Tröegs Nugget Nectar - 2021 Release

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, Dec 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Crusader (724) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

O no I definingly believe it off batches of course. Even if a breweries quality control is perfect all it takes are some harvesting issues with hops not coming out as normally and that alone can through off a batch. Beer is an Agricultural product. So of course Troegs has off batches as many other breweries do. But I hate the constant blame being put on the brewery when things like the Lupulin shift especially in todays world is absolutely a huge factor now more then ever before. And lets face it times have changed. I use to think Sam Adams was hoppy when I first had it in a bomber, but now I don't at all anymore and haven't for a long time. Should I assume Sam Adams cant get Boston lager right anymore after all this time they been brewing it. Should I assume more often then not that Troegs can't hit the target on a beer they been brewing since 2004? Does the vastly changing beer scene and all the beers we have consumed since our first squeeze have something to do with it? There are many more factors out there then just blaming Treogs.

2. DEdesings57

Trader

This is exactly my point!

DrStiffington and jonphisher like this.
  3. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (981) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

So how do you explain one bottle being quite good and the next one with a different date being quite blah? This happens year after year after year.

Enjoy

JayORear, jesskidden and JackHorzempa like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,612) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I was able to do a similar side-by-side tasting at TJs. FWIW, I always preferred Nugget Nectar on regular draft since I thought that cask and Nitro 'dumbed down' the hop aroma/favor too much.

Maybe the 'new' Nugget Nectar beers are the functional equivalent of drinking a Nitro Nugget Nectar beer?

Cheers!

5. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,555) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

6. JerzDevl2000

JerzDevl2000 Poo-Bah (4,573) Oct 7, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

I've said this before in past threads and in my review of it many moons ago but back in the winters of '05 and '06 when I *really* started to get into craft beer, this was the one release that I looked forward annually to more than any other. Both of those winters were awful here in terms of the cold and snow and when I saw this on the shelf in mid-February in the store that I used to frequent often, my face lit up like a kid a Christmastime.

Sure enough during those years, I took it home, cracked one open one night and couldn't ever remember anything I've had before (or since) feeling this good on the nose as it seemed like the whole room ended up smelling like hops, as I even kept the empty bottle around for a while just to be able to get those last whiffs in before the aroma faded away.

Over the years, my love for this beer stayed the same as it seemed to go down in quality bit by bit. Next thing I knew, Troegs changed locations and I started to drink more beers, many of different styles and varieties, and then the IPA boom of the last few years took off with everything switching from bottles to cans. Somehow, this ended up becoming just another pedestrian offering that I grabbed for old-times sake, before I stopped being unable to keep up with everything that I wanted to try, and ultimately review on here.

Seeing this thread has me wondering if I should get a 4-pack of it in cans this year although it's out way too early for my likes as I'm wondering if this batch will finally meet my expectations. That still remains to be seen...

JayORear, T-RO and hillind like this.
  7. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (429) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had a fresh Hopback the other day and it was actually more hoppy than the NN I had recently ha ha

hillind and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  8. hillind

hillind Aspirant (286) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Last time I was at the brewery I had a draft Hopback and it was really good!

ESHBG likes this.
  9. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (45) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

The NN I bought this week definitely tasted different to me. It is fruitier and doesn't have much hop bite, tastes more like a hazy IPA. I won't be buying another six pack this year.

10. DEdesings57

Trader

Are you saying that two different Nuggets from the same six pack or 4-pack with the same Date Code have inconsistent flavors? If so I find that hard to believe because I can confidently say that I have consumed two 4-packs of nugget nectar with a best by date of 5/12/21 and each can has tasted the same to me, all were consistent. Especially with the amount of filtration that the beer goes through.

Now whether or not the beer was good or not is a decision each beer drinker must make on their own.

I did buy them refrigerated I might add

#130 DEdesings57, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  11. nh2032

nh2032 Devotee (401) Oct 15, 2009 New York

Nugget Nectar finally showed up in Upstate NY. Had my first and tastes pretty great to me. Lots of pine. Subtle grapefruit. Likely will be in for at least another sixer.

For those that are tracking batches 12 oz can, best by 5/11/21.

12. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (470) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Enjoying my first of the year. As far as I can tell, it tastes the same every year, so I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.

13. 1009

1009 Zealot (523) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Happy to hear, such a flavorful beer in my opinion, I remember having one last summer and being pleasantly surprised

14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,994) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It finally hit my part of NJ. The sixer I have is dated 5-08, and I'm enjoying my first bottle now. It's definitely got a solid bitter bite, and is nicely aromatic. It's probably a notch down from the "classic" days, but it's still a damn tasty beer and I'm happy with it. This won't be my last six.

15. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (759) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Also picked up a 6 of bottles dtd, 5/8. Tastes delicious as always to me. I always scratch my head each year at the complaints. Just seems like so many are expecting a hoppy bitter IPA rather than a well balanced amber ale. Just the right balance of malt and hops for me. I'll probably pick up another 4 or 6 pack before it disappears.

DEdesings57, TongoRad and Rocktire like this.
  16. DEdesings57

Trader

KingforaDay and TongoRad like this.
  17. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

For those annoyed with Troegs "Freshest By" date coding, it sure appears to me that the digits on the second line represent the canning date - 4 months and one day (go figure) earlier - after the military time, in YYMMDD format.
    [​IMG]

18. oneraindog

oneraindog Initiate (23) Oct 6, 2003 Pennsylvania

pretty sure the coder uses the packaging date +120 days, 150 days or 180 days depending on brand being packaged. With February being a short month, the coder made the date four months plus one day.

TongoRad likes this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, figured it was something like that.:wink: (Shoulda checked last year, since it was a leap year :grin:).

oneraindog likes this.
  20. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,212) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Bought a 4 pack last week and wish I bought more. Delicious beer.

Btw, beers can have batch variation and at the same time people can experience lupulin shift.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.