Tree House Brewing Company (May 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TPIR

TPIR Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2017 Connecticut

Thanks for your respectful disagreement. I actually agree with you about having limited access making people have TH less often. I'm just trying to point out the other side of the coin, that's maybe that's not entirely a bad thing.

2. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Personally, and anecdotally, I haven't found that having Trillium more often has reduced any part of my enjoyment of it. Quite the opposite, actually; the beer I drink on the regular is way better than the beer I used to drink on the regular. I suspect that the experience will be similar if/when Tree House beers are part of my regular rotation rather than an occasional treat, but only time will tell.

mschofield and Sheppard like this.
  3. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts

I wholeheartedly agree. I wish I could make a trip on the weekends or late on weeknights so it doesn't conflict with work or family duties with a guarantee of a short line and at least a half-case of cans. If I knew this was the case, I'd be going more, not less. And despite what others have reasoned, I'm still not convinced that the TH expansion will result in Trillium-type traffic... but I'll sure be glad if I'm proven wrong.

4. Justin42

Justin42 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Same here. I love Tree House beers, but have not actually made a trip there solely for beer. Instead, I stop by when work or leisure takes me to that part of the state. If I'm driving back from Springfield, or even in Worcester for the day, I jump at the chance to pick up some delicious beers. But getting in the car, dealing with traffic, and all to bring home a dozen or fewer cans? No thanks. Now if I could get a case of beer, like I hope will happen with the new spot, I'll make the trip from time to time.

5. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

I will say that what the "thrill of the chase" plus scarcity does do quite effectively is drive up trade values and prices on the (ridiculous) secondary market. Trillium probably doesn't trade like it used to; nor does Heady/Focal/whatever else Alchemist is cranking out. That might be taken as analogous to excitement and enjoyment, just not necessarily for the people within reasonable driving distance buying it for the sake of drinking it.

mschofield and JoeK89 like this.
  6. DrugsDelaney

DrugsDelaney Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2016 Massachusetts

Maybe it doesn't pertain to YOU specifically, but yes, there is a psychological phenomenon at play when it comes to stuff like this.

It's why the term (sigh) FOMO exists.

And for every chill ass person that says the limited/exclusive nature has no impact on them, there are 9 other people who are subconsciously convinced it tastes better because it's hard to get.

7. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

I can, indeed, only speak of my own experience and from my own individual point of view.

8. TPIR

I agree. And most of my position is devil's advocate and simply saying to be careful what you wish for. I know that for me, having unlimited access to stuff is not necessarily a good thing.

Sure it's annoying to see profiteers who are there simply to stock up and resell. But there's not much I can do about that so I choose not to let it bother me. That's a recently acquired skill as stuff like that used to get me super pissed off.

9. beardfacejesus

beardfacejesus Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2016 Massachusetts

Maybe I'm one of those 9 out of 10, but that can of Doubleganger was better anything I've had from them since King Jjj, and I've got nothing to gain by admitting that.

10. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts

That's quite the ratio. Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine does all their tastings blindly and TH scores near or at 100 most of the time.

#90 GabrielEVH, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  11. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Don't you know that in order to become a level 4 Master Cicerone you have to be able to physically taste hype?

12. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,319) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Over 4.5 million people reside in the Greater Boston area.

13. TPIR

How do we know that you're just not talking it up to increase the price when you inevitably go to sell your remaining can on eBay? :wink:

14. beardfacejesus

beardfacejesus Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2016 Massachusetts

:grinning:
    Because I GAVE my other can away. I share all my beer, just like I GAVE away 2 of 3 cans of Juice Machine, and 4 of 6 cans of King Jjjulius, and however many cans of Very Green and Very Hazy, and all the regular releases. I'd rather give the beer to someone who never gets TH and drink one with them, rather than sell the can to someone for a marked up price. Seeing people enjoy the beer as much as I do is worth way more than a few bucks.

15. mattyg2k

mattyg2k Initiate (0) May 5, 2017 Maine

I brought a bunch of TH to a get-together recently, and while it pained me a little bit that some there had no idea what it took to get the cans (3 hour drive) or how highly sought after it is, I was glad to share it with other people. That's why when I trade TH I don't ask for the moon, just that the $$ lines up. I get a kick out of thinking that someone will finally get to try TH or that they'll drink it and really enjoy it....

...even if it is all in their head due to the hype :grinning:

16. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Pooh-Bah (1,736) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hot take coming: After having Very Hazy and Curiosity 34 (two rare ones obviously), I feel like the special releases are great and different but not necessarily *better* than the core offerings. Again, I've only had two but I enjoyed Julius/Alter/Haze/Doppel every bit as much as the two more sought after ones.

17. Sabtos

Sabtos Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,486) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pluses and minuses to pushing the extremes to extremer extremes.

18. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

I can get behind this hot take. I like Julius more than I liked KJ. Juice Machine is the only special release I've had that I feel might be better than the core offerings... not by a lot, though.

19. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Pooh-Bah (1,736) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good way of putting it. The double/triple dry hops create a great hop flavor but, in the case of Very Hazy, the tropical fruit notes weren't working for me in the same way as the OG

Sabtos likes this.
  20. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Eureka with Galaxy and Haze today, with Bright cans still available

JonB25 and skleice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.