Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Trillium Brewing to Release "OneBoston"

Discussion in 'New England' started by Todd, May 29, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

A Collaboration Beer for The One Fund Boston

(Boston, MA - May 29, 2013) On May 17th, Trillium Brewing, in collaboration with The Publick House, BeerAdvocate and Valley Malt, brewed a new beer called "OneBoston" with a goal to raise money for The One Fund Boston, which provides assistance to those affected by the Boston Marathon bombings.

OneBoston is an American IPA with a grist including locally grown and malted rye and crystal oats contributed by Valley Malt, located in Hadley, Mass. An unfiltered, hazy ale with 50 IBUs, most of its Columbus, Chinook and Falconer's Flight hops were reserved for whirlpool and post-fermentation additions in order to retain as much of the delicate aromatic oils in the finished beer. 7.5% alcohol by volume.

"OneBoston was brewed in response to our need to help those most gravely impacted by the terrible things that happened, while at the same time, celebrating the heroes that rose up as a result," said Trillium founder and brewer JC Tetreault. "The folks at The Publick House, BeerAdvocate and Valley Malt were immediately supportive when approached with the idea."

David Ciccolo, owner of The Publick House, added: "I believe I speak for all of us involved in this project when I say how privileged we are to use our collective passion for craft beer to give back to those affected by this senseless tragedy."

OneBoston will be released on Wednesday, June 5th at 5pm at The Publick House in Brookline, Mass.; no cover, pay as you consume. The beer will also be available for 32oz and 64oz growler fills at the brewery, at 369 Congress Street in Boston, starting on June 6th at 4pm.

"We're giving back the best way we can, by raising awareness through the craft beer community. We also plan on donating one dollar for every OneBoston sold on June 5th, so we encourage people to come down and drink the kegs dry," stated BeerAdvocate co-founder Todd Alström.

100 percent of the net proceeds from OneBoston sales will be donated to The One Fund Boston, which directly benefits the families of the victims who were killed and those most seriously affected by the tragic events that occurred during the Boston Marathon on April 15th, 2013, as well as related events on April 18th and 19th, 2013.

For more information: http://beeradvocate.com/oneboston.

To donate to the Fund directly: http://OneFundBoston.org.

###

Brew Day Pics:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/104365212615183901094/albums/5881168905962085873

Event Listing (sign up so we can get a headcount):
    http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/61918

Beer Listing:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30654/94406

2. Auror

Beer Trader

Definitely going to have to swing by for a growler on the 6th.

JCTetreault likes this.
  3. CLively

Very cool project, and for an extremely noble cause.

JCTetreault likes this.
  4. seanwhite

Beer Trader

Don't sleep on Trillium Fort Point Pale either, that is some liquid goodness.

5. TheMonkfish

Great idea Jean-Claude! I hope to try this.

JCTetreault likes this.
  6. nicksintros

Too bad I won't be able to make it.

I'm intrigued by the recipe. It says in the description there is malted rye and crystal oats. The photo of the recipe doesn't show any rye however, at least not that I can see. I've also never heard of crystal oats before and can't seem to find any to buy anywhere aside from mention of Valley Malt doing it custom for Ipswich and apparently now Trillium.

7. JCTetreault

Nick...we swapped out the 50lbs malted oats from Valley Malt indicated in the recipe pic you saw for their Danko Rye on the brew day as a last minute change. Yes, Valley Malt also made a very small batch of 47L crystal oats just for this beer, this is the sort of (awesome) thing they make for homebrewers in their Malt of the Month club.

8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

Definitely want to find this if I make it back to Mass anytime soon. As a former Masshole, I feel the need to support this effort.

JCTetreault likes this.
  9. jbar920

definitely headed over tomorrow for some fresh growler fills! Who else is planning on attending?

JCTetreault likes this.
  10. jlordi12

Beer Trader

I plan to head over tomorrow or Friday. Anyone tried this yet?

11. JCTetreault

I've tried it. :) We're filling kegs *now* for tonight's release at the publick house!

FrankLloydMike and jlordi12 like this.
  12. jlordi12

Beer Trader

Haha I'm an idiot. Todd's post was too long for me

JCTetreault likes this.
  13. Todd

Todd Founder

Looking forward to drinking beer and raising money tonight!

14. Mbarry7

Can't say enough about Trillium or the OneFund. Great combination. Looking forward until 5!

JCTetreault likes this.
  15. JCTetreault

16. RBCORCORAN

Beer Trader

I won't be able to make it but trying to talk a friend into swinging by to pick me up a growler . Great cause and kudos to all involved.

17. GimmeAGuinness

Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Let me be the first to say, Holy Shmokes this is a fantastic beer! Perfectly hoppy, great body, awesome all around!

18. FrankLloydMike

Subscriber

I absolutely loved the One Boston, but I think the Fort Point Pale Ale may be even more perfect. They're both easily among the best beers in Boston right now, as far as I'm concerned.

19. Mbarry7

Great to see the showing when the doors opened at 5 yesterday. One Boston was great and the rounds tasted even better knowing it was for a good cause.

20. Skwalk47

Beer Trader

Glad to hear it was good, I am going to try to get over today or tomorrow. I figure worst case scenario I grab a pint on my way from Sommerville to Roslindale before my poker game on Friday!

21. Massbmx

Have to go pick the parents up at Logan tonight, hmm very tempting to grab a couple growlers. What does a fill cost and what is the price of the glassware?

22. Auror

Beer Trader

Just to let people know, Publick House kicked all the kegs last night of the OneBoston. I guess the brewery will have theirs for growlers today.

23. ljkeats

Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Something like $5 for the glass and $15 for most beers. Not sure about BostonOne.

24. JCTetreault

Off the phone w/ the folks at the Publick House. we were in awe of the support shown last night and they generously offered to put it on again tonight. Just delivered more kegs. Once again...money raised going to the onefund. Maybe we can convince the Bros to double down on their $1/ per pint too? :)

We're doing 32 and 64oz fills at the brewery until we run out, starting in ~45 minutes.

American IPAs not your thing? donate directly to www.onefundboston.org

jbart likes this.
  25. jamvt

Beer Trader

Showed up at 4:05 and got my growler. Waited about 30 min. Looking forward to cracking it tonight.

26. halfshell

Was first in line at 3:55, with just a couple minutes to fill a 64 and 2x32's...

27. jamvt

Beer Trader

Have to say I'm disappointed. Just cracked my 32oz growler and it was completely flat. I filled it literally 2.5 hours ago and had it refrigerated 10 minutes after filling. Way less carbonation than my growler of fort point. Wonder if this had something to do with the keg kicking during the filling of my growler. There is no head at all even with an aggressive pour. Anyone else having this issue?

28. JCTetreault

Holy crap. yeah, that's not good. really not sure what happened. maybe a (very) loose growler cap? no, even that wouldn't make it completely flat if it got to a fridge immediately after. Yes, if anyone else has a problem, please let me know so we can figure out the cause, as it was pouring really well last night/this evening before service. jamvt, i'll send you a PM.

Auror likes this.
  29. pmahon01

I got my 64oz fill of IPA yesterday off the second keg and it made it home on the T without issue and tasted great last night, good head. I'll be back for more depending on rain tonight.
    Any idea how long this will be on tap?

JCTetreault likes this.
  30. JCTetreault

Boy, not really sure, but I'm sure the rain will keep some people away tonight, so probably through the weekend. Just the same, we're going to try a fix that will hopefully allow us to move a little quicker to cut the waiting time down just as much as possible both for new folks as well as those looking to get refills. in any case, thanks for the crazy support on this, its all very humbling. cheers, JC

31. brittanyshelby

agreed! FP PA takes the cake, but can't wait to get home and crack into my second growler of one boston during b's game tonight!

JCTetreault likes this.
  32. lucas1801

It seems I need to make it out to Trillium soon, great to see a brewery like this in the city.

33. seanwhite

Beer Trader

I took a nice bike ride over to the brewery yesterday (Saturday) to check out the space and pick up a growler of OneFund. I biked home, put it in the fridge for a bit, and poured two glasses. Both were excellent and had good carbonation. Then I screwed the cap back on real tight, and back in the fridge. I then biked over to my friend's house in Somerville. When I opened it up after a few minutes, a ton of pressure was relieved, and the beer was still excellent, but it got pretty flat.

I am sure the bike ride, and not giving it enough time to chill, resulted in the flatness. Even with that, the two friends, said they knew it was pretty much one of the best brews in Boston right now.

34. Todd

Todd Founder

Update: Collectively we raised $7,094 for The One Fund Boston.

Thanks to everyone who supported the release of OneBoston.

Cheers!

JCTetreault and Resuin like this.
  35. bradalmanac

Your last chance to try this beer before it disappears is right now at the brewery, where they're filling the final growlers (and 32 oz. half-growlers). They started with about 4 kegs at 4pm, there was a modest line, and they're open until 7:30. Definitely worth running down to Fort Point to grab some, it's fantastic.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe