Tree House Brewing Company (March 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atakith

atakith Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Connecticut

Lights on is up for growlers and cans

bostonwolf likes this.
  2. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

I've gotten the green onion thing on a Trillium DIPA opened the day after bottling. And even green onion is a little harsh...Id say "too plants". But never on TH stuff. I do find that I enjoy TH after 5-10 days vs day of, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Definitely not green onion.

3. atakith

Has anyone tried Lights on? Hoping to head up tomorrow

4. ctbeerguy86

ctbeerguy86 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2015 Connecticut

Lights On is awesome, its like a lighter version of a TH IPA. Less hops, less alcohol, easier to drink like 6 at a time. I actually get excited when I see pale ales, they are quite delicious and a welcome variation.

5. atakith

Sounds like a nice change of pace. Haze cans have me in a coma recently.

6. Hophead717

Hophead717 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts

atakith likes this.
  7. atakith

8. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (1,927) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I have never really been one to drink a lot of a single type of beer until Tree House. I used to love mix-a-six's and would very rarely buy an entire 6-pk of something.

Of course, that changed with Tree House and it is pretty much all I drink these days. Something I've noticed is how drastic the variations in my palate are. Some days, a beer tastes absolutely amazing, and others it's just ok. Gotta be in the right mood, take into account anything you've eaten/drank throughout the day, temperature, thirst-level, comfort-level, tiredness, I could go on and on.

Point is, my beering experience seems to change to some degree every time I drink a beer. So maybe something similar is happening with you guys who are getting green onions or crazy unusual flavors, especially if you went on a Thursday and only got a couple cans. Obviously the batch changes, but you also change every time you drink the beer. Usually a huge amount if you pair it with anything. Something to consider.

Hell, I paired a Green from 3/3 and mint chocolate chip ice cream last night and I thought it would be horrendous, but actually had a crazy unique sweetness to it. Would recommend!

Razrback5, ct8468, HeyHayward and 5 others like this.
  9. jonphisher

jonphisher Devotee (403) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Darn. I'll be there next week and was hoping for lights on then. Oh well.

10. The_Big_Devinsky

The_Big_Devinsky Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2015 Massachusetts

How "silent" are Tree House's silent releases? I'd guess no mention of them on their website or twitter, but would they just announce it in person at the brewery? Is it possible to go to the brewery on a silent release day and not know about it? Would the silent release beer be listed as on tap with the others behind the bar?

11. eb1610

eb1610 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts

When they come out to pass out cards they will announce whats available that day. Sometimes they post a little earlier on twitter and sometimes there are no mentions of it on their twitter or website.

You don't have to know some secret code or anything. If you're at the brewery, you will know whats available

12. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

I noticed the on tap page says 5 new beers for growler fills this week, so that means two options that are not canned, really hoping for another batch of double shot!

eb1610 likes this.
  13. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

The release schedule & only 3 canning runs would strongly suggest a batch of Double Shot. Now whether that DS will be of the GM variety is another question.

Evmo31 likes this.
  14. Evmo31

Based on my limited knowledge of maple syrup production, the brewing process for stouts, and considering nates comment about late season maple syrup, I think it might be a little early for GM, but i would love to be wrong!

15. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts

do you have a link to that comment, btw? thx

(EDIT: was it in this thread or a previous one?)

#535 chinabeergeek, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  16. Evmo31

Edit: in the archives on the treehouse website, the older description of good morning (recent description does not say late season) :
    GOOD MORNING - (Imperial Coffee Stout - 8.4%) - Brewed with Maxwell Road Maple’s darkest and most flavorful late season maple syrup

And this was posted on facebook by that supplier on march 3rd:

Mid season report: Incinsistant weather has made for sporadic flows. Sugar content of the sap is a bit lower too, just means you need to boil more sap. However, the syrup flavor is outstanding!! We are making a lot of dark strong flavor. Last nights hard freeze will help reset the trees, should be some good runs of sap over the next 4 days. You can't tell if it is a good season until it is over. We will have syrup filtered, bottled & available shortly.

#536 Evmo31, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    chinabeergeek and HeyHayward like this.
  17. ct8468

ct8468 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Connecticut

So true. I find what I've eaten/drank recently has a particularly big impact. A lot of salty and/or spicy foods really throws my palate out of whack. It's more prominent the closer I eat the foods to actually drinking the beer, but man, if I eat like half a bag of sunflower seeds, all that salt messes with my tongue for like 24+ hours.

agreenman19 likes this.
  18. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts

ah ok. just trying to clarify - so by the "comments by nate" you are only referring to the early descriptors of the beer which included the word "late season"? or were there also more recent comments from nate about upcoming batches?

19. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Connecticut

I like green onion flavor in my beer. Never experienced it with Tree House though. But like someone else said I've experienced it with fresh DDH Trillium beers. Not saying it should always be present. Just notice it and don't mind it when it's there.

HeyHayward likes this.
  20. ctbeerguy86

Great... now we are going to have "green onion" nazis every release... The beer that they produce is amazing, I have drank probably 100 different batches of various TH brews and not once have I had a "green onion" flavor. Only because this is exceptional beer are people looking for faults. Just drink it, now or later, it'll be good. If you don't like a batch, give it to me. I'll even garnish it with some green onion before I take a sip and it will still be better than anything at my package store.

bfitzge2, BAMF and HeyHayward like this.
  21. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (107) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Calm down. Beer and "nazis", lol.

lic217 likes this.
  22. bgreen425

bgreen425 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Minnesota

I'm feeling a Curiosity 25 release this week.....just a prediction.

23. VincentChase

VincentChase Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Not saying Treehouse would run their brewing schedule around an outside event but Armsby Abbey is doing their Stout weekend in a few weeks. Remember that Treehouse did do a 'tap takeover' type deal with them early last summer and I don't think ANYONE had Treehouse on draft at the time. Pretty sure I noticed Nate rocking an Armsby Abbey shirt recently too. Maybe they'd make some Good Morning for their pals for that breakfast!

24. Hophead21

Hophead21 Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Pennsylvania

Don't hate the player, hate the game

25. Hophead21

Good for you, I'm feeling fantastic on a variety of levels :slight_smile:

mschofield likes this.
  26. Hophead21

that many cans ran us somewhere in the neighborhood of $175. Growler fills are whats expensive especially since you must use their growlers thus must purchase new ones for your first fills then recycle from there. It's totally worth it in the end, great people up there and the beer speaks for itself.

jwwhitney likes this.
  27. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (470) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

The green onion isn't a "bad hops" issue, everybody perceives bitterness differently and for some, green onion can come from certain hop varietals.

I know I get it from too much Summit personally, specifically the old recipe of Oskar Blues Gubna was all summit and was a green onion bomb for me. Founders Triple Dancer is as well, but ive never looked into the hop bill.

Ive also found TH cans to have slightly rough bitter edges when they've been canned within 2-3 days, which i like on some (julius, haze) but not others (green, sap).

I gulp pales/eurekas immediately at BTs:slight_smile:

mschofield likes this.
  28. skleice

skleice Aspirant (274) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

we page is looking Eureka-ish Imo

29. genoint

genoint Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2015 Connecticut

Hoping for something with higher ABV than Eureka today. They seem to have that somewhat low ABV covered with Lights On so hoping for a DIPA. I can hope.

30. atakith

Refreshing their site, waiting to leave when they disclose this second can.

31. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

Is there a wait for cans on Wednesdays now or is it still pretty much in and out in ten minutes?

32. Hos

Hos Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2015 Massachusetts

Definitely not 10 minutes if you show up before 2:00 I'd say. Most I've waited between 12-2 though is about 25-30 minutes even with a really long line. 2-4:30 Waits are typically pretty short though. If your schedule permits I definitely show up after 2:00. Will always depend on what's available and what the limits are though.

33. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Julius 6pp for Wednesday.

34. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Hmmm website says 2 more canning runs. Mistake or have they added a run?

35. DigitalNate

DigitalNate Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 Massachusetts
    Brewery

I always forget to update... Sorry about that.

ke_long and jomobono like this.
  36. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Oh Dr. J, you are such a lovely fellow. Lights On/Julius is a great combo for anyone considering a trip to Monson today.

37. atakith

Almost there will update

38. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

I predict TreeHouse may release some beer this week.

39. ctbeerguy86

Don't be such a know it all. Do you work there? If not, keep your predictions to yourself :wink:

40. atakith

Huge line 100ish deep moving good though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.