Tröegs introduces Lucky Holler Hazy IPA to its Hop Cycle series

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,641) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    August 4, 2020

Tröegs Independent Brewing announces the release of its new hazy IPA for fall, Lucky Holler. The beer joins the brewery’s popular Hop Cycle line-up of seasonally rotating IPAs.

Lucky Holler is inspired by the brewery’s annual pilgrimage to the Pacific Northwest for hop selection. Brewers walk row after row of hops, inspecting the bines, crushing the flowers in their hands and rubbing them until their oils fill the air.

“We go to Yakima to select hops for the beers that everybody knows and loves,” says Tröegs brewmaster and cofounding brother John Trogner. “Beers like Perpetual IPA, Nimble Giant and Nugget Nectar. And we’re also open to discovering new hops or combinations that might inspire us, an 'a-ha' moment where a new recipe starts taking shape.”

To learn more about Lucky Holler, including how the haze affects its flavor, please read the full story on our blog.

2. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (337) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

HELL YES, ANOTHER HAZY IPA! I have been waiting for this and there aren't many to choose from these days. :stuck_out_tongue:

But a few thoughts:
    • I am glad that there is no Mosaic in this. I am so sick of this hop and the six pack of Founders Mosaic Promise I nursed recently really did it in for me...my nose and my palate just does not care for this hop much anymore.
    • The London 3 yeast may give it an interesting flavor.
    • Sad to see Hop Knife being replaced by this, I enjoyed that beer.
    • Filed Study was enjoyable so maybe this will be as well.
    Below is the beer's info for those interested. It will also be included in their Fall Anthology pack along with Perpetual, Java Head Stout, Fest Lager (https://troegs.com/sampler-pack/anthology-fall-sampler/):

https://troegs.com/beer/lucky-holler-ipa/

3. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

One thing about Tröegs is that their Scratch Series usually leads to something very good and I think this will probably be good as well.

I like to look at the past Scratch Series beers that led up to the release of a beer and see the reviews/ratings.

It does suck that Hop Knife won’t be out this Fall as that was always a solid beer. But I think they see where the market is going and have to follow that path.

Can’t wait to try this one especially since Field Study was on point this year.

Blogjackets and ESHBG like this.
  4. ESHBG

I saw that they have a Scratch Series Dunkel right now, I can only hope that beer makes it somewhere...Troegs does Lagers well and I wish that they made more.

https://troegs.com/beer/dunkel-lager-2/

And interesting that the yeast is "Mexican-style Lager" so hopefully they have one of those planned too.

5. hillind

hillind Aspirant (270) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

It’s pretty good, better than Haze Charmer IMO.

6. ESHBG

How about Field Study?

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  7. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (223) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Solid fall pack.

8. hillind

It’s a different beer from Field Study, Lucky Holler is full on haze. I prefer Field Study, but this was good too. I would have rathered Hop Knife stuck around tho.

9. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (345) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

that’s good to hear, I personally didn’t enjoy haze charmer. It had a good flavor then it almost dissipated to nothing, I kept waiting for a bitterness after each sip and it never came. I’d describe it as hop tea, does lucky holler have any bitterness?

10. hillind

Yes, there is some bitterness to this beer. It also has a much fuller feel to it then Haze Charmer. I like it, I’m just generally leaning away from hazy beers lately.

11. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (345) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

im with you too. Lately all the hoppy beers I’ve bought have been non hazy. I honestly forgot how much I actually liked them.

hillind and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  12. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Have a friend who works there. Basically said the same thing. Better version of Haze Charmer. Unfortunately, I thought HC was ok. Felt like it was missing something.

IronLover, hillind and jonphisher like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,688) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Count me 'in' as another person that is kinda getting tired of Juicy/Hazy IPAs.

'Going back' to the classic American IPAs that are not hazy, have some bitterness, etc. is for me.

I already discussed two beers in the WCIPA thread. Always room for more folks to show some love there.

Cheers!

YamBag, DavetotheB, IronLover and 3 others like this.
  14. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Count me in as getting sick of the hazies as well. Would be nice if these breweries that are pumping out amazing hazies, such as New Trail (even though I love their stuff), would pump out more WCIPAs. The only one in their lineup that is a WCIPA that I can think of is SOB. They have do have it in their regular lineup though.

Saved a bottle of Torpedo for that thread, Jack. Will be added sometime this weekend.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  15. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Initiate (158) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I thought the regular lucky holler they did last year was very tasty. Anxious to try the hazed version

16. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (268) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

How did they axe Hop Knife, which I look forward to every year as their fall seasonal, but keep the utterly mediocre Blizzard of Hops as their winter seasonal?

17. ESHBG

Nah I don't think that's a good idea either, when the shelves were full of nothing but regular IPAs that got pretty old too.

I'm looking forward to the next trend and then down the road hearing people say that they miss the hazies. :wink:

18. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Didn’t want to give you a “like”, but I’ll be nice.

I’m not saying to have them overtake hazies, but it’d be nice if these breweries would push out a few more WCIPAs when doing releases.

Every week, New Trail releases an IPA and it’s always a hazy. Like once per month, how about a traditional IPA?

ESHBG and JackHorzempa like this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

I agree with you here. A couple/few more non-hazy IPAs would be nice.

Cheers!

20. ESHBG

But there's no shortage of regular IPAs on the shelves as it is and if you want a hazy or a non-hazy IPA right now you could just close your eyes and point and you'll probably hit on one. But you can't do that with many other styles (Sours may be a fast close second, though).

21. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Back to my original post. Would still like breweries such as New Trail to push out more WCIPAs in place of the hazies.

Jaycase, JackHorzempa and hillind like this.
  22. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Devotee (476) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

The New England phenomenon has made me crazy over hoppiness and bitterness. I often can't tell what is meant by the terms since good hop flavor may not be bitter. FWIW I prefer bitter beer. Your mileage may vary. I think I’ll have a stout and relax.

23. JackHorzempa

Society

Yes, when a person describes a beer as being hoppy there can indeed be ambiguity.

During the brewing process hops can be added at various time with differing goals per addition:
    • Hop added at the beginning of the boil (typically a 60 minute boil) are intended for bitterness; this is referred to as the bittering addition.
    • Hop added towards the end of boil (last 15 minutes of boil or less) are referred to as the flavoring addition.
    • Hop added at the end of boil & whirlpool are referred to as the aroma addition.
    Much of what we refer to as flavor often comes from the aroma. So, for beer the last boil additions can be lumped together and called flavor/aroma hopping additions.

For beers that really feature a BIG hop aroma like IPAs hops are also added post fermentation and this is called dry hopping. Dry Hopping provides the ultimate in hop aroma.

When I details beer qualities I try my best to qualify what I mean by hoppy via bitterness and/or flavor/aroma.

When it comes to a beer style like IPAs I personally prefer for the beer to have notable bitterness along with a strong hop flavor/aroma. I recognize that for some folks that prefer the Juicy/Hazy IPAs that there preference is for less bitterness.

Cheers!

24. ESHBG

I tried a single of this recently, it is very good and if you like hazies you'll love this; I would purchase a six of this. For me it was one of the better Troegs IPAs but I prefer lower bitterness so take that FWIW.

25. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Devotee (403) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This pretty much defined the mediocrity of the style. It wasn't bad, just wasn't good. $1.50 one single, more than enough. Why are we so afraid of a little bitterness in our beer?

YamBag and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  26. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Agree. Had it last night and it was ok.

27. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Initiate (158) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Tried Lucky Holler last night and really enjoyed. Anyone now if this is a seasonal or will be part of regular lineup? Sorry if it’s already been asked here

28. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,140) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Had a trio of pints tonight with dinner. Extremely drinkable.

29. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Appears to be the Fall seasonal for this year.

Bhubbard34 likes this.
  30. ESHBG

Fall seasonal, unfortunately it replaced Hop Knife.

Bhubbard34 likes this.
  31. oneraindog

oneraindog Initiate (28) Oct 6, 2003 Pennsylvania

HopKnife being packaged next week or the following for brewery sales only.

hillind and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  32. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Hop Knife > Lucky Holler

hillind likes this.
  33. ESHBG

Unfortunately doesn't help me much unless I am back in HBG again but thank you, at least it's good to know that it's still being packaged.

34. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (17) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

That sucks, Hop Knife was my favorite beer of theirs. Can't do the hazy stuff with oats, at least they disclose that to the customer which I appreciate.

ESHBG and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  35. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (159) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Happy that Hop Knife lives on. Looking forward to grabbing some.

Lucky Holler is my favorite drinkin' beer that they've made in the hoppy realm in a long time. Some of the scratch beers that were in that vein were really offensively average. Nice to see them turn it around with this one. I was big on Field Study when that came around this year, but I like the Holler even more.

36. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Going to try this again. Picked up a 12er since it was the only fresh, lower ABV IPA the store had. Haven’t had an IPA in a few weeks, so thinking this might be a little bit better this time.

ESHBG likes this.
  37. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Had 2 of these last night. The 2nd one is when this beer really made sense to me.

It is a good beer, but it just doesn’t have that signature Tröegs flavor profile that their old school beers (Perpetual, Nugget Nectar, Nimble Giant) have that I’m used to. I think it’s more of a mental thing because of this. If you slapped on some other brewery’s label, it would be a different experience for me.

The Simcoe and Galaxy hops really jump out with the Citra hop being subdued quite a bit. I’m ok with that though. This is a good everyday drinker that’s for sure.

ESHBG and jonphisher like this.