Tree House Brewing Company (May 2016)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by NiceBeerCans, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (91) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut

I am grateful to live within driving distance of one of the greatest breweries in the U.S. I will tilt my cans and growlers to get every last drop of whichever precious liquid these guys have brewed into my glass. People who complain about "watered down" TH beers have absolutely no idea what it takes to get a 5.5% or 4.3% abv brew PACKED with flavor and texture.

In short, f*ck this guy.

2. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (133) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Yes. He's not a troll, he's an example of the worst of this (collective, not BA) community. Brew more beer! And the specific beer I want! And make it available according to my schedule. I love your beer, but you suck because I can't get what I want when I exactly want it. lol

But, he is the minority. The community as a whole - for TH or others - is still fantastic. I have to stop myself sometimes from using the worst as a benchmark for the whole. Good reminder here.

Minipork and BAMF like this.
  3. crow121

crow121 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland

No doubt it's been asked before, but how long have you let growlers sit? Flip top and 64oz? Thanks

4. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 New York

MikeFro is pretty clearly a parody / not-at-all-serious account.

5. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (354) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't fill 2L but my experience with 750ml are below.

750ml filled with IPAs: 4 weeks max
    750ml filled with stouts: 6 or so months

6. crow121

You tape the tops?

7. eb1610

Trader

I do not. The IPAs go from cooler to fridge and the stouts go into a box and are kept at cellar temp

8. crow121

Thanks for the tip

9. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Be careful doing this. First trip to Tree House (and very infrequent growler buyer before that) I went with my wife and got six growlers, including a 2L of Double Shot. Got home and was too lazy to clear out fridge space so we left it on the counter overnight for the next day. We woke up to 2L of Double Shot on the counter and kitchen floor because the bottom had blown out.

I realize room temp isn't cellar temp and the 750s seem stronger than 2L, but growlers are usually cold for good reason.

10. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (545) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

The bottom blew out? I've never heard of that happening because a beer sat at room temp

11. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

I think for a 2L that could easily happen if you cap it with almost no head space and the seal doesn't leak. You also don't know if the growler has a small defect.

12. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Yes. It was unattended for several hours so any number of supernatural forces could have acted on it unbeknownst to me in that time, but Googling the next day led me to believe it was allowing to to reach room temperature.

I don't think it's common, but the Brewers Association has something on growler safety that specifically warns against room temperature: http://www.draughtquality.org/wp-content/uploads/The-Facts-About-Growlers-v1.pdf -- so it's not unheard of.

13. colby600

colby600 Crusader (797) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I left a ice cold 12oz Sam in a closed cooler without ice and it exploded in the middle of the night as it warmed, sending glass out of the cooler and setting off my house (glass break) alarm. Scared the crap out of me and still puzzles me as to why.

14. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (91) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut

Thanks Jay!

15. skleice

skleice Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Looks awesome! Gonna try my best to snag some tickets this year.

There is a typo FYI - 5/28 is a Saturday

16. robo55

robo55 Initiate (64) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Also, I assume it's June 25, 2016 not 2015. :slight_smile:

17. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (545) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Wow. Good to know! We will be stronger as beer nerds from this terrible tragedy

18. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

375 tickets. What could go wrong, should be a piece of cake....

Rysk22 likes this.
  19. eb1610

Trader

Does anyone recall how many tickets were available last year?

20. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (824) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I believe 150 online and 100 on-site or vice versa. Then more sold on-site later.

But don't quote me.

21. NEB_beer

NEB_beer Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2016 Massachusetts

@DigitalNate you might want to moves some words around on the TH website. It kind of looks like you are open on Memorial day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. I know if you read all the words, those are Saturday hours, but on my first glance I thought you were going to be open on Monday...

22. beets

beets Initiate (0) May 23, 2016 Connecticut
    Deactivated

I know just about nothing, but I want to win father's day this year... I'm thinking of driving 2 to 3 hours to get some Tree House beer for a very enthusiastic beer drinker/home brewer. My goal would be to minimize wait time & get hopefully a couple different beers for him. I can take a day off for this, so would a 12pm Wednesday be my best bet, or a late Friday/early Saturday? (Maybe staying overnight nearby) I read their site so I realize that it can be unpredictable & that there are changeable limits on purchases, but I'm hoping you experienced people can give me some insight! TIA

23. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

You are guaranteed to get 2 different beers in cans on Wednesday, most likely 10-12 total cans. Friday and Saturday can be a crap shoot. I would say Wed.

beets likes this.
  24. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (2,064) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Wednesday usually won't get you anything special, but you will likely get some staple beers a la Julius, Alter Ego, Green (maybe not in these harrowing Galaxy-less times), etc. So yeah, go Wednesday if you're looking to get the best example of what Tree House has to offer.

beets likes this.
  25. DigitalNate

DigitalNate Initiate (107) Dec 20, 2010 Massachusetts

Noted, thank you!

26. beets

beets Initiate (0) May 23, 2016 Connecticut
    Deactivated

Yes, the staples are exactly what I'm looking for--thanks so much for the info!

27. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut

Not a chemist, but most likely what happened was that some of the water in the beer froze, and when freezing, it expanded causing the cold glass to break.

Also likely what happened to the growler. It's very possible for a cooler of ice water to reach temps below 32* which could freeze the water in beers causing the seals on growlers to break.

28. scrub0bk

scrub0bk Initiate (100) Feb 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

So for people outside of the area to get tickets, are there any taxi services that run to near by towns or camp groupds that one could take to and from the anny party?

29. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (223) Jun 5, 2005 New York

When's the last time alter ego was canned ? Curiousity 26 and bright were last weekend right? I have a choice between haze, alter ego, c26, single shot, and that's what she said. The guy went last weekend but want to get the fresher batch if possible.

30. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

3 weeks ago I think. Maybe 2. Dropped on a Wed with Green cans?

31. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

5/11 on alter. Bright was last thursday and C26 was friday. I think haze was 5/4 or 5/5 but i could be wrong. All of those are perfectly fresh. TWSS would be the oldest i think. Single shot with vanilla was 3rd week in april.

My bad: twss was 5/5, haze was 5/4

#392 Evmo31, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  32. eb1610

Trader

Its in the middle of nowhere, I think the closest town that might have a taxi service is Sturbridge

33. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

The bottle and the growler seem like they were left out at room temp inside a house (not in ice)

34. zman_

zman_ Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2015 Massachusetts

It sounds more like a combination of the beer expanding slightly as it warms and CO2 coming out of solution, increasing the pressure inside the growler as it warms up resulting in an overall increase in the pressure that the growler is seeing and consequent failure at a weak-point leftover from manufacturing.

35. chewy527

chewy527 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Connecticut

I'm guessing you could call a local taxi service and coordinate a dropoff and pickup. Not sure what that will cost. I know last year at least one Uber driver was aware of the event and was in the area for service.

36. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut

If I was an uber driver I would absolutely be scouring Monson all night.

37. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Dem Monson surge prices.

HeyHayward likes this.
  38. Lupin

Lupin Devotee (493) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

The problem is that you're eating the time and gas to get back to the brewery without a fare. I don't really think it would be advantageous to go out of one's way to shuttle people away from this event. You might get.. two fares? Three?

Would be very smart for attendees to pool into one car, however. Maybe I'll borrow my neighbor's hippie bus and start a fly-by-night motel shuttle LLC.

39. samuraichamploo

samuraichamploo Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 New York

I'll be at Tree House in June. Are there a couple bottle shops near by that someone would recommend? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.