Tree House Brewing Company (October 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jbrews

Jbrews Pooh-Bah (1,800) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Should know the internet police will get em

2. Sabtos

Sabtos Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,486) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If they don't know...

Jbrews likes this.
  3. TheNinthLetter

TheNinthLetter Zealot (692) Apr 16, 2017 New York
    Trader

You done goofed.

Jbrews likes this.
  4. agreenman19

agreenman19 Pooh-Bah (2,449) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The consequences will never be the same.

5. SPM435

SPM435 Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2014 Connecticut

Can anyone who has been to Charlton on Saturday give an overview of the process?

If they don't have cans, do you just wait in line and order drafts/bottles at the bar? Or do they sell drink tickets in a separate line or anything like that?

If they are still selling cans, is it one big line, or two separate lines (one for cans and another for pints)?

Planning to visit on Saturday afternoon, 10/21. I'm actually hoping they don't have a large supply of cans, because if they do and there is a 2 hour line like last Saturday, the group we are going with likely won't want to go. Hoping for a relatively chill Fall afternoon to listen to some music and have a couple beers on this particular visit...

6. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Zealot (730) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was there a week ago after cans had sold out on Saturday. There were actually three lines but it seemed to work fairly well. First line was to get ID'd where they gave you a wristband. Second line was where you bought tickets (different color tickets for draft vs. bottle). Third line was where you exchanged tickets for beers. They marked your wristband when you bought beers to cap the limit at 2 per person.

You could buy multiple tickets at once (well, up to 2 since that's the drink limit) so the first 2 lines only had to be waited on once, the beer line was one at a time.

7. Jbrews

Pooh-Bah Society

I imagine the Saturday crowds will always be there and actually worsen to an extent over time. The only thing that may help is they are a bit more remote. But look at what Trillium has become over its time in Canton. We used to love to stop by on a Saturday when it first opened. Now I don't enjoy the thought of going on a Saturday. Until I'm on the road and then I don't care and know I'll still enjoy it(HA) But my point is the place goes bonkers on Saturdays and only seems to be getting worse.

I imagine as word gets out more about Treehouse it will continue to snowball crowds on Saturdays getting drinks. The positive is Treehouse has tons of outdoor space, which will be irrelevant in about a months and a half. The negative will be fitting in those crowds when winter comes. In reality the open space is not that big and the set up so far is not ideal. Any lines just take up most of the space. But it is gorgeous in there, and I do like the guided hallways tour space. Which no one seems to use when I visit.

But hey, time will tell.

8. SPM435

SPM435 Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2014 Connecticut

Thanks; this was helpful. So are you saying that once you have your wristband and tickets, you can only get one beer at a time? Was hoping I could turn in two tickets to get a beer for my wife and me (while she is with my son). Not a deal breaker by any means, but would be easier if I could turn in two tickets at once...

9. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Zealot (730) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't think they'll let you do that but I could be wrong.

10. Coltron23

Coltron23 Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2017 Connecticut

Last time I tried, they said you cant. The line was long and I wanted my pour allotment in one serving to save time.

11. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Savant (1,101) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Queue for anywhere from 30 to 90 mins. Pay for your wrist band. Then go inside once you want your beer. One at a time per person. Then try to find somewhere to chill and drink.

It's not really a bar or brew pub kind of vibe. Very much like cattle being herded.

Unless you live local it's not really worth the drive to wait that long to grab a beer. By the time most folks have driven there and waited in line, I could've ran to several other places, grabbed a ton of good beer for the weekend and ended up in a great bar/restaurant that can serve me and the family a nice lunch with a good tap list.

That's a better afternoon for me than leaving home and managing to get one pint within the next 3 hrs.

12. Jbrews

Pooh-Bah Society

this nailed my point earlier

13. TPIR

TPIR Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2017 Connecticut

/sacrasm font You're missing the point. This is Tree House and you should be thanking them for allowing you to wait 90 minutes to get one beer, and then again for allowing you to wait another 30 minutes to get your second. /end sarcasm

This is more poking fun at the TH apologists and less so a criticism of TH itself. Tree House has created a nice atmosphere, they have a quality product, and the people are super nice. But they clearly have some issues to work through, and hopefully they do it sooner rather than later.

I think they could learn a lot by heading down to Tired Hands and spending some time at the Ferm.

14. JPCitra

JPCitra Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2017 Massachusetts

All of their issues stem from unprecedented demand, going to breweries with less demand isn’t going to teach them anything.

da1chifan and Sheppard like this.
  15. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Grand Pooh-Bah (3,459) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

What could they learn from Tired Hands? Isn't the Fermentaria a gastro pub? Plus, they also have a second location for pours and food. And their busy can sale days are probably run as poorly as any I've seen, outside of Other Half. Not to mention, they don't have lines running 200 yards out the door just to get a pint of beer.

Not trying to be a dick. I enjoy Tired Hands beer and I definitely think Tree House has a lot of issues and room for improvement but I just don't think a brewery like Tired Hands is a good example. It's just such a completely different set up.

16. pbrian

pbrian Pooh-Bah (2,056) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Maybe he just forgot to put the sarcasm font back on.

MikeM417, Sheppard and TPIR like this.
  17. TPIR

TPIR Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2017 Connecticut

You make some good points, sorry for not being more clear. I agree that there is little to learn from Tired Hands regarding can sale days, as that is a complete disaster. I was referring specifically to the poster's comment where he said:

"It's not really a bar or brew pub kind of vibe. Very much like cattle being herded."

In that regard, The Ferm is something that Tired Hands does very well. But I can see how I didn't make that point clear in my original post.

JPCitra and ScaryEd like this.
  18. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Grand Pooh-Bah (3,459) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Oh yeah I definitely agree with that. It's definitely worth a day trip once or twice a year and if I lived nearby I'd probably be there every week.

IMO it will be a long time before there's ever a "chill" vibe at Tree House. The hype is just ridiculous and there's no end in sight. The new location is set up beautifully for that kind of day but there's simply too many people who want to try their beer. Even if they sell out of cans completely before Saturday, there's going to be a ridiculous line of people. It's kind of unprecedented.

Honestly I think the only answer is widespread distribution, at least throughout Mass. That way people don't have to drive to one central location to get Tree House beer. But that may be a long ways away. Everyone wants Tree House, and right now there's only one place to get it.

Larueminati likes this.
  19. chriswjr

chriswjr Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2017 Massachusetts

This may have been discussed before, but does anyone know the reasoning behind why they have the two pints per person limit? Is it a choice due to demand or were the not able to obtain whatever licensing was necessary for a true tap room?

20. Larueminati

Larueminati Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2016 Massachusetts

You're probably right about this although we'll probably see them at least try to run Monson and Charlton in tandem first. Early on distribution would be disastrous, when vanished valley did it stores would hold all the 4pk's for their buddies/loyal customers and/or price gouge.

I've proposed it before, growlers only in Monson and that would take a cut out of the Charlton demand and would serve people who aren't sitting on, hording, trading or selling the beer (all of which i'm cool with but that drives the demand/lines). It would also spread it out more so people could get their hands on special drops a day or two after they were released.

Will be interesting to see what they do during the winter in Charlton with the can line snaking through the building blocking everything up and no where to stand inside. Snow all over their floors. I always wonder why they didn't make a "can corral" or some other type of quick pass-thru for cans, instead they have a line cutting across their whole building and you need to cut back through the line with a case in your hands to make it back to the parking lot. We all feel like herded cattle anyway. Not very well thought out.

jmerizio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.