Trillium Brewing Company (October 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

The stout and porter "scene" is bad?

What are you talking about?

wehaveamap likes this.
  2. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (318) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Damn scene kids and their stouts and porters and goofy hair.

eaglephile likes this.
  3. ISpendTooMuchOnBeer

ISpendTooMuchOnBeer Initiate (96) Oct 29, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I'm always allergic to the "we didn't see this coming" excuse. C'mon maaaan. You're a nationally acclaimed brewery with thousands of followers and you announce a cellar Sunday not expecting a big turnout? That doesn't add up at all. I say that feeling kinda guilty because I hate criticizing breweries for how they run releases and events, but every now and then inconsistencies need to be called out.

dcisco44 likes this.
  4. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (265) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is exactly why I hate this scene or any scene. Whiny and entitled beer snobs who are ready to prosecute anyone that doesn't live up to their expectations. Move on. It's beer.

cp45 and jrnyc like this.
  5. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (133) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

don't forget the fuggle
    don't forget the wheats
    don't forget your stouts
    and don't sell out (of beer)

6. Spindletop

Spindletop Initiate (35) Jun 4, 2003 Massachusetts

RIP Raybeez

7. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,385) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Without beating a dead horse, and with all due appreciation to JC's candor, honesty and attention to this site in the hours following this fiasco - I think this post is the crux of the matter. Trillium has done things wrong in the past and they'll do things wrong again. I sometimes lose sight of the fact that while wildly successful, Trillium is still just a small company. JC mentioned something about doing more data analysis so they could get better at predicting demand...not only is predicting demand an incredibly hard task, but many quant jocks / data analysts to they have on their staff? Half a person? 1.5 FTE? Either way - while I support you in calling this out, just because they are an internationally acclaimed brewery doesn't mean they don't make mistakes (google "New Coke"...).

While I still think that this Cellar Sunday isn't a really great idea, especially in the wake of beers like Affogato that I would expect people will be frothing at the mouth in the hopes of getting another crack at on any given Sunday, and in the midst of the hype surrounding the recent releases of the Super Soaks - Cellar Sunday to me seems to be a combination of JC's aforementioned good intentions and / or the work of a crack and efficient Marketing hire, as one of the BAer's in this chain alluded to. I do hope if works; I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again! Cheers!

DanPing and ISpendTooMuchOnBeer like this.
  8. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (272) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

I love hardcore in non-hordcore places

Spindletop likes this.
  9. ChrisNewEngland

ChrisNewEngland Initiate (39) Apr 28, 2015 Massachusetts

Silent drop of Wild Sinister Kid aged on Black currants in Oak Barrels. 1pp $24, 11% ABV. Just grabbed one in Boston, not sure how many bottles or if they also have it in Canton. Wonder if they were always planning to keep it silent or if it was a response to some of the weekend feedback.

10. prezhulio

prezhulio Initiate (33) Feb 23, 2016 Massachusetts

Is there a bottling date on it? Curious to see if it’s leftover from last year or a new batch

11. ChrisNewEngland

I do not see a bottling date on it anywhere. Was there grabbing a Super Peach Soak and the WSK was bonus. Plus no line!

12. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (41) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts

It's there in Canton too, FYI.

13. pintsandtrainers

pintsandtrainers Initiate (52) Jun 9, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

So JC mentions he wants toavoid silent releases and then a day later releases a silent release of something that seems like it should of dropped during their cellar Sunday.

14. mhull

mhull Initiate (105) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

Mentioned they didn't have a contingency plan for Sunday as well when cases of Peach SS were clearly on standby for the next day. Just an odd series of events for a brewery that usually nails this stuff.

15. pintsandtrainers

Trader

JC mentioned avoiding silent releases. Also saying your cleaning your cellar for a special cellar Sunday and then releasing more cellard stuff 2 days later sounds like they could of resorted to selling WSK, which means they probably did have a contingency plan but wanted to draw more crowds in for halloweeen.

16. JPCitra

JPCitra Initiate (48) Apr 6, 2017 Massachusetts

They mentioned when I grabbed it today that there’s like less than a case of bottled WSK which is why they didn’t mention it anywhere and probably why they didnt have add it to Sunday. Not sure why they bottled so few.

17. ChrisNewEngland

I assume that since this was a silent release it is probably left over from the previous run and there isn't a lot of it. He did mention that he wanted to try to have a weekly cellar series
    I assume this case or so of WSK was a previously bottled batch from the cellar and something fun they could add to the line up on Halloween - granted in very limited quantity. JC did say in a previous post they wanted to try to do a weekly cellar release so obviously they still have other sours and wilds in their cellar but that doesn't mean they want to just deplete it all at once (yes they could have released this case or two on Sunday but it wouldn't have made a difference).

18. pintsandtrainers

Trader

They should just keep it to onsites if they have so few of them because that’s what they were doing before it’s not like they just bottled them. Between this and the cellar Sunday they are just using these small amount of cellared bottles to get people in the brewery because one of their staff told they are trying to clean house, as they are in between production. They shouldn’t be having a bottle release silent or not if they can only service a very small amount of customers.

19. JPCitra

JPCitra Initiate (48) Apr 6, 2017 Massachusetts

Nah, what they are doing is fine.

20. ChrisNewEngland

I agree that what they are doing is fine. People complained that they made an announcement for the cellar Sunday event and it should have been silent and now they quietly sell some WSK on site as a festive way to celebrate Halloween which is exactly what many people said they should do... At the end of the day you just can't make everyone happy.

21. hopley

Society Trader

I was just down there, saw the WSK bottle sitting there, and didn't even ask about it for that very reason. I thought it was just sitting there to draw attention to the Sinister Kid shirts they are selling. At the risk of sounding entitled and maybe even a little spoiled, I am going to call bullshit on this one.

22. pintsandtrainers

Trader

In light of your transparency, could you hint at what will be available at cellar Wednesday tomorrow? Probably going to miss out on today’s cellar release and I only heard a bottle of super duper soak soak was avoidable on Monday.

23. hoppy_gus

hoppy_gus Initiate (46) Sep 11, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't think they need to release small amount of cellared bottles to get people in the brewery. Who are you to say what they should or shouldn't do. You're just upset b/c you can't get your hands on the beer. Typical millennial - whiny and fragile!

Wenzl likes this.
  24. pintsandtrainers

Trader

Looks like I’ve awoken a neck beard! I actually don’t care about getting my hands on this WSK as I’ve had it multiple times recently. The point is JC contradicted himself multiple times, they knew what they were doing when they only put on that “cellar Sunday”. If you ever been to other cellar releases or read about them the point isn’t to try and clean out beers that are in regular rotation. It’s a chance to have a fair amount of customers enjoy beer that they haven’t had in while or are having for the first time. But hey you fam boys will be fan boys and will always take the knee.

25. hoppy_gus

Trader

.....says the guy from NH, the drain pour capital of the world!

26. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,093) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Making my 2nd ever trek tomorrow to Canton. What can I hope to land?

27. WolfsburgVW

WolfsburgVW Disciple (302) May 21, 2013 Maine
    Trader

cskillage and 7irondave like this.
  28. hopley

Society Trader

I am totally in your court on this - this is the second good intention gone wrong by Trillium in the span of three days. You just can't say something one day and two days later do the opposite - this is disingenuous at best, dishonest at worst. Shit like this needs to be called out in this forum now, and feel free to come at me with your own criticism leveled at me Mr. Neckbeard Adversary, but this is a Trillium-friendly forum and if they don't hear the stuff that pisses off their real fan boys like you and me, think about what happens when they start shipping outside of New England?

29. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,093) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

30. bsullivan

bsullivan Initiate (76) Aug 17, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

It's accurate

cskillage likes this.
  31. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (219) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Trilliums and Tree House are always very accurate

cskillage likes this.
  32. dpatnaude

dpatnaude Initiate (88) Oct 6, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I resent that comment, Gus.

Wenzl and hoppy_gus like this.
  33. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,214) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Well, people seem to be exposed only to porters and stouts that make them think Trillium’s are good. I love love love Trillium, and maybe I’ve just had bad luck, but the best I’ve had was a thin porter with an overload of slightly stale coffee flavor. Batches people go crazy for. But then, people gave acetylaldehyde bomb batches of Speedway Stout variants top ratings for years.

soheadyithurts likes this.
  34. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,214) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

Look, all I’m really saying is: as good as Trillium has been for me, I personally think the stouts I have consumed just aren’t good.

35. ransom22

ransom22 Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan
    Trader

Blackberry Super Soak might've been the wave, but Peach Super Soak is everything wrong with this "program." Warhead flavor to the MAX

Sweatshirt and soheadyithurts like this.
  36. hoppy_gus

Trader

...says the TH fanboi who complains about a sour being sour. I bet you gave Native B1 5 caps on Untapped. Such a Joey!

dpatnaude and hazymcjooceface like this.
  37. ransom22

ransom22 Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan
    Trader

Imagine being Trilli fanboy "hoppy_gus," the neckbeard lord on Untapped, who yells at clouds.... err.... people's opinions on an Internet forum

38. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (349) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Who's whiny and fragile?

39. JCTetreault

JCTetreault Initiate (162) Mar 19, 2008 Massachusetts

This is the incredibly frustrating thing.

I/we decided to change my approach 1. in light of the clearly disproportionate demand vs what we planned on sunday 2. when we decided to make something available when it was clear the current year's wild sinister kid bottles wouldn't be ready on the target release date of Halloween. We kept a 1/2bbl in the cooler to at least have that for the taproom. But we only had 72 available, which we (almost) always split evenly between two breweries. So knowing we cant make everyone happy, go with option 1. put them out and still be a nice unexpected Halloween surprise or option 2. announce it again and get the chest thumping reverberations of 'you just did it again, why dont you learn anything' or option 3. don't make them available.

Well, goddammit, option 3 would have been pretty lame. So now it's left to choosing the best of the two not great options.

I'm very used to seeing criticism about our beers, I mean...just look at the posts in this 'trillium friendly forum'...hahaha

But ultimately when supply and demand is way out of whack, there's no avoiding having a disproportionate number of people that come away upset. And whatever we do, it's very clear there's going to be a bunch of people who will feel like it should have been done exactly the opposite way.

And if we change to see if a different tactic would improve the situation based on what were seeing and that constantly moving target, then we're dishonest and disingenuous ...have *bad* intentions?

How can we be simultaneously be thought to be clearing out inventory that we cant move but intentionally whipping up a frenzy of demand on tiny volumes of beers.

As I said above, we had what I thought was the volume for a consistent 6months buffer for a rotating selection for a cellar Sundays program, based on prior sales data from prior cellar releases and newsletter/social posts.

It wasnt intended to be one big, blow event of big quantities of a big number of brands. But I can see how our newsletter language mislead folks to think it would be that. Sure messed that up. After what happened this past sunday, we obviously will not have enough. It may be six weeks. And yes, I should have had a backup plan to have other brands available in the case of a crazy turn out. But all of the other beer was at the Hudson warehouse and we had already done the truck run to Boston. So by the time we could have mobilized to get more beer to each brewery, the damage was already done and making more beer available later in the day would have tossed gasoline on the fire.

I totally whiffed on doing the 'best case scenario demand planning, I messed that up. so we're going to shift up the volumes and number of brands we make available, though I can safely predict that we won't see the same sort of turn out this sunday.

We'll do our best to more clearly communicate to set expectations and answer questions, as best we can.

Let me know if you have any questions...we've otherwise already gotten plenty of advice these days! Haha

40. JCTetreault

JCTetreault Initiate (162) Mar 19, 2008 Massachusetts

Also, no cellar bottles (silent, lottery, or otherwise) tomorrow.

Sheppard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.