Trillium Brewing Company - December 2014

Discussion in 'New England' started by MattOC, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Thanks for this. Stopped by for the first time today and that Hoffman is unbelievable. I walked out with a tulip and 64o of the Hoff. Place looks like it was in the movie Big Trouble in Little China but the beer was great. And good value. 640z was $20 and a flight of 7 beers was $4. Still hoping Trillium gets back real soon. But this was what I was looking for! Cheers!

huuvola, polishkaz and pehodges like this.
  2. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (938) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

I highly doubt the no sample thing hurt their sales. Things were already extremely successful and growlers sold like crazy before they started offering samples. I'm sure there was a jump in new customers when that happened but its not like they struggling without those people.

3. doremite

doremite Zealot (518) Jun 21, 2005 Vermont

^I would be curious why they pushed so hard for it then. Seems to be a pain to deal with. Stupid to do if not revenue enhancing. I would be surprised if they didn't see a material increase to sales once they started offering samples but of course there are a number of factors to consider. Personaly if no difference to bottom line I would not offer samples especially now that their new bottling line is (was) up and running. Hindsight 20 20 but keeps it cleaner. Zero on site consumption.

#123 doremite, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  4. seanwhite

seanwhite Disciple (369) Jan 31, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ok, Yeah I was aware of the difficulties in opening and navigating the Boston laws around samples, handicap bathroom, etc.. I thought you were implying they had difficulty with the ABCC since then. I hope nothing major occurred, but some type of explanation will be needed from either side for closing this place down for two + weeks during the retail black period.

sandman3479 likes this.
  5. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (272) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Still no news

6. twizzard

twizzard Defender (681) May 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

What ever the violation(s), as long as it wasn't detrimental to the health and well being of the neighborhood or the people of Boston, I'm beyond sickened and pissed at the corrupt powers-that-be to allow a thriving, popular business/employer to be shut down for this length of time. These beaurcrats flex their collective muscles to justify their jobs/salaries and to make themselves feel relevant. Time for another Boston tea party.

Flashy, MASSHLE, chipawayboy and 2 others like this.
  7. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (175) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah, but I don't want to pour Trillium into the water :astonished:

8. twizzard

Trader

I was thinking of dumping the bureaucrats.

9. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,148) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

I was going to be visiting my son in Boston soon. I was hoping we could get to Trillium. At this point I feel I need to know what happened first. I really think no one should be blaming anybody yet. Officials do not shut down businesses for no reason. They also can be a bit overbearing when they think they have someone. The fact that it is serious enough for the owners to remain silent probably due to lawyers recommendation does give me some pause. I will say I am anxious to hear what happened, but do know that it will probably be something that has not even come up in this thread. I really do hope it is a technical issue that is in the process of being resolved and both the brewery and the officials will move on to doing important work.

hopley likes this.
  10. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (378) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think any speculation re: the fairness of the penalty, without having any idea of what the infraction was, is just silly.

I can only presume that to be shut down for 2 weeks - it was something serious. whether or not the penalty is justified - I have no idea and won't have an opinion until we hear the facts from both sides

11. HighLowJack

Trader

I'd only add - 2 weeks of no sales must be pretty devastating to the business. I do love the beer and hope they recover - but at *some* point you have to think the business will reach a breaking point

12. twizzard

Trader

It's been my experience as a business owner (albeit, in NYS) is that the big bad business man is always guilty until proven innocent.

skinny_mcginley likes this.
  13. MASSHLE

MASSHLE Initiate (100) Jun 6, 2014 Massachusetts

night shift is awesome too...great beer and tap room

14. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,116) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

When they do reopen, buy twice as much beer as you normally would. Anyone wants to double up and trade some down this way let me know, they make great beer.

jdunkerley likes this.
  15. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (92) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

I'd say the chances that the reason for this has come up in this thread are just as good as that it hasn't. I am also not leaning towards a feeling that Trillium did anything so wrong that it would "give me pause". Based on what I've heard about the state regulation and enforcement of such I'm more inclined to believe that this is an overblown and possibly political situation, but we won't know until details come out.

jefffalcone likes this.
  16. ChrisInBaltimore

ChrisInBaltimore Initiate (65) Aug 25, 2014 Maryland

Just thinking a little more about their closing and I don't recall seeing them serve any food/ have any snacks on the bar (anyone else, am I just not remembering?). I believe that is a legal requirement for sampling in Massachusetts. I can't believe they would get shut down for that, but who knows with all of the legal loopholes there. Maybe they need to wait for the next scheduled hearing to re-open. Just a thought!

17. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (97) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Has anyone just asked the ABCC?

jrnyc likes this.
  18. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

19. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I've never seen any snacks available at any of the MA breweries that I've been to. Even the ones that serve full pours. I've got no clue what the issue is, but at this point I've got to think that it is pretty serious. I'm no fan of MA bureaucracy, but to keep a business shuttered for this long would have to require some kind of legitimate cause. Otherwise MA is looking at a huge lawsuit from Trillium.

20. Jbrews

Sounds like a "we want you space, our business has shit tons more money, and property owner or someone is trying to squeeze them out" Sad, really good beer.

MASSHLE and LeeMarvin like this.
  21. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (523) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

22. ChrisInBaltimore

ChrisInBaltimore Initiate (65) Aug 25, 2014 Maryland

I can't find them listed has have a current license, that must be it! I just saw the hearing thing too.

23. HighLowJack

Trader

how in the world did you jump to these conclusions?

you are completely ignoring the possibility that Trillium actually did something wrong?

again, I don't know but jumping to guesses with literally zero facts is a fools errand

Pwbres likes this.
  24. Jbrews

I'm trying to be positive that it isn't their fault and will be resolved. Looking at it half filled...

25. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,148) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

Some of the other cases listed are very specific as to what the violation is. This does seem to point to a license expiration or not having it in place for some reason. I could see the abcc being very touchy about licensing. It kind of makes sense. I don't think this would hurt Trillium over the long run as long as they are good at communicating with customers it was not a bad violation or some health code problem.

26. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Why the need for radio silence if all we're looking at is some kind of license expiration? None of this makes sense to me. Seems like everyone needs to be a lawyer these days.

codasnap52 and EnronCFO like this.
  27. bkabak

bkabak Initiate (44) Dec 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

It's also hard to believe, based on the sheer number of technicalities in the Chapter 138, that they did anything that would give any of us pause. Without further information from ABCC, though, it's impossible to tell what type of application hearing today's is or what the potential outcomes are.

28. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Read somewhere that with all the laws and regulations now (and more on the way), 70% of Americans are committing crimes they do not even know they are committing. You can follow rules and regs from one authority and be violating the rules and regs of another without even knowing it.

29. skinny_mcginley

skinny_mcginley Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts

I am not even going to begin to try and understand all this, BUT... it's past 11:00, has anyone heard whether or not they were approved?

30. bkabak

bkabak Initiate (44) Dec 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

@JCTetreault Are you at liberty to drop us a hint about the hearing outcome? Good/bad/anything? Hope it went OK...

skinny_mcginley and patrickcmcd like this.
  31. andrewroose

andrewroose Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

This silence is deafening.

32. Jbrews

I feel for them, Everytime I think of them losing $ and days I think about the fact it was him and his wife I would see in there. When you have kids and need to support its scary. Beer is beer, but your income and your life trumps all of that.

Saraw89 likes this.
  33. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (523) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I thought JC kept his full-time day job? Maybe that's changed. I stop in on Friday around opening time about once a month and can't recall ever running into JC or his wife.

That said, I agree with you that this must be awful for them and I hope for their sake and ours that it's resolved quickly.

34. Auror

Auror Defender (607) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've been to an ABCC disciplinary/sentencing hearing, but the establishment didn't have to shut down in the interim. Makes me think it's some sort of improper licensure, since they'd have to close until they could be properly licensed.

35. pehodges

pehodges Initiate (93) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts

As has been mentioned previously in the thread, they don't currently have a license
    http://www.mass.gov/abcc/pdf/forms/activelicenseelist/2014 Farmer Brewer list.pdf
    and the hearing is on the application for a license.
    Not sure what that will mean for continuing operations, fines or the fate of the current inventory.

36. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (354) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm curious why the Globe, the Herald or another outlet hasn't contacted BPD/ABCC and done a story about the Trillium closure. You have a brewery that's regarded as one of the best in the state -- if not the region -- that's closed now for two weeks during Thanksgiving and leading up to the holiday season with little to no explanation as to why other than what JC was able to post here.

Gary Dzen from the Globe tweeted this morning that he reached out and hadn't gotten anything concrete, but knew they were meeting with ABCC soon and was hoping to get an update after that. He added a few days ago that JC told him "We really don't know much, which is the tough part." I assume BPD and ABCC would have to explain what the issue was when meeting with JC, but admittedly, I don't know much about how that works.

I'm hopeful Trillium reopens soon and that JC and Esther can pull through this. They're good people who make a great product at a flourishing small business in Boston -- I'd certainly like to see that continue.

andrewroose and bkabak like this.
  37. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Initiate (102) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

My Stonington is drinking really well right now. Damn, I miss Trillium. I was hoping to hit the brewery hard the last few weeks because I'll no longer be working in the Seaport starting Monday. Oh well. Really sucks and I feel terrible for Esther and JC.

38. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Initiate (102) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

Is the Trillium site down for everyone, or just me?

The site is gone.

39. andrewroose

andrewroose Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

40. bahnfire

bahnfire Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Vermont

yeah, no bueno. Sure it could just be a crazy coincidence, but this doesn't seem like a good sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.