Tree House Brewing Company (June 2016)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by NiceBeerCans, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

New monthly Tree House thread.

Always check out the following link to see what is available for sale, starting on Wednesday. Cans and Tree House growlers are sold and filled at the brewery only. Must be Tree House growlers per MA law. There are bottle releases randomly (i.e. Double Shot bottles) but bottles are infrequent.

http://treehousebrew.com/on-tap/

Yes, limits are enforced and subject to change at the brewery's discretion. Only one time through the line, per day, and absolutely no drinking in the line or on the property. Also, don't speed through the neighborhood and don't park on the neighbor's property for any reason. Do not walk behind the brewery , block the driveway, or block the entrance doorway, which serves as the exit too. They have parking lots where you are suppose to park.

CURRENT REGULAR HOURS: Wednesday from 12-6 PM for Can Sales Only. Growlers & Can sales Thurs. & Fri 5-8 PM & Saturday Growlers & Can sales from 11 AM - 6 PM.

THREE TOTAL GROWLERS on Thurs, Fri, and Sat HAS BEEN THE NORM LATELY. DURING SLOWER TIMES 4-5 PP MAY BE OFFERED!

FOLLOW @treehousebrewco on Twitter for real time updates

@DigitalNate
    has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

FAQ (work in progress)

There isn't a tap room where you can drink. All beer sold to-go. Beer swag is sold at brewery.

BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge (east of Tree House) and is BYOB and serves up some tasty meat stuffs.

Asking the thread what is being released before Tree House announces it is pointless. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Wednesday is a can only release day. Usually two different cans, one announced on Tuesday and second can announced on Wednesday. There is usually no need to arrive early on Wednesday to get your cans.

What isn't sold out on the previous day is sold the following open day. People come early, the lines can get long, but the staff is very efficient and the line moves relatively quickly considering the number of people/growlers filled. The staff is very nice and Lauren always has a smile on her face! :slight_smile:

Additional comments (with some edits) are listed below. The hope is that people will read them and not have to ask the same questions over and over. There are no stupid questions but in reality the BA site has a effective search function and the below will answer most of the repeated questions. We'll see this month if it makes a noticeable difference.

submitted by @BucketsB

Is there a bottle shop nearby? Go to Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, it's basically next to BT's.

Those are both 20 minutes away? Yes, Monson is not near things. Nearby is a relative term.

What is a line? If you're there before opening, they'll hand out and a few minutes later collect growler slips which are the small pieces of paper from the Tree House official FAQ you didn't read. If you don't see them, ask someone in front of you or someone that works there about growler slips. Fill it out and give it to a staff member. Your paper waits in the growler line, you as a human wait in the can line.

I want great selection and no line, when can I go? Pick one. Go early in the day when there will be better selection and more lines or go later when lines will be shorter but you risk something running out.

submitted by @agreenman19
    • Wednesday is usually 10-12 cans, two different beers, no growlers, good for beer all day (although this is not guaranteed anymore). Typically staple beers.
    • Thursday may have a small amount of unsold Wed cans with a new 6-8 pp can release.
    • Friday may have a small amount of leftover Thurs cans with a new 6-8 pp can release.
    • Saturday is unpredictable and may have cans in the morning or might not. Beer has been selling out around 3pm lately.
    • All of this is dependent on releases. Popular beers means increased chance of selling out and decreased chance of leftover cans.
    • Big IIPAs and other such releases may have a smaller yield and be limited to only 3-4 cans pp -- and expect long lines!
    • Parking is in three locations: main lot, upper lot, and the way back lot -- follow the guy with the red sticks on busy days.
    • Drive slowly on Munn/East Hill Road (can't repeat this often enough!)
    • Don't park on other people's lawns
    • The can line and growler "line" are the same thing. Staff will come out with numbered growlers slips and then retrieve them from you if you wish to fill growlers.

submitted by @RuckIt

Q: I'll be visiting in two months - any guess if I'll get Julius/Haze/etc...?
    A: Nope. Nate has said that his brew schedule is pretty much whatever he feels like brewing on a given day. With very few exceptions, beers aren't known by the general public until they're posted on Twitter.

Q: When are they going to release Good Morning / King Julius / Juice Machine / IPA-Whale"X" next?
    A: Special releases are posted (Twitter & Website) at time of packaging, or sometimes not at all depending on demand, line prior to open, etc...

Q: Do they ever lower limits due to larger than expected crowds?
    A: They usually never lower can limits after opening (recent exception for Green/Alter Ego), however limits posted on the website have been adjusted prior to opening.

FINALLY:

The Tree House 4th Anniversary Party is June 25th. Tickets sold out very quickly. There is another thread, http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/tree-houses-4th-anniversary-party.422232/, devoted to this party. Please do not complain about the tickets on this June thread. That was so last month! :stuck_out_tongue:

fredmugs, Saluki-21, Mikecap and 7 others like this.
  2. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Looks good

3. jomobono

There is an express train that runs from Boston to Worcester now and I have seen a person Uber from Worcester to Tree House, about a 45 min ride.

kliend likes this.
  4. NEB_beer

NEB_beer Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2016 Massachusetts

New month, new thread, thank god!!!

VincentChase likes this.
  5. atakith

atakith Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Connecticut

No ticket :indiana jones voice: thrown from Zeppelin

6. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

I was just watching a video review and someone said that Juice Machine and Bright were Curiosity beers. Does anyone know which curiosity beers they were?

7. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (253) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

Yeah but I heard finding Uber driver in Monson is hard, would it be possible?

8. HeyLady

If you go later in the night when you dont have to wait too long maybe the driver can wait for you. Im sure the driver will not have an easy time finding a rider back either so it would be a win win for both of you.

kliend likes this.
  9. VincentChase

VincentChase Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I know the first time I had Bright it reminded me of Curiosity 20 big time. I'm not sure if it's the exact recipe but if my memory serves me it was damn close.

10. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Jow was incorrect. From Twitter:

@TreeHouseBrewCo @treehousenate has a curiosity brew ever been released a second time or rebranded as a permanent fixture?

@Sam84ThePAc @treehousenate no, but various threads have served to improve our regular offerings and further enhance our knowledge.

11. HeyLady

ahh, thanks. Going back and reading the description of Curiosity 20 I thought @VincentChase nailed it. The description is almost identical to Bright.

12. jomobono

Have the uber driver wait and bring you back. The uber driver can go back and make no money or wait for you and charge you for the ride home.

bostonwolf likes this.
  13. nerdboy19

Trader

Damn then I should look for BA uber driver, will be great if I can talk about beer and wait in line together :slight_smile: thanks for the info though

14. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,035) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

How big of a pull might Sap have on the crowd this week?

15. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana

Anything like the last two weeks, who really knows!

16. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

I don't think it will bump the normal traffic. But Wednesdays have been crazy lately. But there was a curiosity and then Memorial Day which probably added a few folks.

Sabtos likes this.
  17. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Love the early announcement of the second can this morning. Would not have noticed except for @Sabtos post. SAP - 6 cans per person limit and Alter Ego - 6 cans per person limit

#17 NiceBeerCans, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  18. VincentChase

VincentChase Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I agree with the sentiment that with the nice weather here all bets are off but it's easily one of the least popular IPAs they put out, as evidenced by the amount of it you see posted for trade and the amount that's leftover the following day. It's held a spot on Wednesdays pretty exclusively and often paired with another really popular beer for a reason I think. It has that familiar Treehouse base flavor but a little drier. It's kind of the opposite of some their juice bombs. It's worth trying if you haven't had it before but given the two huge releases two week ago ago and some holiday craziness last week it wouldn't surprise me in the least it were pretty mellow from 2pm til close.

musicsherlock and Sabtos like this.
  19. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts

Ideally, you would find a friendly Boston-based BAer who is going out there at the time and willing to give you a ride.

20. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

That's not a half bad idea... should do some sort of organized ride share for TH trips. Like, meet at Alewife or one of the Waltham Commuter Rail stops and carpool.

21. NEB_beer

I pulled into the parking lot last Wednesday (May 25) at 2:51 p.m., got my 12 cans and was back in my car driving off at 3:07 p.m. (yes, I timed it, for science). Wouldn't call that crazy by any means...

JGLittle likes this.
  22. nerdboy19

Trader

That sounds great, should look for a carpool before I visit Boston!

23. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Initiate (143) Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

Counter to that would be my visit on May 18th when I got there at 3.12 and left at 3.47.

24. ChrisV784

ChrisV784 Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2016 Massachusetts

Didn't get an exact time, but I just got back from the brewery a few minutes ago. Got there around 12:45 and was back to my car before 1:20. They really crank 'em through.

25. NEB_beer

35 minutes, though a bit of a wait, still isn't the hours and hours some people seem to think is common. If I remember correctly, there were way more people there on the 18th than the 25th, but a Curiosity release will do that (I only got Lights On and Haze).

26. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (354) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just left. In/out in less than 5min

skleice and NEB_beer like this.
  27. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut

Excellent first trip to TreeHouse. Got there10:45 about #20 in line ... Talked with a local guy named Johntil they openec. In and out in 5 minutes with my fill

DirtyDawg10 and bostonwolf like this.
  28. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

As someone who occasionally drives for Uber or Lyft, I'd pretty much insist on this. I'd bring you there, but I'm not going to sit there for free waiting to drive back. We'll leave the meter running (which I think is about $0.30-0.40/minute.)

From the Uber site the fare there is going to cost you about $40. Let's say you wait for an hour, that's another $25 or so, then $40 back to the Worcester Train Station.

I can't fathom how anyone would find that to be worth the money.

29. HeyLady

If you are from Korea and a big craft beer fan and may never get the opportunity again in life to visit Tree House I think it may be worth it.

Billy_Bars, Shyla987 and Sabtos like this.
  30. Fireman_RK

Fireman_RK Defender (642) Jul 2, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Random question, but does anybody know why the availability on In Perpetuity's beer profile recently was changed from "Limited (brewed once)" to "Rotating": http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28743/189696/

My sense based on a post by BAMF last month was that this was a one-off for Nate's/Lauren's first anniversary, but I'm hoping that this might mean someone has knowledge that it's going to be brewed again. Anybody have any info?

31. chewy527

chewy527 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Connecticut

Man, I sure hope they bring this back. One of the most beautiful beers I've ever had.

32. HeyLady

How about the photo Nate posted this morning of the new fermenter, 1,000 barrels/~248K cans more a year

skleice likes this.
  33. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

I believe that works out to another 60bbl. I wonder how many they have now. Looks like limits were lowered on alter and sap to 3pp. Friday is looking good now, they might be expecting a big turnout today

34. musicsherlock

musicsherlock Disciple (325) Jan 2, 2012 New York

Went yesterday specifically for the SAP...great stuff

35. atakith

atakith Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Connecticut

Cant go to treehouse this week. Been sucking on trees for the past 48 hrs.....not the same as SAP. Just notes of dirt and bird turds.

Billy_Bars and Evmo31 like this.
  36. Ianrem7

Ianrem7 Initiate (23) Feb 14, 2016 Connecticut

Uh oh, good catch. Could be a doozy today. Good luck to all. I hope you're right about Friday, I'm just afraid a big release will drain everything and create a massive Friday crowd as well.

37. ChrisV784

ChrisV784 Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2016 Massachusetts

Heading up again today. Not sure what to expect. I'm working till 5 and won't get up there until 6. I'm nervous. Haha

38. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Disappointing lack of baseless speculation for this late of a Thursday announcement

Ianrem7 likes this.
  39. pisano

pisano Zealot (555) Sep 18, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I believe I read on twitter they were considering pushing the next two canning runs to Fri/Sat. Might have something to do with it, if true.

40. Ianrem7

Ianrem7 Initiate (23) Feb 14, 2016 Connecticut

pisano and Nhens0016 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.