Trillium Brewing Company (November/December 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Nov 1, 2018.

1. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (53) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

Stouts are exempt as they aren’t part of the new fermentation profile. Hence why they still sell out in a day.

2. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (127) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

What if the 'new recipe' is all a ploy to bring back their 'classic' releases to even greater hype?

9percenthurdle and tzieser like this.
  3. tzieser

tzieser Savant (994) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I understand that. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of people bitching about Trillium in general (not only the pale ale fermentation) but then rushing to attend the latest hype release.

yuppiescum likes this.
  4. TileCutter2

TileCutter2 Initiate (13) Nov 20, 2018

You the real MVP! Lol

5. tzieser

Trader

Recognize.:grinning:

Kidding aside, I'm wicked jealous you jerks get to complain about how bad the hazy IPAs are now and can still get world class stouts, sours, etc....Damn I'm homesick.

6. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,035) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Over and over again. Give it a rest.

7. tzieser

Trader

Nobody is forcing you to read, but I play nice. I'll do just that.

8. TileCutter2

All of the concerns we’ve seen from previous employees seem to stem during periods of growth and major change. Most of the time, it’s a joy working for the company. The friendships, the memories, the ability to get every beer released without waiting for it... Trillium is a blast in that regard.
    In the first 2-3 years, internal communications were centered around being part of the team... part of the family. As it got bigger, those emails and the close-knit environment began to vanish. From 10 employees to 30, from 30 to 100, and now who knows. Sure, the business is a gold mine and doing excellent in that regard (to address whomever posted above all over their jock)... but when you reiterate to a 3 year employee that they are family on multiple occasions, then offer to cut their pay in half for doing the same job they’ve been doing, it feels like a slap in the face... and more importantly, that all of their hard work has gone unnoticed.
    THAT is what sucks!

Are we tracking?

9. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (230) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Hill Farmstead’s hoppy beers are otherworldly with the new hops Shaun selected this year.

10. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (193) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Trader

Old head thinks the IPA fermentation profile affects the stouts and still thinks line hype is a thing

tzieser likes this.
  11. tzieser

Trader

Aw shit, that’s even edgier than anything I could come up with. 30 years old and being called an old head. It’s all downhill from here. Good stuff. Even I don’t have a come back for that one. Here, have a like.

12. mattinmass

mattinmass Initiate (34) Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts

Although similar to Congress and Vicinity - this Minot’s Ledge Lighthouse is great!

tzieser and TileCutter2 like this.
  13. 7irondave

7irondave Disciple (382) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

The real bummer for you is the fact that you can't collect unemployment if you quit. The amount of butt hurt coming out of you tells me you were laid off. Which in that case, you can collect.

Things are looking up bud.

TileCutter2 and tzieser like this.
  14. TileCutter2

Sad

15. 7irondave

7irondave Disciple (382) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Cheer up, first round is on me:beers:

16. Hyptochrons

Hyptochrons Meyvn (1,104) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

last batch of double citra i had was mintttt

17. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (496) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Jacks Abby also seems to be getting better and more consistent as they get bigger.

BCHockey, mltobin, Iski100 and 6 others like this.
  18. TileCutter2

Russian Conspiracy Style Stout, uknown ABV, unknown adjuncts, 1 pp, $40 per.

19. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (262) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

You didn't go up for Damon

millionsuns and spersichilli like this.
  20. Hyptochrons

Hyptochrons Meyvn (1,104) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

First Damon release was a shitshow and no i didnt go - second was mellow unless you went Wednesday.

Skwalk47 likes this.
  21. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,647) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

My Super Secret Stairs growler is tasting pretty damn good.

tzieser and buking21 like this.
  22. RyanB31

RyanB31 Initiate (39) May 3, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Fine I'll break the ice...

The new Long Life series looks great, I think I'll buy a bottle.

StoutElk_92 and 9percenthurdle like this.
  23. Todd

Todd Founder (5,608) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

BCHockey and OnlyTheFinest like this.
  24. OnlyTheFinest

Trader

Cracked Permutation Twenty-Three for a special celebration and I have to say... it's amazing

Viscous vanilla body, solid Bourbon flavor. Best stout I've had so far from Trillium

BCHockey and tzieser like this.
  25. ppponte

ppponte Initiate (75) Feb 1, 2010 Massachusetts

Would you say that bourbon flavor was similar to something poured straight into the bottle? Or more so poured directly into the keg?

Too soon?

26. TileCutter2

LOL

fegelFatso and OnlyTheFinest like this.
  27. OnlyTheFinest

Trader

As much as I'd like to run with these jokes, I cannot knock this particular beer.

Tasting so damn good right now - kudos to anyone who still has a bottle.

tzieser, dogdrule and AlcahueteJ like this.
  28. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (90) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

would you say fuck all this bad stuff and just keep buying this particular beer?

29. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (57) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey

Too bad Crickets has already been used to name another brewery's beer.

bryantc3, OnlyTheFinest and rozzom like this.
  30. Dave_32

Dave_32 Initiate (62) Apr 7, 2015 Massachusetts

Any truth to the Permutation 32 comparisons for Minots Ledge? Thinking of hitting Fort Point tonight. Love that they are open for can sales until 11.

31. BRoweski30

BRoweski30 Initiate (67) Sep 10, 2016 Massachusetts

Just got home from the Fort Point restaurant. I think the criticism on the beer is a bit unfounded. The Itty Bitty Goose, Minots, and Vanilla PM Dawn were all phenomenal. The restaurant experience though was pretty poor. There is a bar on the second floor that apparently doesn't regularly serve beers to people waiting for their table. We ordered beers and received them along with grief from the bartender for ordering from the wrong spot.

We sat down for dinner and tried a ton of different things. The oysters came out lukewarm and fishy, the bone marrow had to be sent back for being scorched on top but red and undercooked below, and my meal, at a table of 12, was forgotten and came out 5 minutes after everyone else's. The burger and chicken sandwich were both solid yet unremarkable and certainly overpriced. None of these issues ruined the night or anything but everyone I ate with agreed it was a very subpar experience for a restaurant with top tier pricing. That said, the waitress was very nice and accommodating so mo complaints there.

32. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (51) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

My dad was at Fort Point yesterday from out of town. Says the Minots Ledge was fantastic. Before he went he called me and asked “Am I still allowed to go to Trillium?” after hearing about all the drama from here lol

33. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (97) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Grief from a bartender for ordering beers?

Jfc this place is really trying hard to become the most unlikeable brewery in the northeast.

There is not a lot more uncomfortable and awkward in the dining world than being reprimanded by some prick bartender for not “following the rules” or whatever. I hope you didn’t tip and told him to just do his job.

34. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (1,977) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

After dunking a hostess snowball into my Pom Pom milk stout I can highly suggest making a coconut and chocolate aged version of this, though I probably didn’t need to dunk a snowball in to suggest that. :yum:

[​IMG]

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  35. mcle

mcle Initiate (18) Dec 14, 2017 Massachusetts

Anybody have some Gay Head yet? Just tried it for the first time and immediately got a weird burn taste, similar to the last sip of some Tree House beers

OnlyTheFinest likes this.
  36. StoutElk_92

The mosaic is pretty dank for sure.

37. Hiwattowner

Hiwattowner Disciple (362) Feb 23, 2008 Massachusetts

Worked for me. Didn’t think Treehouse. But there is some ABV there.

38. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (320) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

That's probably how they would make a coconut chocolate 'aged' version. Congrats, you cracked the code. Toss a shot of liquor in there for barrel flavor.

39. StoutElk_92

I forget which beer, maybe Macaroon had actual pieces of coconut floating in it. They aren’t the only brewery that has beers like that though. I think my Prairie Paradise had floating coconut too. I don’t have a problem with it. They conditioned stouts on coconut and chocolate before with good results. And seeing all the barrels they have I doubt they are adding bourbon shots to their barrel aged beers.

40. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (16) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

I'm not a huge Trillium fan right now, mostly because Congress/DDH Congress are no longer stellar, but that said, I really enjoyed the food at the restaurant. Ignoring the prices I think it's great. The farrow/barley bowl was fantastic, oysters were good, salad was great, and the burger was a knockout. So juicy. I can somewhat understand the price complaints, but the restaurant is sitting on some of the most expensive real estate in Boston. I don't go to dinner in the Seaport for the reasonable prices, and I don't expect a brewery selling $24 IPAs (tip included) to have a reasonably priced menu. The restaurant met my expectations given the head Chef's resume and Trillium's brand.