Dismiss Notice
We're bringing our Belgian Beer Fest back to Boston June 22nd & 23rd!

Learn More

Tree House Brewing Company (June 2015)

Discussion in 'New England' started by chewy527, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Congrats to the whole crew. It seems like it was a FANTASTIC festival. I have already marked my calendar for next year so I remember to take the day off. I can not miss this next year.

Quick question for Nate. I have some Julius cans from Saturdays release and on Sunday the first tasted a little green. Today it is much better. I hope to try one each day to see how it develops but was wondering what his preference is on Julius after being canned.
    HeyHayward likes this.
  2. pisano

pisano Zealot (525) Sep 18, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I agree, I think it needs a few days in the can to acclimate. Found the same thing with C14. Day 3 in the can tasted better than day 1.
  3. DigitalNate

DigitalNate Initiate (161) Dec 20, 2010 Massachusetts
    Industry Beer Trader

My personal preference is super fresh, raw Julius. It's pretty intense with citrus rind flavors and a pure hop bag aroma. . . It absolutely evolves after a period of acclimatization in the can/growler. Generally, it hits a super juicy peak phase from about 5 -30 days old. Beyond that, it begins to get more sweet fruit character as the hops fade and the malts comes out a bit.

I've broadened my focus on these large batches to not only be delicious but to be as resilient as possible in the package. So far the batches that are 'raw' when young seem to have a much, much longer peak phase. Working hard to find the right balance of deliciousness and resiliency. . .!
  4. Nav71292

Nav71292 Initiate (186) Oct 14, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Since you hooked it up this weekend and plenty of us were able to score 12+ cans, I'm sure we could gather a taste testing group... everyone has a can every couple days and reports back on deliciousness. For science, ya know? :grinning::grinning::grinning:
    #284 Nav71292, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  5. pjs234

pjs234 Zealot (544) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

Hey Nate- I recall seeing you post somewhere that you were working on a way to date the cans. Any update on the timing for this? I just picked up some fresh Julius this past weekend and still had two cans from the last batch left over. I put those off to the side so I could drink them first, but my wife ended up moving them back to the area with the other cans. Now I can't tell older from newer (first world problems).
  6. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

We've all been there.

"Huuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnn..........you moved my beer around and now I can't tell which were the old vs. new!!!!!"

"You got too much beer shit in there anyway.....why don't you just use a sharpie to mark the old ones"

"I would if I could find one....but you got too much shit in that drawer"
  7. jamis

jamis Initiate (149) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You could always just mark them with a sharpie on the bottom of the can yourself in the meantime...
    Horbar and Emmige1 like this.
  8. Emmige1

Emmige1 Initiate (56) Dec 1, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Color in the J
  9. pjs234

pjs234 Zealot (544) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

Thought about doing that... after the wife moved the cans around. Won't happen again, just got me wondering about when/if they'll be dated. Really, the whole 3wks old vs 3 days old is not that big of a deal... not like I could tell the difference either way.
  10. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (290) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Come on, you're supposed to pretend to be able to detect minor variations—even between cans from the same batch—so you can impress nerds on the internet :slight_smile: Bonus points if you say things like "Fresh XXX is one of the top-5 IPAs in the world, but after two weeks it really falls off."
    Spokesville, N1Nkasi and ChrisMyhre like this.
  11. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Aspirant (222) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

N1Nkasi and ChrisMyhre like this.
  12. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (290) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A few months ago I was grabbing a beer with a friend at Row 34 after work. Two guys by themselves starting talking to each other and playing the one-up game. At one point one dude claimed that Heady varies "from can to can within the same four-pack." I finished my beer and left.
    bruindre, bostonwolf and N1Nkasi like this.
  13. MenardMa

MenardMa Devotee (419) Feb 6, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

That stuff is definitely irritating. It's almost as if they don't think ANYTHING else could possibly have played into their experience of each beer they consume. Couldn't POSSIBLY have been that their taste has changed, or due to other things they have/have not eaten or drank that day or even right before/during drinking said beer, or the temperature of the beer, or the glass, or the tap line, or even their mood at the time.

Nope! Surely none of that plays a roll. The beer is overrated/inconsistent/not as good as it used to be/bad batch/whateverthefuckelse because their expertly trained palate says so.
    Justin42 and ErrandWolfe like this.
  14. ErrandWolfe

ErrandWolfe Initiate (160) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Beer Trader

Amen! I made a very similar argument on another message board, but got very little support on my side.

Justin42 likes this.
  15. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thanks. While I git you here care to divulge the hop profile? :slight_smile: I know Citra but I'm thinking Amarillo and maybe simcoe? Haha. Either way fantastic brew man.
  16. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Aspirant (206) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

After my first trip to Tree Houe on Friday, I got lucky and have been sick as a dog the last few days. Luckily my senses are back and Ive just had my first, real, proper tasting of Tree House Beers, Eureka w/ Citra and Julius , and all I can say is WOW. I am officially a fan! I will without a doubt be back there. Amazing stuff.
    atdunn9, jomobono and MenardMa like this.
  17. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (296) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

haha! good luck Skinny. Many emboldened men have tried.......all have failed.............
    skinny_mcginley, atdunn9 and jomobono like this.
  18. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Aspirant (266) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Nothing on the On Tap page. I finally have an excuse to drive through Monson after not being there for a year. Hopefully they will have some liquid gold for sale this week.
  19. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (295) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Ya know what changes most frequently from can to can in the same batch? Your tongue.
    HeyHayward likes this.
  20. bobbypaulson

bobbypaulson Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2010 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

been clicking refresh all morning!!!!!!

new on tap list

(American IPA - 6.8% ABV) - Bursting with pungent American hops, Julius, our American IPA, is a bright, tropical beer filled with flavors and aromas of mango, peach, passionfruit, and a melange of citrus. A soft, pillowy mouthfeel and rounded bitterness makes Julius very, very easy to drink. You've been warned! (750 ML - $8 | 2L - $16) * Limit 2 total bottles w/up to 1 2L *

ALTER EGO(Single IPA - 6.8%) - A beer brewed in the spirit of experimentation and the celebration of our 3rd anniversary… ! What we did here is we took a whole bunch of Mosaic and Amarillo hops, a classic punch of citrus purveying goodness, and added them to the Julius dry hop. The base beer is exactly the same, but the dry hop is altered tremendously. The result is a beer with all the deliciousness of the base beer with a layer of added citrusy complexity. Like devil Julius or something. A real treat! (750 ML - $8 | 2L - $16) * Limit 2 total bottles w/up to 1 2L *

VERY GREEN (Double IPA - 8.3% ABV) - This classic Tree House Double IPA is created with a massive kettle charge of Australian and American hops. It opens in the glass with huge notes of ripe pineapple, pithy citrus, and dank saturated hops. As it warms it shows its depth and complexity. . . Sweet bits of malt intermingle with straight Tropicana. It has a soft but pointed bitterness and a rich, velvety mouth feel. Like Green, but… MORE! (750 ML - $10) * Limit 2 750 ML *

DOUBLE SHOT - 3rd Anniversary Blend(American Stout - 8.2% ABV) - In the year since it was born, Double Shot has earned a reputation around the brewery as one of our proudest accomplishments. We have learned a ton about the base beer and how it interacts with our favorite coffees. The 3rd Anniversary Blend is a culmination of those efforts! We brewed a bigger base beer than ever to support the addition of Guatemala Finca El Injerto, Hair Bender, and Sumatra Mandheling. The result is a rich and complex coffee beer with flavors and aromas of chocolate covered espresso beans, molasses, and brown sugar cookies… Absolutely wonderful! (750 ML - $10 | 2L - $20) * Limit 2 total bottles w/up to 1 2L *
  21. darkandhoppy

buking21 likes this.
  22. interman

interman Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2010 Norway

Well I sure hope there's gonna be some good stuff left in July when I fly over for my first trip there. Possibly a stupid question, but as far as transportation from Boston goes, is taking a bus from Boston to Worcester and an Uber from there to Tree House, an Uber back to Worcester, more drinking at Armsby and bus back to Boston a reasonable plan? Other alternatives to Uber?
    dianimal likes this.
  23. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (167) Dec 13, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I'd imagine it'd be pricy to do and your Uber driver might think you're planning to kill him (TH is surrounded by farms & trees), but I've heard far more unreasonable plans.
    interman likes this.
  24. darkandhoppy

When in July? Hell, depending on the date, I'd be up for a drive to Worcester, get you over to tree house, then back to the armsby for food & more drinks. I love all of those things
    dianimal, Ken_P and Short-Pour like this.
  25. interman

Sweet. I'm flying over on the 14th and will go almost immediately to Vermont for the beer fest, HF, Fiddlehead, ++, but planning to be in beer travel mode back in Boston by the 22nd, and flying back on the 25h. I guess it's open on the 23rd and 24th, so either of those dates are great for me.
    ChrisMyhre likes this.
  26. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Disciple (368) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Hope some of that tap list makes it to Friday!

Perfect!!! Just in time for my visit. Hope this sticks!
  27. zman_

zman_ Initiate (152) Mar 20, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If I am around, I might also be able to get you from Worcester to Tree House. I am always down for a trip out to the brewery. Also, not sure what the prices/times for buses from Boston to Worcester look like, but I generally take the commuter rail, its only $10.50 I think and takes 1.5hrs (not the fastest, but cheap)
  28. darkandhoppy

The 23rd is a def possibility for me. I can't do the 24th tho
  29. Emmige1

Beer Trader

Anyone have experience drinking a J-Growler after about 2 weeks? I've never kept it past one, but trying to save it for July Fourth Weekend.
  30. jamvt

jamvt Disciple (389) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I recently kept Julius and Sap swing-top 750's for about 3 weeks and the carb, aroma, and flavor were flawless.
    dianimal and bostonwolf like this.
  31. Emmige1

Beer Trader

Thanks man
  32. Short-Pour

Short-Pour Initiate (0) May 29, 2015 Connecticut

I had a Julius 750ML growler since mid May. Opened it last night and did a side by side with a can of Julius purchased on Saturday. Not much of a difference if any at all IMO
  33. GamehendgeBrewingCo

GamehendgeBrewingCo Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It would be much cheaper to rent a car in Boston and drive straight thru to TH. The drive from Worcester to Monson is around 30 minutes.

Edit: 45 minutes and 35 miles.
    dianimal and BAMF like this.
  34. bostonwolf

Beer Trader

I've sat down with a four-pack of HT and started drinking. I stopped after the second one. The hop resin was getting more and more overpowering. Kind of like when you eat a properly spiced "spicy" dish at an Indian or Mexican place. The first bite should be nice, and the heat should build every bite thereafter.
  35. interman

Awesome! I'll be in touch when it gets closer

I'll keep that in mind too, thanks!
  36. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Disciple (306) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I'm torn with whether to go Thursday or Friday. Friday's cans would be nice but the current tap list is pretty epic.
    Any ideas what tomorrow's crowd will be like at opening?
    HeyHayward likes this.
  37. bostonwolf

Beer Trader

Very happy to hear this. I'm heading out tomorrow for the first time and will likely grab a 2 liter of Julius

It's my first trip out, what time should I get out there? Might leave at 2pm or so to get there ahead of traffic.
  38. ppoitras

ppoitras Poo-Bah (3,725) Jan 15, 2004 Massachusetts

The edit is right on, I commute Brimfield <--> Worcester each day, takes me 35min. 10min to TH from home. Cheers!
  39. darkandhoppy

Tomorrow will be insane
    BGsWo22 likes this.
  40. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Disciple (368) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

From all I've read on BA, Thursday's are busier than Friday. Add in the post anniversary celebration and it could be busy. I'm hoping Friday will be a bit lighter because of people heading up to Maine early for Dinner. Hopeful but ready to spend a few hours at the brewery, especially if they have some of the beer's left for growler fills (Julius, Very Green, etc.)!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.