Tree House's 4th Anniversary Party

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by eb1610, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebenavid

jebenavid Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 New Jersey

Less than 6 days to go. Can't wait for the festivities! A nice hike Saturday morning sounds like a great idea.

2. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (823) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

That and a large greasy breakfast sandwich.

musicman7070 and jebenavid like this.
  3. VincentChase

VincentChase Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

So does anyone have any guesses on what 'surprises and additional beers' will be on the docket for Saturday? As much as I'd love to say Good Morning, they recently said on Twitter they haven't been moved to brew it again so I can't imagine that's in play. If there was ever a time to make Juice Machine again you'd think it would be for the party but I wonder if they have enough of the hops they need to make that. I'd be very surprised if Native One wasn't pouring but outside of that I'm kind of stumped as to what to expect. I hope they have all the fun Double Shot variants like they did last year.

As of right now, it's supposed to be 91 and sunny with zero chance of rain - sounds like the perfect weather for drinking awesome brews, taking in some live music and eating delicious BBQ!

4. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (347) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

I would think JM might be there

5. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Julius Morning? Coffee IPA?

6. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (347) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

ha

7. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

Per their website, Double Shot variants will be there! :slight_smile:

8. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Poo-Bah (3,431) Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

At last year's anniversary party, was there an option to fill growlers/purchase cans at the end/beginning of the day?

9. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (204) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yes on cans, no on growlers, and no on both this year unfortunately

dar482 and SpeedwayJim like this.
  10. JeanJacketLover

JeanJacketLover Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2015 Massachusetts

What time is everyone planning on getting there on Saturday?

11. zman_

zman_ Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2015 Massachusetts

I am planning to get there around noon. They said that is when they would start checking people in. I just want to get everything squared away and be ready to get that first pour right @ 1pm

12. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (354) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

There really is no need to be there early or line up early for pours. There was plenty of everything except for the DS variants but as soon as one kicks they bring out another one thats just as good

Mikecap likes this.
  13. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (469) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

is there a black or gray market for these tickets? what are they going for?

14. eb1610

Trader

They're non transferable so people can't resell

dar482 and jlordi12 like this.
  15. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,917) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

Friends and I will be staying near Tree House. Staying the night after the event.

Any recommendations on places to go at night near Monson? Are we limited to just Springfield or Sturbridge?

Tbub18 likes this.
  16. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Armsby Abbey and Dive Bar in Worcester are 40 mins away. Always a great list and Armsby has killed food.

dar482 likes this.
  17. NEB_beer

NEB_beer Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2016 Massachusetts

A great list indeed, but you should mention that it is probably the only place you can get Hill Farmstead on tap in Massachusetts....

dar482 likes this.
  18. Tbub18

Tbub18 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 New York

See you there on Sat man

dar482 and Fahmie25 like this.
  19. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,917) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

And Nick, right?

Tbub18 likes this.
  20. Fahmie25

Fahmie25 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2008 New York

yessir! see you there bud

Mikecap and dar482 like this.
  21. Mikecap

Trader

Questionable.

Fahmie25 likes this.
  22. eb1610

Trader

So now that it's less than 24hrs away I was starting to really think about possible surprises. My guess is that the Creature Comforts collaboration makes an appearance

23. dfroms

dfroms Initiate (0) May 21, 2011 New York

Pretty last-minute, but anyone driving up and back from Connecticut and want to carpool/share a designated driver? Please PM if you're open to working something out — cheers!

24. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (127) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Society

What are the chances of the King Jjjuliusss from tonight being on at the event tomorrow?

25. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

100%.

26. Billy_Bars

Billy_Bars Aspirant (249) Jan 18, 2014 Illinois

100%

Capt_Quint likes this.
  27. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (94) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

Really, really bummed out that I missed out on tickets right when they went on sale - but hope everyone enjoys themselves tomorrow. Please give us updates and thoughts!

28. eb1610

Trader

3.5hr. So close

Mikecap likes this.
  29. jebenavid

Awesome party so far. People think 12 five to eight oz pours isn't a lot. It is. Very much so.

jomobono likes this.
  30. skleice

Tap list looked absolutely incredible. Enjoy!

Even though I'm sad I could not make it, I'd love a trip report...

31. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana

What was the draft list?

32. skleice

33. Prop28WasBetter

Prop28WasBetter Zealot (523) Feb 19, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

So, first off... Every beer I tried was incredible. Highlights included KJJJ and double shot, double coffee. People were all very cool. The only suggestions I have are around logistics. It seems like they could've had:

1.) a more efficient way of checking peopl in, we waited for about 35 mins to get in after arriving at 12:40.
    2.) there were some obvious beers that were more sought after, it would've made life easier if they split the jjjulius and King jjjulius table and split up the double shot varients
    3.) they waited a long time to tap some of the more sought after ones, double shot varients and the vanilla bean give me truth. There was a big line for vbgmt, and they had not even tapped it yet.

Small suggestions aside, really amazing time, great beer, great people, great time. Two years in a row and I would happily go back for a third.

skleice likes this.
  34. ncuba

ncuba Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2008 Massachusetts

The question on my mind: what is the list of leftovers?

35. jebenavid

My favorites of the day had to be KJJJ and double shot with coconut. Phenomenal beers

36. eb1610

Trader

Standouts for me were Vanilla Bean Give Me Truth, King JJJulius, and Double Shot w/Double Coffee. This year's glassware and shirt were definitely much improved compared to last years and the sun glasses were a nice touch. Everyone I was with had a great time

37. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

The Trail Magic cask with Nelson was a sleeper hit for me.

38. VincentChase

VincentChase Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I think the Treehouse family has a busy job if they were just focused on Monson-related business. To juggle running the hottest brewery in the country and the crushing demands, planning a party like today for 450-700 people, all the stresses that come with the new construction of a new brewery - God Bless those folks!

The weather couldn't have been nicer today and to be outside with live music blasting, a festive crowd, a 350lb hog smoking away and world class brews just made for a fun day. I noticed a few people I've come to know across various social media outlets in attendance today so it was super cool to have met so many of them that I've only known from across an IPad screen.

As far as beers go, I was most impressed with the series of 'Natives' and Little Ditty and that came as an absolute surprise to me because these mixed fermentation/sour style beers are not my thing. Experienced craft beer drinkers could speak more eloquently than I but I thought they were incredibly balanced, with the sourness and funk relatively tame to what I've had before. Give Me Truth was an interesting beer for me - really assertive with the first few sips but it seemed to mellow afterwards. People will hang me at the stake but I wasn't in love with Triple King J - I actually thought the 'regular' Jjjuliusss was more flavorful. The one true clunker (and by no means a drain pour) was a tie between cask Julius with Citra and DS with berries.

I'm praying I get a few level headed people out of the group who read and respond to this because one person on Facebook has shared a negative review and is getting chewed out by the fanboys and at this point most people can't stand me anyway, but I think there was a lot to be desired in terms of overall experience.

I understand having some core beers on tap but if everyone is being realistic, if you're there and have paid a nice price on the admission and you have only so many drink tickets, you're not wasting your time with the core offerings. You're just not. Of course people had some but those lines were largely dead all day. Some of the cask offerings, as well as the Native releases, we're not part of the initial beers offered and when I asked three different employees how'd they roll out and incorporate these beers in throughout the day so I could sort of strategize a game plan they all told me they had no idea.

We got there around 1130 for a noon check in but noticed people were waiting to get in well after 1 and closer to 2 before they got in.

After BTs rolled out the food after 2, the Double Shot variants came out and that started the longest lines of the day. Nearly everyone got Triple J and King Triple J when they first got there, and the Native One releases had modest lines, but the lines were 100+ deep for the DS variants with one person pouring. Through the first 3 hours I had used almost 4 out of my 12 tickets. I met a few people who had been to the party last year and when I mentioned I was concerned that I wouldn't get a chance to use anywhere near all of my tickets before 5, they all said the party end time was extended by 2 hours last year. At 5 o'clock Dean got on the mic and told everyone not to leave, and at 530 we went to get another beer and without any notice they told us the taps were shutting down and no more beers were being poured. The lines for the DS variants, of which I think they only tapped half of, were 45-50 mins long. I had 5 tickets left at that point, and after 230 I essentially got a fill and went right back to the end of the line knowing it would be a half hour or more before I got the next pour. The front page of the welcome guide specifically states they didn't want anyone to stress about not getting a beer you wanted or jumping back in line after getting a fill and that's exactly what happened. Native 2 was gone instantly, and I never saw Eureka w/ Blood Orange, cask Julius with Nelson/Amarillo, DS w/ chocolate and oranges, DS with chocolate and cherries, DS with pumpkin spice, DS with exotic spice blend or DS with unsweetened DP Cocoa.

There was a group behind us in line speaking in hushed tones about some of the same things I'm sharing and the person in front of me heard and stated he was a local, has been there since the Brimfield days and that his attitude was that if he's paying $4 for a beer during retail hours and $133 for a ticket to a party you are allowed to have high expectations and the right to be a little more vocal and I shook his hand and said that's how I feel exactly. When I speak to the Treehouse employees, I instantly feel bad that I have criticisms because they truly are fantastic people. I'm not a troll and I don't come posting looking for trouble. They're a company I like and invest in and support but I also feel are not above criticism. I cannot imagine or fathom what their schedule is like or the logistics they have to sort through on a day to day basis. I largely had a great time but admittedly left feeling like I didn't get my money's worth.

Before I hit send on this - no one wants fights here. If your initial reaction is to call me a few choice names and tell me to not get in line for a ticket next year please just direct message me that and keep it off the boards. If you want to direct counter anything I said with a different experience, by all means - it's a discussion board! If you're a Treehouse employee reading, thank you for what was a busy day and please view my criticisms as constructive and the thoughts of one guy. Thanks for reading.

#78 VincentChase, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  39. Mikecap

Trader

This times 10. Went back for more.

slengteng likes this.
  40. Mikecap

Trader

This is painful to read. Kudos to you for writing all this. To me, after last year, I thought they did a great job with the increased attendance.

I'd agree the management of the so-called "special beers" could've been perhaps a bit better. Last year, DS variants were on from the beginning. Would've liked if they did it that way this year. Regardless, everything I tried was tasty and I drank more than enough. Absolutely got my money's worth. 10/10 would do again.

CraftBeerLos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.