Tree House Brewing Company (December 2015)

Discussion in 'New England' started by eb1610, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (218) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Pretty ridiculous prank, something I'd expect out of some young kids as opposed to the craft brew crowd. People never seize to surprise you... Soon we'll see a sign posted that says "please don't padlock the deuce dungeons" and it will go to show that every sign is there as a reaction to some mouth breather.

2. Hos

Hos Aspirant (202) Mar 25, 2015 Massachusetts

Anyone know of a can return place near West Springfield, MA that accepts TH cans? I've had zero luck. Thanks!

3. AC-Wagner

AC-Wagner Initiate (45) Dec 5, 2015 Connecticut

Can't say I've ever given this issue a moments thought. All mine go right to the curbside recycler - and assume the single point of sale these cans originate from gets an extra nickel for selling me some great ale......

4. toddlikesb33r

toddlikesb33r Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Washington

I'm visiting from Seattle, and my uncle told me all about this place then gave me 6 of their beers. They are amazing for sure ... but I'm curious about the whole 'show up early stand in line' nature of this place. Can someone fill me in on their history from a Beer Geek perspective? How did they come to have such a following that people line up for hours a few times a week?

I'm thankful I got 3 Julius and 3 Twenty Three from my awesome uncle.

Rysk22 likes this.
  5. skleice

skleice Aspirant (265) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Here's an old video you may like. I don't know the specific answer to your question. All I can say is they have an amazing product, great costumer service, smart business sense and a loyal following.

I should mention that they have expanded a good deal since this video.

MikeM417 likes this.
  6. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (346) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

1. They're really good.
    2. This is how really good breweries in New England operate, for the most part.

7. Ineedabeerhere

Ineedabeerhere Defender (657) Nov 21, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Any place should accept any can... the bar code might not be recognized by the automated machine (it typically only knows the SKUs that are registered in the store/chain or in the state?), but you can ask an employee to manually count your cans and issue you a credit. I did this all the time when I was living in CT and I recycled hundreds of bottles and cans which were not distributed in state that I got in trades from around the country....

8. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (366) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I miss those days at the barn when 30 people at open was a ton

9. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (968) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Tree House is an abnormality, everything I have had is perfectly executed

10. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (106) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

As @oldbean said, there are several breweries in New England where this is the norm. First, the beer is amazing. But also, I think it's geography; mainly the fact that most of the NE states are small. We think nothing of driving to another state for the day. It's not that far!

I'm in CT; I go to Boston and NYC all the time, 2 hour drive, no biggie. VT/ME/NH not that much farther. So when we hear of a great brewery in another state, it's just a short-ish drive away that we're used to, unlike huge states out West. I think 3 or 4 of our states could fit in your entire state? :slight_smile: When an amazing brewery opens in New England, their customer base is all of New England, pretty much, not just their state. And there are many cities in the NE geographical area with a higher proportion of "beer geeks" than states with a bunch of small towns surrounding a large urban area.

Very general numbers after a basic search: there are about 300 breweries in Washington state, about 275 in New England. So think of the best brewery in your state, and apply to that all of New England, which is often a much shorter drive for us than someone from Spokane going to Seattle.

Most importantly, I think, it's the D/IPA craze. Until recently, East Coast IPAs were different. TH and a couple of others in NE really perfected the juicy, fruity, tropical thing. And TH is really small, but making great IPAs. They can't yet produce enough to keep up with demand. If they could produce enough to open 5 days a week, the long lines might diminish. As more people entered the craft beer game in recent years, they want the highly sought after, difficult to get D/IPAs. They hear Julius (or whatever) is hard to get, they WANT IT NOW.

Sorry for the long post, but it was an interesting question that made me think, cheers!

11. Auror

Auror Defender (607) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

MA stores are only required to take back cans/bottles and return the deposit on items that they sell. Many often take back all, but it is not required by law. That being said the brewery IS required by law to take back the cans.

12. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (157) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Super Phipps in Westfield. Never had a problem bringing them there.

13. skleice

4 canning runs this week and 2 can only days! Sap?

14. PeteKuncis

PeteKuncis Initiate (48) Dec 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Looks like Eureka colors on the website to me.

Mikecap and Evmo31 like this.
  15. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (190) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

16. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (147) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Damn was thinking about a trek Wednesday and was hoping for growlers

17. RichD

RichD Crusader (787) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I wouldn't hold your breath. With that being said, I think I had the last batch they brewed and it was fantastic. I would definitely welcome more Sap.

I think we'll see King Julius again before we see Sap.

18. Sneex

Sneex Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 Rhode Island

+1. My 7 year old misses eating peanuts and playing the bongos in the old place, too. At least now they've got a pond I can distract her with.

eb1610 likes this.
  19. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (87) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut

Queen Green

Mikecap likes this.
  20. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (206) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Interested to see if the extra day without growler fills will allow them to catch up with draft beers. Also curious to see what limits they'll have These first two days... 12pp tomorrow, then 8pp of 2 different beers Wednesday?

21. JStewart00

JStewart00 Initiate (134) Aug 20, 2014 New Jersey

Anxious to see the morning post tomorrow!

halo3one likes this.
  22. adventurtons

adventurtons Initiate (0) May 30, 2015 Connecticut

I'm curious as well. Wanted to snag growlers and only wed works so will have to see if what is released is worth our while to make the drive. If they did 1 or 2 can release tuesday and another to make 3 on wed it would probably be enough to push me over the edge. All the days are going to be madness with people taking vacation days and trying to snag cans before the new year.

23. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (461) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

The lines are blurred.

24. ryanlefebvre93

ryanlefebvre93 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2015 New Hampshire

Looks like Eureka w/Mosaic. another canning run planned later in the afternoon though

25. paddyfrankie

paddyfrankie Initiate (165) Jan 14, 2015 New York
    Trader

Probably not too crazy this afternoon with only Eureka announced at this point right?

26. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Initiate (30) Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

nailed it!

Shwilly_Vanilli likes this.
  27. Danger

Danger Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 Massachusetts

Does that mean that the 2nd canning run will be on at open? Tempted to go today but the weather is kind of offputting. Could go tomorrow.

28. Moopband

Moopband Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2010 New York

They wrote 2nd can will be available at open.

29. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (190) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Tree House BrewingCo ‏@TreeHouseBrewCo 31 minutes ago
    Planning a second canning run this afternoon. Stay tuned. (This will *not* be the norm. Short holiday week has us crunching.)

30. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (800) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Remember when Eureka used to be a case limit? Man, have they gotten popular!

31. Hos

Hos Aspirant (202) Mar 25, 2015 Massachusetts

Way back like a few weeks ago! lol

jlordi12 likes this.
  32. jlordi12

Serious question. With the amount of cash running through that place on a normal day do you think it would be wise for them to pay for some type of armed security ? I'm sure as more people hear about places like this some criminally minded folks are also hearing the same.

33. berto714

berto714 Aspirant (280) Oct 16, 2014 New York

Do that many people actually pay with cash?

34. jlordi12

I don't know the answer to this, but I'd say a good amount do

35. PeteKuncis

PeteKuncis Initiate (48) Dec 6, 2014 Massachusetts

I'd be more worried about someone mugging me for my TH beer than I would my wallet.

Horbar, skleice, Hammerhead79 and 3 others like this.
  36. jlordi12

say they ran through 800 cases in a day at an average can price of 3.5 a pop. Thats 67K in sales. Throw in another 20K in growler fills and I'd say they have tens of thousands of dollars (cash) on site at any given time.

37. skleice

I have actually never seen a single person pay with cash at either checkout. If security is necessary (and I don't think it is), I'd say it's more to deal with the insane crowds.

EssJay006 and jlordi12 like this.
  38. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Is there a reason they keep what will be available a secret?

39. Danger

Danger Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 Massachusetts

Probably just to avoid misleading people. Don't want to announce something, have a canning issue, and then explain to people at the door that something isn't available.

JGLittle, skleice and jomobono like this.
  40. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

Mainly they don't announce until its being packaged. I think they want it to actually be available when they announce. Mainly on the first opening of the week the cans are coming off the line anyways, so if there are any issues along the way they don't want to mislead people. My 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.