Trillium Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by SnugTeam6, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (220) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Interesting. I only ask because I really can’t wrap my head around it. I know it’s not my pallet because I still drink a wide variety of beers and can notice consistency changes. But with Trillium the sweetness of this new profile overrides everything. There are some unique characteristics to each beer but I can barely detect them.

folkstar likes this.
  2. folkstar

folkstar Initiate (148) Sep 28, 2017 Rhode Island
    Trader

YES... a thousand times YES to this. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but it's remarkable and disappointing to me how they ramped up the sweetness and at the same time buried all the other subtle flavors their flagships used to express. No singular hop characteristic, no juiciness or tropical characteristics in either the nose or the taste.

jadedturtle, LarryK and AirBob like this.
  3. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (453) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts

Oh but, nyeeah....nyeeah!

4. robo55

robo55 Initiate (59) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

You’re describing every Tree House beer I’ve ever had. Aside from the varying yeast character, I can never pick out the showcase hops. I’m a home brewer too so I like to think I can detect the difference between most hop varieties.

tzieser, StoutElk_92 and Capt_Quint like this.
  5. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (462) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

The bright series does a good job. Between the fuzzy baby ducks thread and the sentiment in here maybe the haze craze is dying

tzieser likes this.
  6. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (526) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

7. bla211

bla211 Initiate (111) Mar 17, 2015 New York

8. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (37) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

I think if you're a hop head the julius/jjj beers taste noticeably different from the alters/dopples/doubles, the greens/gggreenns/very greens, and the sap variants. But I agree in part. The newer core like hurricane and non-core beers like the various pale ales (lights on/out etc) are very hard to tell apart. Those all seem to mix a number of hops strains where as the first four I mentioned each emphasize one or two.

9. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (151) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

Im the cu
    I started the FBD and the End of the Haze Craze threads. The biggest problem is this sweetness. I notice it in the Tree House beers as well. Nothing is worse than a one note, overly sweet NEIPA. Its like drinking straight sugar water.

jlordi12, Pete_Gill and drez77 like this.
  10. ransom22

ransom22 Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan
    Trader

More hype poop-water stouts otw this week?

11. nesarebad

Only the finest for you meh baby!

tzieser likes this.
  12. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (193) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

This surprises me. I had one last night and got nothing but pure Galaxy. Thought it was very good and closer to older offerings. The SMASH approach is a good one for them IMO to show they still can go back if they wanted to.

bobby_teddy likes this.
  13. Rexcinerum

Rexcinerum Initiate (155) Apr 27, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

I like their beer. That's why I'm here. Their beer has changed, my taste in beer has changed, and I don't always expect those two paths to align all the time. When they do align, I am thrilled. It happens more often with Trillium than with most breweries out there. Across many styles. It's unfortunate to see so much negativity in this brewery thread. They're doing a good job in my opinion, especially with all the expansion that's going on in Boston and Connecticut.

14. DrewLS

DrewLS Initiate (137) Oct 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm with you. Post here very seldom but often read and the same people posting the same crap over and over is getting pretty old. We get their points already and their time is probably better spent elsewhere.

How about a congratulations to Trillium on six years? Remember being at Fort Point on day one. Used to love Will, one of the OG retail guys there. Was hilarious and nuts all the same. Crazy to think how far they've come.

15. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (86) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Will! One of my favorites. I think he's at Deciduous now....

hopley likes this.
  16. HazeForDaze

HazeForDaze Initiate (27) Apr 2, 2018 New Hampshire

Ah nostalgia...does anyone else remember when their beer tasted good 4 years ago?

Pete_Gill and jstilwell like this.
  17. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,393) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Yes, Will is a great dude. I last saw him at an Allagash party a couple / few years ago and at that time he was at Deciduous, may still be. I agree with you about the Trillium trash talk - I have done it enough myself but try not to do it now unless there is a reason. I still like their beer for the most part but really only drink their stouts and the occasional IPA, or what I've got stored up in my cellar.

As far as congratulating them on six years - they have a lot to be proud of, but a lot to be ashamed of as well. While I don't respect them or trust them in the slightest anymore, I do look back fondly at the old Fort Point. Great stuff, so I guess they deserve some sort of congratulations.

AirBob likes this.
  18. DrinkingThe413

DrinkingThe413 Initiate (46) Jan 29, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Visited the new restaurant yesterday when I was in the city for some business. Very cool spot. Parking is a bitch, but nothing different than when they were around the corner. Didn't get any IPAs (didn't want to be disappointed, again), but had the apricot stonington wild saison, was a big fan. Tried the Carton x Trillium collab wild ale aged with wine grapes...it was certainly unique but not my favorite. Finished on the peanut butter PM Dawn with cold brew coffee...LOVED it. Overall pretty good experience. Cool people to chat with at the bar. 4 stars.

Rexcinerum and rhino88888888 like this.
  19. nesarebad

Didjaeat?

tzieser and jbertsch like this.
  20. jtads122

jtads122 Disciple (310) Feb 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Trillium Anniversary Party Draft List:

[​IMG]

jaysker95 likes this.
  21. j44thor

j44thor Devotee (410) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Draft list released for tomorrows party.
    Can't wait to get in line with 200+ ppl for BA Affogato tomorrow.
    Don't get me wrong, ecstatic that is on the list as that is the one Trill stout I missed, just wished there was more options to thin out the line a bit. Guest taps are mostly a miss for me, esp J Wake who is bringing Affogato spelled backwards.
    So long as I get the BA Aff, Double PB PM and 109 I'll consider it a successful event.

22. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (206) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I would assume they would have enough to last through quite a bit of each session. Even if they have only a single half barrel per session, that's still nearly 200 full pours each, and I would guess that plenty of the 500 people in attendance aren't exactly the "15% abv stout" type of drinkers. You'll get your pour, and probably a second and third if you want it.

23. j44thor

j44thor Devotee (410) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Yeah, not too concerned about them running out. More so the line to get the one whale at the event. Bummer J Wake brought the non-BA version of Affogato. GJGE

24. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (249) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

18 out of 27 beers are 8% and over
    13 are 10% and over
    9 are 11% and over
    Jesusito Cristo.

25. WolfsburgVW

WolfsburgVW Disciple (302) May 21, 2013 Maine
    Trader

Makes it a lot easier for those attending to forget about how much they paid for the event and beers consumed.

26. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (121) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

It’s non BA but it isn’t just Affogafo, it’s a new version they’re releasing in bottles this tomorrow that was brewed at Wakefield

27. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (49) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

Personally I’m kind of excited for Perm 88 w guava and Double PB PM Dawn , also I am a big Veil fan being originally from VA so it’ll be good to see the home town boys too

spersichilli and Rexcinerum like this.
  28. jeff_mc33

jeff_mc33 Initiate (143) May 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Nowhere else to put this....decided to get a beer at The Smoke Shop (BBQ joint in the Seaport, minutes from Trillium) as I waited for takeout today. They had FPPA on tap so I ordered without even inquiring about price.

Turned out to be $12 for a 12 oz pour. WTF!

I’m used to paying city prices but that’s nuts (on the restaurant, not Trillium).

29. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (72) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

did you look at the anniversary tap list?

spersichilli likes this.
  30. jtads122

Society Trader

Prices of their anniversary tap list seem reasonable to me. Any high end craft beer around the city on draft is going to be $10-$12. I live in Charlestown and any rare taps that Brewers Fork gets in are in that price range. I go to Monument frequently and they've had multiple Burley Oak JREAMs and Lunch Dinner on tap over the past few weeks and they were similar prices. It is what it is. It's Boston.

9percenthurdle likes this.
  31. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Initiate (28) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts

That tap list is legit. Went to trillium today and got the six states and the BA color and grain. Six states is a nice departure from their pastry stouts as its more traditional and malty. Reminds me of expressionism from TH. BA color and grain is quite good albeit very potent. The mosaic cutting tiles was also very good and I thought the mosaic hops came through nicely. Food was very meh but enjoyed my time there.

Just to stay on topic - Trillium is the worst amirite!?!??

parg0 likes this.
  32. jtads122

Society Trader

So much shade

parg0 and 9percenthurdle like this.
  33. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,284) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

You would’ve been better off going to Trillium and getting a draft pour of Fort Point at $7 for a 16oz, or getting a can for $3.80.

34. RuckIt

Trader

This party is a shit show. Got in, waited 15 minutes for my first pour. Been in line the 40 minutes since, and not even halfway to the bar.

They over sold this event by a good 300 tickets.

At least I’ll be getting to the front of the line by 1:30 when they tap St Lam.

Never again.

35. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (134) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

36. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (86) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

I have tickets to the 2nd session. That’s not great news.

37. ahandregrown

ahandregrown Initiate (38) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts

Me too... holding out hope it goes the same way the Field Trip event did this summer. Read about all sorts of issues at the afternoon session, but the evening session was extremely relaxed.

38. RuckIt

Trader

Following up. Got to the bar at 1:23. St Lam was going to be tapped at 1:30. Was told they wouldn’t give me a pour early, and I couldn’t wait for it. They said that NOTHING they poured today would kick, so don’t worry about it.

Got back in line immediately, got to my next pour at 2:10. Was told that St Lam kicked at 1:40.

Last call was 2:45.

So in all, I got the opportunity to get 3 pours in 3 hours.

jadedturtle likes this.
  39. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (339) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Dave, is this real? I trust coming from you it is. 3 pours in 3 hours? Brutal.

RuckIt likes this.
  40. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (86) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Can you get more than one pour at a time? At busy beer gardens or events, I typically just get two at once and post up somewhere.