Trip to Seattle from Michigan

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Technosis, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Quality of location is relative to where you are, which is why I go to Greenwood. I used to live 10 blocks from there and I'm still over there regularly while my daughter is in ballet practice. I was probably one of Chuck's first customers when he first opened up and he used to be there all the time; in fact he was there last time I was in there a week or two ago, he recognized me and greeted me warmly but I almost never see him in there these days. Maybe he just isn't in on weekends as much as he used to be, when it was basically him and what appeared to be a couple of relatives running the shop. He's come a long way since then.

I have no doubt that he learned a lot after setting up Greenwood and applied that knowledge to his CD location. I just never have much reason to be over in that area.

NWer likes this.
  2. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Pooh-Bah (2,013) Dec 1, 2004 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

They fill growlers but it's from cask so the shelf life is veeeeeeeeeeery limited. I'm not someone who is under the impression that all growlers need to be consumed in a week or less (I've had growlers as old as 4-5 years, but those were filled via standard keg) but the carbonation with cask is so delicate you need to drink pretty much the same day it's filled.

But man, do I love me some Machine House.

BBThunderbolt and chinochino like this.
  3. TheBungyo

Pooh-Bah Society

But with that said, if you're limited to enjoying what the NW has to offer strictly from bottles and cans you aren't getting the full experience.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  4. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

If you're limited to enjoying what the NW has to offer in between spending time with the in-laws, you also aren't getting the full experience. C'est la vie.

5. TheBungyo

Pooh-Bah Society

Meh, you're a virtual shut-in so of course you'd reply this way. :slight_smile:

BBThunderbolt, BuckeyeOne and Orca like this.
  6. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Is buying a growler at Georgetown still based on a deposit? He can "rent" one at Georgetown with a fill, use it to get other beers during his stay at Chuck's, etc., then return it to Georgetown and get his deposit back. No growler to fit into luggage home, and it gets straight back into GT's growler stock.

erushing and chinochino like this.
  7. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

I am not sure as I always bring my own growlers but what an interesting concept. If indeed this is a service that Georgetown provides, it shows again how they buck conventional wisdom and find creative ways to get their product into our bellies.

sharpski likes this.
  8. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Georgetown still does this. I've got a couple of their growlers that I swap out at the brewery for at least five or six years now.

sharpski, chinochino and erushing like this.
  9. erushing

erushing Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2014 Texas

I was already planning on hitting Full Throttle the first night of my trip. Now you're basically telling me that Georgetown is a must visit as well. That's a pretty great tip that might be worth putting in the main Visiting Seattle thread.

10. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I'd still recommend Chucks CD. So many options of draft only breweries.

11. erushing

Noted. I just figure now maybe I'll pick up a couple growlers at Georgetown right off the bat so I have them for the rest of the trip. I have had < 4 of the taplist options at either Chucks. I won't even know where to start.

12. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

:-) Start at the top, and descend (glass by glass) to the bottom. Go back and retry your favorites after you have sampled them all.

Enjoy!

13. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (1,237) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Also check out Beer Junction and Beveridge Place in West Seattle. Both are a pretty easy drive from the Rainier Valley. Beer Junction is also the best bottle shop in Seattle IMHO.

Orca likes this.
  14. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They are a solid brewery and Lucille is on of my top WA IPA's, but I was recommending the stop there as a way to "borrow" some growler glass without having to pack one. Their beer is readily available around town, so by all means try their beer, but the ability to use their growler and return it is why I recommended going to the source.

15. Technosis

Technosis Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2014 Michigan

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. It looks like at least the beer drinking part of visiting the inlaws is going to be enjoyable. Can't wait to get out there and try as many of these as I can

16. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Plus, since the OP's in town from Michigan and visiting in-laws in the Rainier Valley and you're already suggested Chuck's CD, I might as well be the first person to suggest walking down the block to Uncle Ike's for some legal weed. Just be aware, OP, that it's a cash only business.

17. erushing

That's more or less what I thought you were getting at. After reading so many people pointing out that most of the best stuff is draft only, I started wondering if I should pack some growlers or even buy one while there, but now this seems like the way to go. I'm assuming you can't just pick up empty growlers though.

18. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Not at Georgetown, but lots of grocery stores and bottle shops sell empty growlers here. Splurge and get yourself a sweet Hydro Flask one.

19. erushing

I guess if that's cheap, then maybe I should just do that then.

20. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Get a growler of Eddie at Georgetown and then use it. Nice beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.