Trillium Brewing Company (August 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewLS

DrewLS Zealot (500) Oct 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Trillium crew dominated today. Parking situation combined with the weather was a mess but once queued up everything was smooth and quick.

And Headroom is the best I can remember in a long while.

From service to new and refreshed beers Trillium is really impressing me right now and I feel the same way about them now as I did when they opened. Kudos to the entire crew.

2. gbiello

gbiello Savant (1,197) Oct 23, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Glad to hear it went well and v2018 is great. I've never seen a line anywhere remotely like that at Trillium. My friend and I saw it and kept on going. Fortunately my brother will be able to get some from a contact of his.

3. Rysk22

Rysk22 Savant (1,216) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

We’re shitting on growlers now?

Yeah it was a mess but moved fairly quickly. At least you could wait with a pour inside. Unfortunately that cluster is what happens when they announce it a day early...

Pudgemaster likes this.
  4. BigStein88

BigStein88 Savant (1,035) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

I'm not sure I understand why some people keep saying it was a mess? I was in Fort Point, not Canton, but there it was just a line that moved fairly quickly. Yes, lines are not fun, but neither are they new.

The announce vs. don't announce argument has gone on forever it seems. Sure, you don't announce and it is great for those that already planned to go or are close by but by announcing they may get the beer into the hands of people that would not have been there but maybe wanted to try it for awhile. Always winners and losers in all scenarios. As I said, I just happened to be in town, good I got to try a Trillium beer I have not had before, not so good as my wife and I expected to be able to walk in and out when we headed down on Friday. Personally, I don't worry at all about missing out on a Trillium beer as they just keep expanding and will for sure make it again.

AirBob likes this.
  5. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Pooh-Bah (1,774) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Pretty much this. The only aggravation in whalez world is when, for example, Tree House releases a hyped beer with a 2-4 can limit on a Tues/Wed and it's a guaranteed shitshow the rest of the week. Other than that, I just have to wait a day or two until a limited beer sells out to be able to walk into most of our popular local breweries and once again pick up their rotationals with minimal wait.

hazymcjooceface likes this.
  6. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

yes, I'm shitting on growlers. They're fine for your 5 barrel brewers operating out of the garage. When you've got a huge brewhouse and a state of the art canning line they're a joke. Hey guys here's the same liquid at the same cost per ounce except you pay for the vessel, which you have to buy from us, and you're responsible for maintaining it, oh and the seal isn't nearly as good as the stuff we package so make sure you drink it in the next week or so, and all of it, and they're a pain to transport and handle. But look how down to earth we are.

I get there's a market and it probably makes sense for certain beers. With headroom which you're guaranteed to sell out of everything you package in a day or two, I just don't get why you'd want to take another few hundred cases worth of it and reserve it for growlers. Other than getting sad sacks to buy growlers.

Re: announcing. Obv makes sense from a business standpoint (look how much non-headroom stock they churned through yesterday) and I think it's fairer in general for the consumer. Everyone knows what's what going in. The shitshow will happen regardless and over-reliance on the silent release makes it even worse (see: Monson-era TH). Might as well know it up front and decide for yourself if it's worth it to you.

Brian_Lynch, jaysker95 and dental like this.
  7. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Zealot (709) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

This may be a dumb question but when they say on their Twitter a beer is sold out “for the day”
    Does that mean it will be restocked the following day? Sometimes they just say “sold out”. Is their a difference?

8. DrewLS

Trader

More often than not, sold out for the day does mean sold out, but there are also times where they'll say sold out for the day then replenish the next day. So, probably not giving you a ton of clarity but good luck nonetheless.

9. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Zealot (709) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

I appreciate the response, said yesterday seesaw was “sold out for the day” but my buddy grabbed it today, so that one was replenished. Who knows but it worked out, dropped it off with a growler of headroom I can’t wait to crack

10. Rysk22

Trader

What Drew said^^ You’ll know it’s definitely sold out for good if they put out tweets for both Canton and Fort Point

11. BigStein88

BigStein88 Savant (1,035) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

Interesting take on the growlers and I can see your point. Me, I enjoy having them once in awhile. Of course, I did buy mine way back when Trillium first opened so no cost to me now and I can grab some beers I might not otherwise get. I am sure this is not the case with a beer like Headroom but perhaps it makes some of the other beers stick around a bit longer as others feel like you do and don't want to buy or deal with growlers. If so, then that could be considered a nod to their long time customers, but I have no idea.

12. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Growlers aren't nearly as much of a hassle as some people make them out to be, nor a hazard to the integrity of the beer if handled properly. The tiny upfront cost of purchasing one is quickly swamped by the cost of the beer, anyone who's complaining about cost should probably just avoid Trillium entirely. And, they're super efficient/environmentally friendly/they don't make any trash. I would imagine that the people who use growlers at Trillium are among their oldest, best, most frequent customers, so setting aside small portions of limited beers for those people seems entirely reasonable to me.

If you're annoyed by having to buy one because it's the only way to obtain a beer you just HAVE to have, check your FOMO.

13. oldbean

Anyone tried the current batch of Apricot Stonington? I've kind of been resisting make the trip/spending the money, but even after the Headroom release it's STILL THERE and I'm not sure I can continue to hold out.

I had either the first or second batch and it was absolutely top shelf, but I know there's been some inconsistency with the sour/wild stuff.

14. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I think these are fair points, and like I said in my rant that both A) there's obv a market for it and B) it makes sense for some beers.

It still makes zero sense for the hyped, rare beers like Headroom. The growler supply kicked within a couple hours of the cans selling out. This wasn't some extra supply that found its way to their oldest, best, most frequent customers. It made its way to people who were in line or on their way to Trillium when the cans kicked. It then slowed down lines.

15. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

off topic, double see saw is one step closer to veil level goses, love it.

Phreeballing likes this.
  16. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,463) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Quick question, couldn't find their growler policy on their website. Will they fill any growler/growlette, or only their own branded stuff? TIA

17. colby600

colby600 Pooh-Bah (1,919) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

jakecattleco likes this.
  18. PourMeAMischiefBrew

PourMeAMischiefBrew Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2017 Massachusetts

I don't remember how it stacks up to their older batches, but I opened a bottle on Friday and found it bracingly sour right out of the fridge. It got a bit more balanced as it warmed, but all in all it reminded me why I don't often buy Trillium wild bottles. All acid and fruit, no funk, no balance. Not my jam but if that's your style you'll love it.

Pete_Gill likes this.
  19. oldbean

Bummer, that's what I was worried about. Oh well, I guess it's back to Crooked Stave for me.

soheadyithurts likes this.
  20. kvgomps

kvgomps Maven (1,330) Feb 10, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

For anyone looking to get drunk off a single beer, Area Four in Cambridge weirdly has 32 oz pours of Perm 52. I asked twice if that was correct before opting for the 10oz. I think the bottle tastes boozier/more flavorful (could also just be a function of timing/palate) but draft was still very good. Also strangely only $1/oz.

21. Jssouder

Jssouder Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2011 Pennsylvania

Does anyone remember how quickly the PM Dawn w/ peanut butter sold out last time?

spersichilli likes this.
  22. Rysk22

Trader

Last time it was a small batch, limited one 4-pack per person and I believe it didn't last the day. I'd assume this will last at least a day hopefully. Limits would make me think it was a big batch. Hopefully the throw out a warning tweet if supply gets low

23. TheBirdSanc

TheBirdSanc Initiate (0) May 23, 2012 Massachusetts

line update down at Fort Point?

24. DrewLS

Trader

I just stopped by and it was empty.

25. Mattk24

Mattk24 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2018 Massachusetts

Anyone have a line update in Canton?

26. Rysk22

Trader

At 3:45 there was no line

27. Axic10

Axic10 Maven (1,350) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm heading up to Boston for work tomorrow and am staying at the Fairmont Copley Plaza, which looks to be about 2 miles from the Fort Point location. What is the parking like for that location? Is it usually pretty quick in and out due to no drafts?

28. runpmc007

runpmc007 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Massachusetts

All street parking. Can be hit or miss depending on what's going on in the city. Should be easy in and out unless a rare beer drops.

Axic10 likes this.
  29. 7irondave

7irondave Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Night & Day on draft with no bottle release.

Variant in the (near) future?

30. NEbrewLife

NEbrewLife Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2017 Massachusetts

Anyone have any insight on how well PB PM Dawn ages? I got a few cans today and just want to make sure I drink them/ share with friends before they fall off too much. Anyone hang on to the last batch for more than a couple of months?

31. Rysk22

Trader

I still have a can of the last batch. I’ll crack it over the next few days and report back

7irondave likes this.
  32. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

Probably a while. Saw someone online today that did a side by side of the last batch with today’s and they said the last batch was significantly better. More PB flavor and a more substantial and creamy looking head. Initial reviews of today’s cans aren’t quite as promising as the first batch.

33. Worcester90

Worcester90 Initiate (0) May 9, 2017 Massachusetts

Did not crack the new batch yet, but had batch 1 yesterday and can confirm it held up well. Coffee may have faded a little bit, but the PB seems to have gotten even better, and it seems less sweet. I'd say it's even better now than it was in April.

34. NEbrewLife

NEbrewLife Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2017 Massachusetts

Yeah, I cracked a can last night and it seemed noticibly less peanut buttery. More of a peanutty/ nutty... if that makes sense. Like a spoon full of PB versus a handful of peanuts. Of course I only had batch 1 on draft, once in canton. Still one of my favorite non BA stouts trillium has made, but probably a small notch below the last batch

35. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

That's interesting. I was hanging out in fort point market after picking up cans some people were saying that the flavor drops off pretty quickly, but i'm inclined to believe you over them.

36. Worcester90

Worcester90 Initiate (0) May 9, 2017 Massachusetts

Decided to open a b2 just now for comparison. There is definitely more coffee, but that’s to be expected. I am noticing less PB this time around off the bat. It’s also a little sweeter and thinner than I remember it being when fresh. It’s still very good. I’ll let them age a bit and see if it morphs more into b1.

37. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

There’s a lot next close to the brewery, and a garage on Sleeper street adjacent to the brewery

38. Vicirus

Vicirus Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I believe they used dehydrated PB in batch 1 which resulted in a more concentrated flavor, but also a very low yield. I wouldn’t be surprised if they switched to actual PB for this batch. Having missed b1, I don’t have a basis for comparison, but I did enjoy it quite a bit and found it very drinkable. For pure flavor, I’d take other PB stouts such as PB Stay Puft and Yellow Belly over this, but those are pricier and heavier.

39. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

They definitely use peanut flour in their Pb beers (talked to JC at the field trip about I️t) along with other sources of PB

40. wasatchback

wasatchback Maven (1,438) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

You can’t use actual Peanut Butter in a beer, there’s too much oil. It would never form a head. Peanut Butter Flour and Extracts are the only way I’ve seen to actually get peanut butter flavor in beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.