, and I'd like to buy a week's worth at a time, the same way I buy my groceries. I'd rather just pay what it costs for the 16 oz. bag. Some devious producers are now cutting further, down to 11 or even 10 oz., without changing the price and trying to make the bag look like it's the same size. Sneaky bastards. It's not illegal or anything, but it sure drives me away from their brands as soon as I notice it.

eaglephile likes this.
  2. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (142) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

$16.60 in Corrupticut.

TreeHouse_Erection likes this.
  3. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (187) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Roasting quality coffee is a lot easier than brewing quality beer. I highly suggest that anyone serious about coffee should buy an air roaster and bulk green coffee beans online. I have done some homebrewing and have produced beer that I have enjoyed, but I am not fooling myself into thinking it is anywhere near beers by respectable brewers. Coffee on the other hand, is way easier to produce with low cost equipment and a lot less mess and time. The cost savings isn't as great on coffee, but still significant.

4. redbill

redbill Initiate (20) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

the first batch was roasted in Monson. WAY better.

5. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,992) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I hear they're roasting the beans in Monson and shipping them to Charlton from now on.

6. ScaryEd

Btw Haze seems to be dialed in right now. The last few batches I've had have been excellent. This most recent being the best.

likeadabeer likes this.
  7. TreeHouse_Erection

TreeHouse_Erection Aspirant (205) Aug 7, 2018 Connecticut

Coffee was better in Brimfield

8. ScaryEd

Tree House coffee should be sold at 1 bean pp

followerofmen and likeadabeer like this.
  9. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (81) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

They should bottle their base water for Julius and sell at 2 bottles of water pp.

It’s funny because it would work.

10. ScaryEd

Please, that's dumb.

They'd obviously sell King Julius water.

likeadabeer likes this.
  11. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (1,796) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

ISO Wwwaterrr

eaglephile and ColdOne like this.
  12. mhull

mhull Initiate (105) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

The shrinking of coffee bags is the one thing that makes me irrationally angry. I've also noticed that the venn diagram of the coffee roasters that sell 12oz bags and the coffee roasters HF, Trillium, Tree House, etc use in their beer is a single circle.

13. TreeHouse_Erection

Starting in 2020

All stouts will be in 12oz cans but price will remain the same

14. Tonkansson

Tonkansson Initiate (26) Aug 28, 2019 Sweden
    Trader

Thank you all for the great responses! You've given us a lot of insights and laughs. We still haven't decided completely on means of transportation yet, but we're leaning towards renting a car. That way we could easily visit B.T's Smokehouse as well. I guess the combination of the two pour limit, a cosy belly and the aim to play it slow should put the me, the driver, well below the DUI limit.

We're not gonna be there during the Labor Day weekend, but the next one. I totally hear what you're saying regarding Saturday morning. But a morning visit would probably still be a better fit for us. If we're there around 9 AM, when would we, approximately in a worst case scenario, be able to buy our cans and have our first sip?

I have to admit you made us kind of nervous with the pour ordering process, haha. We'll start attending lessons and looking up tutorials right away!

And again, thank you for your dedication to help out four confused Swedes. If you see us, say hi, and I'll let you have a sip from my pour as a thank you. (That way, you also help me lower the BAC. Win-win, right?)

15. TreeHouse_Erection

They don't open until 11am on Saturday so you'd still be waiting around for 2 hours. I guess it would be a certainty of you getting the first spot in line so if that's your goal then it's ok.

If you were first in line, you would buy your cans immediately and when you buy cans, you can buy the pour tickets at the same time. Then wander over to the pour line which will probably be at least 20 or 30 deep at that point because a lot of people get pours first and then drink them in the can line.

I'd say if you were first in line, you would have cans and pours in hand by 11:30

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  16. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (82) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Any friend of Peter Forsberg is a friend of mine.

GonzoHomebrewer and Tonkansson like this.
  17. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (134) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

they did this already in 2018.

18. Tonkansson

Tonkansson Initiate (26) Aug 28, 2019 Sweden
    Trader

I actually have a number 21 Avs jersey somewhere, from my younger days. You could say that makes us pretty close.

19. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (330) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Amazed to see the French press guide. Would have thought @DigitalNate was a Chemex guy all the way.

Sheppard likes this.
  20. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (193) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Chemex is the shit. My press collects a lot of dust.

21. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,086) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

In the same boat here.

22. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (555) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

My French press was trusty for awhile but I'm always drinking iced coffee and the 2 step process was overkill. So I went to a cold brew coffee maker with stainless steel filter.

23. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (220) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

On the website the picture above the guide has a Chemex in it and the guide itself says “brew guides” in the top left. I’m guessing we’ll see a Chemex guide as well as a few others

24. Sheppard

Trader

I don't normally go gaga over the art but...

Rysk22 likes this.
  25. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (134) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

I cold brew in my french press that I never use.

I pour-over for hot coffee.

I have a shitty $15 grinder and use peet's beans most of the time.

Newport_beerguy and 7irondave like this.
  26. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,433) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Weird I was going to say the opposite...don't hate it but way outside the typical TH motif. Would think it might be a Curiosity, but even then it wouldn't fit in the lineup.

Ryanwithacomb likes this.
  27. TreeHouse_Erection

Very different label in almost every aspect. Is the TH logo even on the can?

28. ScaryEd

Who cares, it's a new beer and it's not a DIPA. Sounds awesome to me.

rozzom, Sheppard and likeadabeer like this.
  29. Sabtos

Society Trader

Chill.

30. ScaryEd

Chill vibes

31. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (525) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

According to the girl that cashed me out today TH has a new grapuic designer on the team. He is responsible for the new tart label and the Tango label

32. bla211

bla211 Initiate (111) Mar 17, 2015 New York

RIP Keever?

33. 7irondave

Trader

I hope not. Maybe just less often

34. Sabtos

Society Trader

Schuee, Trull and 7irondave like this.
  35. 7irondave

Trader

Now I remember Haze from Monson. All it took was a blacked out teku
    [​IMG]

Ryanwithacomb, Trull, rozzom and 4 others like this.
  36. Sheppard

Trader

Lol awesome!

37. TerriblySorry

TerriblySorry Initiate (59) Jul 12, 2014 Massachusetts

Doesn't look like anyone has really given the coffee a review, but figured I would give my two cents. I'm a coffee snob, usually pick up George Howell or Gracenote, maybe New Harvest beans for my daily driver (I live in Boston). The Ethiopia TH batch is a medium roast if I had to guess, light cherry notes when the coffee cools. Overall though, ashy and dark. If you like light and fruity roasts you should look elsewhere, and if you like medium or dark roasts you can get quality beans for cheaper. If you MUST buy your coffee beans from a brewery, I would rank Night Shift as the current top dog, TH second, Trillium third. Are there others? Let me know...

38. 7irondave

Trader

Cycle and Modern Times

Both offer good barrel aged beans from time to time as well

39. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (82) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

OEC roasts are wild.

40. TerriblySorry

TerriblySorry Initiate (59) Jul 12, 2014 Massachusetts

I was only considering MA roasts, since that's where I live. Would love to see a list of all the breweries out there expanding into the coffee business.