Trillium Brewing Company - December 2014

Discussion in 'New England' started by MattOC, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smashy_smashy

smashy_smashy Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Massachusetts

After being beaten down from the corruption of the City of Boston ~protecting~ me while I've lived and worked there, it is hard not to walk dangerously close to the side of anti-government fringe. Which is why it pains me to admit you are right and to put away my pitchfork. Regardless of where the blame lies, I'm just glad it's not a major health code violation or something similarily damning. I think we can all admit that a 2+ week closure is more than sufficient to sort out this clerical error and it's about time that we should get our asses in their and support this fantastic brewery.

MASSHLE likes this.
  2. stonermouse

stonermouse Devotee (477) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

I'm operating under the assumption that it was a clerical error on the part of ABCC. But, even if it was some sort of clerical error or good-faith oversight by Trillium, a two-plus week closure of a small retail business, especially one with perishable stock, is a devastating punishment for a minor infraction. I just wish common sense and decency were more commonly observed.

scotorum and bkabak like this.
  3. Auror

Auror Defender (607) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah, I'm guessing it's not a punishment as much as because they failed to renew (whatever the cause), they had to essentially re-do the process of applying for a license, which takes time.

4. el_bishop

el_bishop Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2014 Massachusetts

Can they keep brewing but just not selling during this process or is everything on hold? Guessing it may be too risky if there is little certainty about when the process will be resolved.

5. Auror

Auror Defender (607) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Can't legally brew without a license.

6. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (272) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

7. scotorum

scotorum Poo-Bah (1,615) May 28, 2013 Massachusetts

Well said.

LeeMarvin likes this.
  8. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (378) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

agree with this. my sense is that Trillium was not punished for an error but rather closed down b/c they didn't have a license to operate a business, which is not the sort of thing that will be rubber stamped or fast tracked when you've been out of compliance for 11+ months

JrGtr likes this.
  9. shehateme

shehateme Devotee (461) Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hoping this is resolved soon ....when it is don't forget to leave a generous tip for the hardworking trillium crew ....not an easy situation for any of them so close to the holidays

bkabak likes this.
  10. rinhaak

rinhaak Zealot (524) Jun 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Thanks, JC, for finally shedding some light on it. I had heard so many different rumors (ranging from a leaking fermentor to selling beer to underage kids), that it's really good to have some actual news from Trillium itself.

Best of luck sorting this out.

11. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (396) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I hate to say it, but this is no 'minor infraction.' Being unlicensed is a major issue, and regardless what we think about the licensing procedures, organizations and so forth, one needs to go through the process to brew and sell beer.
    Regardless of who dropped the ball, it is still their (Trillium's) responsibility to make sure that everything gets there and processed, and if there is no response once sent, to get on the phone.

Ericness likes this.
  12. MASSHLE

MASSHLE Initiate (100) Jun 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Shit happens, but you are correct.

13. twizzard

twizzard Defender (681) May 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

Amen!

14. stonermouse

Of course you are correct... I would probably sleep with my license if I were a MA brewer and be ready to flash it at any moment. That said, they appear to have been operating in a manner that would have satisfied the requirements of a license, so actually having the piece of paper is pretty moot. And because of that, I think it's draconian to completely shut them down without warning like this. Like I said, a little common sense would go a long way.

twizzard, MattXT and jamvt like this.
  15. ommegoodness

ommegoodness Initiate (114) Apr 21, 2010 Massachusetts

So... when can we get DDH Melcher St?

16. Jbrews

How many days total has it been now?

17. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (338) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Closed early on Tuesday, 11/25. So counting that day until today...it's day 17 or the 13th business day they've been closed.

18. WitteBanter

WitteBanter Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2011 Massachusetts

I understand regulations are in place for a reason- but this is a perfect example of how red tape hurts small businesses grow. They have been losing money for 2 weeks now, all because of a regulation put in place in order to make money for the state. If they want Trillium to pay a fine, charge them already and get on with it. They've proven to be successful, I am quite sure any business in the area would attest to the fact that people have been drawn to the area in part because of Trillium, as well as those bars who are fortunate enough to carry their beer. They had a difficult enough the getting the right licensing and permits over ridiculous laws right from the beginning. If the city wants to attract these businesses, loosen up.

jrnyc and twizzard like this.
  19. HighLowJack

Trader

sucks for the business. I'll be there buying all the Congress St. I can when they open

F2brewers and jrnyc like this.
  20. HighLowJack

Trader

well, that seems like a stretch. I'm sure you understand why licenses need to exist

it's not like the state requires me to have a drivers license b/c they want my $30 or w/e

21. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (338) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Correction (math is hard):

Closed early on Tuesday, 11/25. So counting that day until today...it's day 17 or the 12th business day they've been closed.

eb1610, Mikeypnh and EnronCFO like this.
  22. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (523) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

So, dissecting that post we can summarize as: "I understand regulations are in place for a reason-to make money for the state"

23. WitteBanter

Absolutely, I'm not arguing for "free for all " licensing, for lack of a better phrase. I'm simply saying they could make it a little easier. I believe it took them up to 2 years to simply get the right permits for that location, that isn't exactly the way to encourage growth. A common sense approach, at this point, would benefit both parties.

jrnyc likes this.
  24. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 California

andrewroose likes this.
  25. WitteBanter

Ha, in part yes, in part, no. I'll step off my soapbox though.

26. Brian_Burke

Brian_Burke Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Massachusetts

If money were the sole driver, I would guess, too, that the state would probably make more money if Trillium were producing beer and the state was taxing it.

27. WitteBanter

True, though I imagine you could compare the cost of a "regulated" business to one practicing without a license. But, this isn't the argument. They should be licensed, I'd simply like to see the state make it easier for them to correct their error and continue forth. As I am sure any Trillium drinker can agree. This is all, of course, based on the little we know.

stonermouse and twizzard like this.
  28. Brian_Burke

Brian_Burke Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Massachusetts

Totally with you on that!

29. Jbrews

I don't check anything nor care much what I post. It aint work and I'm not getting paid.

30. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,149) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

I would imagine that everyone claiming that the licensing board is not needed would think differently if a mushroom farm bought the plot of land next to their development and started producing delicious mushrooms and providing jobs. Anyone who does not know what a mushroom farm smells like think cow poop.....very fresh cow poop.

31. Catmandu

Catmandu Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2014 Massachusetts

Thinking of you JC and your "extended family" during this time. Looking forward to the resolution on the 2014 license issue and I do hope the 2015 license gets processed with no issues.

WitteBanter and JCTetreault like this.
  32. greenmtn1111

greenmtn1111 Initiate (143) May 15, 2009 Massachusetts

That would be a zoning issue which is different than licensing.

33. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,149) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

In our state you can be zoned for something and not get a license. This is a real example. Someone zoned for a possible mushroom farm was denied a license because of objections from an expensive development next door.

34. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (134) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow, what a terrible situation. I really hope Trillium comes through this OK in the end and we're all enjoying a dry hopped Renew Your Permits IPA this time next year. I also keep looking at those bottles listed for sale and want to get at them. I really feel for the crew over there, everything about this is awful.

Not sure how it happened (and honestly it's none of our business in a public forum), but I do find it shocking that they made it almost to the end of the year before someone realized the permit wasn't in place from either the brewery or the government side. As someone else pointed out, that is in fact a huge problem and not something the government can ignore or just laugh and say "well you got us this year". I agree the timing of the shut down sucks and feels pretty damn cold-hearted but I don't know the relevant laws enough to know what other options could have legally been on the table.

jrnyc likes this.
  35. Jbrews

Hey I'm just glad JC and Esther weren't clubbing baby seals out of the river to get that magical FPPA flavor they have created or something worse. Mistakes happen, we all want them back up and running.

Better to have an alcohol screw up relating to a business license rather than your driving licences :slight_smile:

MASSHLE likes this.
  36. twizzard

twizzard Defender (681) May 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

Suppose this was the Alchemist. Does anyone here really believe the state of Vermont would shut them down for this long?
    It's very simple...Some states are more business friendly than others. Period.

scotorum and stonermouse like this.
  37. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (102) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Some people here live in some delusional beer world. Trillium is barely a blip on the Massachusetts or Boston economy. Practically irrelevant. Not trying to say anything bad about them. It's just a small company with a small market presence.

MASSHLE and lic217 like this.
  38. Jbrews

I don't think the officials care who or what they are much, and I think they think even less highly when its booze.

MASSHLE and scotorum like this.
  39. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,116) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Not sure of the circumstances, but seems pretty onerous to shut down an already existing brewery with perishable product for a substantial amount of time while this is sorted out.

scotorum and twizzard like this.
  40. stonermouse

The size of the company shouldn't matter a lick. The company is everything to the business owner, and that's who should matter. The state should focus more on making it easier for small businesses to operate, not harder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.