Trillium Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by SnugTeam6, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Kraz

Kraz Aspirant (201) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

I'm sure this is going to draw fire since 90% of my Trillium consumption since last summer has been fresh beers traded halfway across the US, but, every single beer I've had over the last 1-2 months has been notably better than it was the previous 10 months.

Don't know if the "new" profile is finally getting dialed in or if new beers are just much better than the existing guys

Gonna go hide now, byeeee

StoutElk_92 and Rexcinerum like this.
  2. MrEff

MrEff Initiate (35) Mar 21, 2017 Massachusetts

Maybe be a bit more specific. Which beers are you talking about?

3. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (266) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

DDH Congress and galaxy fort point cans I had this week were excellent. Not overly sweet like some of their recent hoppy stuff.

4. parg0

parg0 Initiate (49) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

109 is on for on-site bottles at Fort Point currently. So not completely sold out at least.

Also FWIW - my May 30 email says Perm 69 is for sale. Pretty sure the 109 sales were just for the original testing group.

5. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (702) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Overall I'm down on most of Trillium's new offerings (especially the Lighthouse series) however Double Pier is outstanding! Made a big mistake only buying 2 cans.

6. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (71) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Teasing a Biscotti stout for this week.

EDIT: NVM it just dropped online sales are up.

7. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (335) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

They tweeted the release details out in the last ten minutes or so. It can be ordered online for pickup tomorrow.

WTCrane likes this.
  8. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (354) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've bought way less Trillium this year than in past years, but credit where credit is due: This is an excellent way to do things and its much appreciated. I'm not available to grab this beer tomorrow, so I would have most likely missed out.

Now I can go online, order a couple bottles and pick it up any time over the next week at my leisure? Sign me up. It probably helps them too to spread out the number of people coming to grab bottles and doesn't crush their parking/staff/other business at the same time. Win-win.

ManapuaMan, AirBob and 7irondave like this.
  9. WTCrane

Trader

Love it personally.

Most of these breweries have a tickets/lottery system for the really big releases now anyways. Cut down on lines, traffic, and strain on anyone planning to head over for cans or pours. Glad trillium has move to this. I grabbed a bottle of perm 69 during the trial run and it could not have gone smoother for me.

9percenthurdle and 7irondave like this.
  10. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (86) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Just ordered two bottles to pick up after work tomorrow. What an awesome system, stress-free and easy. Can't wait to try it!

7irondave likes this.
  11. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (38) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow! $100 for GA ticket to the field trip this year, I guess it shouldn’t be too much of a shocker ..

12. SnugTeam6

I just saw that. That is unbelievably insane. No one could drink enough beer to warrant that price. Food isn’t even included, that’s extra. Hard pass.

Also not the mention that I feel this enables irresponsible drinking behavior, between the feeling to “get your money’s worth” and it being in a car-only area.

#732 SnugTeam6, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    kinopio, jlordi12 and Shaymus like this.
  13. Foamykeg

Foamykeg Disciple (318) Jan 24, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I don’t see any difference between this and Other Half’s “Green City” festival. Prices are about the same...same unlimited pours.

Also comparable is Extreme Beer Fest VIP ticket price this year....I think that was around $125 or so.

Ryanwithacomb and 9percenthurdle like this.
  14. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (331) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

Is this a beer festival that includes unlimited pours? Because if so, $100 has been pretty much the standard rate at the higher end festivals for a few years now.

15. parg0

Trader

Wow. As someone who had an incredible time at Field Trip session 2 last year, I'm extremely disappointed, and likely won't be attending.

The price sucks but isn't even my main gripe. Changing to unlimited 3oz and 5oz taster pours takes this festival from "casual, grab a half/full pour of a world class beer and hang out" to "copy of every other festival, stand in line while you take shots of beer you can barely get a flavor for."

Major disappointment.

16. mhull

mhull Initiate (104) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

Same here, session 2 was great last year. I liked the fact you could drink at your own pace and hang out by the fountain. It was a nice change from the usual rush around to drink your $100 worth of beer shot glasses.

17. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Initiate (27) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts

I vastly prefer the small pour format personally. Allows attendees to experience many more individual beers without getting absolutely hammered.

rightcoast7 and jaysker95 like this.
  18. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Nothing appealing about this in the slightest for me. Guaranteed lines because of the format

To those saying you can’t get a good taste/feel of a certain beer in a 3-5oz serving - you’re right, you can’t

parg0 likes this.
  19. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (218) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Why would they do this? Last year was great. $100 is ridiculous. The pour size is pretty stupid for a fest with a goal of sampling. Their decision making absolutely baffles me. Problem is, people will pay this unreasonable price making it reasonable in the eyes of Trillium.

Why does Trillium always insist on changing the things they did well?

mountaindewORcrabjuice and parg0 like this.
  20. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (206) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Assuming they roll with a similar tap list to last year, I guess I can see why they increase the price and reduce the sample size. Compare that $100 ticket to EBF's $65 price... last year's Field Trip tap list blew away EBF, in my opinion.

Because of that, the real value this year comes at that $150 VIP price point. Getting a full hour of access to those taps with only 300 people in the gates will ensure you get to try literally everything you want (that's available to start the day) with minimal / zero line. At 3-5oz pours, even a casual drinker should be able to get 5-6 samples (minimum) before the gates open, and another 5-6 before the majority of GA patrons have entered and made the lines particularly long.

With that said, I have zero interest in attending at either price point option. I'll echo the sentiment that I thoroughly enjoyed the ability to get a pour and sit down to enjoy it, rather than hopping right back in line to sip my beer while waiting for the next one. Maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe it's because I'm not a "ticker", but I'd much rather casually enjoy a handful of awesome full pours rather than pound shots of more different beers than I can count.

9percenthurdle likes this.
  21. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (347) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Yeah I've definitely never seen anyone puking into a garbage can at a beer fest where they only have sample pours.

Capt_Quint and dubdrop like this.
  22. mhull

mhull Initiate (104) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

Simply put they make more money off this format. An extra $50 bucks a ticket for people to drink the same beer the people who spent $100 is straight profit. They get guaranteed revenue off ticket sales vs day of flux on drink tickets. I'm sure there's a good amount of people who aren't going to get the value of their ticket in beer.

I like how their response on twitter was that the change was based on feedback from attendees.

Rysk22 likes this.
  23. 9percenthurdle

cool anecdote bro!

24. oldbean

If you have some hard data to back up your opinion I'm happy to take a look at it.

25. 9percenthurdle

No need. Basic math and logic backs up my opinion. If you drink say 5 full 12 oz pours you are consuming more alcohol than say ten 3-5 oz pours of comparable abv beers (just to clarify - 10 beverages are 100% more than 5!!!!). Not a particularly profound idea....

26. 9percenthurdle

Probably a stupid question, but you essentially just buy the beer online and then walk into Canton or FP within 7 days, give them your name, and they give you your beer? Transaction complete? Thanks

27. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (354) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

My only experience in doing it was Fort Point, and it was the pilot, so take that for what it's worth. But I went in, approached the "to go" area like I normally would and mentioned I was there for online pickup. They directed me to an POS specially set up for it. I showed the guy my ID. He checked a list. He got my beer and packed it up for me. Whole transaction took about two minutes.

9percenthurdle and WTCrane like this.
  28. WTCrane

Trader

Pretty much described as above.

ID that matches online purchaser. Directed to a White PoS to the side of the registers. handed ID, Got/then handed me my bottles. A few minutes later I got an email from trillium saying order fulfilled.

9percenthurdle likes this.
  29. rightcoast7

I’ve never understood this thinking, although it seems prevalent on this site. Judges in every beer competition make their decisions based on small pours, why can’t we? Sure a full 10-16 ounces is nice, but I think it’s silly to say you can’t get a good feel for a beer based on a 3-5 oz pour.

StoutElk_92 and 9percenthurdle like this.
  30. oldbean

...So people drink more than ten samples. This is also not a profound observation.

People are spending a $100 on this event, they're going to be looking to get their money's worth. And with a brewery that traffics in as much high ABV beer as Trillium does, I am sure they will have no problem doing so.

#750 oldbean, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  31. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (378) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I went last year, won't be going this year. This move is classic Trillium - just brutally maximizing profits. That's their right, but it's been crystal clear for years now that this brewery is not your friend. It's a for profit business doing everything they possibly can to make the most money off of you.

And that's fine, but nobody really has a right to complain. just take your business elsewhere if you don't like it.

32. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (86) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yea, I am a bit concerned with this field trip. I feel like turning it into a beerfest makes people want to get their moneys worth out of it, and combined with fomo i can imagine a lot of over-drinking at a location most people are driving to and from.

SnugTeam6 likes this.
  33. Shaymus

Shaymus Defender (627) May 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society

it'll be a pass at that price....and yes I'm sure they'll sell out.....very much enjoyed last year's despite the rain!

34. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (461) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

I haven’t bought a Trillium since wagegate. All the positive reviews ( not overly sweet bs) got me tempted again

SnugTeam6 likes this.
  35. SnugTeam6

Had a taste of Biscotti & Coffee at Fort Point and it is damn solid. I cannot stress enough how great the online ordering system was. Got my two bottles after a drink after work and walked out. The retail guy said this is their intention for many special releases moving forward, which makes me happy and more likely to grab some each time.

On the other hand, I’m stuck on the Red Line because it’s fucked, per usual.

9percenthurdle and Shaymus like this.
  36. MattVC

MattVC Initiate (40) Aug 21, 2012 Massachusetts

Unsure how the pours will be greater than two ounces. It's my understanding that MGL 138 prohibits unlimited sample for a flat fee unless it's under 2oz.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/respect-beer/ seems to agree:

"At our fests we now have a 2oz pour per individual tasting limit - that's monitored. It's Massachusetts State Law, and allows you to enjoy more beer responsibly."

j44thor likes this.
  37. rightcoast7

Would this be the same Massachusetts statute book that says you aren’t allowed to dump tequila into a beer and sell it without a liquor license? Because I think I might have your answer.

abagofit and 9percenthurdle like this.
  38. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (82) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

This guy gets it.

abagofit likes this.
  39. j44thor

j44thor Devotee (409) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

This is a great point. Given they are advertising the samples being 3-5oz I certainly hope they have legal permission to somehow pull this off. Don't recall another fest in MA that was allowed to offer more than 2oz but who knows.

40. parg0

Trader

WOW they're changing the format because of the 2oz thing. Now it seems you'll need a ticket for each 3-5oz pour!? What an absolute joke. Trillium honestly can't get out of their own way lately. They took what was an incredible event and have so far botched the living shit out of it.

Edit: $4 per 3-5oz pour....this is legit shameful IMO. Especially after spending $50 for entry and only getting 5 tickets.

#760 parg0, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019