Tree House Good Morning is now #1

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by blisscent, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,216) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Obviously. People from around the US have banded together just to make this beer #1 and increase its trade value. It's hardly as good as the pointless reviews suggest.

rudzud likes this.
  2. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

I think it's more about building hype and trade value for local beers. Not a good thing IMO.

3. Masters

Masters Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

I feel most the people getting all upset haven't had the chance to enjoy it. Tree house is killing it right now, and this beer deserves its spot along with Julius

Hesscabob likes this.
  4. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Meyvn (1,007) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

I can do without the snark. You're obviously picking and choosing a few words that I said here and there, and are otherwise ignoring the point of everything I've been saying.

Psychmusic likes this.
  5. MisSigsFan

You say this, but looking at the entire first page of reviews, everyone is from Massachusetts, New York, or Connecticut.

6. mike0802

mike0802 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 New York

I love how people think a stout has to be BARREL AGED to be #1. GM is one of the best stouts out there, BA or not. Same how I feel about Everett...top 3 HF beers in my opinion and it's just a regular old porter. One that's done to,absolute perfection...just like GM. Its deserved to be at the top.

Horbar likes this.
  7. averagjoe3

averagjoe3 Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2012 Connecticut

theres a fb group

8. Masters

Yeah obviously... the closest states. When you visit the brewery, surprise surprise! everyone is from MA,CT, and NY

9. blisscent

blisscent Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

Trading is over-rated :slight_smile:

10. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

I don't get the love for Maple Syrup.

breadwinner and jlsims04 like this.
  11. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,010) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Get that bucket ready - it's back at 1 again

breadwinner and gopens44 like this.
  12. RichD

RichD Crusader (792) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I'm from Rhode Island and I reviewed it. Nonetheless it's a limited released beer that was made available last week for growler fills at 1 750 mL per person. This allowed close to 1,000 people to come home with this beer.

Also seeing that it's a brewery only release I would expect most of the people drinking it to be from the area. Especially since there's no calendar release like other breweries do.

gibgink and Masters like this.
  13. MisSigsFan

Todd just said from around the US so...

14. Masters

He was being sarcastic

15. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 New Hampshire

We have 4.75 and 5. If something is near perfect, I might round up. There are beers I've had that I really can't make any valid argument against calling it perfect. Good Morning is probably one of those. I gave it a 4.71 a while ago, but after tasting it again this past weekend, I could definitely have tweaked it even higher as it stood out as clearly the best stout of the weekend and I couldn't find any criticisms. Also you have to think about style. There are some beers that may not be your favorite, but they are perfect to style. In my book, that deserves a high rating (and why I like style-based ratings). There are a few Lambics I've had in the last year that were amazing and again, I couldn't find a single improvement... so why shouldn't I give it a 5?

As for the "oh, look at all the ratings in the last month", it was just recently released again, and it's hype had definitely increased since EBF (and TH in general), so of course there's been an influx of reviews! It's not a conspiracy. Trust me. There is a lot of this beer showing up at tastings and gatherings right now in NE.

The other issue is the fact that we are judging a beverage. Palate, Mood, setting, etc all come into play. You can drink the same beer in different situations and have completely different experiences. A good beer is a good beer, but sometimes it just hits the spot perfectly and seems like the greatest thing to pass your lips. Another day it might just be another solid stout. Beer is art. You can't really objectively rank art. It's just personal preference, and that changes!

#135 Satchboogie, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    darktronica and Masters like this.
  16. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,619) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I actually managed to squeeze in a visit while driving up on my vacation to Vermont 2 weeks ago.. See what all the hub ub was about.

I was only about 25 minutes there after it opened on a Thursday and the place was insanely busy. A can line moved slowly but orderly. Just bought a little.

Growler fills were possible but the place was just packed. I'd hate to see what it's like when they have something really coveted for sale, which just might be... well every day they are open?

Only had 2 beers, very well done I must say. But I can't imagine going there all the time if it's always that packed and busy.

I am sure the owners aren't complaining :slight_smile: guess it feels nice to be wanted.

17. MisSigsFan

I took that as the only thing that wasn't sarcastic in his comment.

I loved MBCP but I've also had some terrible beers with maple. They just come out really damn sweet.

18. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

Good Morning is a fantastic beer.

Dealwiddit.

jomobono and Masters like this.
  19. Masters

Wait what do you like on your pancakes!? :grimacing:
    Seriously though, I cant stand pumpkin beers.
    Different strokes for different folks my friend

20. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,359) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

This whole thread is pretty funny. The knock on the Top 250 before the change was that it was populated with established beers that had a ton of ratings. I remember seeing several "When Will Heady Get Overthrown?" threads. BA changed the rating system as a result of that feedback and to "go back to the roots" and they're getting ripped for that too. Now, that the system is changed, I would imagine that it will take a while for the Top 250 to settle. People may be more influenced to review now. There'll be beers that move up or down a lot after a release.

The case in point that I'll use is Good Morning. There were close to 2,000 750 ml fills released the last two weeks with 1 pp per day limits. That beer got to a lot of different people, so you're going to see an influx of reviews as it is the biggest release of the beer to date. It's supposed to be a very good beer (I haven't had it, but everyone I know who has had it has said it's unreal). It's not surprising that it has moved up to the top spot. At the same time, as @Todd said, it's in a very delicate position because of the low number of reviews. A few less than world class reviews could bring it down again.

My point is that, with the new rating system, we're going to see volatility with the "rankings." We are going to see beers go up and down. It's not something to get up in arms about in the short term. The numbers will get "corrected" over the long term. I don't think that the new system is perfect, but I do feel that it's an improvement.

RichD and blisscent like this.
  21. fossage78

fossage78 Champion (804) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

Instead of people not from the NE Area complaining about the rating. Why don't they just work out a trade deal with someone that has Good Morning and see if it lives up to the hype. From my perspective it does live up to the hype and is the reason why I've waited multiple hours (longest was 4 hours) to get my hands on this beer. Any amazing beer is going to be limited......

Masters likes this.
  22. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,600) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

I had Good Morning at EBF, so I have no way of trading it. My review and rating of 4.87 is simply because it was a jaw-droppingly good beer. One of the best I have ever had. I have no stake in trading it, because I tried it on tap multiple times at a festival. It is incredibly unlikely I'll ever get a growler of it. And if I ever do, it's so good. Why in God's name would I ever trade it? I'd 100% rather drink it.

But yeah, clearly, I'm part of this huge conspiracy to artificially inflate the ratings. Definitely.

Hesscabob, kylem2586 and gibgink like this.
  23. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,649) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I love the list, and I've always loved the list. I've been on this site over 10 years, and have seen said list change over and over again. And you know what? It will change again.

The point of the list is fun, it's not meant to be this serious. I don't base any of my purchases on it, because quite frankly I'd miss out on a heck of a lot of beer styles. I check it now and again and if I happen to come across a beer that is near the top, that's cool and I can see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Otherwise, if you blow you're blowing your entire bank account on these beers, and you spend countless hours (and maybe days!) of your life chasing after them, then you're completely missing the point.

24. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,010) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Not sure why people think the new Top 250 will normalize / correct itself. Seems to be a list that will be in a constant state of flux by design

UpDog, jrnyc and Ranbot like this.
  25. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,619) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

You know I think people just have to get over any and all of this, cause it seems no matter what @Todd or @Jason do they will NEVER make everybody happy...

I got no skin in this game of what is or isn't #1 on here there's just too much good beer to go around...

it's not that hard to get either :wink:

Jason and champ103 like this.
  26. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Perrin makes solid beer. Oskar Blues recently bought them

The No Rules Hype train stated before the change. People were headed out to the brewery and truck chasing that one before the change in the ratings system. I have a bottle, I will let you know how it is.

27. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 California

Are you sure you're ready for trading beer on futures? Heady straddles anyone? :stuck_out_tongue:

gopens44 likes this.
  28. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Wow. This escalated quickly. I'm just mad because I can't get a lot of the stuff on this list! Congrats to all the brewers and keep up the good work. Cheers!

Jason, blisscent and R3ason like this.
  29. Dolomitey

Dolomitey Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2015 Iowa

Why is GM #1? Probably because it's a great, proven beer. But more specifically, because 16 of the 34 reviews for this batch are 5's. 19 of 34 if we include 4.99 & 4.98. So given its previously high ranking and this new batch with over half the reviewers thinking it's a perfect beer, it gets the top spot.

Masters likes this.
  30. Todd

Because it has in the past, several times, and will again.

tylerstravis likes this.
  31. MisSigsFan

I'm sure some people will, but other people who aren't as into trading aren't going to want to give up what people might ask for it.

breadwinner likes this.
  32. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

I do not like it on my pancakes :slight_smile:

Masters likes this.
  33. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (738) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Mornin' Delight will be #1 by Sunday.

riegler likes this.
  34. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,349) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

In reflection, I could have scored major with insider trading when I worked for a distro. Would have made Martha Stewart look like an amateur! I'd also love to see the IPO on new BCBS variants!

35. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Just a word of advice to confused BA's. This is not your site and it is not your list.

I use the list as a reference, nothing else.

There have been many changes in the 8 years I have been coming here. Some I like, some I dont, but I keep coming back.

Don't put too much weight in the list. Remember, it is not a list of the best beers in the world, it is a list of the top beers as rated by a fairly like minded group of individuals who visit this site

#155 moshea, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  36. Todd

Some live to complain, and especially about things that they're passionate about. I can appreciate the latter if it's wrapped with constructive feedback, and many of the updates that we've made in the past have been based on this.

jhavs, R3ason, JLaw55 and 4 others like this.
  37. fossage78

fossage78 Champion (804) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

I mean is it people are just angry that PtY isn't #1 anymore? The fact of the matter is that PtY has been around since 2005 (I'm good at math so that's about 10 years). So all of those 890 reviews have come over a 10 year span. Good Morning was first brewed last year...and already has 89 or so reviews, which is on PtY pace.....Also, PtY is mainly a California location only beer that you have to go to certain places for. I'm not sure why everyone is so up-in-arms about. Time will tell if Good Morning will stay at the top....the only thing that is true is that Good Morning is my #1 beer.

38. MisSigsFan

I think PtY makes it around the country, but I agree it's not anywhere near the best beer in the world.

39. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No, it makes it to a very limited distribution area, mostly on the West Coast, CA and OR, with the two exceptions being the Denver area and the Philly area.

40. JStampler

JStampler Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2013 Pennsylvania

I agree with this. I remember going to Tired Hands before people started talking about it outside of PA and I thought the beer was very good but just a step below some other breweries. The style of beer really reminds me of New England breweries. The IPAs are a notch below Trillium and Tree House and the Saisons are a couple notches below Hill Farmstead.

Anyway, I'm part of a local Facebook group and it's turned into a Tired Hands circle jerk where everyone just posts pictured of their recently filled growlers as if it's gold. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that 75% of the people there truly believe that Mago Tago and Alien Church are the two best Hoppy beer ever made. Better than anything by Tree House, better than Heady, SoS, Pliny, etc. I can see if a few people felt that way but it's the overwhelming majority. Those same people also claim that HandFarm is the best Saison ever made. Better than anything from HF, Casey or SARA. Half of them have never even had Casey or SARA to compare but that doesn't stop them. They truly believe that Tired Hands is the best brewery in the world. It's a great brewery, but come on. This is a FB group with hundreds of very active members that have all turned into sheep. It's like they know that they will get tons of likes and comments if they gush Tired Hands so that pretty much all the group is now.

I know everyone has their own opinion but its gotten ridiculous how much homerism goes into ratings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.