Tree House Brewing Company (2020)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by bring, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Have zero problem with people stocking up to distribute among friends.

eppie82 and 7irondave like this.
  2. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Well, I live an hour away and I wouldn't make the drive these days for less than a case, and I am guessing the minimum drive from PA is about 4 hours, so 5 cases seems like the conservative side of reasonable to me.

3. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,156) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

I've personally driven to Aslin Brewing (roughly a 18 hour round trip) for a case of their beer. Granted, they had sold out of the beer I really wanted an hour before I got there but I'm still completely insane.

To my credit, I have a thing for road trips. I love to drive and listen to music for hours and hours. I often do it with no destination in mind.

cgwami, 4ruedebuci and 9percenthurdle like this.
  4. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,228) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

why dude why

5. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,058) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

The power of Christ compels you. The power of Christ compels you.

9percenthurdle likes this.
  6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,103) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

You know, you're driving past a lot of awesome shit you could enrich your life with, besides some music, alone time in the car, and beer at the end of the road.

7. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (129) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

...as opposed to....?

I'm not sure I Presented is as such, but if you're going to road trip it to Tree House from a fair distance, you're not just picking up a mixed case and turning around to drive home. To present it as though you would is just lunacy.

likeadabeer likes this.
  8. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (759) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Can anyone give me a guess as to the wait for cans on a Saturday if I were to get there between 1pm-2pm? I've been there on summer Saturdays in the past but not sure if things have changed or if the winter months affect people lining up. I'll be in the area this weekend but just not sure any kind of substantial wait in the cold is doable with my wife and daughter in the car with me. Any help is appreciated.

9. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,058) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I mean this is sort of reinforcing the prior point no? Hand on heart I wouldn’t max out in that situation. I mean I wouldn’t do a 10 hour round trip beer run (in the there and back in one day sense) ever. But I have been to Hill Farmstead several times (which is a 12-14 hour round trip from NYC, even longer sometimes depending on traffic / when you go) - that’s the longest I’ve driven where beer is the main / joint main reason for going. We have made a long weekend/vacation out of it each time. And despite it being a once a year type of trip I definitely didn’t come close to maxing out

10. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Unfortunately, still probably one of the busiest times. I'm thinking probably around an hour in line...? If you're on Facebook, you can join the Line Updates group and look at historical data.

I'll note one minor plus that may have changed since your last time there -- there's much more inside seating (available picnic tables throughout) and they usually have the line snake inside much more than it had in the past.

So while you'd still be waiting ... there's zero reason to wait in the cold. Family can go to the food truck, grab lunch and sit at a picnic table inside while you wait in line and then join them. Hope it works out for you!

11. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (206) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

they would post barrels and what not on their stories

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...brewing-company-may-2018.570885/#post-5999495 references it

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...ompany-august-2018.583088/page-5#post-6137286 another reference

likeadabeer and 9percenthurdle like this.
  12. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Aspirant (206) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society

the later on Saturday the better from my experience. 1 - 2 is usually peak lines

KingforaDay likes this.
  13. ScaryEd

Society

Nah. I drove past some place called "Gettisborg" or something, idk. Apparently it's popular. I didn't care I just wanted to score my mixed case of Aslin.

Tmwright7 likes this.
  14. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (516) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

That where the dude Lincoln burned down that blueberry tree?

ScaryEd likes this.
  15. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (516) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

parg0 likes this.
  16. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (206) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

marshmallows are shaped like a barrel

marshbarrel

jaysker95 likes this.
  17. Dukies222001

Dukies222001 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2016 New Hampshire

Yeah that's crazy I max out at 6 hours round trip and I usually plan it to hit 2 or 3 breweries in one day.

ScaryEd likes this.
  18. ScaryEd

Society

It is crazy but I was being a bit hyperbolic. I definitely drove all the way to Aslin and left with a case of beer, but I went to DC to meet up with a relative. Ended up staying in a hotel.

19. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I mean you're talking about a twelve hour drive for special beer. It's lunacy at its base.

Like I don't know, it just seems to me like when you're in a situation where it only makes sense to buy beer six cases at a time, you passed the signpost for lunacy several hundred miles back.

20. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (269) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

All this discussion about how far is okay to drive for beer kind of reminds me of a line from George Carlin:

"Anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."

21. Sabtos

Society Trader

Not to mention, it's essentially cheaper to buy secondary at that point. That is, if one values their own time at all.

jaysker95, Aaron58 and jmerizio like this.
  22. jacincm

jacincm Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2018 Pennsylvania

I live 10 min from Pizza Boy. If you’re interested in anything from there and would like to trade, shoot me a PM

mumbles44 and ColdOne like this.
  23. msiegel04

msiegel04 Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2017 Connecticut

Anyone care to venture a guess as to why we don’t see doppelgänger and alter ego more often?

I feel like you used to be able to reliably see those every single month. Now it seems like it’s mostly doubleganger and aaatlerrrr

Wondering out loud because for my money those are two of their best IMO

kingsuect likes this.
  24. kingsuect

kingsuect Initiate (32) Oct 6, 2018 Connecticut

indeed, they definitely do not get enough love for being core beers. i think they come out like quarterly at this point.

25. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Likely because a pinch is worth a pound. Literally and figuratively.

26. Dukies222001

I will at Tree House Saturday. Last time I was there you could get one beer in line and then buy 2 beer tickets with your can sale. Is that still the set up?

27. cdinardo21

Trader

If one values their own time, they just add additional things to the list when they make a trip, like a game at Fenway, or a dinner in the north end, or a weekend visiting friends in Cambridge, or seeing one's hockey team play the Bruins.

You guys really don't do traveling well.

28. parg0

parg0 Initiate (70) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts

To be fair, what you're describing is vacation. Not a white knuckle round trip beer excursion.

rozzom likes this.
  29. Sabtos

Society Trader

This is actually the greater point I was getting at, with particular focus on national parks, landmarks and other more substantive experiences that are often just off the highway on the way to many of these beer destinations.

30. dele

dele Initiate (112) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

According to their Twitter, TH are out with a kolsch today. This is just what I've been hoping to see. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get down there - hope they still have some then.

ColdOne and msiegel04 like this.
  31. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

I wonder how it will compare to the better New England ones.
    What is the current gold standard? Notch? Exhibit A?

edit: Nomad, Outlier, Old Man, Trail Magic, and Bear. It is happening.

Duffman621, dele and parg0 like this.
  32. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Goody Two Shoes is phenomenal.

mgp, mrmattosgood and Trull like this.
  33. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (637) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

That's a stretch, you know what they say about those lager bois buying up and selling those cans on the black market. One kolsch for your two Swish cans or GTFO. It may be sold out already...

34. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (206) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

I'd love it! I probably wouldn't have to drive to Charlton and wait 2 hours for cans.

35. cdinardo21

Trader

I don't know about vacation - I think about a week in Nassau as a vacation - but long weekend out of town? Visit a few friends? Load up on booze? Absolutely.

36. cdinardo21

Trader

Yeah - man - there's so much to see. Especially depending on what you like. And if you like beer, or bourbon, or whatever...so easy to rope that in.

Hell, I can justify a 6 hour drive to tree house, get in two rounds of golf at some courses I wouldn't normally get to play, and get in a nice dinner and brunch, and that's a weekend worth having every time.

37. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (2,054) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

You already don't have to do one of those things.

38. Dukies222001

When are the wait times that long anymore? We arrived Saturday at 1pm had cans in 10 minutes and a drink in our hands 5 minutes after that. I thought that was peak time.

39. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I for one welcome TH's foray into lagers, kolsch, ESBs. It's fun to poke fun at TH but I do think at the end of the day, this is a work of love for Nate, and if they want to make kick ass lagers and classic european styles they'll figure it out in the long run.

dele likes this.
  40. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (206) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

Got there at 9am for a 10am opening time got my cans and was driving home at 10:45.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.