Tree House Can Recycling?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by PaulR2, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulR2

PaulR2 Feb 9, 2020

Any info on where to bring the cans?
    Been searching, can't find anything.
    TIA
    Paul

2. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

3. MrEff

MrEff Mar 21, 2017 Massachusetts

bring them back to TH, the merch counter.

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

5. YourDigitalGrave

I don't know. I brought this up in the Tree House thread and somebody posted this and said they should accept Tree House cans. The one I go to isn't listed and doesn't accept Tree House cans so...

JrGtr likes this.
  6. YourDigitalGrave

Have you done this? I think legally they have to accept their own cans but I have never seen anyone returning cans there. Also, the merch counter seems like a poor choice for a return location. They should almost have something setup outside or something, away from the crowds.

7. Stormfield

Stormfield Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Is this thread satire?

GeauxTigers13 likes this.
  8. MrEff

MrEff Mar 21, 2017 Massachusetts

No, I merely asked them when I was buying beer. Others have done the same and gotten the same answer.

Every single brewery in MA takes back the cans they sell. Its the law, with no wiggle room.

9. jhavs

jhavs Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Doesn’t answer your question specially OP, but I bring Tree House cans to the Hannafords grocery store near me for refund all the time. (Trillium, Etc. too).

You can’t just bring cans back to any grocery store in MA?

edit for clarity, store is in VT, no deposit in NH

10. pbrian

pbrian Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

If by satire you mean troll job, yes

11. dele

dele Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

In MA, stores only have to issue deposit refunds for products they sell. My local grocery store doesn't sell alcohol, so I can only return soda and seltzer cans there.

The two beer stores I shop at regularly are also pretty bad at keeping their machines up to date to process returns for seasonal products or new releases that I bought from them. I'd say a quarter to a third of what I buy is rejected by the machines - I get a message saying "store does not accept this brand" even when I bought it there. In this case I have to take the cans to the counter and tell the worker that the machine didn't accept them. I get refunded in the end, but it's a bad system.

Universal returns like you have up in VT would be much better.

meefmoff likes this.
  12. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Tree House Beers are ~$100 a case. If you can afford that, you can afford the $1.20 Deposit. Just put them in your recycling bin and be done with it. They will get recycled either way...

kjlcm, jaysker95, Durge and 4 others like this.
  13. YourDigitalGrave

That equates to a "free" beer every four cases. It is better than the Subway punch card. Would you just recycle that too?

14. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

I think it equates to more like a free cookie every 25 subs. You're not getting a free "case" every four cases, you're getting a free 1/24th of a case every four cases. So you get a free case every 96 Cases... or roughly 1 case every ~$10,000 dollars spent.......haha.

15. PaulR2

PaulR2 Feb 9, 2020

agree with last post, but would still like to return them, and no, not a Troll.
    Reason I ask is my local liquor store has the Tomra machines for recycling, and they take just about every can except for Tree House.

pbrian likes this.
  16. nesarebad

nesarebad Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

When I was there last week there was about 6 cases of empties stacked next to merch. They take them, so let’s please end this portion of the discussion.

Ryanwithacomb, pbrian and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  17. nathanb47

nathanb47 Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

The store I work for has the Tomra machines as well and I must say 9/10 times it’s not our fault that the machine won’t take a can.

we have a scanner in the office to scan all new products and fill in information for them. Breweries who self distribute usually don’t have contracts with Tomra thus their can or bottle gets rejected. Bigger distributors like my Budweiser one pops right up and will normally get approved. I will say I tried the other day to have the new Sierra Nevada 40th anniversary bottle go thru our machine and it kept saying it wouldn’t be accepted even tho it shares the seasonal sku. When scanned in the office it says it’s approved. Who knows why it’s rejected.
    Try calling Tomra, guess what the number on my machine is fake and when you google it it’s only corporate office numbers. Weird set up, but please don’t blame the store.

GonzoHomebrewer likes this.
  18. jageraholic

jageraholic Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I live in Mass, I return them to Price Chopper. The machine doesn't take them, but the people who work the area will hand count for my refund and put the cans in with the recycle pile.

19. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

anyone know if you can take them back to Yankee?

20. YourDigitalGrave

I have been denied there on multiple occasions. The machines don't take them and the workers wouldn't give me credit for anything not sold by the store. It might depend on the worker but at least two different guys have said no.

21. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Tree house has to take them back. The redemption center in Framingham wont take treehouse either.

And a note on Tomra machines at stores; I was a buyer at a store and trying to get Tomra to update with new beers even from distributors in their system was next to impossible; when I left there was a backlog of new beers that hadn't been approved by Tomra that numbered in the hundreds. We would scan everything in their system for them and rarely did stuff get approved. Had a meeting with a regional manager, gave them contact info for all the distributors, including the new places, and STILL didn't get our system updated. It's not the fault of the store, Tomra just doesn't have its shit together.

SouthAtholSuds and Auror like this.
  22. Boto

Boto Apr 26, 2003 Connecticut

I live in CT. I take mine to one of the state redemption centers, specifically Bloomfield. They have taken everything that I have given them.

23. nathanb47

nathanb47 Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

This. This guy gets it, super frustrating right? Especially when customers blame the store, I do my job yet Tomra doesn’t have to

SouthAtholSuds likes this.
  24. dele

dele Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Fair enough, but it's the stores' legal responsibility to refund the consumer for returnables purchased there. If it's not possible to fulfill this responsibility using Tomra machines, then the stores should be looking at other ways to do so.

25. YS1977

YS1977 Aug 1, 2015 Massachusetts

We currently can't take Tree House cans in our redemption centers. We wish we could take them back though!

Like other stores in Massachusetts, we can only take products back in our Redemption Centers for what we sell in our locations. Products get scanned into a machine and then Tomra has to approve or deny that product.

From our understanding on Tomra to approve or deny a product is the following. The store submits a product request to Tomra. Tomra then contacts the distributor or brewery (self-distributing) to see if they have sent that product to that location. Once the distributor confirms with Tomra, then Tomra activates that product for that particular store. Personally, I've seen the process take from hours to weeks for a product to be approved. We know this can be frustrating to customers at any redemption center, just not ours trying to redeem cans. We will take products back over the counter for anything we carry in the store that doesn't scan in our machines. Tomra does service a high volume of accounts in Massachusetts. Surely the process has to backlog once in awhile.

Also, as someone previous said, the distributor or brewery has to have an account setup with Tomra before any product to go through any Tomra machine in MA.

26. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

I make a donation every week ... I put all of my cans in my recycle bin and people come by every week to pic the bottles and cans out. They probably need the couple of bucks more than anyone.

NYR-Zuuuuc and LakesideBrewing like this.
  27. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Ive been dealing with Tomra for 15 years and they only get worse. NEVER BETTER!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.