Tree House Brewing Company (June 2016)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by NiceBeerCans, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (82) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Seems strange to not acknowledge that the biggest factor in chilling Alchemist's hype, especially in regards to trading, is that theres now a bunch of breweries that are making beers at the same level, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

2. HOP-E-DAYZ

HOP-E-DAYZ Initiate (0) May 11, 2014 Connecticut

People seem to forget it's very nice weather! Gonna make lines worse.most people don't mind waiting in the sunny weather.Plus the fact that Julius is reachin to non craft beer people.my wife's friend a wine only drinker.has been hounding me for a beer called Julius!! Go figure? She is over 2hrs away from treehouse.and hates beer.but wants that juicy Julius everyone's talks about.Lol! Cheers

woodfinish likes this.
  3. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

I'm not sure Tree House is remote as you think it is:
    1 hour from greater Boston area
    45 minutes from greater Worcester area
    40 minutes from greater Springfield area
    Hour or less from greater Hartford area
    Hour and 30 or less from greater New Haven area
    Three hours from greater NYC area
    Hour and 45 from the Capital region

That is A LOT of people.

mschofield, ke_long, kliend and 3 others like this.
  4. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Very true -- I was in line about a month ago and there were several out of towners (I think PA/OH/NJ) that had driven to Tree House and had never heard of Trillium.

mschofield and kliend like this.
  5. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

Cans ship a lot easier than bottles...

ajcuster89, eb1610 and Jbrews like this.
  6. purephase

purephase Initiate (171) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

But I took @Jbrews point to be that quality isn't the only driving factor behind the hype, and indeed a comparatively lower supply (or perceived lower supply) can sometimes help further fuel that hype and high demand. When Trillium was still limited to the Fort Point location near the end of last year, I would say there was comparable country-wide hype for stuff like Upper Case and Artaic at least. Now they're brewing at such a capacity that those beers last for days and the trades have cooled off too. The same applies to Hill hops pre- and post-expansion as well, especially in the days when the number of growler fills a person could get was less than "as many as you want."

Guzzle_McBrew likes this.
  7. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (347) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Well said sir

8. Jbrews

Compared to being in Metro Boston (Even Metro-West, where I grew up) It's the sticks

AirBob likes this.
  9. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Boston might have more going on, but it is not as accessible by surrounding areas. Not to mention that it is a pain in the ass to navigate and has terrible traffic. Canton is a bit better because it relieves many of the traffic issues, but it is still pretty out of the way for most. I'm also not a fan of the Trillium format and prices. However, I cannot argue about the ease of getting a great quantity and variety of beers. My visit to Canton last week could not have been easier. I dream of the days when I can go to Charlton and say "Give me 6 Green, 6 Haze, 6 Julius, some Single Shot, and some Sap" (here's hoping).

colby600 and HeyLady like this.
  10. Jbrews

The only folks Canton is out of the way of would be north of Boston. Aside from that there are so many ways to get there outside of 95/128. Trillium will eventually be canning and that will really change the game. The format is not ideal right now as you pointed out.

11. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (168) Oct 23, 2015 New York

Tree House isn't remote at all. From where I live on the UWS, it can take me only 2.5 hours to get there which is really not that bad.

12. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (354) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

So back to the beer...how's the line today?

13. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Can't imagine it's too mad, what with only one canned beer and very little available in growlers.

F2brewers likes this.
  14. SiddFinch

SiddFinch Initiate (147) Dec 18, 2013 New Hampshire
    Trader

Native One again today. 1pp. Didn't say how many available.

skleice likes this.
  15. chewy527

chewy527 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Connecticut

If Tree House priced the same as Trillium (Nate -- please don't!), I don't think you'd see the crowds you do today.

Haze is about 27 cents an ounce. Trillium DIPAs are about 48 cents an ounce. That's an easy choice !

darkandhoppy, skleice and kliend like this.
  16. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hype among traders, perhaps. But the fact that Heady doesn't last through delivery day up in VT still lends itself to the theory that the hype among regular craft drinkers is still strong. Heady still carries weight with the vast majority of the craft beer drinking population, as will Julius and other TH beers for the foreseeable future - even if/when the bubble bursts.

kliend likes this.
  17. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (637) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Sorry for the continued derailing, but for myself the change in demand is not just going from lower to greater supply. If the supply is raised substantially without a corresponding decrease in unit pricing, I tend to lose some interest. Easy for me to support an up and coming brewery with inconvenient packaging and higher prices, with the understanding that eventually the model will transition in the future.

For example I visited Tree House around 8 times plus/minus the calendar year after moving across the street vs. maybe 3 times the previous calendar year. More convenient packaging + lower prices = I don't care if the "rarity" goes up or down, I'm getting more damn beer!

18. Dr_Fancy_Pants

Dr_Fancy_Pants Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 District of Columbia

I am driving through to a family reunion next Friday night. Should get there around 5 PM, maybe 4:45 if I push it. How long will the line be? should I even bother? Hoping to score cans and growlers.

Thanks.

19. Gunboat82

Gunboat82 Initiate (149) Jul 3, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am but one man with unrefined taste buds, but I'm not sure I agree with this. I stopped buying Trillium because once I tried Tree House, I couldn't justify paying a super premium just to get Tree House Lite a pretty bottle. In fact, Tree House and Trillium should probably switch price points. If they just switched places, you'd need full-time traffic cops in Fort Point and Canton. Meanwhile, far away from the urban sprawl, on an idyllic country road in Monson, you'd find a quiet farm where lawyers and investment bankers slowly trickle in to grab dusty bottles before their next "client meeting" on the golf course.

HeyHayward likes this.
  20. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

Growlers 1-1.5 hours, could be a little longer depending on what is pouring. The line will be easily over 100 people at open. Cans could be less than 30 minutes. Worth a stop if you have never been, its impossible to predict because there are way to many variables, but if you have a hour to kill, then make the stop and decide if you have time for growlers or just cans. The line moves very fast.

21. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,103) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Pavlov's dog.

Sneaky :wink:

We were there and were quite successful (thankfully) Saturday. It was our first time and a really great experience. We arrived quite early, before 8AM and were will still second in line, but good thing because the first guy gave us some pointers. We didn't mind the wait since we were road tripping over night anyway to make it to Boston at a reasonable hour.

Anyway, I wonder if the Native One bottles were on premises, but not being offered since 3 other brews were available. Seems like things were really tight this week for whatever reason, so I guess in a way Native One was a great make-up for the early birds.

22. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

I was there Saturday and got two growlers of Doppleganger and overheard one of the guys saying they'd just put on the last sixtel.

23. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

I think some of you guys think cost matters far, far more than it really does.

jhavs and AirBob like this.
  24. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,103) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Right. Plus DDH Congress is still my fave of all I've had of both so far. Aside from that one, so far I've only had Julius, C25, Alter Ego, Doppelganger, Bear, and Dialed In. Not a wide selection but very happy to have had so many in such a short period during this beercation I'm still on, although I'm not where near either place anymore. It's been fun and all the beers have been great, esp. TH and Trill.

25. Dr_Fancy_Pants

Dr_Fancy_Pants Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 District of Columbia

Thanks. I have been a few times, but usually always thanksgiving weekend, wasn't sure what a standard night would look like. My cousin is coming with and he has never been. Heading to Charlestown, RI after we are done so it might be tight.

26. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (82) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

What makes you say that? Price/format is usually the number one (often only) complaint I hear about Trillium, especially when the comparison is being made to TH, and has definitely impacted my beer buying decisions over the past year.

27. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

That and Trillium had quite a few issues early on at the Canton facility. I personally purchased at least $200 worth of bottles that ranged from undrinkable (the first Launch batch should not have been sold, giant diacetyl problem) to hit and miss. They seem to have gotten a hang of things recently but that format & all those quality issues soured my interest in Trillium. I was a regular Trill/TH visitor for almost two years previously.

What has always made TH so impressive to me is @DigitalNate's very obvious dedication to quality. Despite the expansions and integration of new equipment I've never had a Tree House beer that wasn't exceptional.

28. jett

jett Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 California

I'm from out of state... CA. Currently in CT for work and have driven far for some awesome brews but my two favorite are Tree House and Trillium... TH are in the bag for drinking buddies back home... :-)

29. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Damn them and their growing pains!

30. seanwhite

seanwhite Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2008 Massachusetts

I don't understand the location comment. Are you saying that Tree house being in a rural setting is helping them sell more beer? As opposed to Trillium being in Boston and 20 minutes from Boston, limiting the amount of enthusiasm/customers?

That seems backwards to me. Usually a city/metro location would help success, not hinder. I would say Tree House is having its success due to the product and not location. But maybe you are right. Maybe it is the rural destination impacting it.

31. Jbrews

The destination and rural part adds to the lure and "cool" element driving peoples interest. Hill Farmsteads remote aspect had this same affect a few years back as do other places. People are drawn to the unknown, it's natural. It's easier to brag to your beer enthusiasts that you drove all the way out to TreeHouse, rather then hop on 95 to Canton.

#231 Jbrews, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    woodfinish and Sweatshirt like this.
  32. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (168) Oct 23, 2015 New York

I am 100% sure that Other Half's NYC location has helped their success much more than being in rural Western NJ would have.

HeyLady likes this.
  33. Jbrews

I can't argue this any further. This is becoming repetitive, time to move on.

seanwhite likes this.
  34. celfan

celfan Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont

Hill Farmstead's original building also had the odd appeal of looking like a buddy's garage covered with Tyvek. I don't know why, but I found that cool.

woodfinish likes this.
  35. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts

Yes Monson is that rural. Sure not compared to the NEK but compared to most of Southern New England / Massachusetts. Boston population density = 13,841/sq mi (urban), Framingham population density = 2,581 (suburban), Mass average population density = 840/sq mi, Monson population density = 193/sq mi (rural).

Is it that secluded? No. But it is very rural.

Fun fact, the town my in-laws live in, about 40 min North of Monson has only 88/sq mi, and nearby New Braintree has only 48! (Less than Greensboro Bend which is 100/sq mi)

chinabeergeek likes this.
  36. jimmyfausto

jimmyfausto Initiate (35) Jul 28, 2014 Massachusetts

To expand on the point JBrews was making, I think when people first hear about TH, that they only sell exclusively out of the brewery in a town most people have no other use in visiting, that's usually a considerable drive, that drives up the hype. I went to the place across the street revved up on similar hype with a friend my first time.

It is a "well if people are driving so far to get there and waiting in line, it must be awesome!" mentality. That kind of hype naturally comes down with accessibility in bars and/or liquor stores.

The "middle-of-nowhere" location definitely factors into the hype for a certain sect of people. It's one thing waiting in line for beer when it isn't too far out of the way and doesn't take up so much of your day, it's another when you're planning an entire day out of it.

37. Jbrews

haha I actually kind of understand that. But man was that operation small

38. Jbrews

My wife is originally from towards the area, when we visit we both agree there is just nothing out there. I also went to UMASS and lived in the area. It's the sticks, and we both agree on that. A nice area though.

But hey, where we work and own on the Seacoast is called the stix to many. So go figure

39. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts

I love it out there. Just chill. In the winter they have the wood burning stove going, the dogs love running in the yard/brook/woods, it's just a very different pace of life.

40. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (2,054) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

How does beer age in a keg?

I know if I brewed a beer I was really proud of, I would not want to let it sit for 3 weeks and have on display at a giant party celebrating the success of 4 years of brewing fresh and delicious beer.

Tree House beers change a lot in the can and growler even after a week or two, so I'm wondering about the science and logistics of the anniversary party and the numerous beers that will be on tap.

Stouts I can understand, but IPAs? Do beers simply not age in a keg? Do they only age if the keg's been tapped? I see places around CT still tapping Double Fuzzy Baby Ducks, even though it was brewed months ago.

jtodeasa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.