Trillium Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by SnugTeam6, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopley

hopley Poo-Bah (1,842) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I ordered it and read favorable things about it on untapped, but still, the thing that doesn't really make sense is why they dropped the ABV by 2.5% (given the change in recipe - less figs) - basically I think they brewed two different beers at the same time and gave the barrel treatment to the wrong one...??? Either way, still sounds tasty.

2. jtads122

jtads122 Disciple (355) Feb 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Why type of beer is that Haunted Fields pre-release? It's hard to make out what it says on the bottle.

3. parg0

parg0 Initiate (70) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Looks like it says "Imperial Stout aged on spanish cedar with mostra coffee & vanilla."

Color me intrigued.

4. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (516) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Gotta be a Pumpkin Stout, right?

5. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (53) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts

It’s the J Wakefield collab, someone leaked the description on Facebook.

6. 7irondave

7irondave Defender (666) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Care to share?

parg0 likes this.
  7. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (53) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts

Sorry can’t post photos on here but the gist of it is that it was aged on Spanish cedar and there is a long (dumb) story about JC ditching the J Wake crew out in Stonigton one night and them being scared and then deciding to brew this. Not much for ingredients besides notes of dark roast coffee, vanilla and that it pairs well with “spooky tales”

8. parg0

On a dark and stormy August night, the crew from Miami's J. Wakefield brewery arrived for a night's stay at our farm in North Stonington, Connecticut. JC led Jonathan, Maria, and Jack through a field, under the stars, and began to tell a story. As the chilling plot unfolded, the wind picked up and lightning struck in the distance. The J. Wakefield trio became increasingly spooked until, suddenly, after running out of ideas for his fictional tale, JC took off running into the night. Terrified and alone, Jonathan, Jack, and Maria ran to their car, flicked on the headlights, and literally drove out of town.

After spending the night in a nearby hotel and realizing that they had been victims of an eerie prank, the crew decided to head up to our Canton brewery to brew a collaborative spooky stout. Haunted Fields is a massively rich stout with incredible depth of character resulting from time spent aging on Spanish cedar. Enticing aromas reminiscent of a humidor, dark roast coffee, and oak-derived vanilla land gently on the palate. Full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel, Haunted Fields pairs well with hair-raising tales.

9. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (49) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Gonna snag a single bottle online of that today. The J. Wakefield collaborations have always been wonderful.

10. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow, that is a dumb story.

Aaaaand the Stonington farm is just a hang out spot for Trillium and their friends?

11. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (122) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

I don't know about you but non barrel aged stouts for $1/oz is scary.

Jesse14, lic217, dubdrop and 4 others like this.
  12. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (104) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Cringeworthy

13. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts

Not a trillium hater by any means, but i'm kinda glad this stout is lingering around on online sales (or the batch is huge). 26.05 for beer aged for a couple months in stainless, with no particular fancy adjuncts just seems way off the mark to me. Definitely don't wanna see this become the new normal. I resisted the urge, and looks like a few others have as well.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  14. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Pretty sure that's more per ounce than Parabola, a beer which itself doesn't fly off the shelves these days.

15. WTCrane

Not to derail, but It is more, and Parabola is awesome. I would have bought more of it if the stores around me (Marty's, Ft.pt mkt) didn't put limits on it this year. Where are you seeing those sit on the shelf in Mass? I want in. Crazy to see now days.

I grab those shelf turd stouts whenever I see them. I was out by Fitchburg the other day and saw almost 6 cases of '18 BCBS at Kappy 's, bottles were marked at 10.99. Bought a few, but didn't go crazy with '19 version and variants out in a month. Would not mind scoring a couple Parabola.

#1215 WTCrane, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  16. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Gordons in Watertown. There's some gems lurking on those shelves.

WTCrane likes this.
  17. WTCrane

Nice, I know just the spot. Used to be my go to store when I was making the Brookline to Waltham commute daily for work.

18. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

description for Haunted says aged on cedar- are we thinking that means staves of cedar wood, or barrels made of cedar? I am more interested in anyone's take on the Wild Sinister Kids . variants. Anyone try one of those yet?

#1218 thedaveofbeer, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  19. bring

bring Initiate (85) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

Any parking at the Fenway location? Guessing not.

20. DrewLS

DrewLS Initiate (148) Oct 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

There is a parking garage at Landmark Center that's pretty reasonably priced. And if you go into Time Out Market they'll validate it for you so it's a few bucks cheaper. Trillium might be able to validate, too.

21. BAllen88

BAllen88 Initiate (27) Oct 23, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Went to their anniversary event tonight, thought Haunted on draft was good. Cedar didn’t have a strong pretense, maybe a slight herbal quality but after a few sips you couldn’t really tell. I thought it was very well balanced, thick mouthfeel and the coffee wasn’t bitter which isn’t the case in all of the Trillium stouts (e.g. Souflee) . I got a bottle but won’t be clinging to it

22. DrewLS

Trader

Off topic theory: Trillium, Other Half, and Veil are plotting to join forces and take over the Northeast as the craft market continues to contract.

Geographically it makes sense. None of the current or future locations are in conflict with one another and it'd give the combined entity a massive footprint. I'm not sure how distributorship laws work in each state but Trillium, for example, could pull a Night Shift and start their own distribution arm and add OH and Veil into their portfolio - and perhaps the others could do the same.

- OH in NYC, Rochester, and Brooklyn
    - Trillium in Boston, greater and proper, and CT
    - Veil in VA

These guys have been brewing together and screwing around for years and know each other's businesses well at this point.

And who knows - maybe JWB is a fringe play, too, giving them access to a southern market that'd let them all expand north.

hopley likes this.
  23. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

So we're doing fanfic here now? Cool.

24. bring

bring Initiate (85) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

Thanks. Should have been more specific.

Any options to park for a quick in/out can pick up?

25. DrewLS

Trader

@BRYeleJR Hadn't heard the term fanfic - but seems like a term one would use only if they're into writing or reading fanfic. So since I now know youre a fanfic fan, you're welcome for my post.

joberlander likes this.
  26. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (51) May 27, 2016 New York

Quick question: I am visiting from out of town and have a few hours of down time thie Friday night (Nov 1). When you say "final days" does this mean it closes for the winter? Can't seem to see anything online.. Also, is it possible to bring in casual food?

Thanks!

27. BAllen88

Trader

It closed last weekend (for the winter and spring)

ScottKramer likes this.
  28. WTCrane

The Greenway is closed for the Winter. Its an outdoor tap space they occupy like May to mid/end of October. If you go to Fort Point no food is allowed (Its their restaurant). But Canton definitely allows ByoF, and Fenway probably allows you to bring food, but don't quote me on that, Ive not gotten to the Fenway location yet.

Those guest stouts they had at the Greenway were not tapped at any of the full time locations unfortunately if that was the draw to the beer garden. But plenty of good beer at the other locations.

29. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I imagine they are content to drop 22 dollar/4pack collabs and 26 dollar collab stouts

30. mcjlm

mcjlm Initiate (22) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts

you can confirmed bring your own food into fenway.

i made my first trip to canton ever last weekend, the half pour option is so great and i wished all the locations did it.

WTCrane and spersichilli like this.
  31. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (84) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Trillium/JWB OTP

32. parg0

I've only had the Sour Cherry/Malbec one and its super tasty. A step above their Fated Farmer/Super Soak stuff IMO (though it should be given the wine/bourbon barrels). Definitely recommend.

thedaveofbeer likes this.
  33. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (49) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Definitely a little miffed by the $26 price tag, but the one bottle of Haunted Fields I enjoyed last night with my wife was pretty damn tasty. Would snag more bottles if it was a little cheaper. The coffee and vanilla was fantastic and not overbearing like some pastry stouts can be.

34. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (363) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

So with all the discussions on Haunted Fields and whatever new collab stout is being released, it got me thinking. Why do they keep coming out with new stouts, instead of remaking the most popular ones (minus the PM Dawn variants). I personally would love a 2nd batch of Tiramisu, Affogato, or PERM 57, and would buy them every time. Is it because they think the "hype" will die off and more people will rush to buy a new beer? That's the only reason I can think of. Anyways, I just really want perm 57 available all the time.

StoutElk_92 and parg0 like this.
  35. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (51) May 27, 2016 New York

When it says its for sale at fenway, is that for people who walk up or for pre-orders only?

36. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (236) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

If it's listed on the website I assume it's still available for walk-up purchases. Haunted Fields didn't have the hype that some prior releases have had, but it certainly has the elevated price tag.

ScottKramer likes this.
  37. BAllen88

Trader

Pre-orders appear on the shop section of their website. If you’re looking at available bottles for specific locations then it should be for sale in person

ScottKramer likes this.
  38. BAllen88

Trader

yea it was good on draft, but didn’t blow me away.

ScottKramer likes this.
  39. BAllen88

Trader

I was noodling on this one too recently, and thought one reason for the exclusivity could be to drive more hype for events. Their anniversary event last winter was a huge draw for me because I knew I was going to get access to BA Affogato and permutation 109, among some others. If these were available more regularly I’d be less inclined to show up for a Trillium-centered event.

just another angle that occurred to me

joberlander likes this.
  40. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think you answered your own question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.