Tree House Brewing Company (February 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (205) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New monthly Tree House thread.

Always check out the following link to see what is available for sale, starting on Wednesday (the first, of two canning runs, is posted on Tuesday but both are sold on Wednesday). Cans and Tree House growlers are sold and filled at the brewery only. Must be Tree House growlers per MA law. There are bottle releases randomly (i.e. Double Shot or Native bottles) but bottles are infrequent.

http://treehousebrew.com/on-tap/

Yes, limits are enforced and subject to change at the brewery's discretion. Only one time through the line, per day, and absolutely no drinking in the line or on the property. Also, don't speed through the neighborhood and don't park on the neighbor's property for any reason. Do not walk behind the brewery , block the driveway, or block the entrance doorway, which serves as the exit too. They have parking lots where you are suppose to park. It's winter and it's cold out there so make room to close the door!

CURRENT REGULAR HOURS: Wednesday from 12-6 PM for Can Sales Only. Growlers & Can sales Thurs. & Fri 4-8 PM & Saturday Growlers & Can sales from 11 AM - 6 PM.

Per an arrangement with the town, Tree House will open early if all the parking lots are full.

THREE TOTAL GROWLERS on Thurs, Fri, and Sat HAS BEEN THE NORM LATELY. DURING SLOWER TIMES 4-5 PP MAY BE OFFERED!

ON BUSY WEEKNIGHTS GROWLER CARDS MAY BE CAPPED ~ 350

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

FOLLOW @treehousebrewco on Twitter for real time updates

@DigitalNate has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

FAQ (work in progress. By the way, Tree House has it's own FAQ page that is well written and everybody should read it before reaching out for answers)

http://treehousebrew.com/faq/

There isn't a tap room where you can drink except for special pour days (see below). All beer sold to-go and only available at the brewery. Tree House beer swag is sold at the brewery. They have some nice stuff.

BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge (east of Tree House) and serves up some tasty meat stuffs.

The beer you purchase at Tree House can be enjoyed at Westview Creamery on East Hill Road, and at BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge. Both establishments carry BYOB rights!

Asking the thread what is being released before Tree House announces it is pointless. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Wednesday is a can only release day. Usually two different cans, one announced on Tuesday and second can announced on Wednesday. There is usually no need to arrive early on Wednesday to get your cans but they can sell out of cans before closing time. Check their twitter feed for real time updates.

There is no canning runs on Saturday. You will only get cans on Saturday if they did not sell out of cans on the previous day (Friday). You can still get growlers on Saturday and maybe some surprises.

What isn't sold out on the previous day is sold the following open day. People come early, the lines can get long, but the staff is very efficient and the line moves relatively quickly considering the number of people/growlers filled. The staff is very nice and Lauren always has a smile on her face! :slight_smile:

Is there a bottle shop nearby for other beers (ie Trillium)?

Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, is the closest. It's 20 minutes away. It's just past BT's Smokehouse.

submitted by @YS1977 (Yankee Spirits)

Wednesday morning is usually the better day to get Trillium from us during the week. We're usually sold out by mid-afternoon Wednesday, so usually no luck on Trillium for Thursdays. We don't get our weekly delivery until Friday evening or Saturday morning. Sturbridge - @yankeestur

What about a line?

If you're there before opening, they'll hand out and a few minutes later collect growler slips which are the small pieces of paper from the Tree House official FAQ you didn't read. If you don't see them, ask someone in front of you or someone that works there about growler slips. Fill it out and give it to a staff member. Your paper waits in the growler line, you as a human wait in the can line. There is only one line, which is the can line. You have the option for growlers by filling out the growler slips. The paper slips are numbered so they get filled in the order you are standing in the can line.

I want great selection and no line, when can I go?

Go early in the day when there will be better selection and more lines or go later when lines will be shorter but you risk something running out.

Where do I park?

Parking is in three locations: main lot, upper lot, and the way back lot -- follow the red shirted guy with the red sticks on busy days. Drive slowly on Munn/East Hill Road.

How do I get the rare releases?

Certain beers are released silently to maintain a manageable situation for our staff, retail shop, and neighborhood. Bottom line, you find out on this thread when somebody is lucky enough to be at the brewery on that special day and posts it on this thread.

PLEASE NOTE THAT LIMITS MAY BE ADJUSTED AT ANY TIME.
    It's very rare that we change limits, but still need the option if we feel it will be more equitable for folks.

* Pour Days *

Are occasional and intermittent. Tree House gets asked about it frequently.

Good Morning

Good Morning releases are silent releases and thus are NOT announced ahead of time. Nobody, outside of Tree House staff, know the release days. Good Morning has only been released in their 750 mL growlers in very limited quantities per person. This is done to allow as many people, as possible, to try and enjoy this beer. Growlers of it usually last more than one day, so don't worry if you miss the first silent release day. There is no guarantee that Good Morning will be released this winter but Nate knows how much people love that beer.

Other things...
    • Don't throw stuff in/destroy the koi pond
    • Children, dogs and families are always welcome at Tree House

Finally:

REGARDING PARKING ON VERY BUSY EVENINGS - AS A FIRST OPTION, ALWAYS PULL INTO TREE HOUSE PARKING LOT. LOOK FOR TREE HOUSE STAFF IN RED SHIRTS TO GUIDE YOU. ALSO, PLEASE DRIVE SLOW AND WITH EXCEPTIONAL CAUTION ON EAST HILL AND MUNN ROAD - THANK YOU!

Being a member of the Parking Staff is a thankless job. It is sometimes very frustrating to have the parking lots full and being asked to drive around to see if a spot has freed up on busy days. Certainly, it's not the staff in the red shirts fault. In the rush (panic) to get beer, some people do and say the wrong things. :angry: How about at least a kind word to the Red Shirts, who are freezing out there and are trying to help you with your parking?

Please respect our hours.

Why does Tree House write that on their On Tap page?

People come early, which forces the brewery to open early. However, these people work a long day which is usually longer because of the parking situation. They process an enormous amount of orders. It's quite the work day. No other system would allow for the maximum number of people getting beer at their current location. Therefore, don't expect them to stay open past their posted closing time. They need to go home.

Awesome Tree House can release spreadsheet done by @BeerTraveler78.

In his own words:

Feel free to remind me to update this as I usually only update the file on my work PC and I forget to update the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zWyBt7I2feobTsX5GcZvm91pn3fxuxEu-cI8oodXBi8/edit?usp=sharing

2. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Aspirant (203) Feb 5, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Loving that Tree House shouted out Migos' "Bad & Boujee" on the recent canning run of Julius.

Here's to a strong month from TH!

3. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

6 Julius + 7 Eureka w/ Citra today.

4. Nkapura

Nkapura Initiate (171) May 31, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

From last post of Jan: "Last two Wednesday's they opened around 11 then 10? Has this been the trend lately?? Wondering if I could squeeze a run in before afternoon obligations."

As people have commented before, opening early is normal (they have to open when lots are full), but how early definitely varies.

5. NEB_beer

NEB_beer Initiate (129) Jan 28, 2016 Massachusetts

Eureka and Dr. J, nice combo!

6. SuperSourFan

SuperSourFan Initiate (32) Oct 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Hil. I am heading up from NJ today to TH. Looking for Sip and Trillium if possible. Called Yankee in Sturbridge and they don't have either at the moment. Any suggestions of any bottle shops on the way up where I might find some?

Thanks in advance.

7. Hos

Hos Aspirant (229) Mar 25, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You can find SoS on your trip through CT I bet today. Liquor Cabinet in East Granby got some yesterday which means it came to a bunch of places yesterday as well most likely. If you can find who normally gets it might have some luck. Not sure of a place along your path that would be quick and easy since East Granby is a good ways west off 91 and they limit you to 2/pp. Search the SoS threads and you may find some easier locations for it but be aware CT places tend to have lots of "secret handshake" type deals.

8. Nkapura

Beer Trader

Not sure about Sip, but pretty sure Trillium hasnt resumed distribution since they switched from bottles to cans. Could be mistaken though.

9. Jsukys

Jsukys Initiate (143) Apr 18, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

For the most part that seems to be the case. You can always hit up the Canton location and walk away with enough beer to weigh your car down

skleice likes this.
  10. Bgar15

Bgar15 Initiate (119) Dec 15, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Planning to head up to TH today. Would getting there around 1PM be a good idea in regards to minimizing the wait time and coming away with a full can allotment? Figured right after the lunch crowd would be a good time, although I've never made a TH trip before so I'm just assuming.

11. Hos

Hos Aspirant (229) Mar 25, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Will depend on when they decide to open a little bit but 1:00 has been very easy the last couple weeks mainly because they've opened I want to say at like 10-11. 2PM use to be a really good time but that was when they opened closer to the listed 12:00. Can't imagine today will be a real long wait around 1:00 but just don't know what the crowd will be like with a decent per person amount available, EBF going on soon, and people stocking up for some "football" game. At least the weather is decent so enjoy!

Bgar15 likes this.
  12. SuperSourFan

Beer Trader

Thanks. How far is Canton from TH?

13. marcrgrenier

marcrgrenier Initiate (137) Apr 22, 2015 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

a little over an hour further...if you have time it generally works best to go to trillium first then hit treehouse on the way back through since Trillium opens at 11

SuperSourFan likes this.
  14. BEEPOP

BEEPOP Aspirant (243) Sep 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

When I used to go up that way I would do this. Hit up Trillium at 11 am, go to the Amber Road Cafe for brunch 2 miles from Trillium, drive to TH, in-and-out for cans since most of the rush died down and drive home. EZ Wednesday.

skleice and jopdogg5 like this.
  15. kuntmissioner

kuntmissioner Initiate (13) Jan 29, 2016 Massachusetts

73 miles from trill to TH. If no traffic, you could probably drive that distance in 73 minutes.

16. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (204) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you head to Canton you should still be able to find Sip at the Wegmans in Westwood which is under 5 minutes from Trillium. Call first to make sure

17. SuperSourFan

Beer Trader

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

18. JLK7299

JLK7299 Defender (698) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Cheers to another great month!

19. Bruncut

Bruncut Initiate (101) Jan 30, 2017 Massachusetts

All 3 beers I've had lately (julius, green, doppelganger) taste the same. Exactly the same canteloupe/honeydew flavor and no hop aroma whatsoever. I have to assume is a QC issue because I've had a doppel drinking much different last year. Hope they fix it SOON.

20. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,271) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

You think maybe your palate is fatigued? I have Julius and Green from the last batch and they taste just how they're supposed to taste.

kuntmissioner likes this.
  21. agreenman19

agreenman19 Meyvn (1,016) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Might wanna get that palate checked out. Are there taste doctors?

kuntmissioner and happyreefer like this.
  22. beardfacejesus

beardfacejesus Initiate (153) Apr 30, 2016 Massachusetts

Yeah, that doesn't sound right.
    If it was a perceived QC issue, Nate wouldn't have released the beer.

skleice likes this.
  23. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (78) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I got a pour of doppelgänger and my friend got a pour of green at the brewery last weekend. They taste nothing alike.

24. Dschwartz83

Dschwartz83 Initiate (173) Feb 1, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Anyone have any speculation for today's availability?

Jmr85 likes this.
  25. BeerKev11

BeerKev11 Initiate (133) Feb 27, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

That brings up a great question...has that ever happened?

26. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,075) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

No specific anecdotes regarding Tree House here, but every brewery dumps beer, even the best. Taking your user image into account, you likely are knowledgeable on the process so it probably isn't telling you anything that this would occur prior to packaging and thus the public typically wouldn't know about it.

27. Nkapura

Beer Trader

Ha, I thought you were responding to "any speculation about what will be released." Because no, I'm fairly sure no one has ever done that on this message board...

SpauldingSmails and Dschwartz83 like this.
  28. beardfacejesus

RateBeerBest posted their Best By Style, and Best New Beers list today. Deservedly so, Tree House was featured heavily on the IPA and DIPA list. You can check it out here: https://www.ratebeer.com/ratebeerbest/

Congrats TH!

29. ScaryEd

Probably Bright 10 pp

Or something else

30. ScaryEd

I think I've heard of at least one instance of this happening, which is part of the reason they don't announce the beer until it's "safely packaged". Also the "planned but not guaranteed" disclaimer on their website, although that's fairly recent.

31. jopdogg5

jopdogg5 Initiate (122) Dec 27, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Bright 12x good call haha

32. agreenman19

Beer Trader

Thing is, Tree House consistently releases the same-ish quantity of beer every week. Dumping 500 cases worth of beer would be very noticeable.

Disclaimer: I like to drink beer, not brew it, so I don't know much about the process. Apologies for the ignorance. Is it possible they package beer early or have a backup plan in case of a bad batch so as not to have a giant hole in their release schedule? Like, if a beer sits in the fermenter for 3 weeks, can you package it at 2 weeks or 4 weeks and get roughly the same result? Maybe they brew extra in case of a bad batch, and if all batches are good, wait til next week to package that beer? Then adjust the brew schedules accordingly.

Gee, I wonder how much thought and planning goes into making the beer schedule for these smaller breweries.

33. beardfacejesus

Check out their Twitter replies from earlier today, they actually addressed this and how the schedule works. Nate makes his schedule for the upcoming week on Sunday. When asked if he considered making the announcement of what they're brewing/what to expect ahead of time, he mentioned:

"Crowd management already extremely difficult, & the schedule changes on the fly due to whim & spontaneity." and that he "doesn't want to lose that freedom anytime soon."

troupos40 likes this.
  34. bla211

bla211 Initiate (169) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Heard Trillium plans hoppy beers 5 years out so they can buy the proper hops when they pop up

35. llrain

llrain Initiate (110) Dec 9, 2016 Massachusetts

Since I literally 2 towns from monson I am blessed to go more frequently than others however it has taken a toll on my palate to the effect that it seems recently that it is indeed my palate or they have been watering down I'll call it the batches. .the intensity is weaker since November on my taste. And as you say the majority of the batches are tasting too alike I can't tell them are part anymore.

36. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Aspirant (203) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anyone who frequents these threads has read plenty of dissenting opinions on batch quality. Usually, most like a given batch but inevitably there will be at least a couple others who find it off. Your perception can't be argued because it is yours, at that given moment in time and given your unique palette.

I personally have found a number of factors influence my own experience "bigly." They are:
    1. Serving temperature
    2. Food consumed with beer
    3. Do I have a cold/illness at that time?
    4. Glassware (anything resembling the typical wine glass helps with aroma)
    5. Is this my first beer of the day (I lose ability to resolve nuances beyond the first)?
    6. How fresh is this beer?
    All these mitigating factors are why I put little weight into blind taste tests, even when done by professionals. I think this all plays into batch tasting experiences too, and why we may find variation when perhaps there is truly none. Maybe these batches were truly off, but 99/100 times I think the case is that the batches that are released are up to par.

thatche2 and Hos like this.
  37. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,075) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Don't forget both hop potency can vary, and yeast is a living, changing organism.

However, take into account, if all you are drinking is these intensely hoppy beers, you are acclimating yourself to higher levels of bitterness--even though these aren't bitter bombs, the compounds in hops are still enveloping your palate. If you never change things up, (different beer styles and different breweries), or never take breaks here and there from excessively hopped beers, to a degree, your palate will continually perceive less explosive flavors relative to what you originally experienced.

38. agreenman19

Beer Trader

I noticed you seem to be running low on these, so here are a bunch for future posts:

, , , , , , , , , ,
    . . . . . . . .

If you need any capital letters, don't hesitate to ask. Those are free.

Brehnert, Nickwierda, trsC and 2 others like this.
  39. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Aspirant (203) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

These are great points too. I always try and mix in some default beer (see lightly hopped lagers and other cleaner tasting beers like Kolsch) to keep my experiences with the hop bombs nice and potent. I wonder what the washout period or conditions are for beer, i.e. cleansing your palette/mind so you experience that beer as if it was kinda like your first time.

40. agreenman19

Beer Trader

I don't think this really answers the question. Nate says on Sunday he plans what to brew that week, but not what they release. Obviously that must be planned much further in advance. And unless all beers take the exact same amount of time to make (doubtful), planning must be pretty intensive.

Let's make it easy and assume most beers take 3 weeks to brew. So that February 5 scheduling session would be essentially "What do I want to release the week of February 27th?"

But then that doesn't account for any potential bad batches that can't be released, and unless Nate is really sneaky, I don't think I've seen a bad batch (i.e. low yield that week) since they started regularly canning. So the question comes back: is there a contingency plan for bad batches? Or do they just not brew bad beer? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.