Tröegs announces the release of two beers this fall HopCyclone Hazy Double IPA & Master of Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,641) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Tröegs Independent Brewing announces the release of two beers for the fall season – the brand new HopCyclone Hazy Double IPA and perennial favorite Master of Pumpkins, available in 16oz cans for the first time ever.

HopCyclone’s haze is built with a grain bill of pilsner malt, Vienna malt and wheat, which helps prop up hop oils that would normally fall out during fermentation. The combination of Citra, Sabro, Simcoe and Sultana hops work together to elicit notes of ripe pineapple, soft citrus and juicy peach, while London 3 yeast boosts the beer’s vivid tropical notes.

To learn more about HopCyclone including the meaning behind its name, a virtual tasting of the beer, its brewing process and captivating artwork, please read the full story at our blog.

For Master of Pumpkins, this once-a-year fall favorite begins with 3,000 pounds of Pennsylvania longneck pumpkins grown especially for Tröegs at nearby Strites Orchard. The brewery kitchen staff roasts the pumpkins in-house and passes them off to the brewing team, who purees the entire lot and adds it right into the mash tun. The result is a subtly spiced pumpkin ale featuring notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, caramel and vanilla.

[​IMG]

For a deeper dive into Master of Pumpkins, please check out our blog for the full story.

Both HopCyclone and Master of Pumpkins are available on draft and in 16oz cans everywhere Tröegs beer is sold.

2. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (345) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I feel like I’m having deja vu...still love you troegs :slight_smile:

IronLover, tzieser and ESHBG like this.
  3. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (337) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Another hazy IPA from Troegs?! You don't say! Although I do have to admit that I have enjoyed every hazy they have put out thus far and for me it beats an old-school IPA. However, if given the choice it would be nice to see them do something different.

And oddly enough I have yet to try MOP but have always wanted to so this will be a good opportunity. And more importantly this is a pumpkin beer late to the game [due to the format] so it will actually still be on the shelves in October :wink:

jonphisher likes this.
  4. IronLover

IronLover Poo-Bah (1,997) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Not a big fan of the pumpkin ales but Master of Pumpkins is one of the better ones and I may indulge. Troegs does make very good rotating DIPAs and I will not pass this one by. They make great lagers and would love to see them make some Imperial Lagers and IPLs. Those styles are just so underrated IMO.

ESHBG likes this.
  5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Anyone try HopCyclone? Currently rated 4.22 on Untappd, which is high for a Tröegs beer.

jonphisher likes this.
  6. hillind

hillind Aspirant (270) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I liked it, hides the 9% really well. That score seems a little high imo, but it was an enjoyable beer. I got some nice peachy flavors out of it.

ESHBG and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  7. ESHBG

Is it like a bigger version of Lucky Holler? If so I will probably enjoy this beer then.

eagles22 likes this.
  8. hillind

I think that’s a pretty fair description. I would grab a 4 pack if you like Lucky Holler. I really think they did a solid job hiding that ABV. I almost never have 2 DIPAs back to back, but I probably could have with this. It disappeared pretty quickly.

DavetotheB, eagles22 and ESHBG like this.
  9. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Good to know before picking up. Wasn’t impressed with Lucky Holler. Love almost all of Tröegs stuff, but their hazies don’t do it for me.

10. hillind

Their Hazy beers definitely have a certain profile, and this one followed suit for me.

11. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (702) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Interesting! Great brewery! Drinking a Troegenator now.

12. ESHBG

Great to hear, thank you! I really enjoyed LH and while I don't do DIPAs much anymore it sounds like I will enjoy this.

hillind and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  13. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Does ESHBG = East Shore Harrisburg?

14. ESHBG

Close, east side, but I guess that would work too :wink: I left many years ago, though, and am now in Philly.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  15. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Yea, I vaguely remember saying you left. Where is the East Side (forgive my ignorance)? Is that like Midtown/Uptown area?

Few good breweries there now. Some on the West Shore too.

ESHBG likes this.
  16. ESHBG

Nah more towards Penbrook if you're familiar. And speaking of fun fact: the borough of Penbrook used to be called East Harrisburg. I lived all around the area and spent more time in the northern and southern areas of the city (I lived in Shipoke for a bit too, awesome neighborhood but the occasional flooding really sucked) but there's a backstory with my name so I just stuck with the ES.

Yeah I still have family and friends in the area and I have been impressed with what they have been telling me. Do you have any favorites?

17. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

I’m familiar with the names of the areas. I lived in both Uptown/Midtown by the governor’s mansion and Midtown/Downtown by the YMCA. Love Shipoke area too - ones of the nicest places to live minus the flooding IMO. So nice in the downtown area. Would love to move back.

All the ones I’d recommend are all ones I’m sure you’ve had - Ever Grain, Pizza Boy, Zero Day (for location - Midtown).

ESHBG likes this.
  18. ESHBG

So I saw both of these, at one store $14.49 per pack and the other $14.99. For me it was a pass, as I can't imagine I would enjoy either that much. I will look for singles or on draft.

19. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (159) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I'm enjoying the Hop Cyclone, as well as the Hop Harvest they just put out. What I'd really like more, even on the disappointment side of things, frankly, is to see Troegs break from the through line that they've got going on for my personal palate for what seems like the past three or four years.

Most of their hoppy offerings have been really agreeable, or better. Some have been quite nice and I've consumed a bunch of them. Just seems like there's a wide swath of their hazy beers that definitely computes as similar to me.

BeastOfTheNortheast and hillind like this.
  20. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Agree as far as Haze Charmer and Lucky Holler go. Very similar IMO.

21. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (345) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I feel more and more recently that I’m becoming a price limit shopper on beer. It’s been helping decide what to buy too. I’d been so good about it and picked up an unpriced lager four pack assuming 12$ max, 15$ :astonished: when I was rung up. Never again, time to be more strict with my purchases.

22. ESHBG

For sure. I am not drinking as much beer these days and I am way more price conscious because over my many years of being a craft beer connoisseur generally speaking I have found that I don't enjoy the $15 four pack that much more than the $10 six pack so thinking purely economically it's not worth it to me. There are of course exceptions and things like BA beers I will still purchase because I understand the time and effort that went into those and you get a lot of bang for your buck. But with things like these two Troegs beers, pretty run of the mill when I look at the current selection on shelves.

Troegs seasonals have gotten pretty expensive. They do seem to still move but it's interesting for sure.

23. hillind

This is the main reason these are usually one time purchases for me. I trust Troegs enough that I know I won’t get a bad beer, but I can’t justify repeat purchases at these price points. I’m usually glad I try them, but then I’m good.

jonphisher likes this.
  24. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Very valid point. Many great beers for $10 or less a 6er here in PA. Can hit up Sheetz and leave there with a fresh 6er of Hazy Little Thing or a 4 pack of 16 oz cans of Hazy Memory for under $10.

ESHBG and jonphisher like this.
  25. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,221) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I don't usually buy DIPAs as strong as 9% anymore, but I may pick up Hop Cyclone. That hop combo, plus the price of $13.99 a four pack here is tempting. I haven't ever had a bad beer from Troegs.

26. ESHBG

We are so much closer to the brewery yet still paying more. Gotta love it ha ha

27. jackflaps

jackflaps Initiate (48) Jul 26, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I haven't seen Hop Cyclone in the wild yet, but that's what Wegmans was charging for a four-pack of MoP when I was there the other day. They must get a deal on distribution.

28. ESHBG

That's interesting and which one? Wegmans KOP was $14.99.

29. jackflaps

jackflaps Initiate (48) Jul 26, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

State College

30. ESHBG

Ah okay. Guess we have the luxury of Philly prices even though we are closer to the brewery :slight_frown:

31. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (742) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Hop Cyclone is here in Mass at Yankee Spirits! Will try this weekend. Used to be a huge Troeg's fan. Haven't had much lately, eager to try this one.