Tree House Brewing Company (March 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TPIR

TPIR Initiate (143) Jan 29, 2017 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

That's not equipment, it's actually one of the new crowlers they plan on releasing. Bigger facility, bigger portion sizes.;)

JLK7299 likes this.
  2. bluetieman

bluetieman Initiate (137) Sep 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

How much were the cans of Haze and Lights on?

3. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,102) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Haze $4.30 and Lights On $3.30

bluetieman likes this.
  4. beardfacejesus

beardfacejesus Initiate (146) Apr 30, 2016 Massachusetts

Bright w/Citra canned today for tomorrow! I really enjoyed that variation, and I'm not a huge fan of regular Bright. Might check them out Thursday and grab a growler of Bright w/Citra along with whatever can they drop that day.

5. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (135) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

$4.05/can. Thought they usually charged $4.30 for a "double". Admittedly, 7.8% is borderline but they do categorize it as such.

6. HankSchrader

HankSchrader Initiate (110) Dec 20, 2016 Connecticut

mschofield, Trull, nolanz14 and 7 others like this.
  7. CanesHeatFins305

CanesHeatFins305 Initiate (153) Nov 25, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

About how often is Green released?

8. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (185) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

9. cboers

cboers Initiate (135) Mar 14, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hey guys, sorry if this is a repeat of a previous question or on a different thread. I'm flying in to Boston in June, is there any way to get to Tree House from Boston other than renting a car and making the 2 hour drive?

10. CanesHeatFins305

CanesHeatFins305 Initiate (153) Nov 25, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

11. skleice

skleice Aspirant (201) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Not unless u line up some kind of trading partner.

cboers likes this.
  12. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (149) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You could take the commuter rail as far west as it goes and uber from there? Not really feasible but if for some reason you couldn't rent a car it's theoretically possible.

cboers likes this.
  13. CADMixes

CADMixes Initiate (165) Feb 29, 2012 Massachusetts

TBC this is very unlikely to be practical in any sense; you are talking about a 40-45 minute drive from Worcester to Monson and then having your driver wait at Tree House for you. Depending on the day and time you could be in and out or end up in a long line and you'll have very little advance warning as to which one it is. Then you get to drive back to Worcester and wait until the late inbound commuter rail schedule aligns and you have a ride back to the city.

In summary--rent a car, set up a trade, or find someone who's planning on driving out that day and is willing to let a fellow BA tag along; please don't try this.

14. beardfacejesus

Haze cans today, to go along with the Bright w/Citra from yesterday...very solid can offering! At the very least I know I'll be able to get both in growlers tomorrow, but I'm still going to hold out hope that they don't completely sell out today.

mschofield likes this.
  15. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,434) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Well there's the answer to a commonly asked question

“By Saturday, there is no beer left to put on a truck and bring somewhere. We brew 340 barrels of beer a week, and we sell every single drop of it every single week.”

17,680 barrels a year assuming they take no weeks off, or don't brew any extra some weeks.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  16. ZSharp

ZSharp Initiate (134) Sep 4, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

What time have they been opening doors on Wednesday lately?

17. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (178) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm assuming by barrel, they mean 15.5 gallon barrels? That would equate to roughly 1,600 cases per week of 16oz cans, allowing for some spillage. Does that make sense in terms of quantity? Or, are they full barrels and they are selling >3,000/ cases week?

EDIT: Just answered my own question, they tap out at 13,000 barrels...capacity-wise.

#297 SpauldingSmails, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  18. bla211

bla211 Initiate (164) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

1 bbl is approximately 31 gallons

19. Phishagonia

Phishagonia Disciple (308) Jan 28, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber

pdy90727 likes this.
  20. beardfacejesus

21. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (182) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

@BeerTraveler33

It's his awesome spreadsheet.

beardfacejesus likes this.
  22. schambach

schambach Initiate (139) Nov 19, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Haven't been in a while, planning a trip up on Friday. What's the story with growlers these days? From what I can tell it's basically two per person, depending upon what they have. Is this the case? Any reason to bring more?

23. nolanz14

nolanz14 Disciple (383) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I drove out yesterday and was shocked to not be directed to park across the street and then to see no line at all around 1:45. I was in and out with my cans in under a minute and when I was leaving a small line had formed. Thank god because it was cold and windy out at the time. Also stopped in BT' Smokehouse and had a Bright w Citra and possibly the best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had. A must stop.

jlordi12, pdy90727 and skleice like this.
  24. beardfacejesus

Not really, especially on Friday. I guess it couldn't hurt to toss a 3rd in the car just in case, but it's been a little while since you were able to get 3 per person.

schambach likes this.
  25. dubdrop

dubdrop Devotee (451) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

haven't gone for fills in a while, but i had no idea it was down to 2pp. Didn't it used to be 5+? I have so many TH 750s at this point...hope i'll get to use them all at once sometime in the future.

schambach and pdy90727 like this.
  26. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (185) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah, things have gotten a little wild over the past year... I'm sure when Charlton opens you'll be able to fill more

27. beardfacejesus

Yep, it was 5 a while back, then it dipped to 3, and then it dropped again to 2 semi-recently. As of late, I can't remember seeing more than 2 beers on tap all that many times. I love going on Thursdays because I can get growlers of what I missed on Wednesdays, plus the newly canned stuff from that day...

28. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (80) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I actually went for the first time in over a year last friday with three growlers in hand...got there around 6 and they only had green on for fills, 1pp! By the time my number came up it was kicked. At the same time, I got a full can allotment. I was expecting the exact opposite.

Seems like they're canning a lot more beer than kegging to get it out the door faster.

29. beardfacejesus

I think the low growler limit is encouraging more people to get them, since it's so much quicker to get people through the line when they can only get 2 per person. I remember times of getting there not all that long after doors opened, and still waiting an hour or more to get my growlers. The way it is now, I barely have time to run the cans to the car before I'm waiting to hear my name called. I love it.

30. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (137) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

Unfortunately no. Gotta hitch a ride with someone or rent a car.

cboers likes this.
  31. cboers

Beer Trader

First off, thanks everybody for your input. I've already talked myself into renting a car for a day and making the trek. One last question. Are the lines at open shorter on Friday vs Saturday? Trying to make this as easy as possible, but who am I kidding? I'm gonna wait regardless.

32. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Poo-Bah (3,005) Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Question for the regulars. What are the lines typically like on Thursdays? How long would they be say at 3:00 or 3:30? Or more specifically, if you arrived at 3:30 how long before you'd be cashed out with your growlers/cans on a typical Thursday?

Trying to figure out how likely it is to cash out at TH and still make it to Canton before Trillium closes at 7:30...

(not really possible to arrive much before 3:00)

Edit: in case it matters, I should say that I will be there on Thursday April 6)

33. pdy90727

pdy90727 Initiate (49) Sep 10, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Canton is what, 90 minutes away? Closer than that? You'd be totally fine getting there at 3-3:30. Probably would be in and out in well under an hour, although I haven't been on a Thursday in a while.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  34. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Poo-Bah (3,005) Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I guess the unknown is how long I would be waiting in line if I arrive at 3:00...

Edit: and yes it is 90 minutes away although likely dealing with some Boston traffic at that time too.

Also Thanks :)

35. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (149) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It would depend if you were going for cans only or growlers as well, but either way I think you'd be fine. Even if you allot 2 hours from Monson to Canton during rush hour, there's no way if you get there at 3 that you wouldn't be leaving by 5:30.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  36. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,102) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Very Hazy 2pp today according to the line update facebook page....

37. beardfacejesus

Cans of Very Hazy!!!

38. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (167) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you can, I would recommend going Friday. While they have been making an effort to have cans available on Saturday it is by no means a guarantee. 1-2 beers are generally canned Friday, whereas there is no canning on Saturdays.

CADMixes and cboers like this.
  39. Jewrican23

Jewrican23 Initiate (132) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Will very hazy last until tomorrow? Very green lasted until the next day last week

40. cboers

Beer Trader

Thank you very much!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe