Tree House Brewing Company (December 2015)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by eb1610, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (94) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

I'd say that's a pretty good estimate, and people kept rolling in after they opened. Big crowd for sure, but the Treehouse crew zoomed through it per usual.

2. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

Good 100+ like currently, still only took about 20-25 minutes to get through.

3. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

wow they went through 200 cases of C23 already. Hoping there is some left for tomorrow

concealed likes this.
  4. dubdrop

dubdrop Disciple (342) Aug 6, 2012 Vermont
    Trader

damn...at the rate they're going, I hope they lower the limit on C23 so I can snag a few cans on Friday!

5. Jewrican23

Jewrican23 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts

I plan on making my first trip to Tree House this Saturday morning and was wondering if anybody thinks that Julius will last until then? Also if I arrive around 12 or 1 is the line gonna be insane?

6. MenardMa

MenardMa Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2011 Connecticut

Yes, the line will be insane most likely. Depends on what they release this week though, not even worth speculating until we know what they'll have. If I had to guess, cans might be either gone or very low by Sat. but they might have some Julius on for growlers.

7. Shwilly_Vanilli

Shwilly_Vanilli Initiate (161) Dec 20, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Got there around 3, and couldn't believe the line. At least 40 deep outside the building. As usual, the Treehouse crew were awesome and kept everything moving smoothly, but it looks like the days of fast in-and-out with cans on Wednesdays are over.

8. mrl491

mrl491 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2015 New Hampshire

I would be surprised if there was still Julius cans on Saturday.

9. Jewrican23

Jewrican23 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts

But growlers of Julius should still be around for Saturday?

10. CayseyW

CayseyW Zealot (528) Mar 7, 2013 Connecticut

I saw some pictures so I know they were busy but I just did some quick math... did they really have around 1,200 people come through today!? I know there has been some debate in previous threads about people getting back in line after they get their first max, I hope that's not the case. Heading up Friday either way. No bitterness here, I would rather just think they got a huge swarm of people and not hoarders.

11. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

I definitely didn't notice anyone going back through the line, there were a handful of mules around me in line though. So, bleh.

12. ct8468

ct8468 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Connecticut

First impressions of c23? Does it stack up to 22?

13. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

Wouldn't be suprised by the scene there today. People were getting in line just as fast as the crew could sell cans. I have never seen a Wednesday, or really any day like today there. Steady stream of people all day. Sounds like the line was out the door for at least the first 4 hours they were open. And cars were still filing in around 4, i was really suprised when i showed up

14. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (206) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

Yup, I got there right at 5 and had to park across the street. Walked over to a line at least 40-50 deep (on the outside). Got to the tables in about 20-25 minutes and asked Steph if it had been like this all day. "All day!" She and Lauren were still all smiles but you could sense they were kinda stunned by how busy it was today.

15. mcd432

mcd432 Initiate (64) Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina

Capt_Quint said it before in the November thread.

"Days like this make me think TH will suffer the same fate as The Alchemist. Their neighbors cannot be pleased with this. Here's hoping I'm wrong."

It would seem that something's gotta give.

16. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

Whatever type of printing they are using for the labels now doesn't seem to handle moisture very well. I love the artwork they are putting on these Curiosity cans and unfortunately the black ink on most of my C23 cans was smudged/runny. First world problems.

17. RichD

RichD Champion (812) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Tree House themselves have mentioned that they are quite disappointed by this. I would assume that the materials that they're using for labels will be much better in the near future.

slengteng likes this.
  18. AC-Wagner

AC-Wagner Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2015 Connecticut

"Capt_Quint said it before in the November thread.

"Days like this make me think TH will suffer the same fate as The Alchemist. Their neighbors cannot be pleased with this. Here's hoping I'm wrong."

It would seem that something's gotta give."

I never went to the Alchemist but are they on a busier road with more opportunities for accidents that the farm road Tree House is on? I think also they were opened more days and longer than TH. It does not seem like the demand is even close to leveling off yet for the beers....

19. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

I'm not surprised given that they obviously put a good amount of care into the design, but that's good to hear.

20. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Aspirant (226) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

I was planning on making my first treehouse trip next Friday. Monitoring how these sales go makes me think that by Friday of a week like this cans will be slim pickings. Looks like the current stock of Julius and c23 won't make it through tomorrow. And whatever is released tomorrow may be all that's left. Coming from NY so a 6 pp of one style is kinda rough. (I know there will be growlers)

I also fear next week being closer to Xmas will just make it worse. Any input?

21. Koges

Koges Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York

1,314 people went through the line today? That's crazy

22. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (825) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I believe they said 5 beers for growlers this week, so that leaves three beers. One will be canned, so at the very least, I'd say you'd have a shot at cans of one beer, and growlers of three on Friday.

23. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (558) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Bad for us, but congrats to the Tree House crew, this is a special type of success that is rare to find in life!

And I'd wager that a double shot variant should be popping up soon

24. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (825) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Double shot is probably my favorite Treehouse beer, and I agree. Wouldn't be shocked to see it in cans tomorrow but I didn't say anything.

25. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (397) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

My understanding is that in the case of the Alchemist it had more to do with neighbors being unhappy with the amount of traffic. I remember one person specifically complaining about the number of people turning around in their driveway, and some even driving over the lawn...

TH may once again legally be in the right with this in terms of zoning, etc, but I've got to think the neighbors are getting tired of it. And I'd be surprised if the TH crew weren't at least a little concerned. You don't live in Monson for the crowds...If I had been living on that quiet farm road for 20 years (hell, even one year), I'd be pretty pissed about all the traffic. I bought a house on a quiet farm road for a reason...

lic217 and concealed like this.
  26. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (124) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

The Alchemist's current location is on a more main road, relative to Waterbury, than TH's. At least one article made it sound like it was the town and other businesses that were frustrated & concerned by the traffic than merely the immediate neighbors.

In addition to capacity, TH's move from Brimfield was prompted similarly, although I think TH actually got sued and I don't believe things reached that point for the Alchemist.

With the long range plans for brick oven pizza (?) and a pub, I have to believe/hope that the highly intelligent TH crew was aware of the potential traffic draw to this location and are completely zoned or approved for it, especially considering the events in Brimfield.

(Emphasis on "hope"!)

27. mcd432

mcd432 Initiate (64) Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina

Completely agree.

Aside from neighborhood concerns I would think that the TH gang (stellar performers that they at managing chaos) are going to reach their limits as crowds continue to grow. Also, with crowds inherently comes problems (e.g., people drinking in line, inconsideration / impatient behavior while waiting, being pissed if after a long drive missing the cut-off window before TH closes, etc.). Anyway, I guess we shall all see how this plays-out but it seems clear that the secret of the gem in Monson is out there and here come the prospectors.

28. paddyfrankie

paddyfrankie Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2015 New York

Ftom what I heard the Alchemist became such a shitshow that people were pulling over in the shoulder of the highway (well over a mile away) and running down the main road due to all of the traffic caused by the brewery. To me that sounds like something that the town and other businesses on the road would put a stop too.

29. RKing44

RKing44 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts

Yeah, that never happened.

Auror likes this.
  30. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (158) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Zoned or not. If you piss off your neighbors that's bad news. Ultimately it's up to us to not act like jackasses and lose our shit just because a rarez was released. As long as we all act like we've been there before we should be good.

Shyla987, RJpatriots and paddyfrankie like this.
  31. paddyfrankie

paddyfrankie Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2015 New York

Ok I may be wrong, but multiple store owners up there told that tale when I was up there in Febuary.

32. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Aspirant (226) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

Hard decision, I'd have to put in to take off next Friday by Tuesday. I would hate to do it, then come Friday morning have cans sold out or have it be a limit of like 2 on 2 different beers. Growlers are great but coming from NY I won't be at treehouse too often to need all those growlers.

Don't mean to sound greedy, it's great beer but that's a long trek, I've been monitoring the past few weeks/months and it seemed Friday would have lots of options and decent limits. What happened in the past two weeks?

33. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

2 weeks ago was heavy due to Thanksgiving. Last week was King Jilius. Yesterday's mob was a surprise for me, but maybe that's the new norm. Higher can limits certainly bring out the crowds...

34. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

8 PP?

35. JayKoz

8 PP has been the norm on Wednesdays, definitely not something to consider a higher can limit.

36. RJpatriots

RJpatriots Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2015 Massachusetts

37. JayKoz

They were slammed Thanksgiving week, and then had King Julius the week after.. at this point, they're playing catch up. Hard to do, beer doesn't ferment overnight.

But they'll do it.

If it were me? I'm coming home with cans and growlers if I'm traveling that far. I'm lucky to only have a 50 minute ride, and even then, I try to come back with both - some cans to share with friends, and some for myself to warrant my trip. These TH IPAs hold up so well in comparison to other breweries, growlers never worry me.

38. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

It's all relative. There's usually 2 can varieties on Wednesday. With limits at 8+ you can get 16 cans and sometimes many more. Limits used to be much lower with less variety. The demand simply out weighs the supply.

39. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (182) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

For Thursday 12/10
    Cans:
    - Julius, 4pp, 61 cases
    - Curiosity 23, 2pp, 12 cases
    - Alter Ego, 6pp, 450 cases

On-tap for bottle fills:
    Julius, Curiosity 23, Alter Ego

jomobono likes this.
  40. JayKoz

Have they had a Wednesday yet where they've sold ~438 cases of one of their beers?

Yesterday can't be chalked up to the "high" can limit. That's all I'm saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.