Trillium Brewing Company - December 2014

Discussion in 'New England' started by MattOC, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berman1125

Berman1125 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 Connecticut

Making a Boston trip Saturday. Really hoping to be able to stop by

2. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,388) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Classic!!

LeeMarvin and AirBob like this.
  3. dubdrop

dubdrop Zealot (581) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

wow, just took a look at the available bottle list. can't wait for the reopening so I can stock up. There's a bunch that I have yet to try.

4. pavement714

pavement714 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 Massachusetts

With both the retail shop and store shipments halted, I'd like to recommend another local-ish double IPA that surprised and impressed me in its flavor last night: Brewmaster Jack Hoppiness is a Warm Pun. Bottled 2 weeks ago. Can't wait to support Trillium when they reopen!

mpyoung215 and Leebo like this.
  5. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Hope everything works out JC, I'm starting to get the sweats at night without my Congress St fix. But don't worry, I'm still setting up trades to get the name across all of USA. And when you do open, I am sure I will be dropping a HUGE amount of money on Melcher, Congress, Fort Point, and anything else. Especially that Night and Day stout that sounds delicious! I am sure everyone will be in to get you guys back on your feet! No way a great business like this can go down, even if it has to deal with the bullshit of Boston politics! Cheers!

jrnyc, Guzzle_McBrew and MASSHLE like this.
  6. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

This conspiracy theory shit cracked me up so hard, and from a guy with a 420 handle nonetheless. Thank you for a good laugh!

7. MEBully

MEBully Initiate (50) Nov 13, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm in a really bad place. My head is completely f'd up. I've got 4 CSIPA, 4 DDHFPPA, 2 Mettle and 2FPPAs left. I've got a powerful thirst, but want to save them. But they're all about 8-10 days old. So I gotta drink them. But I don't want to. WTF!!! This sucks. Come on Gummint. Give us back our beer.

8. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (436) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Maybe we need to set up a demonstration or something at the brewery. How is this travesty going unreported in the local/regional media??

MattXT and MASSHLE like this.
  9. bkabak

bkabak Initiate (44) Dec 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

I was wondering this too. No intrepid local Boston news outlet has picked up this story yet.

10. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (49) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

Because maybe they did fuck up somehow?

a74gent likes this.
  11. twizzard

twizzard Defender (681) May 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

I'm going south for Christmas and I need to bring some Congress Street & FPPA that I've been raving about for months. Fingers crossed!

12. chipawayboy

Trader

[​IMG]
    Yes -- let's stick our head in the sand and hope it all blows over. Brother -- this is my last Mettle! Desperate times call for desperate measures. If the infraction is legit/serious -- it's better to get it reported. Btw -- You really this us 10 beer geeks can keep this under wraps?

13. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (523) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Actually, I think that what the media is supposed to do. Hank Investigates!!

14. chipawayboy

Trader

Dude. How to hoard all the Trillium brews. You've got a week plus supply -- some of us are out (or almost out) and jonesing for a fix.

15. chipawayboy

Trader

Bum -- if you don't mind me asking -- how do you acquire Trillium brews in Lesotho?

16. Loblaw

Loblaw Initiate (42) Mar 14, 2012 Massachusetts

Gary Dzen from the Globe did talk about it a little on Twitter today (@GaryDzen), but doesn't seem to have any details. From his feed...

Lots of people asking why @trilliumbrewing has been closed, and my unsatisfying answer is I really don't know.

Owner JC Tetreault wrote that the brewery had a visit from the ABCC. An industry source confirms the visit, but couldn't provide details.

.@trilliumbrewing owner JC Tetreault hopes to open soon. Tells me, "We really don't know much, which is the tough part."

MASSHLE likes this.
  17. MASSHLE

MASSHLE Initiate (100) Jun 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Something smells fishy over there, and its not just Row34!

18. codasnap52

codasnap52 Devotee (497) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut
    Society

My girlfriend went home to Boston for Thanksgiving and was planning to visit the brewery and load up on some goodies (esp the Stonington!). We were both pretty disappointing that they closed just when she was going to visit for the first time. I've been a fan of their beers and from what I've heard these guys are good citizens in the Boston craft beer scene. But as someone in this thread noted earlier, we should continue to hold off all judgement until we learn more about whats going on. As someone who has dealt with numerous red tape with gov't and business, there's a good chance they got shut down for some BS reason. Likewise, they also could be closed due to a major infraction of their own doing. Its tough to say right now and I hope we get some answers soon and this blows over quickly. I will not go so far as to say they have my support no matter what, but if the issue gets resolved in a reasonable fashion we will all be back in droves.

bluehende and sandman3479 like this.
  19. skinny_mcginley

Well, this will be my second weekend of no Trillium growlers to drink. I'm a big guy that needs alot of beer to get a good buzz on. So with that said, what would everyone's second choice be for a nice 64oz IPA or APA growler in the Boston area? Tree House is too far and I'm going next week. I love Whirlpool from Night Shift but the ABV is so low a 64oz last time didn't even get me buzzed. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am lost now without my weekend Trillium growlers.

I have plenty of stouts and porters in the cellar to go to but I love my fresh IPA's and APA's. This is beginning to really hinder my weekend debauchery! :slight_smile:

20. concealed

concealed Aspirant (239) May 7, 2009 Georgia
    Trader

Take a weekend off from drinking perhaps? If not, track down a four pack of Wormtown Be Hoppy or two.

mpyoung215 and jrnyc like this.
  21. Rekrule

Rekrule Defender (643) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Just add a whiskey sidecar to the beer you drink. Buzz problem solved.

Also:
    Cheers to the irrelevant screen name. :wink:

jlordi12 likes this.
  22. skinny_mcginley

Started a whole business off my nickname. Not So Skinny BBQ. Because Skinny BBQ would attract the wrong crowd. Haha.

Blasphemy!

Pahn and Rekrule like this.
  23. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (219) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Those sauces sound good! Wish I had outdoor space and a grill.

skinny_mcginley likes this.
  24. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

Great point. Trillium is awesome, but this is a good time to remember that there are plenty of excellent breweries in the area. For example, if you haven't had Hofmann double pale ale from Enlightenment/Idle Hands, you're missing out. It's fantastic and only available on tap in bars or in growlers from the brewery (3 Charlton St #4, Everett, MA). Here's everything currently pouring at the brewery: www.twitter.com/idlehandsbeer/status/540618034747285504/photo/1

25. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (266) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Enlightenment Hofmann is ridiculously good. Might have to get a growler tomorrow.

26. ljkeats

ljkeats Zealot (543) Jun 27, 2007 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

Try their new Munich Dark Lager "Brunhilda" and the Dortmunder Lager "Klara" while there too.
    This place is so underrated, especially since the Enlightenment merger...

woodfinish and mpyoung215 like this.
  27. chipawayboy

Trader

All due respect -- a Munich Dark Lager is about as far from the Trillium lexicon as one could get-- and the last thing I want as I'm jonesing for a double dry hopped Melcher St......

twizzard likes this.
  28. Rekrule

Rekrule Defender (643) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Yeah man. Screw good beers, I only care about hops. :rolling_eyes:

ljkeats and chipawayboy like this.
  29. scotorum

scotorum Poo-Bah (1,619) May 28, 2013 Massachusetts

The main reason I came to this thread was that I was wondering what Trillium had available this weekend because I was considering a visit. A bummer they are closed, and I share the pain evident here.

For those suffering from withdrawal from a lack of Trillium, would it be blasphemous to suggest a weekend visit to Framingham a half hour west of Boston for Jack's Abby stuff? Or if you have another hour of free time, a carpool to Tree House tomorrow? They have Haze DIPA and Green as well as Double Shot Coffee Stout for growler fills, open 11-6.

If you have a whole weekend to blow, Hill Farmstead is open Saturday 12-5, just a few more or less short hours northwest, and they currently have Abner, Double Citra, Edward, Nelson Single Hop and Harlan on tap for fills.

Also, as someone above already suggested, Wormtown Be Hoppy, which has been described as Massachusetts's Heady, is out again today in stores in some quantity. I just got me some more this afternoon.

I have yet to try any Trillium anything, but I am nonetheless a reasonably happy beer geek. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

jomobono likes this.
  30. schinebd

schinebd Disciple (350) Feb 11, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Seems like I can't go a week without reading about how some large company has defrauded investors or jilted/caused physical harm to consumers and gotten off with little more than a slap on the wrist. Meanwhile, from my experience Trillium has shown nothing but the utmost respect for its customers, demonstrated through their willingness to communicate directly through social media (or right here on BA), or going out of their way to correct any mistakes made by the brewery that have negatively impacted their customers (replacement bottles, etc,...go back and read the threads on this site. The cases are amazing). Not only that, but they bring business to South Boston and support other local businesses; before Trillium I had never heard of Barrington Coffee or thought of going to Row 34. Hell, they even encouraged us to get beer from their direct competition while they are closed.

Trillium is a small business, and being shut down for more than a week has to threaten not only the livelihood of the owners, but of the brewery's ability to continue as a going concern. Whatever infraction they made (inadvertently or not), in my eyes, does not fit the punishment. I mean, what's the worst they could have done? Just my, very subjective, two cents. I wish them the best and hope they are able to re-open soon.

Pahn, sandman3479, jrnyc and 4 others like this.
  31. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (97) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Well said!

It will be a shame if this turns out to be a minor infraction. I don't know if the officials/government realize how detrimental it is to a small business to be shut down for 2 weeks.

Good luck Trillium, we'll be there as soon as you open.

jrnyc, seanwhite and JCTetreault like this.
  32. jujigatame

jujigatame Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2009 Massachusetts

With Hoponius, Mass Rising, Kiwi Rising and trIPL currently running I feel like Jack's Abby can sate several of those seeking fresh local bottles of hops. I know there is the "it's not the same, you don't understand" refrain but lamenting the current absence of one brewery does not change the fact that there are several other local options that you could support in the interim time.

Best wishes to Trillium that their problem is resolved quickly and they can get back to business.

MASSHLE, scotorum and twizzard like this.
  33. Berman1125

Berman1125 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 Connecticut

Anyone still finding bottles in store? Heading to boston today and want to try some trillium for the first time. Be Hoppy is also on my list to try. Staying pretty downtown right next to BU Medical. Any store recs are welcome

34. EnronCFO

Urban Grape in the back bay had a decent amount of bottles mid-week. Not sure if they still do, but worth a stop or call.

35. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,088) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

If you wanted to take a slight detour north to around the 128/93 interchange, Redstones in Stoneham may have some Trillium and Be Hoppy in stock. I'd call first though.

36. doremite

doremite Zealot (518) Jun 21, 2005 Vermont

Worth a call over to Streetcar in Jamaica Plain too. If you have access to a car it's only a 10 minute drive from you. Also, walking distance from Stoney Brook T stop on Orange Line which you are walking distance to.

Been finding fresh Kiwi Rising on tap around town too. Tasting great imho.

Unfortunately, it seems Trillium's concept doesn't fit into MA's convoluted license system. They've been getting stiffed from the get go. Selfish reasons aside, this is complete bs the system would treat a small local business this way. Their presence is great for the Fort Point neighborhood and local economy in general.

jefffalcone likes this.
  37. seanwhite

seanwhite Disciple (369) Jan 31, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Care to elaborate on the issues/reasons they are getting stiffed?

38. chipawayboy

Trader

I was at redstone last night and unless they had stuff in the back -- there was no Trillium anything to be had

39. doremite

doremite Zealot (518) Jun 21, 2005 Vermont

Just referring to the struggles they had early in even being allowed to offer tastings of their beer. They started w 64oz growlers only and seemed crazy to me they weren't allowed to offer a 2oz sample to a potential customer. I am certain they lost a lot of sales early as a result of this restriction. They were forced into only being able to sell 64oz samples!

I should add I am just assuming they didn't do anything agregious and it is just a round peg into a square hole regulation problem. I know enough to strongly doubt they would knowingly do anything to risk their license.

40. EnronCFO

Even so, they chose to open a brewery in the city. Regs are a pain, property is expensive, and there's little to no room to expand. I'm as big a fan as anyone, but it was they choice to open where they did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.