Trillium Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by SnugTeam6, Jan 3, 2019.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,233) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I’d like to talk about the beer if I could :wink:

My cousin brought me back a bunch of 4s and I’m starting with Nausett Lighthouse. I get a bit of subtle sweetness (id read back a bit and saw some people talking about it) that’s delightful and a pithy grapefruit/tangerine/mango taste. Really enjoyable and smooth for almost 9%. Awesome DIPA.

9percenthurdle likes this.
  2. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (86) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

How shitty, they really should have done their homework before announcing the field trip. Also, $50 extra bucks for early entry only?

3. MattVC

MattVC Initiate (40) Aug 21, 2012 Massachusetts

4. j44thor

j44thor Devotee (410) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Fucking clown show. How do you announce a fest without knowing basic MA law. All benefit of early entry goes out the window when you have to pay for beers.

spersichilli and 9percenthurdle like this.
  5. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

This is absolutely amazing. Was there not one person involved with the logistics of this festival who brought up the law?

They have done this before!! How does a legal pour limit go undiscussed when strategizing a beer festival!??

Amazing oversight. But it doesn’t matter to them. They will shrug and change the “rules” and all the money will still flow in. Hilarious and yet another reason why I put my money elsewhere

6. gclaw4444

Trader

I also just realized that all the GA people were already willing to pay $100 to go, so i have to imagine a large portion will just upgrade that to the new VIP tickets at the same amount. At which point early entry just becomes normal entry with a few people showing up an hour late.

StephenPizzi and 9percenthurdle like this.
  7. redbill

redbill Initiate (20) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

25% tip?

8. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (220) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's rather impressive that they are still making mistakes like this after all this time. It's also not surprising because $ seems to be the first thing on their mind at all times.

9. j44thor

Society Trader

As a current VIP ticket holder I'm going to downgrade since the extra $50 just means I'll blow through my 5 tokens that much quicker with no real benefit aside from missing the early lines. They really should have given VIP's 8 tokens at least. Instead I'll downgrade and the $100 I'm saving will buy more than enough tickets to last the fest.

If it is like last year not all the best beers are on at open anyways so the real benefit of VIP was just to get access to more beer early.

10. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (131) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts

^^^ This

11. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (350) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

My big thing with wage-gate is that paying your employees well isn't something you do just out of kindness and generosity. You treat them well because they ARE your brewery. You do it because maybe if people on your production team leave, your beer quality might be wildly inconsistent for a while. Or, I don't know (I really don't, this is 100% speculative), maybe the person in charge of fests leaves, and whoever replaces them hasn't planned one of these before and doesn't know the laws. One plausible explanation of many, but there is something of a pattern here...

12. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (378) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

ding ding ding

these are the mistakes that get made when "how do we make the most money" is the primary problem you're trying to solve. I have a very hard time believing that "most customers asked for this to be $100 and all you can drink". I would wager large sums they figured they collected something like $75-$90 per person last year so charging $100 would both 1) make them more money and 2) be a small enough increase that they wouldn't lose many people.

there are operational efficiencies of course with going to a model where you don't need to sell tokens, but again that comes back to wanting to save money.

13. j44thor

Society Trader

Does anyone remember what pour sizes were last year? Thought for sure it was more like 4/8 or bigger. Paying $8 for 6oz pour is a little rich for a fest.

14. mhull

mhull Initiate (105) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

5/10

15. jbarletto

jbarletto Disciple (319) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts

Can't even fathom going to that. Either before or after the format change.

16. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (249) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yes Esther, pray that there won’t be another fuck up this month.
    [​IMG]

17. guinness77

Coconut PM Dawn is bananas. Like, off-the-chain good. The coconut is perfect In it.

All 4 beers I got were amazing. Farnesworth St is a Vic Secret delight and everyone I split the Congress St with last night loved it. Can’t wait to bring the rest on my vacation next week.

9percenthurdle and StoutElk_92 like this.
  18. Jonathan-Dixon

Jonathan-Dixon Initiate (40) Apr 10, 2016 Maine

I agree on the coconut pm dawn, so good if you like the pastry/dessert stouts. Actually going back for more today, and that’s why I decided to look here. Ddh Melcher was great as well - it seemed to be back to what it once was. It was not orange mud looking, and had none of that sweet bread base that I believe came from the “new ferm profile”. Galaxy FP was doughy and gross (and I loved that beer in the past). Any feedback on the latest Congress batch? I am scared to try it if it’s still as bad as the ddh congress I had last fall. Hoping for these guys to make a comeback to where the beers were just before they started canning. I love it when it’s on point.

#778 Jonathan-Dixon, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  19. guinness77

The Congress St. I got from my cousin last week is not DDH and, like I previously said, I split a can with like 4 or 5 other people and we all loved it. I’m saving my other cans for my trip next week and I can’t wait to have one to myself.

20. Foamykeg

Foamykeg Disciple (318) Jan 24, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Just wanted to tip my hat to Team Trillium. They refunded my entire Session 1 VIP Field Trip purchase today. I appreciated that.

21. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (555) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

I also belatedly want to give the retail team kudos. Tried that online ordering for a bottle of Coffee & Biscotti but must have stupidly had the Boston location selected. After discovering this the sales guy was able to work some stock around to hand me a bottle allocated for the taproom, thereby accommodating me while not leaving them short for the rest of the Canton orders.

22. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Initiate (78) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Has anyone been to the greenway spot this season? How crowded has it been?

23. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (300) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire

I was there on a sunny and nice Saturday a few weeks ago and it was not crowded at all when I got there around 11:45 or so. But when I walked back by it closer to 2:30 or so there was a long line to get in. I would think this would be the case on most warm and sunny days on the weekend, fine at open and then building a crowd as the afternoon hours set in.

24. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,282) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Weekdays after work hours are packed with a line to get in.

25. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (354) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Last Friday, the BB Tap Takeover, I tried to get there early -- maybe just a bit before 4 p.m.? Slammed with a line probably 40-50 people deep stretching back along the path and down the Greenway. I feel like they've made it bigger and it's still more crowded than its ever been. Good problem for them to have!

FWIW, the brewery on Thomson has a roof deck and the selection there is usually more varied (and better) IMHO.

26. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (72) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Final appearance of coconut pecan pie 2pp online purchase only

27. kuntmissioner

kuntmissioner Initiate (37) Jan 29, 2016 Massachusetts

Um, it's good. But no.

MrEff likes this.
  28. j44thor

Society Trader

Nice to hear at least one person got a refund. Still waiting on mine.

29. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (692) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Hit FP on Friday for cans, 1st time seeing the new space and I was impressed with the beers and the space. I brought a suitcase for my cans (bought 40 in total as I was bringing back for friends). I was able to fit 34 of them in my suitcase so there were 6 cans left over sitting on the counter. I asked if I could get a bag to put the 6 cans in and was told that would be 5 cents. I thought the guy was joking but he said that is MA law. I get the whole recycle MA law thing but if JC reads this thread I have a suggestion. Keep a cup full of nickels next to the register so your customers spending $200+ on beer don't have to break a $20 bill and be handed $19.95 change after they've paid for their beer. Just my 2 cents, (or maybe it's just my 5 cents actually).
    Love the beers I've tried though so far and hope to get back to Trillium FP soon. I may even bring some nickels with me next time.

Mkozaka and Shaymus like this.
  30. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (148) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

It’s a law. It’s not trilliums fault, nor is it their job to pay for your bag. Circumventing the law with a “cup of nickels” would defeat the purpose of the law, which is limiting waste.

on that note, the 5 cent law kinda bugs me for the exact opposite reason it bothers you. What’s 5 cents on top of 200? Is that really going to prevent someone from taking the bag?

I haven’t defended trillium in a long time, it feels weird, but I’m currently on vacation in the south and was handed a drink in a styrofoam cup. Call us libruls, but at least we’re doing SOMETHING

ISO: DDH Cup of Nickels

31. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (72) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thats a Boston thing, not a Trillium thing.

Trillium did give out those bottle totes bags for free, when that was going into effect. (which sell for 3 bucks on site). I got one and leave it in my truck and bring it in now when I buy beer. I thought that was nice of them, and something they did not have to do, and its limited my waste, and no 5 cent bag charges for me.

32. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (266) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Trillium does match the 5 cent bag fee and gives it to charity. I'm not aware of any other place that does that.
    Paper and plastic bags suck at their one job on top of being wasteful.

ManapuaMan and Capt_Quint like this.
  33. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (436) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Crime o’ the century....

34. Capt_Quint

Spends $200+ on beer, complains about $0.05 meant to help the planet. ::facepalm emoji::

Fuck styrofoam.

35. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (692) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Seems to be a reading comprehension problem here, not complaining about the .05 or recycling, It's the way it was handled by the Trillium employee.

36. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,086) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I hope that 95 cents was all in nickels so that you're better prepared for next time.

37. gclaw4444

Trader

Sounds like the employee handled it just fine.

38. Capt_Quint

No, I got it. You wanted Trillium to provide the nickel for you. A way better suggestion would be for Trillium to have some sort of signage at the counter informing customers that Boston is trying to do its part to stave off human extinction.

hoosierlobstah likes this.
  39. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (120) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Seems like a lot of IPA cans have been sitting at Fort Point. Nauset Lighthouse is getting to around a month and a couple others are getting to 3 weeks

40. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (555) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Fort Point is so busy no one goes there anymore.

But seriously, now that every square foot of that neighborhood is developed, can't make that location a "quick stop" on the way to Maine like I could 5 years ago. Not able to tell by the traffic anymore if it is weekday rush hour or midday on the weekend.