Tree House Brewing Company (April 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Apr 1, 2017.

1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (183) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New monthly Tree House thread.

Always check out the following link to see what is available for sale, starting on Wednesday (the first, of two canning runs, is posted on Tuesday but both are sold on Wednesday). Cans and Tree House growlers are sold and filled at the brewery only. Must be Tree House growlers per MA law. There are bottle releases randomly (i.e. Double Shot or Native bottles) but bottles are infrequent.

http://treehousebrew.com/on-tap/

Yes, limits are enforced and subject to change at the brewery's discretion. Only one time through the line, per day, and absolutely no drinking in the line or on the property. Also, don't speed through the neighborhood and don't park on the neighbor's property for any reason. Do not walk behind the brewery , block the driveway, or block the entrance doorway, which serves as the exit too. They have parking lots where you are suppose to park. Make room to close the door!

CURRENT REGULAR HOURS: Wednesday from 12-6 PM for Can Sales Only. Growlers & Can sales Thurs. & Fri 4-8 PM & Saturday Growlers & Can sales from 11 AM - 6 PM.

Per an arrangement with the town, Tree House will open early if all the parking lots are full.

THREE TOTAL GROWLERS on Thurs, Fri, and Sat HAS BEEN THE NORM LATELY. DURING SLOWER TIMES 4-5 PP MAY BE OFFERED!

ON BUSY WEEKNIGHTS GROWLER CARDS MAY BE CAPPED ~ 350

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

FOLLOW @treehousebrewco on Twitter for real time updates

@DigitalNate has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

FAQ (work in progress. By the way, Tree House has it's own FAQ page that is well written and everybody should read it before reaching out for answers)

http://treehousebrew.com/faq/

There isn't a tap room where you can drink except for special pour days (see below). All beer sold to-go and only available at the brewery. Tree House beer swag is sold at the brewery. They have some nice stuff.

BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge (east of Tree House) and serves up some tasty meat stuffs.

The beer you purchase at Tree House can be enjoyed at Westview Creamery on East Hill Road, and at BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge. Both establishments carry BYOB rights!

Asking the thread what is being released before Tree House announces it is pointless. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Wednesday is a can only release day. Usually two different cans, one announced on Tuesday and second can announced on Wednesday. There is usually no need to arrive early on Wednesday to get your cans but they can sell out of cans before closing time. Check their twitter feed for real time updates.

There is no canning runs on Saturday. You will only get cans on Saturday if they did not sell out of cans on the previous day (Friday). You can still get growlers on Saturday and maybe some surprises.

What isn't sold out on the previous day is sold the following open day. People come early, the lines can get long, but the staff is very efficient and the line moves relatively quickly considering the number of people/growlers filled. The staff is very nice and Lauren always has a smile on her face! :)

Is there a bottle shop nearby for other beers (ie Trillium)?

Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, is the closest. It's 20 minutes away. It's just past BT's Smokehouse.

submitted by @YS1977 (Yankee Spirits)

Wednesday morning is usually the better day to get Trillium from us during the week. We're usually sold out by mid-afternoon Wednesday, so usually no luck on Trillium for Thursdays. We don't get our weekly delivery until Friday evening or Saturday morning. Sturbridge - @yankeestur

What about a line?

If you're there before opening, they'll hand out and a few minutes later collect growler slips which are the small pieces of paper from the Tree House official FAQ you didn't read. If you don't see them, ask someone in front of you or someone that works there about growler slips. Fill it out and give it to a staff member. Your paper waits in the growler line, you as a human wait in the can line. There is only one line, which is the can line. You have the option for growlers by filling out the growler slips. The paper slips are numbered so they get filled in the order you are standing in the can line.

I want great selection and no line, when can I go?

Go early in the day when there will be better selection and more lines or go later when lines will be shorter but you risk something running out.

Where do I park?

Parking is in three locations: main lot, upper lot, and the way back lot -- follow the red shirted guy with the red sticks on busy days. Drive slowly on Munn/East Hill Road.

How do I get the rare releases?

Certain beers are released silently to maintain a manageable situation for our staff, retail shop, and neighborhood. Bottom line, you find out on this thread when somebody is lucky enough to be at the brewery on that special day and posts it on this thread.

PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

* Pour Days *

Are occasional and intermittent. Tree House gets asked about it frequently.

Other things...
    • Don't throw stuff in/destroy the koi pond
    • Children, dogs and families are always welcome at Tree House

Busy Parking Days:

REGARDING PARKING ON VERY BUSY EVENINGS - AS A FIRST OPTION, ALWAYS PULL INTO TREE HOUSE PARKING LOT. LOOK FOR TREE HOUSE STAFF IN RED SHIRTS TO GUIDE YOU. ALSO, PLEASE DRIVE SLOW AND WITH EXCEPTIONAL CAUTION ON EAST HILL AND MUNN ROAD - THANK YOU!

Historical information on can/bottle releases:

Awesome Tree House can release spreadsheet done by @BeerTraveler33.

In his own words:

Feel free to remind me, @BeerTraveler33, to update this as I usually only update the file on my work PC and I forget to update the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zWyBt7I2feobTsX5GcZvm91pn3fxuxEu-cI8oodXBi8/edit?usp=sharing

This is the spreadsheet that you seen cropped, cut, and pasted on posts. Full credit should be given to @BeerTraveler33 for creating and maintaining it.

2. JLK7299

JLK7299 Zealot (520) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Cheers to a new month!

3. skleice

skleice Aspirant (203) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Slim pickins today:

No growlers
    Julius 6pp/100cases

4. Joenap419

Joenap419 Initiate (162) Dec 11, 2015 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Yet still 10 cars here

5. Trull

Trull Initiate (128) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

April Fools?

6. Joenap419

Beer Trader

No @pril fools. 3 juice machine to go with 6 julius

cdilisio likes this.
  7. cdilisio

cdilisio Initiate (24) Apr 18, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

Juice machine

...and no line

beanoboy7 likes this.
  8. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,333) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

They need a section of their site to be devoted to all of their beers with their official descriptions, and not just the flagships, because when they do silent releases, you don't get the opportunity to grab their description and add it to the beers on here or other sites. Sure they've released this in the past, but it must have been up on their site and down so fast no one thought to to grab it. I really enjoy the way they describe most of their beers and it's a shame some of those descriptions aren't captured on the beer listings here or elsewhere.

Barracudas and SKOLAR like this.
  9. DigitalNate

DigitalNate Initiate (158) Dec 20, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I agree. Work in progress. :)

10. 7irondave

7irondave Aspirant (251) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Real deal or April fools?

Want to make sure before venturing out in this storm

Current line?

11. pattmettt

pattmettt Initiate (140) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

50 people deepish roughly 5 minutes ago, and yeah the juice is loose no april fools. Ive seen pictures with the date of april 1st printed on them.

HawkeyeBeerLover and 7irondave like this.
  12. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (176) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Venturing out for JM in this weather actually might not be worth it....

HawkeyeBeerLover likes this.
  13. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (243) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's not
    People walking out with only 3 JM. Most likely means no more Julius

14. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (317) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

No more Julius. It's a madhouse but still in/out in 5-10min

15. Shwilly_Vanilli

Shwilly_Vanilli Initiate (198) Dec 20, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Well, that escalated quickly!

Went from almost no line this morning to almost no parking when I arrived at 11:30. Didn't see anyone leaving with Julius cans.

16. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (333) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

In and out in 15 with Juice Machine and an awesome TH cycling jersey at about 11:40.

Juice Machine is gone though, they tweeted they had enough left for the people already in line about ten minutes ago but no more.

17. beardfacejesus

beardfacejesus Initiate (147) Apr 30, 2016 Massachusetts

On site pours for the group that braved (is that the right term when the weather wasn't nearly as bad as expected?) the weather for just 3 cans of Juice Machine. A little bummed I didn't get Julius cans, but getting Juice Machine in a Harmony glass was awesome. Perfect timing too. Jay walked out to announce pours as I was just outside the door. :D

jomobono likes this.
  18. skleice

Beer Trader

The Harmony glass is pretty sweet. I use it for all my wilds/sours.

beardfacejesus likes this.
  19. Joenap419

Beer Trader

Just pours of juice machine or was there more to it?

20. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (218) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Tree House BrewingCo‏ @TreeHouseBrewCo
    You can enjoy a pour of Julius, Green, Doppelgänger, Juice Machine, or a Native Five here until 5:30 today.

21. beardfacejesus

I'd been asking Lauren if they'd carry them in the brewery, because I hardly ever make it down for a Saturday. So glad I got one.

22. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (44) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Pretty awesome tap list if you ask me.

23. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Initiate (114) Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Just got a Harmony glass in a trade. I love it. I just wish it was 16oz so it matched my Trillium Permutation glass that is the same shape or that i had 2 of them hah.

soheadyithurts likes this.
  24. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (176) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thinking it's high time to leave the beer facebook groups I'm in. Between the constant attempts to rip people off ("gonna need a 4:1 ratio of equally rare cans for Juice Machine bro!"), the equally constant offers from people ripping themselves off ("ISO: VH, FT:$50 of one off HF for one can, can't believe I missed Very day!!"), the endless threadshitting on newb questions, an actual belief that 4 week old beer is "at least a week past its prime," and the unending references to secondary market value, I'm starting to get straight up embarrassed to be part of this hobby. I know that's a minority of the good beer drinking population but yuck.

25. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (242) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Was heading to this thread to post something very similar. Sad to say that such great beer brings out such terrible terrible people.

26. OnlyTheFinest

Beer Trader

Exactly why I left all of the groups.

You hit the nail on the head about feeling embarrassed to be part of this hobby. I've met a small amount of interesting people who generally love craft beer, and many sweaty neck beards who take craft beer more seriously than raising their own child.

#26 OnlyTheFinest, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  27. beardfacejesus

Check the replies to some of TH's tweets yesterday. Unbelievable level of disrespect. People literally cursing at them because they didn't get Juice Machine on Wednesday, or cursing at them because they sent out the alert too late about Julius selling out. I swear, some people believe they're entitled to every single good thing, but don't want to take any responsibility or put in any extra effort to obtain it. TH makes sure to lower the limits so more people get their hands on it, and people bitch. They do pours for the people showing up after Julius sold out, people bitch.
    You're trying to buy beer, and you're cursing at the some of the nicest people because you can't get it 100% of the time? Please, do us a favor and just find another brewery, because it's embarrassing, and I don't want to be associated with people like that.

28. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (186) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Craft beer culture is the best and the worst all at the same time

29. skleice

Beer Trader

It's no just beer. Ive been a member of various forums with different interests. Unfortunately, this behavior is a common trend and part of the culture at large.

30. beardfacejesus

I'm sure, but you know what I mean. In this specific situation, it's just beer.

31. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,108) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

We live in a culture of entitlement. Everybody expects the world to revolve around them and their own interests.

I hope none of the people who have worked so hard to make Tree House what it is today take any of that stuff to heart. The vast majority of the people who enjoy their beer do so with the utmost respect for the quality and effort put into not only brewing it, but also everything else that goes into the process of getting it into their hands and into their fridge.

32. Bcelos

Beer Trader

It's amazing how many people expect Tree House "owes" them something or they feel "screwed" if they don't get enough of something. For whatever reason the rumor got spread that they were dropping KJ on Friday and I can't tell you how many people I personally know who drove up there on Friday night and were pissed that there was no KJ. Like honestly you're walking away with cans of Doppleganger and Julius and your upset because you went there for a beer that was rumored to be released and that TH had made absolutely no mention of releasing? And then of course yesterday people being mad that there were only 3 cans to buy in the afternoon, yeah I agree, thats a really low allotment, but no one makes you drive up there.

Juice Machine is a wonderful beer but I was not about to go up there and walk away with three cans. I can't be mad at TreeHouse though because I honestly think they are doing an amazing job given their current situation. For the dude who left work early, ditched his family, or dragged his wife and kids to stand in the freezing rain for an hour for three cans of beer...that's completely on them. Tree House does not force anyone to do anything, and there will always be more beer in the future.

33. OnlyTheFinest

Beer Trader

Just curious, did they change the can allotment for JM after Julius ran out?

34. cdilisio

cdilisio Initiate (24) Apr 18, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

35. MarkF150

MarkF150 Aspirant (270) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

No

36. drubbin

drubbin Initiate (106) Feb 6, 2017 New Jersey

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to Tree House releases. I'm in need of some advice if you guys could help me out -

Planning a Tree House trip this Saturday. My understanding is that they don't can on Saturdays and release the leftovers that day + do growler fills. Historically, how many cases usually last til Saturday? Just trying to figure out whether I should take a Friday off instead of driving up on a Saturday. I'm coming from Jersey too, so it's not like it's right around the corner. I also plan to get there ~two hours before release.

Thanks!

37. 7irondave

7irondave Aspirant (251) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Take friday off

38. skleice

Beer Trader

Saturday is often slim pickins to begin with. It is also the beginning of a vacation week for many schools. On Friday, you could prob get some Thursday leftovers + at least one new can offering and growlers too. No brainer.

Barracudas likes this.
  39. Bcelos

Beer Trader

As others said, I would try to go on Friday in the early afternoon. You should be able to get at least two types of cans and growlers (if you don't mind waiting for fills). Saturday is a crap shoot and you aren't guaranteed anything, they do usually do full pours Saturday afternoons know which are nice though.

40. TPIR

TPIR Initiate (143) Jan 29, 2017 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. It's true that there are people complaining and Tweeting out some less than nice things, to put it mildly. But there are also a bunch of great people up there each and every week who are generally friendly and are fun to talk to. And that kind of behavior encourages more of the same, and makes TH a fun place to go, for more than just some (really good) beer.

Here's the thing about Saturday's JM release. Sure it took people by surprise and as such, a lot of people who would have wanted it didn't get it. (Count me among those people...I found out too late. That's on me.) But even with the quick sellout, they made it available until 5:30 by offering full pours. Sure, you couldn't take it with you, or trade it later, but for people who are simply anxious to try an awesome hard to find beer, TH gave them that opportunity for more than 7 hours between can sales and full pours. That's pretty cool, and I think it would go a long way for people to take a moment to thank TH for being as customer centric as they are.

Spoild, aqi317, fulcrumbs and 7 others like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe