Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Trip to Louisville Ky

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Gunson, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Gunson

Beer Trader

I'm going to be driving from Detroit to Louisville the first week of April, any good beers/stores to stop at along the way? What do any of you recommend?

2. BuckTuckian

Beer Trader

3. tommyz

Beer Trader

I know your asking about stores, but if you have not had it I recommend picking this beer up if you can..I had it when I went to see the Tigers play the Reds and thought it was good..Totally different from normal BB aged beers imo

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/430/18698/?ba=bros

4. SpunkyHopslammer

The Liquor Barn or Beverage Warehouse in Louisville, carry large inventories, Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is excellent, Schlafly also has a barrel aged barleywine that is outstanding.

5. Gunson

Beer Trader

I am also asking about what beers in Oh, Indiana, and Ky, would be a good pickup.

6. BuckTuckian

Beer Trader

7. CLCardinal84

Beer Trader

Ok. Two places you MUST go. Louisville Beer Store (746 E Market St Louisville, KY), and Sergio's World Beers (1605 Story Ave Louisville, KY). They are incredible bottle shops and they have awesome stuff on tap at both. Sergio's is a little hard to find bc there is no signs outside, but look for the windows with a bunch of countries' flags on them.

You will not be let down.

Vav and dbrauneis like this.
  8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

I completely agree with these suggestions - I hit both on my visit to Louisville last Memorial Day and was not disappointed.

9. Mantooth

Beer Trader

My girlfriend and I live in the Charlotte, NC area. She's been driving to Louisville every couple of months for the past year, taking real estate appraisal classes. I recently joined her for a week and we hit the LBeer Store as well as Sergio's and both were great - Sergio's is an absolute must, you've never seen anything quite like it - I can promise you that.

She's in Louisville now and I'm looking around to see what's still out - or rare - in the area. She's going to pick some stuff up for me but I need to figure out what. The LBeer Store appears to still have Bourbon County, which I've only had once and it blew me away. Any suggestions on what else to snag if it's still out?

10. fritts211

Beer Trader

Be sure to stop by Keg liquors in Clarksville also. Pretty decent bottle selection.

Docrock and CLCardinal84 like this.
  11. fritts211

Beer Trader

Stop by the liqour barn on Shelbyville road. Alchemy hour by GLBC is in the back.

12. nfc2469

Beer Trader

Liquor Barn . Huge selection growlers to go and carry 3 Floyd's .

13. robwestcott

Beer Trader

you'll be on highway 65 - get off at the Columbus (IN) exit and take a look at "the cork" - on occasion good local selections. It's maybe 2 minutes off the highway.

14. Docrock

Beer Trader

Second or Third the Sergio's suggestion...just look up Sergio's World Beers and look at the available list, typically 10-15 awesome beers on tap + another 20 really good beers...

Not to mention the 1400 or so other varieties available in bottle ( either to drink or take home)

Cash only though, there is an ATM inside..

15. Docrock

Beer Trader

Also, on the way check out Anderson's in Maumee, Ohio if you're going by Toledo, its just off 275

16. fredmugs

Beer Trader

I went to both places over the holidays and was only mildly impressed. I got my best deals at Whole Foods. While in Louisville go to Against The Grain brewery which is at Louisville Slugger Field and also get some West Sixth IPA.

17. DaveLikesAle

By all means stop at Belmont in Dayton. The only thing you will miss is the few beers available in KY but not OH. Best beer store in the state by far.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe