Tree House Brewing Company (2020)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by bring, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (2,064) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Trull, Greyvtrayn, rozzom and 3 others like this.
  2. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

If you are posting in an online beer forum, you obviously have no friends.

Greyvtrayn and rozzom like this.
  3. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,234) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

But seriously though,

Did I see JM has its own can now?

ColdOne likes this.
  4. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,217) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I don't know if you did, but I did.

5. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,266) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I think AB-Inbev would like a word...

rozzom, lic217, ColdOne and 3 others like this.
  6. likeadabeer

likeadabeer Initiate (103) May 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

Got my hands on some fresh Haze and Doppel. WOW. I can’t remember either of these beers tasting any better - ever. I’m not sure what they have done recently, or maybe it has just been that I haven’t had TH in quite some time - but these beers are prime prime.

Also, looking at the back of the can descriptions...does anyone remember when they printed on their cans “You are lucky to be holding...”. I thought that was amazing haha. So pompous, but so true. I’m sad they changed this to “We are excited that you are holding...”’. Don’t hide TH, strut your stuff!!!

mgp, ElmerLovejoy and ColdOne like this.
  7. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Bet you are a big Sheena Easton fan.

8. dropkick1977

dropkick1977 Initiate (75) Jan 4, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

This thread never fails to disappoint.

ColdOne likes this.
  9. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (759) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I guess I should have specified "Craft" Breweries or those that don't operate on deceptive or illegal trade practices. Sure there are plenty of Breweries that have more revenues but I can't imagine there are many that operate with TH's ridiculously high profit margin (which is probably 3-5 times higher than AB Inbev's) on the scale they do. Selling as much beer as possible direct to consumer and cutting out the distributors and retailers seems to be the business model most new breweries are following.

#1809 KingforaDay, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Sheppard likes this.
  10. Longclaw

Longclaw Initiate (23) Jul 31, 2018 New York

DoubleGanger proper cans.

It is strange to me that Doubleganger is amazing, and Doppelganger is just meh to me. How are they even in the same family of beers?

11. agreenman19

Society Trader

#wastewatergate2017

12. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (208) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's funny I think Doppelganger is a lot better. Maybe even same with KJ vs KJJJ?

I'd take AAAlter over either, personally.

13. dele

dele Initiate (113) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

I see they've got another batch of Super Treat today, which for some reason they seem to be making more often than some of their core beers (Sap in particular) these days.

Anybody have thoughts on this beer? Is it as sweet as the name makes it sound and the can makes it look? There are a couple mixed cases, Proper Cans and Extra Crispy #12, that look great except that for having this beer as a big part of them. As others have said, when paying this much money beer, I'd like to be confident I'm going to like all of them.

#1813 dele, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  14. colby600

colby600 Crusader (797) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

100% agree

15. YourDigitalGrave

Treat reminds me of the Bright series which I don't think is Tree House's best. I think Super Treat is just a ramped up Treat. So if you like Bright and you like Treat, you will probably like Super Treat.

Flawless logic.

dele likes this.
  16. dele

dele Initiate (113) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Thanks. Haven't tried Treat for the same reason I'm skeptical of Super Treat. Bright is ... fine. Really enjoyed the Nelson version they put out a while ago.

17. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,266) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Haha, I'm with you. Tree House's business model is the envy of every craft brewery.

KingforaDay likes this.
  18. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (142) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I think the exact same thing though - I LOVE Doubleganger, and Dopp is just fine with me. Oh well, right?

19. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I may be wrong, but I think Treat doesn't use their house yeast, while super treat does. This may have changed since they first released treat. I don't go out of my way for super treat, but I am not upset about getting a case with a few cans of it. It is on the sweeter and creamier side of their IPA range.

20. agreenman19

Society Trader

They definitely made a point to note the house yeast in batch 2 of Treat. Not sure if it stayed that way since, but I assume so.

GonzoHomebrewer likes this.
  21. robo55

robo55 Initiate (64) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

How dare you bring up something that doesn’t paint the TH picture with rainbows and unicorns!

22. YourDigitalGrave

Oh shoot! Then possibly ignore what I said above about it being like Bright.

23. likeadabeer

I believe you were right about the first batch of Treat, it was basically OG Bright with extra sugar (not house yeast). This beer was, by far, the worst TH beer I’ve ever tried. Apparently, they also weren’t happy with it and gave the next batch the house yeast treatment and it’s been that way since (including any Super Treats that followed).

For what it’s worth, in my opinion, this beer (Treat/Super Treat) falls into the category of beers that simply aren’t that unique/better than their core offerings to waste your calories on.

Chuckdiesel24 and dele like this.
  24. underoath437

underoath437 Initiate (74) Jan 12, 2017 New York

Rent free man, rent free.

25. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Initiate (48) Aug 7, 2005 Connecticut

Q: Currently, August 2020, what is their fruitiest offering?

I'm referencing their TERRIFIC Guava- and Peach-infused
    drafts from back in the winter.

I've picked up a coupla cases of "Radiant" and "Shimmer",
    and while these are terrific iPAs, they have nowhere near
    the upfront fruit kick of the above drafts.

In other words, Tree House still isn't canning their best
    fruited offerings.

Thanks.

26. likeadabeer

Step 1: Buy a nice juicy peach.
    Step 2: Buy a fresh can of Haze.
    Step 3: Squeeze peach juice into said can of Haze.
    Step 4: Stop acting like this is anywhere near their best offering.

Sheppard and Tarps68 like this.
  27. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

As a teacher, I feel compelled to pay notice to your effort..... but- the post you quoted references their "best fruited option". It seems you disdain the posters love of fruited beer. On that I will agree with you. But we should adhere to some rules of discourse here. By that I mean, please feel free to call out juice box heroes, but do it from a perch of lexiconic exactitude so we will be free from annoying retorts. IF you are correct and the poster you quoted believes the fruited IPAs are Tree House's best options, then I apologize- in that case, you are most definitely correct. We need to stop the sweet creep into craft beer. It really is a problem.

ColdOne likes this.
  28. gpd5

gpd5 Initiate (16) Jun 4, 2016 Texas

I just spent the last 15-20 minutes browsing through posts here because of this.

I've enjoyed TH beer on and off for the last few years. In late July, I was passing nearby so I picked up a case. It's without a doubt the most disappointing group of TH beers I've ever had.

Several of the cans (including the most popular ones, Like Very Ggggreen and Juice Machine) were a month old when I purchased them from the brewery. That's inexcusable. And almost everything I've had from that batch has been a far cry from what I remember. I, too, was wondering if I've just destroyed my palate recently, but beers I've previously enjoyed from other breweries haven't lost their luster.

These are some of the softest, sweetest IPAs I've ever had, to a fault - there's no hop bite at all, and some of them are almost totally flavorless, like drinking alcohol + sugar with some bittering agent.

29. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (104) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

It is really bizarre how they haven’t released the Tart beers since, what, last summer?

the peach and nectarine ones were great. I’d happily buy a case of those for the back half of summer

30. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (93) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Peach Tart is currently in the shop. Got a can in my mixed case from this past weekend.

31. likeadabeer

Bottled Green guys.

ChooChoo!

lol

32. mja271

mja271 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut

Strange for that to just appear with no mention, especially since some mix packs still have the 16oz cans of Green rn. Personally I’d love the option for a 12oz format.

33. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hype offering or running short on aluminum? Can't recall TH using 12 oz. bottles for anything, so this is curious. Must be more difficult for stacking cases on dollies, that's for sure.

ColdOne likes this.
  34. BRoweski30

BRoweski30 Initiate (67) Sep 10, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Anyone have any idea when these guys will open up for pours again? I imagine the pizza oven covers them for food made on site. There's plenty of outdoor space to keep socially distant, too. I've been craving some Tree House but an hour drive to just drive through isn't that appealing.

35. agreenman19

Society Trader

Oof, price hike too. $3.05/bottle if my math is correct. Not too bad though. 12oz of Green at $3.80/can = $2.85.

(based on the Drink Your Greens Mix Pack: 12 Julius @ $3.80 + 6 GGGreennn @ $4.80 + 6 Green bottles = $92.70)

Guess bottling really is more expensive, although I'd have expected these Green bottles to be like $7 each based on the pricing of some of the previous stouts we've seen.

36. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

meh, price difference is fine. Glass is more costly than aluminum, and it's typical for price to go down when purchasing more volume (2L bottle of coke vs a 20oz bottle of coke).

Maybe it's a can shortage, though that would be a bit weird with them releasing a bunch of new "proper" cans. Though who knows when orders were placed and such.

Maybe they're just zigging when the beer world is zagging. I look forward to reviews of glass bottle TH capturing the magic of their growlers and preserving their softness better or some shit. Meanwhile Maine Beer Co. will be like "wtf?"

37. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Initiate (48) Aug 7, 2005 Connecticut

I'd like to think their best is yet to come.

Step 3: I've actually done this, it doesn't work.

I'm a great fan of their fruited drafts, they go down extremely well in the Summer.

As far as the creeping of sweetened ales, go with what you know and enjoy.
    Stifling innovation will negate my first line above, agreed?

38. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

Around the same time the governor completely reopens the state of MA.

39. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,059) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

As has always been the case on here, the definition of “innovation” is a hotly-debated and very subjective topic. My personal opinion is that the above doesn’t qualify but obviously YMMV

40. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,234) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

I've soured quite a bit on Doppelganger over the last year. Not sure why but I just don't bother with it anymore.

Doubleganger is amazing, though. Always has been.

I do find it odd how rare Alter Ego is these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.