Trillium Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by SnugTeam6, Jan 3, 2019.

1. lic217

lic217 Champion (855) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Simple solution:
    When they asked for the $.05 for the bag, you could have just smashed the 6 pack of cans on the ground. That would have taught them a lesson.

kjlcm likes this.
  2. kjlcm

kjlcm Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

Was wondering about that. So no more area to pull up in front when slow, throw on the hazards, and grab cans? Where is the quickest / cheapest place to park if you are on the go?

3. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (522) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Do not do this! You will be towed.

Tow trucks float in the area and are quick. Pretty certain the concierge across the street calls the tow as soon as the person gets out. I saw a tow back up to a car and rip it out, take a left down Calvin Pl then properly hook up the car a couple blocks away.

I still look for a spot in front of the old location or park at the $10 lot behind it if there are no meters open. The tow just isn't worth it for a couple cans

4. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (553) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

I've oddly gotten lucky with street spaces on Seaport Boulevard and Sleeper Street my last few visits for Trillium or otherwise. However if stopping for a full meal at one of the restaurants in the neighborhood I just head into a garage.

5. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (435) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

If things are slow - you can park in Stilling St garage and as long as you pay at the kiosk within 10 minutes of pulling the ticket u can park for free. I’ve done this a bunch of times since 2014. It a little harder now as the walk to Thompson place is a little longer. Any hiccup (or lure to the bar for a draft....) and you pay the min charge.

kjlcm and 7irondave like this.
  6. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (71) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

BA Vanilla Truffle!

Now online for holds, pickups tomorrow.

jaysker95 and jhavs like this.
  7. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (86) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Wow, the BA Vanilla Truffle online orders sold out already. Was literally going to order one.

8. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (86) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

It sucks that for releases like this it's going to be basically whoever is at their computer when they get the email. I still prefer it over random weekday releases.

9. WTCrane

Trader

Wow, that was lightning fast.

They did specify in the email it was a very limited batch and it was strictly 2 pp, regardless of method of purchase.

They will still have the full allotment on sale for IP tomorrow when they open. But they said have your ID ready, they are cross checking IP sales with the Online sales.

#809 WTCrane, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  10. WTCrane

Trader

[​IMG]
    J. Wakefield Brewing conditioned on luxurious Madagascar Vanilla Beans.

This beer will be available today (6/26) to purchase online at the link below
    (limit 2pp).

Pickups begin tomorrow (6/27) when we open - no proxy pickups allowed. Please read all details on the ordering page as there's more to know. Bottles will also be available on a first-come first-served basis tomorrow (6/27) at Canton and Fort Point locations. Limit for in-person purchasing is also 2pp.

*Due to such a limited amount of bottles, we will be enforcing a strict two bottle limit per person, regardless of the order method. We will be verifying IDs against online and in-store purchases. Please make sure to have your ID ready when you visit.*

Email above for anyone not signed up for them.

11. parg0

parg0 Initiate (49) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Love this new system. Can't wait to pick up my bottles but also love that I can drop by there anytime in the next week and not worry about it.

12. mhull

mhull Initiate (104) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

I only bought 1, thank me later.

Rysk22 likes this.
  13. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (190) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

You are not the hero we deserve but the hero we need.

Davl22, mhull and Gsulliv2 like this.
  14. parg0

Trader

I like how the inverse of this was posted at essentially the exact same time in the Tree House thread. Someone is crossing the streams.

15. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Pardon the out of towner question here but I was just wondering how crazy the Saturday vibe is at Fort Point. I’m going by the first weekend in August with some friends and expect it to be quite busy, but just wanted to get an idea.

Sounds like the Beer Gardens a guaranteed line. Is the taproom any better or just a complete zoo? I’m guessing it’s a bit more spacious? Thanks in advance for any help.

16. parg0

Trader

The taproom is indeed more spacious but expect a line if you're going at peak hours. Same with the Garden. The secret with Fort Point is to make reservations ahead of time (do it now), and you skip the line, have a burger, then go down to the bar, or up to the roof deck.

RuckIt likes this.
  17. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (181) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Thanks, very good to know. You mean res for the restaurant correct? Do you have to order food? And afterwards you can just walk right out to either location?

18. parg0

Trader

Yes to all.

b-mc-g likes this.
  19. j44thor

j44thor Devotee (409) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I don't think the roof deck works that way since it has a separate entrance. You can walk out to the patio but pretty sure you need separate reservation for roof. Perhaps you could put that in while you have lunch, not sure.

b-mc-g likes this.
  20. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (206) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm curious if this is actually still the case? I used the garage the week before the old FP location closed, and was definitely charged $$. I was in and out of Trillium in less than 3 minutes, so I assume I would have been back at the garage and paying under than 10 minute limit. But maybe I was just a bit slower than that?

21. parg0

Trader

The roof deck entrance is off the 2nd-floor dining area, so you can just walk straight up after you eat. I'm not aware of any reservation for the roof deck specifically but please correct me if I'm wrong.

They do have a max number of people that can be up there, so if its full, you are stuck with either waiting or going downstairs/out to the patio.

b-mc-g likes this.
  22. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (38) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

Floppy Disk is on for pours only , Galaxy & Sabro

23. chipawayboy

Trader

It’s been a few months for me but I pulled it off within the last 6 months. Much harder at Thompson point but if there is no line it’s possible.

24. jjamilkowski

jjamilkowski Disciple (338) Mar 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I pulled it off a couple weeks ago. There was no line and I was picking up my online order so I was quick.

25. ppponte

ppponte Initiate (37) Feb 1, 2010 Massachusetts

Had dinner at the Grange in providence last night, walked over to the trillium tap takeover at bayberry beer hall after. What happened to congress st.? This was your flagship, its pretty bad muddled mess. Tried Floppy Disk which was very average and coffee cake stout (lots of coffee not bad). Tried a few others but wow trillium is a brand Im going to just forget about from now. So many other good local choices. It was just a short 3 years ago I used to walk from my place in fort point to grab growlers around the corner. They expanded way too fast and went through too many brewers to come back it appears.

AirBob, eaglephile and jmlewisjr like this.
  26. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,371) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Am I right in concluding that BA Vanilla Truffle online bottle sales sold out in like 45 minutes or am I missing something? That's the amount of time in between when the email was sent and I saw it and went to the online ordering system only to see it was sold out, and alas I'm outta town...

I think the online system can make things easier in general, but my only problem is that it keeps you glued to your computer and always checking - which I did pretty regularly as I knew this one was going to drop...but in this case maybe lowering the limits to 1pp would have been better as I feel like I was dealing with Ticketmaster trying to get Stones tickets...!

27. chipawayboy

Trader

Agree. Weird..could there really have been that much on line buzz about that beer?..was also surprised that they still had a regular walk up sale of the beer — I guess I thought the entire batch went online. Was that new for this release or their MO?

hopley likes this.
  28. chipawayboy

Trader

I agree in general that it seems the flagships have permanently changed for the worse - maybe for the reasons you stated. I still love the new location but it has to take the focus off the beer. Had a DDHFP last night an was disappointed. Weird carbonation (big bubbles), no real hop aroma and the body was off -back end of the beer just dropped out. Some have changed more than others. At the same time - there are so many brewers making Trill copies (London3/estery citra /galaxy/mosaic) - I wonder how much of the change is really other brewers evolving the style to better places. Weldwerks is a great example - one of the first brewers west of Monson to openly market IPAs as NEIPA— and they basically stated that they were huge fans of JC and copied the Trill approach. I had a big sampling last week of their beers and they were all awesome— none of the odd features of the latest incarnation of the typical Trill haze bomb. Who knows where it’s going - I don’t expect any changes for the better - the brand is focused on a much broader product now and clearly successful. Just go to Thompson Place on a Saturday or Sunday - zoo is an understatement.

29. WTCrane

Trader

Under 45 minutes for online sales. It was a tight window for sure, but if you missed it, you (well not you specifically) had the option to get down there and get in person. If you missed both, hey it happens, you can't get them all. Even though we've all tried to at some point.

Onsite Bottles lasted at Canton well into the afternoon at 2pp. I think the allotment was just fine.

The online sale took a ton of people out of the line, and avoided the massive crowds after initial rush for the people just wanting to enjoy a beer onsite. Easier on the staff too.

I love the new system, I am on the email list, and I have the trillium account with payment info stored on my phone. I get the email, I look at phone, I click the link, I add to cart, and hit checkout. My beer was ordered 30 seconds after the initial Trillium email (so thats what your up against ordering online, I'd suggest you follow suit). Probably go pick them up after work today, no fuss.

jaysker95 and 7irondave like this.
  30. WTCrane

Trader

Biscotti and Coffee was the first release like this. So its still new. They have been doing trial runs with Perm 69, and Coconut Pecan pie as the new "cellar options".

I know alot of people have moved on from trillium. But there is still huge crowds there, and many more have come into the fold. How many bottles would you say they had, 1000? 2000? Divided by 2 pp, if you don't think Trillium can drum up excitement from 500 - 1000 people for a BA'ed stout you are selling them way short.

9percenthurdle and chipawayboy like this.
  31. chipawayboy

Trader

agree - either way the new system is great - if you want the beer - you can pretty much get it w/ease.

7irondave and 9percenthurdle like this.
  32. j44thor

Society Trader

I'll add I was impressed they were actually checking the in person sales vs. the people that purchased online to make sure no one was double-dipping. Didn't think they would actually do that but you needed to show an ID for the in-person sales and they had the online order list printed out to cross reference.

I missed out online but had no problem getting bottles at open yesterday. Line was about 60-70 ppl deep right at open, probably would have been at least 2X that had they not sold online as well.

The beer itself is a bourbon bomb, more barrel than I can recall in any other Trill stout. Very good but the van was hidden just a bit.

jaysker95 and 9percenthurdle like this.
  33. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (86) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I definitely prefer the online sales, but i wouldnt say you could get it with ease.

34. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (553) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

While the ID to cross-reference online sales is good, I wish there was a way they could keep your name on file to assure no second trips through the line rather than marking an X on your hand. I went to grab bottles during lunch break and would prefer not having to scrub off the marker before getting back to work (which eliminates the whole purpose of the "X" in the first place).

j44thor likes this.
  35. j44thor

Society Trader

Yep was thinking the same thing. They should just add you to a master list. They already use google docs for their menus, no reason they can't just add a live google sheet for the workers to use.

36. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (38) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

I mean what do you expect, but 10 bucks for a little pour of Big Bird at the greenway? yeesh! (I will say Big Bird is excellent though)

37. Mkozaka

Mkozaka Devotee (490) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Haven’t been to Canton in 2+ yrs but always read the monthly threads. Thinking of a trip tomorrow to use up a gift card. Can I get a quick yea or nay on the following:
    Motueka FP
    Melcher
    Bumpkin
    Goose
    Sparrow
    Pilsner
    See Saw
    Thanks!

tzieser likes this.
  38. parg0

Trader

While the pale ales have been hit or miss, the See Saw series has been consistency fantastic IMO. I haven't had the peach though.

Mkozaka likes this.
  39. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,089) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm a big fan of their pilsner and the little bird series has always treated me well. Looks like a solid list.

StoutElk_92 and Mkozaka like this.
  40. WTCrane

Trader

Man that BA Vanilla truffle is good.

Smell is booze and barrel, and that definitely dominates the after taste. But when my lips are on the glass that first taste is vanilla and marshmallow. Thick, good head retention after pour, but receded and couldn't bring it back with a swirl of the glass. No lacing.

Digging this beer, my favorite of the BA trilliums (full disclaimer: ive never had BA Affagato. only Tiramisu, Color & grain, Macaroon, and Vanilla Truffle)

jaysker95 and 7irondave like this.