Tree House Brewing Company (2020)

Discussion in 'New England' started by bring, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,421) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Cost effectiveness. Most small breweries that barrel aged do so to generate hype. Clearly, they don't need that.

2. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (362) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

This is just depressing.

3. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (354) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah, I don't know. The canned stout, maybe? But with Love, $12 for a 16 oz. bottle of non-BA stout? Others with that price point have been hanging around for 5+ weeks now (see Permanence, Triple Shot). Double Shot Peru is three weeks today, and that's basically the same price point as BIG CHOCOLATE (Magary voice).

Still not clear to me why some stouts are in bottles at $12/each or so, then they move to cans and they're $8 each... I guess that glassware is really pricey! Or you're "paying for the experience of sharing this bottle with a loved one," etc.

4. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (144) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

“Price point”? What is the difference in meaning as opposed to “price”?

Mrstiffington and Sabtos like this.
  5. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (41) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I don't get the bitching about names tbh. They can call it whatever they want - if it tastes good, I'll drink it.

Newport_beerguy and jaysker95 like this.
  6. cdinardo21

Trader

I always wondered this myself - it's just hard to care as much for me, because I was there once, I loaded up on everything, and just dealt with it - if I lived close and this was my home brewery - I'd be a little annoyed by this.

7. Sabtos

Society Trader

Big pet peeve of mine :-1:

Mrstiffington likes this.
  8. Sabtos

Society Trader

[​IMG]

9. Mkozaka

Mkozaka Devotee (498) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Isn’t “price point” a valid economic term?

10. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,563) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I always think price is just the cost for an item.
    Price point is that cost in relative comparison to similar items.

11. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (47) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

Do we have any sense for their EBITDA?

Tmwright7, Sheppard and jaysker95 like this.
  12. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Initiate (177) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

“We have two brown ales, two lagers, and tart ale. I would say that creativity is at a all time high.”

Tree House can brew whatever they want and they’re certainly enjoying success, but holy shit this goes beyond #TreeHouseFan self-parody lol.

13. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Disciple (380) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Community-adjusted editba, preferably

RauchbierFan33 likes this.
  14. dele

dele Initiate (61) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

I'd like nothing more than to visit once a month and leave with a dozen of Green and a dozen of other mixed styles including various lagers and diverse ales, and maybe such seasonally appropriate delights as hefeweizen or kolsch in the spring and summer, marzen in the fall, and maybe a nice 6%, not too sweet stout or a doppelbock in the winter. TH would get more of my money if this were possible.

The 40 different IPAs and 20 different pastry stouts don't really grab my attention, because Green is just as good as any of the other IPAs and if you've had one of the pastry stouts, you've had them all - at least with where my palate stands. Clearly it's different for other people. I'm guessing that the continuing focus on additional IPAs and stouts is more about getting the most money possible from occasional visitors and traders. Nothing wrong with that as it's clearly working well for TH, but I wish I had the chance to see what such skilled brewers could do with other styles.

#454 dele, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  15. parg0

parg0 Initiate (63) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Barrel aging takes time. We know they're doing it, we've seen pictures of the barrels and I imagine we'll see the fruit from that this year.

I think people are forgetting how quickly Tree House has expanded/grown. Just 2 years ago the allotments were MUCH smaller. Think about the amount of beer they'd need to brew and then set aside to age for 12/24 months. The August Moon batch was tiny for a reason.

It's coming, I have no doubt, but it's a process.

tzieser and jomobono like this.
  16. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (204) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ha- sure when half the quote is missing.... I'd say offering 29 different to go options is creative.
    At any rate, Tree House certainly doesn't need me to defend them.

17. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (204) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

and.... the other 24 beers they are currently offering to go.

18. cdinardo21

Trader

Nice - as a CPA, I respect this reference.

RauchbierFan33 likes this.
  19. cdinardo21

Trader

This is probably the most measured and well thought out post I've seen in a while - I agree - I see both sides of it - as an outsider, it's amazing to me the complaints levied on TH, but I see things from a completely different perspective (as In i'm 8 hours away) - if this was my home base, I totally see where some of the annoyance comes in (But I also get them trying to maximize on their efforts financially)

tzieser, dele and IGaveYouPower like this.
  20. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Initiate (177) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The point is that so many of those 29 options are so similar, which is... not very “creative” relative to other breweries, to say the least.

You don’t need to defend TH because I’m not criticizing them. Again, it’s just hilarious how “stereotypical TH fan” that snippet is lol.

21. oldbean

Number of beers doesn't mean anything when so many of them are the same (yes, I get that they put different kinds of hops and/or candy in them).

Capt_Quint likes this.
  22. oldbean

What you're describing is basically just Schilling, or Idle Hands, or dozens of others I'm sure people can name, by the way.

Sheppard and dele like this.
  23. dele

dele Initiate (61) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Maybe, but none of them make Green!

#463 dele, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  24. dropkick1977

dropkick1977 Initiate (68) Jan 4, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

This thread continues to entertain. Thank you, everyone.

ColdOne likes this.
  25. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (569) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Even Brown Note by AtG would not bother me as a name if it wasn't for that damn can art! :grimacing:

Sabtos likes this.
  26. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,369) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

I just want a 14% BA Stout brewed with 8 different kinds of coffee, maple syrup, and graham crackers.

I'd show up at 3 am for that and be 50th in line.

27. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (53) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

Is doesn't take this long.

The other thing is, what the heck are they going to cost when they finally drop? They have $12 bottles of non-BA right now. Isn't that price more consistent with BA or am I way off base?

28. parg0

Trader

It definitely does take this long. I just looked at web archives and 2 years ago in Jan-Feb they had 1-3 beers available. I imagine it was hard to push their volume and set aside beer for barrel aging until recently. They've expanded a lot in the past couple years.

Hill Farmstead sells 500ml BA bottles for $22+ so I'd guess Treehouse will be similar.

ColdOne and brutalfarce like this.
  29. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (378) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

First time I went to new brewery was bout 2 years ago in line they announced we would have the privilege to purchase 6 green and 12 julius pp. That is all. Felt like Christmas lol dont forget how fast it changed

sulldaddy and parg0 like this.
  30. Sabtos

Society Trader

You're not talking about barrel aging when you say "it definitely does take this long" and then go on to reference to-go IPAs.

They've teased pictures of beer in barrels for years. Literal years.

Anyone knows that most breweries don't age beer for that long, because of diminishing returns. 24 months is on the extreme end of barrel aging, because it starts taking a turn for the worse after that, and most of the time 6-8 months is plenty and 12 months is more than enough.

There might be bottle conditioning involved, but that usually is only regarding wild ales, and much of the interest in their teases involves stout.

They likely put that shit in kegs and drank it already in F&F parties.

31. parg0

Trader

Pretty sure the only pictures they've shared in barrels were from early 2019..... I've been here a long time and never seen any otherwise. Happy to be corrected.

Yes! This is what I'm talking about! If they're only about to push 6/12 IPAs per person to the general public, how are they also supposed to be barreling large amounts of beer. It's definitely coming, just takes time.

jomobono, ColdOne and brutalfarce like this.
  32. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (84) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

It has been years. They have also made a BA beer before - in 2016? Give Me Truth. Teasing barrels ever since then annnnd nothing. But I’m sure you will find no fault in all of this and it really is harmless hype generation. Though, it does get old eventually.

It took them almost 8 years to have Julius at a case per person...best of luck to you on waiting for these BA beers. I’m sure BA Good Morning will be easily obtainable to you at a reasonable price in 15-20 years. :slight_smile:

Sabtos likes this.
  33. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (254) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

Lots to be concerned about with this brewery... says none of the people I saw yesterday wheeling 8 cases of cans to their cars.

tzieser likes this.
  34. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,111) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

“Muh BA stouts tho!!!!”:sob::sob:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#474 tzieser, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Sabtos and RauchbierFan33 like this.
  35. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (84) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

So because you saw people buy 8 cases of beer yesterday we can’t correct someone in thinking that TH has only been posting about BA beers since early last year? Or any other valid counter points people make here?

Only doting allowed from now on, noted.

ColdOne likes this.
  36. ColdOne

Trader

Why do you think I'm replying to your post specifically? Lots of whiny comments that I might be following up on.

Also: post whatever you'd like, and I'll do the same.

tzieser and likeadabeer like this.
  37. oldbean

Was there a concern presented in this thread that they're not selling a lot of beer? Like what point is this brilliant observation of yours supposed to address?

Capt_Quint likes this.
  38. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Aspirant (209) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

I see this quite a bit. What are the people buying all this beer doing with it? Reselling, muleling?
    There is no way it is for personal consumption.

39. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (240) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Next time you see it why don't you ask them and report back?

40. ColdOne

Trader

Hey all... beer forum and all, I apologize for writing buzzed and being more aggressive than I would normally. Just saying that regardless of selection, they’re doing damn well.

I would guess a large percentage of those really stocking up are doing what we did the other day: bringing back treats for friends.

BigStein88 and RauchbierFan33 like this.