Troegs barrel aged troegenator

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by baetix, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baetix

baetix Nov 25, 2011 Pennsylvania

Barrel-aged Troegenator. Drops Monday, only in Hershey. #troegsway #craftbeer #pabeer https://t.co/uxGUz0yLpV

I was much more impressed with the BA Mouflan, but this was still good. Still hoping for a BA Impending Descent.

2. ninjembro

ninjembro Jun 17, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Hoping it's not $48/4pk......

cello and DIM like this.
  3. stakem

stakem Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

They only mention "oak barrels" in their release statement and on the label. Last release was bourbon and they advertised it as such. I wonder if this release is a mix of different barrels, virgin oak or something different.

I wasnt a big fan of the last release while fresh but a friend recently shared one of the 750's with me and it really aged into something nice.

4. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Aug 28, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I noticed that too. I tweeted them asking what ever happened to BA Troegenator before they announced its release and the reply said "bourbon barrel aged Troegenator" would drop 2/29. But their subsequent tweet announcing its release just said barrel aged, and the photo seems to support that too.

I've since tweeted asking for clarification, but I'm assuming no bourbon. I'll provide update if/when they respond.

5. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Aug 28, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Reply to inquiry confirmed that it is bourbon barrel aged Troegenator.

6. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore Feb 17, 2011 Maryland
    Society

Has anyone heard anymore updates on this (price, #bottles, limits, etc.)? I assume it will be similar to BA Flying Mouflan, but you never know.

7. oneraindog

oneraindog Oct 6, 2003 Pennsylvania

Pretty sure it will be $9/375ml bottle, around $20/four pack, and in the mid-80s for a case. There is a very sizable amount - won't be selling out in a day, week or month.

jmdrpi, jbaker67 and stephenjmoore like this.
  8. ninjembro

Trader

No way it's that cheap. It was $12/375 for mouflan with no 4 pack/case discount. If it's around 80 a case I'll get a whole case easy lol, I was expecting to get only a 4 pack and to have to spend almost 50 bucks for it

9. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore Feb 17, 2011 Maryland
    Society

@oneraindog is a pretty reliable source for Troegs info.

jbaker67 and jmdrpi like this.
  10. oneraindog

I try. :wink:

jmdrpi likes this.
  11. mad3air

mad3air Dec 16, 2013 Delaware

This math doesn't add up... if it's $9 a bottle, it'll be somewhere around $32-35 a 4-pack if they're discounting.

12. oneraindog

If there's a preference for a higher price, we can accommodate. :slight_smile:

Truth be told, we like to sell beer. We offer it at a price the market will bear. We are trying not to make super exclusive beers that require waiting in long lines, muling, and various other annoyances that cause more anger than happiness. We are also establishing a pricing system that will translate into the marketplace when we can reach sufficient volumes to ship our splinter beer series to wholesalers.

We have PLENTY of this beer to sell. And we want people to drink it. The price should never make the consumer feel that have to put a beer on a shelf and stare at it and determine the perfect moment for the beer. Feel free to buy a four pack or a case. Just enjoy it.

estans2, zekeman17, Mongrel and 11 others like this.
  13. ninjembro

Trader

According to the facebook post today, limit 5 cases per person

That's a high limit!

14. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

And this will only beer available directly from troegs? No distro?

15. DIM

DIM Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yep, brewery only.

16. Elivictus

Elivictus Aug 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

How's the line and the price?

17. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Crazy concept, eh?

Sarcasm aside, a big +1 to Troegs on this. I loved barrel-aged Flying Mouflan, but no discount for a 4 pack was hard to swallow on that one. Nice to see the change in approach.

18. jbaker67

jbaker67 Jul 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Line wasn't bad. $9/bottle, $17.99/four pack, $95.99/case.

19. ShanePB

ShanePB Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

I hope they last into the evening, planning on heading over after work. It's a high limit, so I hope there is enough to go around.

20. Elivictus

Elivictus Aug 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

4 pack price seems low. Typo or is the price fluctuation really that much?

21. jbaker67

jbaker67 Jul 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Not a typo.

22. ninjembro

Trader

Going after work, should get there around 4-4:30, hoping there's still some left, though it sounds like it won't be a concern!

23. DIM

DIM Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Nice price! Looking forward to enjoying a couple of 4 packs.

24. orangesol

orangesol Dec 6, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

So the GM of the entire brewery says there is plenty to go around, might even last for weeks or even months, and we are still wondering if it will last one night? :rolling_eyes:

It will be there when you get there. Relax.

corby112, Dogleg, sj3324 and 3 others like this.
  25. ShanePB

Society

Ah, I missed that part of the 'sizable amount.' Cheers!

26. ninjembro

Trader

Anybody crack one yet? Drinking one now -- pretty good, though not getting much bourbon. Not quite what I remember from the '14, though I had that very fresh and it was way before I got bigger into craft beer. Still a damn good beer.

27. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

How does it taste vs. regular Troegenator?

Cheers!

28. ninjembro

Trader

To be honest, and to be fair I haven't had it in quite some time, but I'm not a big fan of regular Troegenator at all. I will say this though, as BBA Troegenator warms, it kinda does the opposite of most BBA beers. Most I find get better as they warm, but as this beer warms, a lot of whiskey flavors come out, and not in the best way. Tastes like someone took a shot of jack daniels and just dropped it into the beer. It's not awful, but not exactly what I'd expect. Definitely one to drink before it gets too warm.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  29. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This is an excellent beer. This is a REALLY excellent beer for $4ish a bottle with the case price. Count me among the people expecting a $30-35 4/pack, and at under $100 for a case of 24, the price to quality is untouchable locally, especially considering this beer is actually available without taking a day off.

Awesome job, Troegs. Can't wait to buy future releases.

30. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Alright, I'll be the one to ask - why would you buy this beer if you're not a fan of the base beer?

NickCaff and sbb32 like this.
  31. ShanePB

Society

These bottles are tasting really good. And the price point is killer. Thank you, Troegs.

ravenwork and jbaker67 like this.
  32. Houser

Houser Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

my guess is he wanted to try it to see if time in the barrel made it more enjoyable to him. just a hunch though.

33. ninjembro

Trader

Partially what @Houser said about seeing if time in the barrel made it more enjoyable, but also I really liked the BBA Troegenator 2 years ago when I had the chance to try it, so I wasn't a complete stranger to it.

jmdrpi likes this.
  34. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm iso this beer if anyone got ahold of more than they need. Not real sure what I have to offer as I'm only in Pittsburgh. Has hop juju made it out that way?

35. ShanePB

Society

I had Hop Juju on draft this past Sunday out here. So, it's here somewhat.

36. sj3324

sj3324 Jun 9, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Fat Heads does not distribute in the Hershey/Harrisburg area.

37. ShanePB

Society

Yeah seems like Philly and surrounding areas I guess. Looks like they're being distributed by Penn Beer and Gretz Beer Co. Berks County is getting them so it's not too far of a drive for you guys if you're looking for it!

38. zekeman17

zekeman17 Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Any update on the BA Troegenator availability?
    I'm thinking of making a run Saturday morning, but
    don't want to waste a 3 1/2 hour round trip if it sells
    out before then. I know they said they made plenty,
    hoping somebody that has been there can confirm.

39. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

It's never a waste if you're going to Troegs. Great place.

Scope4Beer and zekeman17 like this.
  40. sj3324

sj3324 Jun 9, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

@oneraindog said they wouldn't be selling out in a month, so you should be good, even if they are selling faster than planned.
    Did anybody ever hear if this was 100% Bourbon Barrel Aged, or if it was a blend?

zekeman17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.