Troegs releases new year-round hazy IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by SunDevilBeer, Mar 2, 2020.

1. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (640) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Last Friday, per Troegs:

Normally I wouldn't care about yet ANOTHER hazy IPA/Pale on the market, but I'm fond of Troegs' beers and find them reasonably priced. Looking forward to trying this one.

Edit - not an IPA, but a Pale Ale

#1 SunDevilBeer, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2020
    NodEast and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (437) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Hopefully they are more consistent with this one. I hear it's pretty good - a hazy version of Solid Sender.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  3. hillind

hillind Aspirant (261) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I thought Haze Charmer was pretty good. Went down very easy and I could see it being a nice warm weather beer. Packed a lot of flavor into a 5% beer. I think I paid $19.49 for a 12 pack of cans.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  4. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (155) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I think Haze Charmer is solid, not unlike the ninety recent versions leading up to it under the scratch series. Nothing spectacular. Had a can of it yesterday and it was good. To be fair, I kind of finished it quickly due to various factors. I can see that being a beer I revisit in a big way once the weather warms up for good and outside activities increase.

Would not call it a hazy Solid Sender at all. Very different beers.

hillind and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  5. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Good to hear different perspectives.

6. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (275) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Here's my thoughts from NBS if anyone is interested. I enjoyed it a lot and will be a great warm weather beer and definitely hits the hoppy and ABV sweet spot for me (I can barely finish most IPAs anymore):

New Beer Sunday (Week 784)

jonphisher and hillind like this.
  7. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (231) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Looking forwards to trying this one when it makes it to south jersey which I’m assuming is pretty soon.

8. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Have you had South County's Cosmic Nod? If so, is it similar to that? If not, can you compare it to any other beer you've had?

9. onthebusin03

onthebusin03 Initiate (155) Jan 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I'd have to throw out the aroma and hop character of Cosmic Nod, given how prone I am to instantly isolate fresh Nod to that big passion fruit rush of Galaxy. South County's hoppy beers have a very distinct flavor which I'm hard pressed to identify. To be fair, the majority of their beer is the Intervals series, which as far as I can tell, uses a very narrow lane of malt composition, maybe even identical.

I've also heard some interviews with South County affiliated individuals and they can at times come across as a little tight lipped about ingredients and/or process. Nothing wrong with that, really, but that kind of hinders my ability to decipher things. You know how it goes.... if you know what you're looking for, it is far easier to find it.

Have you had any of the recent scratch series Hazy Pale Ales from Troegs? Those are almost entirely in the same vein as Haze Charmer, albeit with some variation here and there. 403, for example, pushed a little more pineapple for me because of the Vic Secret in the hop bill.

The thing about Solid Sender to Haze Charmer, though.... Per the Troegs website, in all of its 100% gospel glory, there is no crossover of any malts. Different yeast. Only Mosaic in common from a hop perspective.

Not trying to belabor that point, but rather expand upon how I got there.

ESHBG and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  10. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,684) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

• Malt:
      • Honey Malt, Malted Wheat, Oats, Pale Malt, Unmalted Wheat
    • Hops:
      • Citra, El Dorado, Lotus, Mosaic
    • Yeast:
      • London 3
    Anyone have any other beer featuring Lotus hops? Based on quick google search, looks like they were only commercially available starting in 2019.

11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (275) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I haven't that I recalled but I was curious recently and saw this list:

https://www.ratebeer.com/tag/lotus-hop/

I didn't get through it all so maybe there is something on there that I have tried.

12. BeastOfTheNortheast

Trader

Had this last night. Nothing to write home about. Was hoping for it to be my go to Summer beer, but won't get it again.

13. BrewHound601

BrewHound601 Initiate (51) Jan 30, 2020

oh no "here comes the " haze again "falling on my head like a memory" WHY, why o why more haze... one word FIL-TRA-TION

YamBag likes this.
  14. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (51) Dec 5, 2019

Awesome!!!!!

Just kidding. Who gives a shit.

15. jonphisher

Trader

I was excited to try this cause I love troegs so much. Just got a six pack but I’m kind of saddened by it. It’s got good flavor and it’s pretty clean and drinkable but zero bitterness. If it had some bite I’d love it. Same as you @SunDevilBeer could care less for another haze beer but I bought cause of troegs, I’ll gladly finish the six but won’t buy again sadly. Oh well still love you troegs.

16. jmdrpi

Society

I agree. Aroma and flavor is pretty good but a little too sweet and too thin bodied.

17. jonphisher

Trader

yea it is really good for the most part but that one thing makes it lose so much. Do you think the lack of any bitterness at all relates to the feeling of being thin?

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  18. jmdrpi

Society

I think maybe, because West Coast style IPAs are by their natural thin bodied but you get more of a "crisp" sensation with those instead.