Triptych Brewing

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by flat_lander, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. storm72

storm72 Jul 4, 2010 Illinois

We got to Triptych a little past opening at noon and waited in line for maybe 15 minutes - not bad and it helped that it was a nice day for the time of year. Seating was a little tricky to come by, but a group with a couple extra seats graciously invited us to their table.

Of the 2017 variants, we tried coffee, PB cup, and vanilla. We also had 2016 and 2017 regular AJ's and Because. All were good. My wife was hoping the PB cup would have a bit more peanut butter flavor upfront, but I know from my homebrewing experience it's a tricky flavor to get without overdoing it. She still enjoyed it though and I think really liked the coffee best. My favorite of the day was the regular 2016 AJ's, which I've had before. As always, age can be such a wondrous thing for barrel aged beers.

I have so many stouts and porters around the house right now that I didn't plan to buy any cans or fill a growler or crowler. I honestly didn't pay a lot of attention to what was available in cans and the growler/crowler fill rules. I think it's correct thought that they didn't can any variants and there were no growler/crowler fills.

We had a great time and it was nice to run into a few friends too and catch up. I think we've been out of town on past Festivuses since we came to the area. In the future we'll need to construct our holiday plans so that doesn't happen!

flat_lander, jaysker95 and Jason1221 like this.
  2. flat_lander

flat_lander May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Line eh? That's new this year. I recall little to none when I walked in at noon last year. Standard bar wait. Doesn't sound like it was too bad though. The real crowd madness was at night. Fun party for sure.

They were doing crowlers of coffee to go only. Looks like that might be still on. Buddy grabbed one for me and I'll be popping it with some friends I have in town this weekend. How the hell else am I going to work through 32 oz of barrel aged coffee stout? Glad you had a good time.

GOBLIN and storm72 like this.
  3. 3xAnthony

3xAnthony Dec 10, 2012 Illinois

It was the first time we've had a line of more than 10-15 people for Festivus... though I expect with the addition of the second facility and more space across the street next year, we shouldn't have the same issue.

Jason1221, nw2571 and storm72 like this.
  4. IfIHadABoat

IfIHadABoat Jan 4, 2013 Illinois

I’ve been out of town for work for a couple weeks. Anthony, do you still have AJ’s 4 packs at the brewery? Anywhere else around C-U?

5. flat_lander

Society Trader

According to their website they still have 4 packs and crowlers of coffee to go and on tap, along with 16 on tap. Finishing my first can of 17 right now. It's pretty great this year. Has a lot of barrel happening. Drank a coffee crowler with friends last night. Super coffee forward and delicious. My favorite of the variants this year.

GOBLIN likes this.
  6. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Bumping this thread.....was in the area last week and stopped in the taproom. Thought the AJs with Coffee was fan-freaking-tastic. Wish I lived closer....

flat_lander likes this.
  7. flat_lander

Society Trader

It was really great this year. My favorite variant 2 years running. But I like coffee too, so that's not a surprise for me.

This feels bump worthy to me.

8. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Awesome....I may have to drive over for Festivus in December. The AJs W/Coffee, I thought, was on par if not better than some vintages of BCBCS. I've enjoyed all of the pale ales too. These guys are doing good things, that's for sure.

9. tepie

tepie Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Had here be the dragons Monday in Peoria, made for a nice Monday beer at 8bit arcade. Glad I get to try these beers while out of town. All have been great.

CityFarmer likes this.
  10. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

Looks like the Aj's coffee is gone? Dang. Recs on what else to get for to-go tomorrow? Swinging into town for a family party and should have time to stop in. I'll taste if I can but might be short on time.

11. flat_lander

Society Trader

They do a good job of updating their website menu daily. Yep, believe AJ's and AJs coffee is all gone. It could be worse as it appears they canned 3 beers today - Fleeting w/ Enigma, Vanilla Bean Memeshake, and Silly Scotty. They also have cans of Dank Meme and Really Dank Meme. Dank and Really Dank are worth it for sure. All of the Fleetings have been great IMO, but haven't had Enigma yet. Myself and many others liked the first go at Vanilla Bean, some did not. I definitely want to try Silly Scotty. If you had time to taste - Fleeting, Vanilla, and Silly are good choices to decide if you want cans of them. Here Be Dragons is always solid and is also canned right now. So no stout cans, but plenty of good hop options.

GOBLIN and mychalg9 like this.
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

13. vrundmc

vrundmc Mar 23, 2017 New Jersey

I have that and Really Dank Meme in the fridge. Pretty good.

14. 3xAnthony

Enigma is weird but if you have the patience to let it warm up, it does get really interesting.

flat_lander and galos11 like this.
  15. flat_lander

Society Trader

#55 flat_lander, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    GOBLIN, BeerMe1013, Jinx989 and 2 others like this.
  16. BeerGreg

BeerGreg May 17, 2013 Illinois

En route to visit the family this weekend. I picked up A Wizard is Never Late and Meme Girls. Both are damn good offerings!

17. emerge077

emerge077 Apr 16, 2005 Illinois
    Society Trader

Fjord! Norwengland IPA is the real deal.
    Paired a pint with killer brisket & al pastor tacos at Tacology 101 in Springfield.
    [​IMG]

18. flat_lander

Society Trader

19. swenny916

swenny916 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Had the same meal. Everything was delicious!

emerge077 likes this.
  20. ECCS

ECCS Oct 28, 2015 Illinois

Hey everyone - I’ll be in Bloomington/Normal on Friday this week. I don’t have a lot of time for beer hunting, but I plan to stop and Binnys and maybe one other place.

Any tips on what’s available from tripitch this week via distro? Also and recommendations on a second bottle shop? Thanks!

21. Jinx989

Jinx989 Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Friar Tuck and Hyvee are your best bets for bottles and cans, Hyvee is in the same shopping center as Binnys. You can stop by Destihl Brewery on the way to Binnys for crowler's to go its right off the Interstate, check the beer hall menu for what's available.If you find you have more time check out Lil Beaver or White Oak taprooms as well.

22. J_Mueller

J_Mueller Jul 9, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Binny's and Friar Tuck are your best bet. The Hy-Vee by Binny's also has a pretty good beer selection and should have Triptych.

Looks like Because Stout 03 and You Want the Fox Haze just dropped this week, hoping to pick some up today. Cheers!

23. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Excellent advice here. Binnys, HyVee and Friar Tuck - they're all within 7 minutes of each other. And there is a Krispy Kreme in there too ...

24. Jinx989

Jinx989 Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

And a Portillos or Giordano's as well.

flat_lander and Jason1221 like this.
  25. Jason1221

Jason1221 Apr 7, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I will add that these Triptych beers have been going fast in BN. If you strike out and have time for the detour, Campaign area - stores and the brewery itself - are your safest downstate bets. I will say Triptych has been knocking it out of the park lately. Everything I've had has been really great, and AJ's remains one of my favorites. You have an official fan boy here!

Not to detour the thread from the Triptych love...but in other downstate news, on the Destihl front...I was excited to see them have their base RIS Privyet w/Bananas, Cinnamon, and Vanilla available on draft and in crowlers (still on). Happy to see them have some fun on the stout side of things outside of Dos Day itself!

Jinx989, flat_lander, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  26. macewank

macewank Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Damn.. That does sound good. I'll have to swing over this evening

Jason1221 likes this.
  27. Jason1221

Trader

I think it's been there...going on two weeks. Decent ratings, too, ~4.2 so that's good! I haven't tried my crowler yet.

I will say I like these stealthy one-off brewery releases where you can also take some home.

28. Tunerstyle63

Tunerstyle63 Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Picked up Because 03 and Fox today in western Illinois so it is out there. Not sure on the deliery schedule out on the eastern front though.

29. flat_lander

Society Trader

I think my central IL super mule contingency gotcha covered. Looks like they canned Dank Meme today. Not sure if that'll hit distro to BloNo by Friday or not though.

I had a Fox Haze on tap the day it came out last Friday. The galaxy in it had some serious bite to it, and I love galaxy. I've got some cans in my fridge that I've been sitting on to see if it tones down a bit. I loved Because #03. Well balanced coffee stout that drinks easy despite the hot weather we've been having. My fav of the Because line so far. Definitely grab a 4 pack if you can.

BloNo guys, those raspberry or peach brett bottles still on shelf by you?

Jason1221 and ECCS like this.
  30. Jason1221

Trader

Are you talking batch401 raspberry (is it a sour)? Not sure on the bretts. I did see a peach one still here as a single bottle.

31. flat_lander

Society Trader

Yes, Batch 401 - No Stranger To Love is a Raspberry Brett. Priarie Peach Picnic is a peach brett. They come in 500 ml bottles.

Jason1221 likes this.
  32. Jason1221

Trader

Yes, seen both recently 'in the wild' :slight_smile:

FBarber and flat_lander like this.
  33. 3xAnthony

At this rate, bottles of Batch 401 will be out there when we release Batch 500 in July ;-)

34. flat_lander

Society Trader

I am okay with this. I like 401. Got an ETA on 1704 opening up? Pretty excited to check the new space out.

35. bshadley7

bshadley7 May 31, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Anybody know what's fresh at tryp. Would like to stop and get some dank meme if it's under a month. Driving from Chicago to Indy

36. flat_lander

Society Trader

@bshadley7 Their website is pretty good about being up to date on to go offerings. Dank Meme was canned maybe a week ago. Don't sleep on Virgil - BB aged rye barleywine. It's pretty fantastic and still available in cans from the looks of it. Fjord was recently canned and worth grabbing. Prob Neo. Lots of good stuff right now.

37. StealYourFaceStout

StealYourFaceStout Sep 8, 2017 Illinois

Just have to bump this thread. Batch 500 was outstanding and from the looks of it Sweet Jumps is coming back. Triptych putting out some awesome stuff.

flat_lander and BeerMe1013 like this.
  38. flat_lander

Society Trader

I will second the Batch 500 love, and see your bump sir. Who says the IL legislature can't accomplish anything?!

StealYourFaceStout likes this.
  39. kreg02

kreg02 Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Sorry I know its late but...

StealYourFaceStout likes this.
  40. kreg02

kreg02 Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

More current, looks like its that time of year for a Chicagoland drop!

Jason1221 and flat_lander like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.