Trillium Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by SnugTeam6, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Rexcinerum

Rexcinerum Initiate (155) Apr 27, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Has anyone heard anything about the Trillium Field Trip?
    I know Trillium is notoriously tight-lipped but maybe someone heard something?

2. parg0

parg0 Initiate (49) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

They confirmed via Twitter that it's happening but no info regarding timing yet.

Rexcinerum likes this.
  3. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (36) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

DDH Congress st and DDH Publick House are both tasting great. The sludgy-ness of the new ferm profile and the hop burn associated with the DDH beers seems to have mellowed out. Cheers. Trillium is back baby.

4. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (217) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

You think? I still feel like they are too sweet. I'm also a tad butthurt that Trillium has just begun ignoring fans and lost a lot of transparency. Remember the good ol days when JC would chime in here?

I know it's not easy to deal with the craft beer audience, we can be a ornery bunch, but I'd really appreciate some insight into why they changed the beers everyone loved.

nolanz14, mgp, AirBob and 1 other person like this.
  5. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (36) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

My palette may have just adapted to the sweetness. They didn't strike as any sweeter than a typical NEIPA at this point, although that might not be a great reference. Regardless they taste better than they have. Seems like with each successive batch they are dialing in the street beers.

I agree. Transparency would be nice. Something as simple as "We heard your feedback and we are/have been working to improve the consistency of [ABC] beers as we adapt to [XYZ]." Or "We are continually striving to improve the quality of our beers and we think this batch is tasting great." - acknowledging the variability and their dedication to process improvement.

mgp and Rysk22 like this.
  6. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (354) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

We need to talk about Central Artery. This is a damn good beer & great for a summer beer. Hope they keep it around. Will be buying more.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  7. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (435) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Tiny bit of oxidation followed by candied chocolate/coconut then booze....sweet fancy Moses....
    [​IMG]

SABERG and Trull like this.
  8. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (87) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Good pour.

9. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (163) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

is that glass busted at the mouth?

tzieser likes this.
  10. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (334) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think that’s the cause of iPhone portrait mode. It distorts tops of bottles and glass rims. I’ve sern it on checkins and insta posts.

Rysk22 likes this.
  11. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (354) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

According to Twitter, Cellar Sunday ends tomorrow. Stout is Resolution Break. They're teasing an easier way to reserve beers in the future... May be tied to the online ordering pilot they ran a few weeks back.

ManapuaMan likes this.
  12. parg0

Trader

Yeah this must be tied to the online ordering pilot. Works for me, the online/pickup process was super convenient.

Sad to see Cellar Sunday go though, was always fun to take a peek each week at what might drop.

13. mgp

mgp Initiate (90) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

At the risk of kicking a hornet's nest: how are the hoppy beers tasting as of late? I'm going to dinner in the neighborhood, and it feels really weird to not swing by and grab a couple of four packs, but it's been a while!

Sheppard likes this.
  14. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (87) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

I thought galaxy cutting tiles was great on draft, but it could have just been that it was the perfect compliment for washing down a burger. I grabbed a 4 pack of citra cutting tiles and ddh congress street, but haven’t cracked any cans yet.

mgp likes this.
  15. mgp

mgp Initiate (90) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

Thanks, Joehio.

Who am I kidding, I'm probably going to go regardless.

eaglephile, Sheppard and Rysk22 like this.
  16. Kraz

Kraz Aspirant (201) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

They said today on a social media comment that news should be coming soon and to stay tuned. They didn't announce it until early July last year though, if I remember correctly. I made the trip last year because the brewers and beer list was unreal, hope they capture that again

17. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (300) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire

I bought DDH Fort Point and Citra Cutting Tiles this weekend and both taste absolutely great to me. I have tried to stick to the Citra stuff since the profile change as I personally find that it works really well with that hop.

mgp and bobby_teddy like this.
  18. debokle

debokle Initiate (36) Feb 20, 2017 Vermont

Really hope the online ordering is not basically limited to those who happened to be on their phones when the pilot was announced on the FP sidegram story. Heard those that are in the pilot will get the first chance for the real thing cause they're "interested and engaged." That hardly seems like a legitimate way to sort out actually interested/engaged customers by a hour on Instagram. By that system, could of never bought a single beer from Trillium before or just started going that week and landed a spot on their club. Frankly, seems dismissive of many early FP patrons.

19. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (38) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

DDH congress has been improving each batch imo, this last one was great. Agree that the citra beers have also all been really good. Ballmer Peak really stuck out for me and that citra perm was different in a good way

bobby_teddy likes this.
  20. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (354) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

No idea, but I think they're planning on opening it up to a substantial amount of people once they get everything worked out. Think they just wanted to pilot it with a couple hundred people.

I signed up and did it -- but I don't use Instagram all that much. Pretty sure they had a sign up link for the pilot program in one of their emails...

21. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (217) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

The pilot system is a simple URL that anyone can access. If you know someone in the program they can just share the link as far as I understand... Unless they've decided to cross reference some master list.

22. parg0

Trader

The online ordering was in the weekly newsletter.....seems more than reasonable and hardly dismissive.

23. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (217) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

How is DDH Melcher tasting?

24. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (696) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Any update on what/when the next in the Seesaw series will be? The last few releases have been absolute home runs and some of my favorite fruited sours.

25. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (86) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

The New England Vacation out today sounds fantastic. True New Englander was great, so a lower ABV version is right up my alley.

26. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (829) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Been kinda out of touch with Trillium the last 3+ years being from the west coast. My last trip to Boston & Trillium I picked a bunch of 4pks at the Boston Fort Point location. It was just a small place to buy to go store. Reading up on their website they are full blown restaurant and tasting room now? Looks like they have a lot more 4pks available for purchase to go? Maybe its time for another trip to Logan airport. Whats new worth bringing back home?

27. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (334) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Grabbed a few new beers over the last week. Double pier is fantastic, one of the better Trillium beers I've had in a while. Same biscuity quality that pier had but a little heavier. Tried New Englander's Vacation and really enjoyed that as well. It was pretty sweet, but I enjoyed that. I never tried True New Englander to compare so unsure if that sweetness was in that beer as well.

Haven't cracked the dialed down yet but excited to try that as well.

dcgunman likes this.
  28. FlailingJerry

FlailingJerry Initiate (26) Mar 28, 2019 Massachusetts

I got an email today with the online bottle purchase selections (Permutation 109, Stroka, and Blackberry Fated Farmer). Shortly thereafter, I selected 1 Perm 109 and 1 Stroka, checked out, and showed up about an hour later to pick them up at the Canton location, with no line whatsoever. I am definitely a fan of the new system.

WTCrane likes this.
  29. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (90) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

30. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (334) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

how do you get on the email list? I already subscribe to the newsletter but didn't get any email about the 109 bottles.

31. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (69) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thanks for the heads up guys. Gonna save that link to my browser.

I did not get the email, but I was able to follow that link just now and purchase a bottle for pick-up anyways. I created an account while I was there so hopefully I am on any future emails.

But Checking here, and that site periodically should be enough to land some future bottles, email or not.

32. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Initiate (30) Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

the original email i got only mentioned perm 69, no mention of 109 at all.

33. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (38) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am pretty sure 109 was for the test run a while back and 69 was today (plus Stroka and a Fated Farmer)

34. WTCrane

Trader

After further thinking, I'm actually a big fan of this depending on how they update the masses, and how many bottles they actually keep on hand.

I have missed a couple stout releases in the past being out of town and have always liked the Cellar Sundays. I could show up early the Sunday when the one I missed popped, or grab another of ones I really liked. Was sad to hear they were going away.

But it always made Sundays morning there a $#!+show. Long lines for bottles and pours on a day that people generally have off. They just wanna stop by the tap room and enjoy a couple beers and grab cans to go. They just cleaned up that rush that set the whole afternoon back.

I think it also gives out of town trillium fans a chance to maybe catch a couple bottles. They can check out that site and get a bottle held for their trip to Boston next week.

35. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (86) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I hope they give some way to sign up for the emails for when they put new beers on the site. I know it was apparently in a newsletter one week, but i couldnt find it. I think if they're good at weeding out people trying to buy over the limit with multiple accounts or something, i would be happy if they did all the stout releases like this. It's much better than a release in the middle of the week when most people are working.

36. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (829) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

What’s Trillium’s Permutation series all about? Experimental, small batch series. Brewed on different system? Any good? Hit or miss? Worth buying? Sorry for all the question marks here. Just curious. On tap at Ft Point location?

37. WTCrane

Trader

Experimental, and a lot are awesome. Perm 57 might be my favorite pastry stout they did. 69 another great stout and available on that site right now. They kinda did what you would see in an Oud Bruin (with a stout instead of a flanders red) where they blended year old barreled stout, with a fresh batch of pastry stout its another great one in the series. 52 was an awesome coconut stout. Mostly IPA's some are hit and miss, but a lot of hits. Some sours, hit and miss as well, more miss for my taste.

9percenthurdle and dcgunman like this.
  38. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (327) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Really enjoying New Englander’s Vacation. Has all the great Sabro qualities without the intense woody/cedar notes. Nice and drinkable.

7irondave likes this.
  39. JMcCaughey42

JMcCaughey42 Initiate (43) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Hey guys, traveling to Trillium from Philly at the end of the month. I've heard mixed reviews about the food, anyone recommend any places around there for food? Thanks in advance!

40. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (190) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Row 34
    Smoke Shop BBQ