Triptych Brewing

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by flat_lander, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flat_lander

flat_lander Savant (979) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I've gone back and forth over the last few months about whether or not to create a Triptych Brewing thread. As anyone who "knows" me on here, I'm a fan. With the recent news of them expanding production, some limited distro starting to happen in Chicago this summer, not to mention that they are making some stellar beer across styles, I've decided that today is the day. So I'll tag @3xAnthony here and enjoy the ride. I'll also just drop this below, see you around 3pm Anthony for some of that Blueberry Meme and Neo to go!

2. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (150) Jan 17, 2017 Czech Republic

Good call. thought Neo was real good.
    I'm absolutely in love with Dank Meme and would have it stocked in my fridge AT ALL TIMES if I could get it regularly.

3. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Meyvn (1,319) Mar 31, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

We stopped here on our way through to Iowa a few months back and was really impressed. Great NE style IPA's

flat_lander likes this.
  4. flat_lander

Society Trader

Your fridge should meet my fridge someday. Preferably sometime after 3pm today...

GOBLIN and TigerDriver91 like this.
  5. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I've had a couple of their beers and still don't have a great read on them. I initially didn't care for them when I had the first can of each (Wake Up Neo and Dank Meme IIRC), but then liked subsequent cans...although I had been drinking more at that time. Regardless, it's great to start a new thread for a place this seems to be gaining some steam.

Has anyone in Chicago seen their stuff on tap anywhere?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  6. flat_lander

Society Trader

I don't believe they are on tap in Chicago yet. I have seen them in Bloomington, Springfield, etc. I know they distribute as far as the QC, but I dk about kegs there either.

GOBLIN and GuyFawkes like this.
  7. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Initiate (171) Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Peoria gets kegs as well.....

I've enjoyed the beers that I've had from them....and it seems like they have the supply/demand equation figured out perfectly. Their beers never sit on shelves for too long and you won't find 6 month old beer....wish that was the case across the board in this part of Illinois.....

8. macewank

macewank Initiate (182) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Love me some Triptych. Have been throwing their cans in as trade extras for a while now and it's getting to the point where some of the trade partners I swap with are just asking for them straight up.

Gimme a damn IV drip of These Aren't the Blueberries.

Jason1221 likes this.
  9. AOD77

AOD77 Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 Illinois

Glad to see this thread. Love everything I've had from them. Have a keg of Dank Meme lined up with our caterer for our wedding in peoria in a few weeks. Looking forward to seeing them closer to home going forward though!

flat_lander likes this.
  10. Tunerstyle63

Tunerstyle63 Initiate (150) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

We get some kegs in QC, Dank and Really Dank are on somewhere pretty much all the time. Can distro has been stellar as well, glad to have Neo, Hawaiian Shirt and Blueberries in the cooler for the 4th of July!

11. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Everything that @flat_lander gave me and/or I bought from Triptych was fantastic. I still have a can of Dead Man's Chest, which I plan on opening in the not to distant future. Dank Meme would be a regular in my fridge if I lived nearby.

Cheers!

flat_lander likes this.
  12. flat_lander

Society Trader

It's been a few months since I've had a Really Dank Meme. Grabbed some of the 8/11 cans from the brewery today. Having one right now. Such a great beer to have regular access to. They have this one really dialed in.

Noteworthy - they're using a new style of crowler now. They are the resealable (not refillable) ones with a twist off top. Pretty great if you don't want to polish off the whole thing in one sitting. Also, added bonus, no $1 extra charge for the crowler anymore.

EDIT: STFU Donny is a fantastic coffee stout.

13. flat_lander

Society Trader

Ditto. It's always good to know you're not being biased because you are a fan of their beer!

GOBLIN, NABS, Keffa and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jason1221

Jason1221 Aspirant (225) Apr 7, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I have seen Dank Meme or Really Dank Meme at Binnys south loop. It was early in the summer, and I think they posted about it on FB or Twitter. Thinking they must occasionally shuttle some up.

15. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (149) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

Looking to stop in Sunday on the way home from St.Louis. Are cans usually available?

Nachos4two likes this.
  16. flat_lander

Society Trader

Yep. They're also really good about updating their website pretty much daily. So you can check it ahead of time. Dank, Really Dank, and Neo are all in right now. Also, Friar Tucks and Binny's usually have cans in case the taproom is out of what you are looking for. They keep it refrigerated at both places too.

EDIT: students officially came back this week. Not sure if they have a release planned since this is the first weekend they are back. Worth checking their FB page to see as the weekend rolls out...

GOBLIN and csmakio like this.
  17. macewank

macewank Initiate (182) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

They're releasing PYNK today. hazy ipa(i assume?) with passionfruit, pink guava

flat_lander and jaysker95 like this.
  18. flat_lander

Society Trader

Sure are! Thanks for the heads up. I knew this was coming and was hoping it was today. Basically what I was told is that this is Really Dank with the aforementioned fruits

GOBLIN, BarrytheBear and Nachos4two like this.
  19. csmakio

I'll be swinging by Sunday, hopefully some PYNK is still available!

20. flat_lander

Society Trader

You should be good. Their stuff usually takes a few weeks to disappear locally. Just grabbed a few 4 packs to bring up north for a wedding after party tomorrow. Will report back later once I have one.

GOBLIN likes this.
  21. csmakio

Made it in today, love the space. PYNK was delicious, you guys killed it with this one. Will need to find an excuse to make it back down south soon. Would really love to frequent your establishment more often.

In the meantime, feel free to send as much up to Chicago for distribution as possible. :slight_smile:

22. flat_lander

Society Trader

Never really reported back on Pynk. Had a bunch over the last few weeks, including some last weekend with my brother who was in from CO. It's very good for a fruited IPA, one of their better efforts for that style. Fruit was nicely done and not over powering at all. I still prefer regular Really Dank Meme, but it's still very good.

Looks like Little Secret got canned last week, always a fav and one of their original beers that made me say, "Hey, this brewery is going to be up to some good stuff." Also their Oktoberfest just got released in the taproom. Always a winner. And apparently Dank and Really Dank got canned yesterday. Those beers a few hours fresh are a thing of beauty.

EDIT: Cool evenings has my daydreaming of Festivus and dusting off a can of last year's AJ's for this weekend. @3xAnthony , any comments on this year's variants?

GOBLIN likes this.
  23. 3xAnthony

3xAnthony Initiate (74) Dec 10, 2012 Illinois

Been busy so I don't get on here as much anymore... but will try to hit all the questions/comments:
    • Pynk is a RDM variant using mostly the same malt bill, completely reconfigured hops, and passionfruit/guava purees from Oregonfruits. It's closely related to another fruited variant we made called Hawaiian Shirt Day earlier this summer. We haven't worked with the tart/tropical fruits as much so it has been trickier to understand how everything fits together. We should have a pineapple variant coming out in a few weeks, not sure if it will get canned.
    • Chicago distribution has kind of stalled as we don't have enough beer for our taproom plus the local markets we serve. (Sorry.)
    • Not sure on the AJ's variants yet this year... I suppose I should check up on this year's barrels soon.
    • Stuff coming up: 3rd batch of Wake Up Neo (dialing it in, small batch, will be canned), a Peach/Vanilla/Lactose RDM variant called Peaches 'N Memes (850+ pounds of peach puree, 60+ pounds per BBL, this will be canned), some funky stuff is coming along nicely, its been quite a long time since we had a true, non-kettle sour around but we've got a strong (8.5% but so dry..mm) Brett'd Saison that should be released soon... Batch 401, 9% Raspberry Brett beer should be ready by Festivus, 1260 pounds of raspberry puree or 70 pounds per BBL!
    • Thanks for the kind words @csmakio , I am really excited to get some more production space and to get the taproom back to a much less chaotic backdrop.

#23 3xAnthony, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  24. csmakio

well....that sounds delightful. depending on the timing of this one I may be driving down to Urbana for the night!

flat_lander and Nachos4two like this.
  25. flat_lander

Society Trader

Went in to get a bunch of crowlers for some friends I'm visiting this weekend. Was stoked to see Peaches 'N Memes on tap. Beautiful pour, nice mouthfeel, and carbed just right for me. Very nice peachiness on the front end. Definitely get the vanilla/lactose big time on the back end...maybe too much for my palette. Nice beer. Look forward to grabbing some cans when they happen. Also look forward to more milkshake style efforts from Triptych!

GOBLIN, Nachos4two and semibaked like this.
  26. swenny916

swenny916 Defender (696) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Anyone hear if the Neo or Peaches 'N Memes will be distributed?

27. 3xAnthony

3xAnthony Initiate (74) Dec 10, 2012 Illinois

There have been amounts of both handed off to our distributor for central Illinois. I would suspect it will start showing up in limited amounts this week.

rosco64209, Nachos4two and swenny916 like this.
  28. swenny916

Society Trader

Thanks!

29. flat_lander

Society Trader

This feels, and tastes bump-worthy. Citra/Galaxy IIPA juice bomb. I get peach and pineapple with a big hoppy/boozy bite. Had it both on tap and split a can with the wife later. Great stuff. Congrats on Batch 400 guys!

30. flat_lander

Society Trader

Definitely bump worthy here. Especially for anyone coming in for Thanksgiving. The last Fleeting featured Amarillo and was great. I'd imagine this one will be even better if galaxy is your thing. AJ's is their BB stout and is definitely worth a pour and/or grabbing some cans too.

rosco64209, GOBLIN, storm72 and 6 others like this.
  31. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (353) May 17, 2013 Illinois

I always pick up a few 4-packs when I head south to visit my family. Meijer and/or Binny's in Bloomington usually has at least 2-3 different offerings. Pretty solid beers at a good price point. Wake Up, Neo is my favorite thus far.

flat_lander and FBarber like this.
  32. chicagogooner

chicagogooner Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2014 Illinois

Picked up Dank Meme when visiting family and will definitely grab some more.

33. swenny916

Society Trader

Really Dank Meme and most of the fruity Dank Memes are also real good. We don't have a lot of good, localish breweries that are distributing in Central Illinois, but Triptych is definitely my favorite.

galos11 and flat_lander like this.
  34. flat_lander

Society Trader

The single hope Fleeting series are not to be missed. Most recent was Galaxy, and it is pretty great. And while we're at it, I'll leave this below. Last year it was regular, coffee, vanilla, and a rum barrel aged. Heard this year is likely to be similar. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year. Looks like my aluminum pole will have to gather dust this year...

GOBLIN, BeerMe1013 and galos11 like this.
  35. tepie

tepie Initiate (79) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Got to try dank meme at a bar from a can while in town in Peoria and it made my week. I also got to try fleeting Amarillo on tap, it was good but a bit harsh for me. Regardless, looking forward to seeing more next time around.

36. AOD77

AOD77 Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 Illinois

Fleeting Galaxy was delicious. Picked up a 4 pack last weekend and wish I had picked up more. O Christmas Meme O Christmas Meme was....well it was interesting. Not bad by any means but Im not sure if spruce tips are my thing. Still happy to give it a go.

flat_lander likes this.
  37. flat_lander

Society Trader

Just grabbed some Christmas Meme to bring to a staff holiday party this weekend. Will report back. I have liked spruce tip beers in the past, but I was day drinking in Alaska. So that could've skewed my opinion a smidge.

Looks like they canned Because Stout #1 last week. It's got cinnamon and toasted coconut in it. I need to give that a whirl.

GOBLIN and semibaked like this.
  38. flat_lander

Society Trader

Hey @3xAnthony look at Really Dank Meme hanging with some big dogs here. Think it got drafted before KBBS? :smiley:

Good luck with 5th annual Festivus tomorrow. Bummed I won't make it this year. Going to hit up the single barrel event later tonight. For those that may be in town for the holidays, definitely worth a stop at the taproom tomorrow...

39. storm72

storm72 Initiate (88) Jul 4, 2010 Illinois

I'm a C-U area local fairly new to the area hoping to get to my first Triptych Festivus today. When the AJ's PB Cup variant catches your wife's eye, I think that pretty much means you're going. What problems to have! :grin: I'll try to post back here with my impressions. Looking forward to it!

flat_lander likes this.
  40. flat_lander

Society Trader

Enjoy! It's a pretty good time. Family being in from out of state forced our hand to head out of town early. Triptych has been a canning machine lately! In the last week they've canned Neo, Wizard, Dank Meme, AJ's, Because Stout #1, Vanilla Memeshake, and probably others. I've lost track. I may roll by at noon to grab some AJ's cans real quick. As far as I can tell, the only difference this year is no crowler/growler fills of variants. Not sure if they canned any of those.

Had the One Barrel to Rule Them All last night - single barrel AJ's that came from an Angel's Envy barrel. It was very good. Nice thickness, really boozy, especially when to temp, great nose. Probably still on at Quality if you stop by there today.

GOBLIN and Jason1221 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.