Trillium Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by SnugTeam6, Jan 3, 2019.

1. abagofit

abagofit Initiate (167) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Wow cycle went from #2 to not on the list. . What happened?

2. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (434) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Doug killed the secondary market on his beers

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  3. parg0

parg0 Initiate (45) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

First time I've had DDH Congress in quite a while and seems so much sweeter than I remember. Softer too, but not worth the trade off. It's still decent, but not the memorable treat I recall.

4. folkstar

folkstar Initiate (129) Sep 28, 2017 Rhode Island
    Trader

Congrats to them, but the new fermentation profile is still a terrible, saccharine-sweet, muddled flavor mess with no singular hop flavors . What once excited me about their beers has been lost, in the name of - what, exactly - “soft mouthfeel” (which seems to actually translate to unbearable bubblegum/buttery sweetness)?? Or is it JC and the quality team’s vague and self congratulatory determination that “this is better” and represents their evolution to blah blah blah blah blah....

OnlyTheFinest and invertalon like this.
  5. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,190) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

I had all those beers and thought they were good and fine to drink. I don’t think the Congress Street was bad. I had it last week again and it had the typical clementine orange citrus peach notes, still juicy, wasn’t too malty or peanuty or buttery or whatever people say. I don’t know about flabby I guess that is a mouthfeel thing. It didn’t really taste like “old” Congress Street but I still thought it was good to drink and the person who I had it with thought it tasted good too.

6. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (257) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

say hello to the new/trerrible fermentation profile

7. mattinmass

mattinmass Initiate (39) Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts

picked up the Galaxy DH Fort Point last week as well as Vicinity and neither is tasting as good as I remember...was thinking it may just be my palate, but maybe not?

sad rea;;y

8. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Initiate (63) Jul 27, 2014 Massachusetts

I've been harping on the new fermentation profile being shit, but the fanbois are too willing to accept whatever Trillium pumps out. I literally have cut my Trillium spending to 0 from a high amount since right after the change.

I really wish people would band together to force a change (ala wage/hour issue) but it wont happen. Too many people rating these things 5 stars fire based on name alone.

9. djbrown13

djbrown13 Initiate (197) Jul 19, 2012 Massachusetts

I haven't spent a cent at Trillium since the wage dust-up, after being a very regular customer for years. This isn't so much a boycott, but stepping back for a bit at that time gave me a chance to really consider my Trillium habit. Given the fermentation change (for the worse, in my opinion) and my overall perception of their business and methods it became very obvious that there was no longer any reason to spend premium dollars on their products.

No matter who you are or your budget you can only drink so much beer. Not buying Trillium has allowed me to try so many other things, the majority of which have been better (again, in my humble opinion) and less expensive. Is it possible something will change my mind in the future? Of course. But for now and the foreseeable future Trillium will just be a memory of what once was. Hubris run amok.

10. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (35) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

Has anyone tried the Lock and Key? How does it stack up next to a recent batch of Fort Point?

11. tgould55

tgould55 Initiate (32) Jan 24, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've had a very similar experience, though I stopped going to Trillium long before the wage debacle.

To be honest, I'd rather sit down with a 6-pack of Fort Hill Fresh Pick than the majority of Trillium's hop-forward beers. I would still go occasionally for Fort Point 4-packs, but I've even tapered off doing that.

Smokee, Davl22, SABERG and 1 other person like this.
  12. StoutElk_92

I had both of the Lock & Keys, first one on draft, and thought they were good. I still have a can left of the new IPA. It has pretty clean hop notes, bright profile and maybe a bit drier feeling. A little honey/bready sweetness underneath maybe. I’d probably still take Fort Point over it but it’s something different and maybe a bit less muddled to the folks who aren’t liking the new fermentation profile. It may be “gluten-reduced” but it tastes like a fine IPA to me.

13. robo55

robo55 Initiate (59) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

You’re crazy if you think mettle on the new fermentation profile isn’t better than the old.

14. folkstar

Trader

Heavy Mettle on the other hand has become undrinkable; no hop flavors of any kind, just the taste of jolly ranchers and garlic cloves . Drain pour, just like most of their other flagships

OnlyTheFinest likes this.
  15. StoutElk_92

I kind of feel bad for the people that taste these things. I can agree that the Heavy Mettle wasn’t as good as old, but I certainly didn’t think it tasted like jolly ranchers or garlic. It was smoother and maybe less pungent and robust if I remember correctly. Less intense, which to some is a good thing.

chipawayboy and mdbeerguy like this.
  16. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (329) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

This is an argument that's definitely worth having.

Also, Trillium has never been particularly consistent. I feel like the whole "fermentation profile" thing, while no doubt significant, has become a catch-all for complaints about their beer. Too sweet? It's the new fermentation. Texture off? It's the fermentation. Shards of glass at the bottom of the can? Goddamn London III, it's always doing that shit...

#136 oldbean, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  17. folkstar

Trader

And what’s worse is that the beautiful and unique flavors of Columbus and galaxy have faded away and are nowhere to be seen, even in Congress street. So sad, since those flavors are what captivated me initially.

18. folkstar

Trader

I disagree somewhat: I found it much More bitter and less smooth...I agree on the less pungent , which is what I think is such a loss, the galaxy and Columbus combo is so delicious in nose and taste and to lose it is, well, a loss. Feels like one of the defining trillium characteristics is just gone

invertalon and nolanz14 like this.
  19. StoutElk_92

I can understand this complaint, and I’ve been saying the same thing and mentioning it to some people that I drink with. It’s not just them, I think that some of the hops just aren’t as good as year’s past. I’ve had beers from other breweries too that I thought didn’t taste like I expected based on hops from year’s past. I feel like Citra is more dank this (last grown) year, and mosaic is more earthy, galaxy isn’t as fruity or something. It’s almost like some of the hops they got aren’t quite up to recent year’s par. Part of the natural product phenomenon I suppose. It’s grown naturally and the weather and environment, and processing etc can contribute to the hop’s overall quality and outcome. Maybe the hops they picked weren’t as good for this year, who knows? I still don’t think the beers are that bad, just different. I guess that’s a result of relying on so much hop flavor in your beer.

20. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (257) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think slight differences from batch to batch are completely different from the fermentation profile issues that I and others have been complaning about. Some of these beers are just not the same.

folkstar likes this.
  21. StoutElk_92

I agree the beers are different with the new fermentation profile, I just don’t think the beers are that bad now. I still prefer the old versions though.

22. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Aspirant (212) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Trader

Gross af list

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  23. 7irondave

7irondave Devotee (469) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agree 100% . . . who TF is 'The Kernel Brewery?'

24. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (35) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

Good to know. I'll be picking up a four pack for my wife.

I'm digging this latest batch of DDH Congress St. I think its bursting with what I perceive to be very ripe pineapple and tropical fruits. It has a lot in common with current Treehouse Green and all of the other 2019 Galaxy beers from other brewers. I wouldn't say it tastes the same as what I remember of the original DDH/SH congress, but it's very good. There's still a touch of greenness/hop burn but I think that will fade in a day or two. It's nothing like the DDH Congress I had in late 2018 that was all burn and greenness without any fruit.

In general the new ferm profile makes the street beers feel heavier, harsher and a bit more boozy, and perhaps less malt flavor. That said I think the biggest issue with recent batches of Congress St up until now was the 2018 crop of galaxy.

25. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,001) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Seriously? It's a very well known brewery in London.

26. 7irondave

7irondave Devotee (469) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'll take your word for it

AirBob likes this.
  27. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (162) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Anyone crack a can of Scaled Way up? I am debating on posting a trade for some, but all the negativity lately is bumming me out. I haven't had any Trillium beers for a few months, but I am inclined to doubt the worst of the criticisms. However, BA is my go to for beer advice, so I take comments here with weight.

28. MrEff

MrEff Initiate (33) Mar 21, 2017 Massachusetts

It's Heavy Mettle, its supposed to be the most intense, the most pungent, the most robust. It used to be all those things. It no longer is. That sucks.

Capt_Quint and StoutElk_92 like this.
  29. StoutElk_92

Hopefully the next batch is better.

The beer was great the last couple of years and tomorrow’s batch should be tasty as well. It’s one of their most hoppy beers.

30. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (458) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

I’m in same exact boat

31. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (112) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

It's being released today so no cans yet.

Scaled Way Up B1 was at the top of trilly hoppy beers for me. Unfortunately B2 last year did not live up to how I remembered it. Makes the decision easy for today. :grin:

OnlyTheFinest and dubdrop like this.
  32. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (264) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Yeah but the people who haven't even heard of a brewery are the experts on them being good or not. That is just obvious. And what is an English brewery doing on Best Breweries in the World? London isn't even in America!!1!

33. parg0

parg0 Initiate (45) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

FYI looks like both locations have bottles of BA Affogato to drink on-site today.

34. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (36) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts

Their hype machine is in full tilt the last few days, all jazzed up for EBF I suppose? I’m going to brave these ridiculous temps and wander down to Fort Point at some point today to give Scaled Way Up a go

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  35. 9percenthurdle

9percenthurdle Initiate (24) Sep 6, 2018 Massachusetts

Echoing djbrown13's sentiment, I haven't been to Trillium since paygate, but will try and make it out to try the new PM Dawn variant and Scaled Way Up. Frankly if the issues outlined extensively here emerge with Scaled Way Up I probably won't make a trip for another 6-12 months as I have shifted to making more regular trips to Portland ME and TH instead and been quite pleased with the pivot thus far.

djbrown13 likes this.
  36. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (205) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

BA Affogato for on site at canton right now. I’ll be here til 2 if anyone wants to split a bottle.

37. StoutElk_92

Scaled Way Up is drinking really good I think, a little green maybe ensuring it stays fresh in the coming weeks. Extremely hoppy like usual similar to Headroom, I might even like this better. Nice Nelson grape notes with tropical Galaxy and dank citrusy Mosaic. Real smooth, not too sweet or thick, doesn’t seem like the muddled new fermentation profile type of thing. One of my favorite beers.

Coconut PM Dawn is really good too imo. Their new cold brew coffee blend is really nice, even if a bit overpowering sometimes, and the toasted coconut is huge in the taste. Pretty sweet but nicely balanced with big bold flavors. Probably my favorite variant so far of PM Dawn. Really liking it.

38. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (162) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Glad to hear it- I ended up trading to get 2 cans of Scaled Way Up- The hop combo is definitely one of my favorites, so hopefully it will be a winner.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  39. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (201) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Went there last night for trivia. First time in a while. Coconut PM Dawn was nice. Resolution Break was way too sweet. And the rest of the IPAs obviously drinkable, but still way too sweet. Some people might like the "juiciness" but ultimately I still want to feel like I'm drinking a beer and not literal juice.

40. CraigMack61

CraigMack61 Aspirant (286) Oct 4, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Any update on crowd at Canton today?